Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Random Ramblings

(08-30-2017, 10:00 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Will the team forego a FB on the 53 in favor of using TE Alex Ellis as an H-Back hybrid-player?

No chance. Why even pose this?
'02

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-30-2017, 11:37 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(08-30-2017, 10:00 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Will the team forego a FB on the 53 in favor of using TE Alex Ellis as an H-Back hybrid-player?

No chance. Why even pose this?

Have you read the thread title?  That's one reason why.  
Not to mention - it should've been obvious that I was making an attempt to steer the topic back to football and not personal squabbles. 

Also, one of the better beat writers for this team is speculating that it may happen:

Quote:Running Back (4, 7)
Leonard Fournette, Chris Ivory, T.J. Yeldon, Corey Grant (KR) (4, 7)
Rationale: Fournette will likely split touches with Ivory and Yeldon early on, especially after suffering a foot injury that has cost him at least two preseason games. Yeldon is expected to be the third-down back, while Ivory will handle short-yardage duties. Likely to be named the starting kickoff returner, Grant will also be used in specific packages on offense.
Cuts: Jonathan Grimes, Tim Cook, DuJuan Harris, Marquez Williams (FB), Tommy Bohanon (FB)
Tight End (4, 11)
Marcedes Lewis, Ben Koyack, Mychal Rivera, Alex Ellis (FB) (4, 11)
Rationale: Lewis and Koyack have both produced strong training camps. Both are strong blockers and have the ability to catch the ball. Ellis has impressed as a Swiss Army knife on offense, playing tight end and fullback. His emergence may force Tommy Bohanon and Marquez Williams off the roster. Rivera has been injured throughout training camp and the preseason, but the team clearly has faith in him.
Cuts: Caleb Bluiett, David Grinnage, Neal Sterling
http://www.firstcoastnews.com/sports/nfl.../468479040

I think Bohanon is making the 53

It's possible I'm wrong, but I'm convinced Marquez Williams is a lock for the spot.
'02

(08-31-2017, 03:21 AM)Jags02 Wrote: It's possible I'm wrong, but I'm convinced Marquez Williams is a lock for the spot.

Why hasn't he gotten time with the first team then?

(08-31-2017, 04:19 AM)haveaseat Wrote:
(08-31-2017, 03:21 AM)Jags02 Wrote: It's possible I'm wrong, but I'm convinced Marquez Williams is a lock for the spot.

Same reason 4nette aint, saving it for the games that count.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(08-31-2017, 07:31 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(08-31-2017, 04:19 AM)haveaseat Wrote: Why hasn't he gotten time with the first team then?

Same reason Fournette isn't, saving it for the games that count.

Fournette missed time with an injury and would have played with the starters if he was healthy. No, he was not saving it for the games that count.

Preseason games are for new players including seventh round draft picks, and we have gone several years without a true fullback. If Williams is healthy, I would start him.

(08-31-2017, 12:19 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(08-30-2017, 11:37 PM)Jags02 Wrote: No chance. Why even pose this?

Have you read the thread title?  That's one reason why.  
Not to mention - it should've been obvious that I was making an attempt to steer the topic back to football and not personal squabbles. 

Also, one of the better beat writers for this team is speculating that it may happen:

Quote:Running Back (4, 7)
Leonard Fournette, Chris Ivory, T.J. Yeldon, Corey Grant (KR) (4, 7)
Rationale: Fournette will likely split touches with Ivory and Yeldon early on, especially after suffering a foot injury that has cost him at least two preseason games. Yeldon is expected to be the third-down back, while Ivory will handle short-yardage duties. Likely to be named the starting kickoff returner, Grant will also be used in specific packages on offense.
Cuts: Jonathan Grimes, Tim Cook, DuJuan Harris, Marquez Williams (FB), Tommy Bohanon (FB)
Tight End (4, 11)
Marcedes Lewis, Ben Koyack, Mychal Rivera, Alex Ellis (FB) (4, 11)
Rationale: Lewis and Koyack have both produced strong training camps. Both are strong blockers and have the ability to catch the ball. Ellis has impressed as a Swiss Army knife on offense, playing tight end and fullback. His emergence may force Tommy Bohanon and Marquez Williams off the roster. Rivera has been injured throughout training camp and the preseason, but the team clearly has faith in him.
Cuts: Caleb Bluiett, David Grinnage, Neal Sterling
http://www.firstcoastnews.com/sports/nfl.../468479040

That make three different sources that mentioned this as a possibility. It was also mentioned by Alfie at BCC and Oehser's "Thing" #9.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(08-31-2017, 04:19 AM)haveaseat Wrote:

Williams was injured early in camp. I believe he just got off PUP preseason week 1 played in both preseason games 2 (nabbed a TD) and 3.
And Marrone has this faux competition thing where he won't just name the starters the starters.

