Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Blake Bortles Has Been Named Week One Starter [merged]

If Blake Bortles throws a similar amount of balls this year and less than 10 interceptions, he will have a career interception rate almost identical to Drew Brees, Andrew Luck, Philip Rivers, and Ben Roethlisberger.

Think about that...

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-26-2017, 11:37 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(08-26-2017, 09:31 AM)BklynJag Wrote: Let's start the dude who threw 2 interceptions against the 3rd string defense of Carolina.

Do you remember the last time Henne started a regular season game?

Think back.

Try early 2014 vs the Colts.

Remember how painful that was to watch?

The first quarter against Carolina...that's what we got from Henne.

Yeah, and Henne was much younger then, closer to his " prime ".

I get why they are rolling with Bortles for now, and the offensive line struggles are a major part of the reasoning.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They simply have more flexibility in their play calling with Bortles on the field (as opposed to Henne.)

They can run those roll outs with an intermediate target and a dump-off for him to quickly choose between.

They can insert a designed QB run play here and there.

They can count on Blake to avoid about a third of the sacks that Henne would take when a guard or rookie tackle gets blown up.

They know Blake won't be as indecisive about throwing downfield when they dial that up. (even if his accuracy is suspect)

They need all the smoke and mirrors possible to get the run game going -- which means a variety of screens or RB pass plays. A mobile QB will help in those situations.(Henne throwing the ball at Cann's helmet on a pass to Ivory didn't help him in this regard)
They'll need to practice the crap out of these though to get Bortles timing and accuracy better on the quick stuff to the RB. He places the ball where they have to twist awkwardly to turn upfield and he delivers it late often.

(08-26-2017, 09:19 AM)FBT Wrote:
(08-26-2017, 09:10 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: Henne as a starter is a ridiculous idea, but Bortles continued lack of mental growth makes it harder than it should be to make the decision.

That said it's clear that for this team Henne wouldn't win many games no matter what, but there's still a chance Bortles gets hot for a few games or just starts to mentally get it. Either way if Bortles doesn't win a lot of games it's likely he'll find himself cut in the off-season.

I think ultimately it comes down to which turd has the most up side.  Neither option is really going to spark inspiration, but behind that line at least you have a QB in Bortles who can extend plays.  That's all I've got.  Two crappy options to pick from.  A turnover master or a check down machine.  It's like picking between the fat ugly girl eager to please, or the smoking hot girl with every known STD.  Sometimes you've just gotta throw caution to the wind.

This post was brought to you by the good folks at Durex...... "We're not number one, but we're up there! "
[Image: Welcome%20to%20Duval_zps4z3erxne.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 08-26-2017, 12:51 PM by Jax82.)

Chenne Had looked good for the first 30 minutes against the Eagles in 2014. 17-0.

He has gotten better since then too.

I'd rather have a seasoned veteran leading this team than Byron Bottles.

(08-26-2017, 11:33 AM)Protozoa Wrote:
(08-26-2017, 09:31 AM)BklynJag Wrote: Let's start the dude who threw 2 interceptions against the 3rd string defense of Carolina.

It was one pick and Hurns should have caught it. The other one was a 2 point conversion and if he would thrown it away you would be crying about that too.

While Blake's decision making does still need work, that throw to Hurns should have been caught. 

Reminds me of the Robinson INT in the end zone last year. Was a bad throw, but the ball hit him in the hands. Hurns even bobbled another pass later on.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Chad upon hearing the news -

[Image: cmt-medium.gif]
60% of the time, It works Everytime...

[Image: BS5hg.jpg][Image: m5Lb.jpg][Image: 5YnyA.jpg][Image: U2VW7.jpg]

Ryan O'Halloran‏Verified account @ryanohalloran 1h1 hour ago
More
#Jaguars cut LB Audie Cole (one of their prioritized special teams signings in off-season). Leaves one roster spot open.

(08-26-2017, 11:54 AM)FreeAgent01 Wrote: If Blake Bortles throws a similar amount of balls this year and less than 10 interceptions, he will have a career interception rate almost identical to Drew Brees, Andrew Luck, Philip Rivers, and Ben Roethlisberger.  

