Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Blake Bortles Has Been Named Week One Starter [merged]

I said from the very beginning that this was most likely just Marrone trying to light a fire under Bortles' a**. Bortles is our best option week 1. You know the offense hasn't had Lee or Fournette most of the preseason right? Getting these 2 in the lineup should provide a big boost. Bortles and Lee were establishing a nice rapport with each other. I think Lee, if he stays healthy, has a bigger year than Robinson.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-26-2017, 09:19 AM)FBT Wrote:
(08-26-2017, 09:10 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: Henne as a starter is a ridiculous idea, but Bortles continued lack of mental growth makes it harder than it should be to make the decision.

That said it's clear that for this team Henne wouldn't win many games no matter what, but there's still a chance Bortles gets hot for a few games or just starts to mentally get it. Either way if Bortles doesn't win a lot of games it's likely he'll find himself cut in the off-season.

I think ultimately it comes down to which turd has the most up side.  Neither op option is really going to spark inspiration, but behind that line at least you have a QB in Bortles who can extend plays.  That's all I've got.  Two crappy options to pick from.  A turnover master or a check down machine.  It's like picking between the fat ugly girl eager to please, or the smoking hot girl with every known STD.

I think that's an exaggeration, but the way I'd put it is with Henne you get a very consistent performance which isn't very good but that if your whole team is excellent you can plan around because you know what you're going to get even though it's not good, but there will be an interception or two that probably don't go for a TD.

With Bortles you don't know what you'll get because he has a tendency to go off script and can occasionally make a blindingly bad choice that gets you scored on. Still with this team I think it's possible for them to win more games when good Blake shows up and accept bad Blake will show up every now and then and probably cost the team a game because it's not a good enough roster to make up for it.

(This post was last modified: 08-26-2017, 09:27 AM by SunriseCottage.)

Hmmmmmmm...........who to ask to dance? Mom's Mabley or Grannie Clampett?

Henne gets to continue his CTE-free career. Happiest man in Jax today.

Let's start the dude who threw 2 interceptions against the 3rd string defense of Carolina.

Bortles is a better QB than Henne by the slimmest of margins. Check Down Chad has a limited skill set. Blake is the epitome of hot and cold. Hard to win when he is a turnover machine, but Henne is a slower version of what he was last time he started.
Only a chump boos the home team!

Very risky with the guaranteed $19M next year if he gets injured. He's going to get sacked at least 5 times behind the pathetic OL. Watt, Clowney and Mercilus are going to be in the backfield all day.

(This post was last modified: 08-26-2017, 09:37 AM by dennisp3.)

AT this point the front office should be planning for the forthcoming cuts to find some help at guard this season. It may take a couple of seasons games to get them ready before they get into the starting lineup, but it may be the only way to provide some hope we don't experience another depressing season.

(08-26-2017, 09:31 AM)BklynJag Wrote: Let's start the dude who threw 2 interceptions against the 3rd string defense of Carolina.

You can't seriously believe Henne would be a better option if you have to pick from the QB's on the roster. If you don't then what is your point.

(08-26-2017, 09:26 AM)SunriseCottage Wrote: Hmmmmmmm...........who to ask to dance? Mom's Mabley or Grannie Clampett?

Trick question. Mom's Mabley for slow jams and Grannie for booty shakin..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

Frangie had one of the best takes on the Bortles decision:

@Frank_Frangie

But after watching line, etc., I feel like Jags are going to need splash plays to win. Off schedule, scramble plays. Blake better at that.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(08-26-2017, 09:31 AM)BklynJag Wrote: Let's start the dude who threw 2 interceptions against the 3rd string defense of Carolina.

I agree with most of what you say, but Henne is just bad man. The OC needs to run an offense that utilizes Bortles strengths to get him some confidence back.

As my grandfather always said.....when you are stuck, be gracious.

Can't wait for lamping to tell us how local revenue was down dramatically this year at the next state of the Jaguars. It's a damn clown show

(08-26-2017, 09:55 AM)BklynJag Wrote: Can't wait for lamping to tell us how local revenue was down dramatically this year at the next state of the Jaguars. It's a damn clown show

Can't wait for bad news on the Jags front? Nahhh, not you? Laughing

My God you are a soft, miserable, pouting dude. Sick Please for all that is holy never post here again.  Don't go away mad, just go away.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

It's the right decision for now. If Bortles has a couple of back to back terrible performances in the early to mid part of the season it might be (and probably will be) the last time you ever see him on the field as a Jag.

Even the most pessimistic amongst us knows that the best case scenario for all involved is for Bortles to play well this year so we can make use of the 5th year option next year and continue evaluating him. I know that's not the most likely scenario though. Even if he plays poorly, we likely have too much overall talent to get us in position for a top 3 pick next year to get a guy that has a better chance of panning out than someone later in the draft.

(08-26-2017, 09:19 AM)FBT Wrote:
(08-26-2017, 09:10 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: Henne as a starter is a ridiculous idea, but Bortles continued lack of mental growth makes it harder than it should be to make the decision.

That said it's clear that for this team Henne wouldn't win many games no matter what, but there's still a chance Bortles gets hot for a few games or just starts to mentally get it. Either way if Bortles doesn't win a lot of games it's likely he'll find himself cut in the off-season.

I think ultimately it comes down to which turd has the most up side.  Neither option is really going to spark inspiration, but behind that line at least you have a QB in Bortles who can extend plays.  That's all I've got.  Two crappy options to pick from.  A turnover master or a check down machine.  It's like picking between the fat ugly girl eager to please, or the smoking hot girl with every known STD.  Sometimes you've just gotta throw caution to the wind.

I do have to like that analogy!

(08-26-2017, 09:05 AM)PF* Wrote: Happiest man in Jacksonville now is Chad Henne, who is also Blake Bortles' biggest fan since he gets to go back to the sideline and carry a clipboard around for millions of dollas. In the meantime, BB will get the heck kicked out of him out there with Marrone's offensively offensive line.

I think Henne took one snap, a kneel-down to boot, all last season (correct?) and surely looks to do less this year.

Can't say he's ecstatic, but no doubt he goes back to having one of the best "jobs" in the world. Make millions of dollars to carry a clipboard and have no risk of serious physical injury/concussions which would impact the rest of his life after football. He has seemed almost too accepting of his role as Blake Bortles' backup in the past. After watching the Jags 1st string offensive line get beaten by reserve Panther D-linemen in the 4th quarter, who can really blame him? In a few years he'll be collecting a nice pension and be able to go onto the rest of his life with good health.

(08-26-2017, 10:02 AM)Jagwired Wrote:
(08-26-2017, 09:55 AM)BklynJag Wrote: Can't wait for lamping to tell us how local revenue was down dramatically this year at the next state of the Jaguars. It's a damn clown show

Can't wait for bad news on the Jags front? Nahhh, not you? Laughing

My God you are a soft, miserable, pouting dude. Sick  Please for all that is holy never post here again.  Don't go away mad, just go away.

*fist bump*

Of the QBs on the roster right now, Bortles had to start because of the mobility factor. I think we all know he's not the answer but he is the best option at the moment. I do like how the same people stay so negative about this team but will always root for them. Go Jags!

The WRs, especially the ones who want to get paid now need to step up for their QB and be reliable.

@vitostellino Look for Bortles to put up good garbage time stats-- down by 9 in last 5 minutes -- in Houston. Best in league in that category last 2 years