Bohanon has had his share of drops in camp and hasn't really impressed as a run blocker outside of the Pats game. 
Williams is younger and cheaper.
I imagine we'll see a good bit of both along with Ellis in tonight's game. But I think Williams has the edge... and he and Ellis could both make the roster.

(08-30-2017, 12:26 PM)Omaha\s Number 1JAGSFAN Wrote:
(08-29-2017, 06:41 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Working on your complaint, Omaha's#1JF.

I never saw a response. I'd like to nominate myself to be a moderator on this board.

Let's pump the brakes on that one.  Stay in your lane.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Williams winning the starting job is the best case scenario IMO and I'm hoping that happens.  It does seem to be in flux, however. 

Hopefully Williams makes his case tonight.

(This post was last modified: 08-31-2017, 10:25 AM by leopold332002.)

(08-30-2017, 10:04 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(08-30-2017, 10:02 PM)leopold332002 Wrote: Please stay your entitled butt home because your cry baby act is getting old at this point.

Get on topic. Further personal attacks will earn you formal warnings. 

Sheesh, people.  You know the rules around here.

My apologies and i will try to be more mindful in future situations but don't just single me out when others do the same things as well. As far as the topic concern just let the situation play out instead of just writing out the season as a fail at this point.
[Image: giphy.gif]

(08-31-2017, 10:23 AM)leopold332002 Wrote:
(08-30-2017, 10:04 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Get on topic. Further personal attacks will earn you formal warnings. 

Sheesh, people.  You know the rules around here.

My apologies and i will try to be more mindful in future situations but don't just single me out when others do the same things as well. As far as the topic concern just let the situation play out instead of just writing out the season as a fail at this point.
I've given the same friendly reminder to a half dozen posters since Monday.  

I agree that we need to see a number of situations play out in regular season games before writing off the season. 
Primarily QB and O-Line.

(08-31-2017, 08:41 AM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:
(08-31-2017, 07:31 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Same reason Fournette isn't, saving it for the games that count.

Fournette missed time with an injury and would have played with the starters if he was healthy. No, he was not saving it for the games that count.

Preseason games are for new players including seventh round draft picks, and we have gone several years without a true fullback. If Williams is healthy, I would start him.

Foutnette would've played if the game mattered. Williams, who was on the PUP just a month ago, would've played if the game mattered.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(08-31-2017, 02:59 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(08-31-2017, 08:41 AM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: Fournette missed time with an injury and would have played with the starters if he was healthy. No, he was not saving it for the games that count.

Foutnette would've played if the game mattered. Williams, who was on the PUP just a month ago, would've played if the game mattered.

Exactly. In preseason you never want one of your players to aggravate an existing injury, which often happens in games that matter. I was not too worried about him.

For Williams, however, it would have been a benefit to play if he was at full strength. It is disappointing that he has not fully returned to health yet.

(08-31-2017, 10:39 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(08-31-2017, 10:23 AM)leopold332002 Wrote: My apologies and i will try to be more mindful in future situations but don't just single me out when others do the same things as well. As far as the topic concern just let the situation play out instead of just writing out the season as a fail at this point.
I've given the same friendly reminder to a half dozen posters since Monday.  

I agree that we need to see a number of situations play out in regular season games before writing off the season. 
Primarily QB and O-Line.

Couldn't agree more. I've seen teams have "issues" in pre-season, but sometimes when the reg. Season roles around, the "issues" seem to disappear. It will come down to coaching...something we will find out soon enough.

(08-31-2017, 10:24 PM)jrvegeeta Wrote:
(08-31-2017, 10:39 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I've given the same friendly reminder to a half dozen posters since Monday.  

Primarily QB and O-Line.

Couldn't agree more. I've seen teams have "issues" in pre-season, but sometimes when the reg. Season roles around, the "issues" seem to disappear. It will come down to coaching...something we will find out soon enough.

There are several reasons we have to play four exhibition games. Fixing issues that crop up in training camp is one of them.