Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Blake Bortles Has Been Named Week One Starter [merged]

(This post was last modified: 08-26-2017, 08:52 AM by TealHammer.)

Multiple sources reporting this. Let the spin begin.

From AP story:

The person says coach Doug Marrone broke the news to Bortles on Saturday, and was expected to publicly address his decision after practice. The person spoke to The Associated Press on the condition of anonymity because the team had not formally announced the move.

The outcome ends a quarterback competition that lasted a little more than a week.

Marrone opened the job after Bortles turned in a flat performance against Tampa Bay in the preseason. The coach implored Bortles and veteran Chad Henne to "go out there and take it."

Bortles presumably did enough in Thursday's exhibition loss to Carolina to keep the starting job he's had the last three years. The third overall pick in the 2014 NFL draft will make his 46th consecutive start when the Jaguars open the season Sept. 10 at Houston.

My Thoughts:

Maybe this is the right call.  But Bortles won't get to play with starting offense against backup for two quarters @ Houston. I feel like this competiton was poorly handled like just about everything else related to Jaguar football.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

My heart goes out to all those involved in having to choose between Bortles and Henne. No man should ever be subjected to that kind of abuse.

(08-26-2017, 08:49 AM)TearExtractor Wrote: My heart goes out to all those involved in having to choose between Bortles and Henne. No man should ever be subjected to that kind of abuse.

Hahaha

(08-26-2017, 08:49 AM)TearExtractor Wrote: My heart goes out to all those involved in having to choose between Bortles and Henne. No man should ever be subjected to that kind of abuse.

Laughing

How can anyone still believe Henne should be the starting quarterback. What we seen on Friday was the same check down henne who constantly throws the ball on third and log short of the first down marker. Most of the time he stares down one receiver an seldom goes to his second and third option. That's how it has been in the past and was Friday night. I'm not crazy about Blake but he out played Henne Friday and won that games battle. If they don't have confidence in Blake then I don't care how late int the preseason it is they need to bring in a QB to help win this year and draft the the future next year. All the money Khan spends on upgrades will not increase fan support if this team is under 500 again this year. We can't take a chance of Henne delivering a concussion by hitting the online players in the back of the head with passes.

This is the worst run organization In football.

Although neither quarterback has been overall impressive, this was the correct decision.

(08-26-2017, 09:00 AM)BklynJag Wrote: This is the worst run organization In football.

Because they had a QB competition and then named a starter?  Yeah, they suck.

I'm ok with Bortles I guess.  With Henne you kind of knew they'd win about 4 games.  With Bortles inconsistency they could win 0 games...or they could win 9.  In any case, why not give him one more shot?  I would have liked to have seen Allen play a bit with the ones.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Bortles named starter

http://www.jaguars.com/news/article-Jagu...ebe3834041

Blake Bortles to start at quarterback for the Jaguars in 2017 regular-season opener September 10 at Houston

Happiest man in Jacksonville now is Chad Henne, who is also Blake Bortles' biggest fan since he gets to go back to the sideline and carry a clipboard around for millions of dollas. In the meantime, BB will get the heck kicked out of him out there with Marrone's offensively offensive line.

I think Henne took one snap, a kneel-down to boot, all last season (correct?) and surely looks to do less this year.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

As I said. Purely a motivation method deployed by Marrone. Hopefully it works.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(08-26-2017, 09:03 AM)hb1148 Wrote:
(08-26-2017, 09:00 AM)BklynJag Wrote: This is the worst run organization In football.

I'm ok with Bortles I guess.  With Henne you kind of knew they'd win about 4 games.  With Bortles inconsistency they could win 0 games...or they could win 9.  In any case, why not give him one more shot?  I would have liked to have seen Allen play a bit with the ones.

I would like to see Allen play with the ones, as well. Maybe we'll get to see more of him next Thursday.

(08-26-2017, 09:03 AM)hb1148 Wrote:

That was no QB competition.

(08-26-2017, 08:59 AM)dennisp3 Wrote: How can anyone still believe Henne should be the starting quarterback. What  we seen on Friday was the same check down henne  who constantly throws the ball on third and log short of the first down marker. Most of the time he stares down one receiver an seldom goes to his second and third option. That's how it has been in the past and was Friday night.  I'm not crazy about Blake but he out played Henne Friday and won that games battle.  If they don't have confidence in Blake then I don't care how late int the preseason it is they need to bring in a QB to help win this year and draft the the future next year. All the money Khan spends on upgrades will not increase fan support if this team is under 500 again this year. We can't take a chance of Henne delivering a concussion by hitting the online players in the back of the head with passes.

Henne as a starter is a ridiculous idea, but Bortles continued lack of mental growth makes it harder than it should be to make the decision.

That said it's clear that for this team Henne wouldn't win many games no matter what, but there's still a chance Bortles gets hot for a few games or just starts to mentally get it. Either way if Bortles doesn't win a lot of games it's likely he'll find himself cut in the off-season.

So sayeth Debbie Downer, eternal self soiler and seeker of misery.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Eh, I'm okay with this. The "competition" was always a motivator for Blake. Henne never had a realistic shot of starting, unless he went out and played lights out against Carolina, which I think the majority of the free world knew would never happen. Marrone was always safe from having to make that decision.

The real travesty here was never bringing any real competition in for Blake in the first place.

(08-26-2017, 09:08 AM)BklynJag Wrote:
(08-26-2017, 09:03 AM)hb1148 Wrote: Because they had a QB competition and then named a starter?  Yeah, they suck.

That was no QB competition.

Only because Allen was not in the mix. Thank God Henne was not given the starting job. I am not a Blake fan but Henne starting would be a disaster.

(08-26-2017, 09:13 AM)FBT Wrote:

So sayeth Debbie Downer, eternal self soiler and seeker of misery.
Prove me otherwise.

Told you all it was all a show because, the official depth chart never removed his name or / Chad.

now were Riding the storm out (REO Speedwagon)
“You may never know what results come of your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results.”
“If you find a way to motivate an idiot you have a motivated idiot”

(08-26-2017, 09:10 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(08-26-2017, 08:59 AM)dennisp3 Wrote: How can anyone still believe Henne should be the starting quarterback. What  we seen on Friday was the same check down henne  who constantly throws the ball on third and log short of the first down marker. Most of the time he stares down one receiver an seldom goes to his second and third option. That's how it has been in the past and was Friday night.  I'm not crazy about Blake but he out played Henne Friday and won that games battle.  If they don't have confidence in Blake then I don't care how late int the preseason it is they need to bring in a QB to help win this year and draft the the future next year. All the money Khan spends on upgrades will not increase fan support if this team is under 500 again this year. We can't take a chance of Henne delivering a concussion by hitting the online players in the back of the head with passes.

Henne as a starter is a ridiculous idea, but Bortles continued lack of mental growth makes it harder than it should be to make the decision.

That said it's clear that for this team Henne wouldn't win many games no matter what, but there's still a chance Bortles gets hot for a few games or just starts to mentally get it. Either way if Bortles doesn't win a lot of games it's likely he'll find himself cut in the off-season.

I think ultimately it comes down to which turd has the most up side.  Neither option is really going to spark inspiration, but behind that line at least you have a QB in Bortles who can extend plays.  That's all I've got.  Two crappy options to pick from.  A turnover master or a check down machine.  It's like picking between the fat ugly girl eager to please, or the smoking hot girl with every known STD. Sometimes you've just gotta throw caution to the wind.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]