Think about that...

Sounds awesome until you think about the chance he throws less than 10 interceptions.

(08-26-2017, 01:11 PM)Jstewie15 Wrote: Ryan O'Halloran‏Verified account @ryanohalloran  1h1 hour ago
More
#Jaguars cut LB Audie Cole (one of their prioritized special teams signings in off-season). Leaves one roster spot open.

Wow, that's really interesting. Probably trying to stash him on the PS? Seems early for that. 

Can't drop two TDs and expect to be safe I guess.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(08-26-2017, 01:22 PM)mvannostran Wrote:
(08-26-2017, 01:11 PM)Jstewie15 Wrote: Ryan O'Halloran‏Verified account @ryanohalloran  1h1 hour ago
More

Wow, that's really interesting. Probably trying to stash him on the PS? Seems early for that. 

Wrong Cole

(08-26-2017, 01:21 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(08-26-2017, 11:54 AM)FreeAgent01 Wrote: If Blake Bortles throws a similar amount of balls this year and less than 10 interceptions, he will have a career interception rate almost identical to Drew Brees, Andrew Luck, Philip Rivers, and Ben Roethlisberger.  

Think about that...

Sounds awesome until you think about the chance he throws less than 10 interceptions.

He had 8 tipped interceptions last year. I think its very possible. I think he probably throws 10-12 this year.

(08-26-2017, 01:23 PM)UFreeAgent01 Wrote:
(08-26-2017, 01:21 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Sounds awesome until you think about the chance he throws less than 10 interceptions.

He had 8 tipped interceptions last year.  I think its very possible.  I think he probably throws 10-12 this year.

I hope so man, I hope so.

(08-26-2017, 01:23 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(08-26-2017, 01:22 PM)mvannostran Wrote: Wow, that's really interesting. Probably trying to stash him on the PS? Seems early for that. 

Wrong Cole

Oh wow... That's what I get for reading fast. Never mind me. 

Carry on.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(08-26-2017, 01:23 PM)FreeAgent01 Wrote:
(08-26-2017, 01:21 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Sounds awesome until you think about the chance he throws less than 10 interceptions.

He had 8 tipped interceptions last year.  I think its very possible.  I think he probably throws 10-12 this year.

And why do you think he had so many tipped? Just plain bad luck?

Partly bad luck like the screen pass he was throwing into the dirt that Yeldon kicked or the touchdown pass to Robinson that was thrown into his chest.

Partly throwing balls that were not perfectly placed into tight windows that his receivers didn't win and resulted in picks.

(08-26-2017, 01:25 PM)mvannostran Wrote:
(08-26-2017, 01:23 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Wrong Cole

Oh wow... That's what I get for reading fast. Never mind me. 

Carry on.

haha    As soon as you mentioned the PS I new you misread my post lol

(08-26-2017, 01:37 PM)FreeAgent01 Wrote: Partly bad luck like the screen pass he was throwing into the dirt that Yeldon kicked or the touchdown pass to Robinson that was thrown into his chest.

Partly throwing balls that were not perfectly placed into tight windows that his receivers didn't win and resulted in picks.

You seem poised to say anything short of Bortles not being a consistent, accurate thrower of a tight NFL caliber pass, coupled with being a poor reader of NFL defenses. While I really wish this weren't the case for his and all of our sake, I highly predict he will continue to have these conditions. Which sucks for all of us. Queue the GH Day music......

Every quarterback has weaknesses. Throwing a wobbly ball isn't a disqualifier for being a good quarterback in the NFL...

(08-26-2017, 01:48 PM)FreeAgent01 Wrote: Every quarterback has weaknesses.  Throwing a wobbly ball isn't a disqualifier for being a good quarterback in the NFL...

But throwing a wobbly and INACCURATE one is. Coupled with not learning how to read D's. Toxic mix. Look, I want him and the Jags to do well too, but the denial has to stop. How long do you want to suck, exactly?