Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Griff's QB Draft Prospects

Might be me, but I can't wait to see Oklahoma vs Oklahoma st and USC vs UCLA.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I usually don't post in the college forum because I'm not a big college football guy, but after watching Mayfield tonight I must say that he doesn't remind me of any QB that's had success at the NFL level despite him having success against a good program in OU tonight. I know that's going to come as a shock to some, I'm just not feeling him as a guy that's going to have success at the next level. Whenever we take a QB next year, I hope it isn't him.

(09-09-2017, 11:20 PM)blkhorse Wrote: Might be me, but I can't wait to see Oklahoma vs Oklahoma st and USC vs UCLA.

Those games are gonna be epic!

(09-09-2017, 11:27 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: I usually don't post in the college forum because I'm not a big college football guy, but after watching Mayfield tonight I must say that he doesn't remind me of any QB that's had success at the NFL level despite him having success against a good program in OU tonight. I know that's going to come as a shock to some, I'm just not feeling him as a guy that's going to have success at the next level. Whenever we take a QB next year, I hope it isn't him.

He gets a lot of Jeff Garcia comps. If we pulled a Redskins and went QB in the 1st and took Mayfield in the 4th or maaaaybe the 3rd I'd be alright with that.

(This post was last modified: 09-09-2017, 11:35 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(09-09-2017, 11:19 PM)Upper Wrote: I'm not sure you spoke a word of truth in that whole paragraph about Jackson...

So, he doesn't run 20 times a game? Who are the other QB's who ran 20 times a game who succeeded as NFL QB's?

(09-09-2017, 11:31 PM)Upper Wrote:
(09-09-2017, 11:27 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: I usually don't post in the college forum because I'm not a big college football guy, but after watching Mayfield tonight I must say that he doesn't remind me of any QB that's had success at the NFL level despite him having success against a good program in OU tonight.  I know that's going to come as a shock to some, I'm just not feeling him as a guy that's going to have success at the next level.  Whenever we take a QB next year, I hope it isn't him.

He gets a lot of Jeff Garcia comps. If we pulled a Redskins and went QB in the 1st and took Mayfield in the 4th or maaaaybe the 3rd I'd be alright with that.

I'd be more than O.K. with that. I do believe Mayfield will go higher than the 3rd or 4th round though. I doubt he'll get taken in the 1st, unless it's the late 1st, but I highly doubt he makes it out of the 2nd round.

(This post was last modified: 09-09-2017, 11:49 PM by J-Mizzal.)

(09-09-2017, 09:46 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: Just call him sam blake bortles darnold

Every time a QB throws an INT you call them Blake Bortles, Borltes isnt the only QB in the history of football to throw INTs, and its a idiotic

(09-09-2017, 11:27 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: I usually don't post in the college forum because I'm not a big college football guy, but after watching Mayfield tonight I must say that he doesn't remind me of any QB that's had success at the NFL level despite him having success against a good program in OU tonight.  I know that's going to come as a shock to some, I'm just not feeling him as a guy that's going to have success at the next level.  Whenever we take a QB next year, I hope it isn't him.

Your right he's tiny, and wont translate to the NFL, but he is a fantastic college QB
<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

(09-09-2017, 11:33 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: So, he doesn't run 20 times a game? Who are the other QB's who ran 20 times a game who succeeded as NFL QB's?

What does the number of rushes matter? He also threw it 30 times a game, more than enough to evaluate. He reads the field, goes through progressions, has a super compact and quick delivery, and has an extremely strong arm. He also ran like a dozen under center play action passes today alone...including the obvious highlight from today where he did the play action, easily and calmly dodged the unblocked pass rusher while keeping his eyes up, reset his feet, and fired a strike for a 75 yard TD. It was as NFL quality a play as we saw today.

(09-10-2017, 01:23 AM)Upper Wrote:
(09-09-2017, 11:33 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: So, he doesn't run 20 times a game? Who are the other QB's who ran 20 times a game who succeeded as NFL QB's?

What does the number of rushes matter? He also threw it 30 times a game, more than enough to evaluate. He reads the field, goes through progressions, has a super compact and quick delivery, and has an extremely strong arm. He also ran like a dozen under center play action passes today alone...including the obvious highlight from today where he did the play action, easily and calmly dodged the unblocked pass rusher while keeping his eyes up, reset his feet, and fired a strike for a 75 yard TD. It was as NFL quality a play as we saw today.

I watched that game and the two most impressive players on the field were Austin Proehl, the WR from North Carolina who was the most impressive route runner I've seen in a long while and Louisville RB Malik Williams. Where did that kid come from? He's big, powerful and has a very impressive 2nd gear. Those two guys have NFL futures.

(09-10-2017, 06:11 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(09-10-2017, 01:23 AM)Upper Wrote: What does the number of rushes matter? He also threw it 30 times a game, more than enough to evaluate. He reads the field, goes through progressions, has a super compact and quick delivery, and has an extremely strong arm. He also ran like a dozen under center play action passes today alone...including the obvious highlight from today where he did the play action, easily and calmly dodged the unblocked pass rusher while keeping his eyes up, reset his feet, and fired a strike for a 75 yard TD. It was as NFL quality a play as we saw today.

