Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Blake Bortles Has Been Named Week One Starter [merged]

At the end of the day, I suspect that the decision was made not because of ability, but more towards the age factor.  Bortles is still a young player and could possibly develop into a serviceable option.  Henne on the other hand is in the sunset of his NFL career, there is really no "developing" him anymore.  He is what he is.

I would guess that the long range plan would be to either draft a QB, snag someone in free agency, or perhaps make a trade for someone that would be an upgrade.  The current option(s) in FA right now would not be an upgrade.  A trade right now would make no sense unless you really want "that guy" and you are absolutely convinced that he would be an upgrade.  Perhaps a "prospect" might be released on cut-down day.

As far as people calling for Brandon Allen right now... just stop.  He's not going to be an upgrade.  He would be a disaster should he be thrown into a regular NFL game with the 1's.  He's going through a "development" phase right now and is likely not going to be on the team next season, especially if we draft a QB.  Quite frankly, he might not even make the final 53 this season.  I wouldn't be shocked if he was on the practice squad.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-26-2017, 04:37 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: edited by mod

What happened to my post, it was relevant to Bortles starting the season

(08-26-2017, 07:55 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: At the end of the day, I suspect that the decision was made not because of ability, but more towards the age factor.  Bortles is still a young player and could possibly develop into a serviceable option.  Henne on the other hand is in the sunset of his NFL career, there is really no "developing" him anymore.  He is what he is.

I would guess that the long range plan would be to either draft a QB, snag someone in free agency, or perhaps make a trade for someone that would be an upgrade.  The current option(s) in FA right now would not be an upgrade.  A trade right now would make no sense unless you really want "that guy" and you are absolutely convinced that he would be an upgrade.  Perhaps a "prospect" might be released on cut-down day.

As far as people calling for Brandon Allen right now... just stop.  He's not going to be an upgrade.  He would be a disaster should he be thrown into a regular NFL game with the 1's.  He's going through a "development" phase right now and is likely not going to be on the team next season, especially if we draft a QB.  Quite frankly, he might not even make the final 53 this season.  I wouldn't be shocked if he was on the practice squad.

Yea after how awful Allen handled the blitz last game told me all I needed to know about him, he is not ready to play in a real NFL game. On a 4th down play to end the game he throws the ball away, come on man chuck it to the WR, if its picked off it doesnt matter
<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

But, but, but where are all the people saying Henne is the better option and that he gives this team the best chance at winning games? LOL!!!!!

(This post was last modified: 08-26-2017, 08:43 PM by FreeAgent01.)

(08-26-2017, 06:31 PM)keeper88 Wrote:
(08-26-2017, 06:19 PM)J-Mizzal Wrote: There are a lot of guys who are great pure passers of the ball, it doesnt mean jack all, Kyle Boller Jamarcus Russell are better pure passers of the ball then Peyton Manning that doesnt mean much.

The fact is Henne results over his career are worst then Bortles, better go with the guy who has some kinda legs and can extend plays when the rush is coming.
You're changing the debate. 

Hold it right there. You said this isn't debatable. Is it or isn't it?

(08-26-2017, 08:11 PM)J-Mizzal Wrote:
(08-26-2017, 07:55 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: At the end of the day, I suspect that the decision was made not because of ability, but more towards the age factor.  Bortles is still a young player and could possibly develop into a serviceable option.  Henne on the other hand is in the sunset of his NFL career, there is really no "developing" him anymore.  He is what he is.

Yea after how awful Allen handled the blitz last game told me all I needed to know about him, he is not ready to play in a real NFL game. On a 4th down play to end the game he throws the ball away, come on man chuck it to the WR, if its picked off it doesnt matter

Unless you are Blake Bortles. Then it matters a whole lot. =P

Don't know about upside but he is the starter...on this team that don't mean much.

Bortles is the best option because he can sense when the O line has failed to protect him and he has to run for his life. This about 90% of pass plays. Henne might make a good deep throw, but chances are our O line will always get beat. I feel like Hackett's game plan will be to just not turn the ball over and make it to 4th down so that we can punt.

(08-26-2017, 09:12 PM)Flagler Jagsfan Wrote: Bortles is the best option because he can sense when the O line has failed to protect him and he has to run for his life.  This about 90% of pass plays.  Henne might make a good deep throw, but chances are our O line will always get beat. I feel like Hackett's game plan will be to just not turn the ball over and make it to 4th down so that we can punt.

You don't have to sense when the o-line fails. When the ball is snapped they fail.

(This post was last modified: 08-26-2017, 09:25 PM by NH3.)

The correct decision was made w/respect to starting the QB that gives us the best opportunity to be successful going forward. Henne could of/should of wrestled the starting job away from BB5 but instead he resulted back to "Check Down" Henne as he's has done in the past. BB5 along/w the deficiencies of our OL is the best combination for potential success concerning our Jaguars and if you can't understand Doug's decision then that's on you.

NH3...

(08-26-2017, 08:11 PM)J-Mizzal Wrote:

This was an eye opener for me as to why the establishment doesn't have confidence in Allen.

