Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Blake Bortles Has Been Named Week One Starter [merged]

Except we aren't talking about accuracy here. We are talking about ball placement. Blake doesn't "miss" throws any more than any other quarterback in the league. We are talking about catchable balls that aren't being caught by the right team. Maybe I am old school in my thinking that if a ball hits a receiver in the palms of his hands that its his fault if he doesn't catch it.

If you want to see Blake complete "prettier" passes, give him some separation on a more consistent basis and a cleaner pocket.

We are chasing away a young, gunslinger quarterback that has improved in the areas he was told to improve on, every single year.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 08-26-2017, 02:04 PM by keeper88.)

(08-26-2017, 01:55 PM)FreeAgent01 Wrote: Except we aren't talking about accuracy here.  We are talking about ball placement.  Blake doesn't "miss" throws any more than any other quarterback in the league.  We are talking about catchable balls that aren't being caught by the right team.  Maybe I am old school in my thinking that if a ball hits a receiver in the palms of his hands that its his fault if he doesn't catch it.

If you want to see Blake complete "prettier" passes, give him some separation on a more consistent basis and a cleaner pocket.

We are chasing away a young, gunslinger quarterback that has improved in the areas he was told to improve on, every single year.

Wow. We are clearly watching 2 different players, or are you trolling me? Just in very recent examples, I challenge you to find a qb on any NFL roster miss those 2 passes against the bucs that badly. Those were very clean pockets too. There are many more examples. 

And frankly I couldnt give a crap if they're "pretty" but you should also know a tighter ball has a better chance...

(08-26-2017, 01:55 PM)FreeAgent01 Wrote: Except we aren't talking about accuracy here.  We are talking about ball placement.  Blake doesn't "miss" throws any more than any other quarterback in the league.  We are talking about catchable balls that aren't being caught by the right team.  Maybe I am old school in my thinking that if a ball hits a receiver in the palms of his hands that its his fault if he doesn't catch it.

Dude. C'mon. 

Blake Bortles threw dozens of incredibly inaccurate balls to wide open receivers last year. That is not an exaggeration in the slightest. He threw lots and lots of uncatchable balls and he threw lots of balls that forced the receivers to make ridiculous adjustments instead of hitting them in stride. 
He also missed out on huge potential gains often by staring down one receiver and forcing the ball into coverage. 
There was plenty of separation. He just has crap timing too often and doesn't even bother to make two reads half of the time.

Not surprising. Henne didn't really move the ball or wow anybody against Carolina. Bortles is still going to make his mistakes though. We saw that against Carolina. Threw a pick that got carried all the way to the 5 yard line and then he damn near threw a 95 yard INT going back the other way as well.

In all honesty it doesn't matter at this point. The offensive line is glaringly weak. The front four on defense isn't consistently getting into the backfield. The linebackers are missing tackles, the secondary depth is terrible. Either way you slice it this is a five to six win team if we're lucky.

I don't really know what else the front office can do now this late in the game. We're stuck with turd sandwich and giant douche at the QB position this year. Guess we'll have to accept that as fans. My only concern though is the Guard positions. I at least feel like after what's happened between Omameh, Cann and Bowanko that they should consider going after Nick Mangold at Center if he's still out there on the market and consider kicking Linder inside to Guard just for 2017 until it can be addressed correctly in 2018.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

And btw, what exactly has he improved on??

(08-26-2017, 02:05 PM)keeper88 Wrote:

And btw, what exactly has he improved on??

Just a guess but he probably means interception rate, which Bortles has improved every year.

(This post was last modified: 08-26-2017, 02:12 PM by FreeAgent01.)

(08-26-2017, 02:03 PM)keeper88 Wrote:

Wow. We are clearly watching 2 different players, or are you trolling me? Just in very recent examples, I challenge you to find a qb on any NFL roster miss those 2 passes against the bucs that badly. Those were very clean pockets too. There are many more examples. 

And frankly I couldnt give a crap if they're "pretty" but you should also know a tighter ball has a better chance...

Those passes happen every single game, but you either don't pay attention to them or you are hypervigiliant to every negative play Blake will ever have. I suspect both, but mostly the second.

(08-26-2017, 02:08 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(08-26-2017, 02:05 PM)keeper88 Wrote: And btw, what exactly has he improved on??

Just a guess but he probably means interception rate, which Bortles has improved every year.

Bingo.

(08-26-2017, 02:08 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(08-26-2017, 02:05 PM)keeper88 Wrote: And btw, what exactly has he improved on??

Ok. Applause for him on that.   I stand corrected. So I guess that just about does it then... our franchise qb has (re)arrived

So happy about this. I knew yesterday that this would be announced. Glad to see Blake have such a good showing in last nights game. It's time everyone get behind Bortles. He needs to see some love. He will prove his worth. Go Jags

(This post was last modified: 08-26-2017, 02:21 PM by keeper88.)

(08-26-2017, 02:11 PM)FreeAgent01 Wrote:
(08-26-2017, 02:03 PM)keeper88 Wrote: Wow. We are clearly watching 2 different players, or are you trolling me? Just in very recent examples, I challenge you to find a qb on any NFL roster miss those 2 passes against the bucs that badly.  Those were very clean pockets too.  There are many more examples. 