Saddening it is.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(08-26-2017, 08:48 AM)TealHammer Wrote: Multiple sources reporting this. Let the spin begin.

From AP story:

The person says coach Doug Marrone broke the news to Bortles on Saturday, and was expected to publicly address his decision after practice. The person spoke to The Associated Press on the condition of anonymity because the team had not formally announced the move.

The outcome ends a quarterback competition that lasted a little more than a week.

Marrone opened the job after Bortles turned in a flat performance against Tampa Bay in the preseason. The coach implored Bortles and veteran Chad Henne to "go out there and take it."

Bortles presumably did enough in Thursday's exhibition loss to Carolina to keep the starting job he's had the last three years. The third overall pick in the 2014 NFL draft will make his 46th consecutive start when the Jaguars open the season Sept. 10 at Houston.

Woohoo! Celebration party at Bortles' house

Then end the night at the Ritz

Instead of drafting Jalen Myrick, in the 7th round we should have taken QB Cooper Rush. He's performed so well in the preseason, that the Cowboys are rumored to make him Dak Prescott's primary backup. At least we would've had some hope for the future.

Cooper Rush cant throw the ball 50 yards have you seen him try to throw hail marys?

(08-27-2017, 01:50 AM)myrick31 Wrote: Cooper Rush cant throw the ball 50 yards have you seen him try to throw hail marys?

Arm strength is completely overrated. Before anything else, I look for accuracy, pocket poise, mechanics and can a QB read a defense and go through all his progressions without locking onto a receiver. If they have a strong arm, that's a bonus, but give me a guy with accuracy and I.Q. over anything else.

Damned if we do, damned if we don't I always say (as a Jags fan).

(08-26-2017, 08:04 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote:
(08-26-2017, 04:37 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: edited by mod

What happened to my post, it was relevant to Bortles starting the season

Your linked video displayed a word that our profanity filter would "bleep out" but it cant read video captioning. 

Doing so in the future will earn warnings.

(08-27-2017, 08:11 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(08-26-2017, 08:04 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: What happened to my post, it was relevant to Bortles starting the season

Your linked video displayed a word that our profanity filter would "bleep out" but it cant read video captioning. 

But, that word is said in rated pg movies.

(08-27-2017, 09:07 AM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote:
(08-27-2017, 08:11 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Your linked video displayed a word that our profanity filter would "bleep out" but it cant read video captioning. 

But, that word is said in rated pg movies.

This board has a code of conduct. I didn't write the rules, but I've been asked to help ensure we all abide by them.  

https://www.duvalpride.com/showthread.php?tid=21106

(08-26-2017, 09:14 PM)jseymour Wrote:
(08-26-2017, 09:12 PM)Flagler Jagsfan Wrote: Bortles is the best option because he can sense when the O line has failed to protect him and he has to run for his life.  This about 90% of pass plays.  Henne might make a good deep throw, but chances are our O line will always get beat. I feel like Hackett's game plan will be to just not turn the ball over and make it to 4th down so that we can punt.

You don't have to sense when the o-line fails. When the ball is snapped they fail.

No that's funny...but true and sad at the same time

(08-26-2017, 09:18 PM)NH3 Wrote: The correct decision was made w/respect to starting the QB that gives us the best opportunity to be successful going forward. Henne could of/should of wrestled the starting job away from BB5 but instead he resulted back to "Check Down" Henne as he's has done in the past. BB5 along/w the deficiencies of our OL is the best combination for potential success concerning our Jaguars and if you can't understand Doug's decision then that's on you.

NH3...

Let's at least get the narrative right.  At the risk of sounding like the Henne cheerleader (I assure you I am not, we have 2 bad choices, so I'll thank Dave Caldwell and co. again...), Henne did not lose this because of the former well known "check down Chad" syndrome, or because Bortles can actually throw the ball better/more accurate.  It looks pretty clearly like he lost the job because DM knows that our line is so horrible that we need a mobile qb -- which is pretty damned sad, but apparently true.  Either that, or it never really was a "competition" and he was sending a message to Bortles.  Frankly I'm not sure, but I don't think the latter was needed --- I don't think Blake is unmotivated, I just think he is incapable.  And before anyone wants to continue with the Chad was any more "check down" mode than Blake thus far, you might want to read these:
@NE
Bortles: 5 short, 0 deep (0% deep)
Henne: 4 short, 2 deep (33%)
TB
Bortles: 12 short, 2 deep (14%)
Henne: 7 short, 3 deep (30%)
CAR
Henne: 10 short, 5 deep (33%)
Bortles: 15 short, 1 deep (6%)
So over these 3 pre-season games that included the DM qb "competition" week, and regardless of who they were matched up against (i.e. 1st's , 2nd's, 3rd's), and regardless of completion % and drops.... Bortles "the gunslingler" attempted 8% of passes deep, while "Check down Chad" attempted 32% of passes deep.  So was this a mobility thing as the PR seems to indicate, or was it never a competition to begin with, but it wasn't the check down syndrome that differentiated.

The difference was the chenne has sucked for ten friggin years. There is still hope BB5 will turn it around. It's a known fact across the globe the chenne will continue to be a suck fest.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.