Those passes happen every single game, but you either don't pay attention to them or you are hypervigiliant to every negative play Blake will ever have.  I suspect both, but mostly the second.

(08-26-2017, 02:08 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: Just a guess but he probably means interception rate, which Bortles has improved every year.

Bingo.

Uh, dead wrong pal. Just tired of the sucking and denial going hand to hand.  BB does not pass the eye test to be a good much less franchise qb in the NFL by any knowledgeable and objective person today.  But I still wear my #5 jersey and pull for the kid if he's our guy, as do my boys I bought them for (who at 20'ish have never seen a good Jags team in there real watching years and I fear may lose faith in this groundhogs day dumpster fire scenario)!

Our franchise quarterback may or may not be here. The point is that he isn't a bad quarterback and certainly not worse than the worst backup in the league hyperbole that too many are using.

We can win with him. The offense's issues are way more numerous than just Blake Bortles. We have a terrible offensive line, bad tight ends, essentially no fullback, adequate (but slightly overrated) wide receivers, and a rookie running back TBD. This just isn't a good offensive team and our playcalling has been proven incredibly predictable.

(08-26-2017, 02:19 PM)FreeAgent01 Wrote: Our franchise quarterback may or may not be here.  The point is that he isn't a bad quarterback and certainly not worse than the worst backup in the league hyperbole that too many are using.

We can win with him.  The offense's issues are way more numerous than just Blake Bortles.  We have a terrible offensive line, bad tight ends, essentially no fullback, adequate (but slightly overrated) wide receivers, and a rookie running back TBD.  This just isn't a good offensive team and our playcalling has been proven incredibly predictable.

You can't be serious.

You haven't even seen Hackett call a game yet with his own playbook. LOL.

(08-26-2017, 02:19 PM)FreeAgent01 Wrote: Our franchise quarterback may or may not be here.  The point is that he isn't a bad quarterback and certainly not worse than the worst backup in the league hyperbole that too many are using.

We can win with him.  The offense's issues are way more numerous than just Blake Bortles.  We have a terrible offensive line, bad tight ends, essentially no fullback, adequate (but slightly overrated) wide receivers, and a rookie running back TBD.  This just isn't a good offensive team and our playcalling has been proven incredibly predictable.

The offenses issues are deeper, yes. But to say he isn't bad is denial, and laughable everywhere outside of pockets of Tealtown. Sad but true.

(08-26-2017, 12:25 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I get why they are rolling with Bortles for now, and the offensive line struggles are a major part of the reasoning.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They simply have more flexibility in their play calling with Bortles on the field (as opposed to Henne.)

They can run those roll outs with an intermediate target and a dump-off for him to quickly choose between.

They can insert a designed QB run play here and there.

They can count on Blake to avoid about a third of the sacks that Henne would take when a guard or rookie tackle gets blown up.

They know Blake won't be as indecisive about throwing downfield when they dial that up. (even if his accuracy is suspect)

They need all the smoke and mirrors possible to get the run game going  -- which means a variety of screens or RB pass plays. A mobile QB will help in those situations.(Henne throwing the ball at Cann's helmet on a pass to Ivory didn't help him in this regard)
They'll need to practice the crap out of these though to get Bortles timing and accuracy better on the quick stuff to the RB. He places the ball where they have to twist awkwardly to turn upfield and he delivers it late often.

Bingo. Nail - Head. 

From Jaguars.com

Quote: "He has the ability to extend plays for us, which I think is going to be helpful," Marrone said.

"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(08-26-2017, 02:20 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

You can't be serious.

You haven't even seen Hackett call a game yet with his own playbook. LOL.

This was in reference to every year up until now, obviously. Specifically the numbers that came out where last season where we passed on 3rd down in 3 wide sets 100% of the time without even one single run.

Bortles reminds me of a young kerry collins. Does anyone know if he likes to fish?

Honestly between the two i'm fine with it.
No Fun

as bad as both qb's are... bortles was slightly less worse

at least he is mobile and can move the ball at times...

we still going to suck

(08-26-2017, 09:19 AM)FBT Wrote:
(08-26-2017, 09:10 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: Henne as a starter is a ridiculous idea, but Bortles continued lack of mental growth makes it harder than it should be to make the decision.

That said it's clear that for this team Henne wouldn't win many games no matter what, but there's still a chance Bortles gets hot for a few games or just starts to mentally get it. Either way if Bortles doesn't win a lot of games it's likely he'll find himself cut in the off-season.

I think ultimately it comes down to which turd has the most up side.  Neither option is really going to spark inspiration, but behind that line at least you have a QB in Bortles who can extend plays.  That's all I've got.  Two crappy options to pick from.  A turnover master or a check down machine.  It's like picking between the fat ugly girl eager to please, or the smoking hot girl with every known STD.  Sometimes you've just gotta throw caution to the wind.

As long as there is a cure for the STD's I know who I am going to be seen in public with.  Now which one was which?
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

While starting Bortles will at least make for watchable games, I hope to God he doesn't get injured. I don't wanna be on the hook for that huge 5th year option.