I watched that game and the two most impressive players on the field were Austin Proehl, the WR from North Carolina who was the most impressive route runner I've seen in a long while and Louisville RB Malik Williams. Where did that kid come from? He's big, powerful and has a very impressive 2nd gear. Those two guys have NFL futures.

OK...now it's obvious that you just don't like Jackson or maybe you have some type of bias against QB's who have the ability to run.  Anything you say about a mobile QB can be taken with a grain of salt.  You have issues with Jackson who is in more of an NFL system than Mayfield yet you like Mayfield but don't like Jackson who is performing better through the air and ground...lol ok.

Article that breaks down Petrino's offense and Jackson's role in it

http://settingedge.com/lamar-jackson-pro-ready

I'm not understanding this "he's tiny" QB stuff...

Wilson, Brees, Tarkenton All 6' or less... Mayfield is 6'1"
Tyrod Taylor is 6'1" and some on this board have a straight up hard on for that guy
Rodgers, Dalton, and Bridgewater are just an inch higher than Mayfield at 6'2"

Want some taller bigger QBs?
Brock Osweiler at 6'7"
Nick Foles
Zach Mettenberger
Blake Bortles

Mayfield weighs 220... so... he's pretty average weight...

I think there are some people who will just throw [BLEEP] at the wall and hope something sticks in order to push their agenda for "their" guy.
Namely bring down Falk and Mayfield to prop up Rosen, Darnold, and Jackson....

Just remember... guys like Mayfield and Falk and Rudolph are all seniors. Multi year starters....
These are the guys you want coming in and starting right away, imo.... Seasoned, smarter, more mature...
The guys that come out early come with the built in excuses for playing poorly. Oh he's young, he would only be a senior this year, learn the NFL playbooks... blah blah blah...

Mayfield
Rudolph
Falk
Jackson

Those are the QBs we should look at... in that order I think...
but it's a long season, and these guys have a lot more big games to put under their belt.
Jackson VS Clemson will be very telling, imo.
Falk really needs to start lighting up his comp... he's sliding down my board....

Mayfield and Rudolph are 1A and 1B I think.

VS Who?
C'mon... Jackson hasn't played nobody yet.
He's got Clemson coming up
and Florida State later

Mayfield has already played Ohio State and played very very very well. We all know that the "pro style" offense switch doesn't mean too much these days. There's a learning curve, but if you pick the right guy, it won't matter. Good QBs are system proof.
The knock on Jackson is... will he be a one read and run QB his whole career? And can he put up his gaudy stats VS a real defense?

Also... he is not performing better through the air really....
Jackson: 64 comp % 9 YPA 5TD
Mayfield: 83 comp % 13 YPA 6TD (1.5 games)
Rudolph: 72 comp % 10 YPA 6TD

At the moment I'd be pretty comfortable with
1) Lamar Jackson
2) Mayfield
3) Rosen

as my top 3 QBs. Mayfields extremely accurate, can throw from tons of angles , makes big plays easily and has a certain attitude about him. I couldn't care less about his height. Rosen is growing on me.

(This post was last modified: 09-13-2017, 07:44 AM by imtheblkranger.)

(09-12-2017, 10:24 AM)Kane Wrote: VS Who?
C'mon... Jackson hasn't played nobody yet.
He's got Clemson coming up
and Florida State later

Mayfield has already played Ohio State and played very very very well. We all know that the "pro style" offense switch doesn't mean too much these days. There's a learning curve, but if you pick the right guy, it won't matter. Good QBs are system proof.
The knock on Jackson is... will he be a one read and run QB his whole career? And can he put up his gaudy stats VS a real defense?

Also... he is not performing better through the air really....
Jackson: 64 comp % 9 YPA 5TD
Mayfield: 83 comp % 13 YPA 6TD (1.5 games)
Rudolph: 72 comp % 10 YPA 6TD

FWIW in the limited time I've watched Jackson this year, he's gone through his reads pretty well and even looked off a few defenders. I'm pretty high on him if he can continue to show he can be a pocket passer and not just run. He reminds me of Cam but a lot more accurate and obviously smaller. I'll take that.

Plus he's a guy we may not need to trade up to get if this season goes well.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Hoping we will win enough to not be in a position to take one of the top QBs.

Hoping we get into a spot where we can grab the a top TE/OG/RT in the 1st 2 rounds a take a QB in the 3rd/4th.

This team is building a Ball Control team with Power Run and Defense. We just invested into Fournette so why not give him more pieces to make his job easier. The style Coughlin wants doesn't require a Gunslinger to carry the team.

I'd look into something like:

1st: Quenton Nelson - OG - Notre Dame
2nd: Mark Andrews - TE - Oklahoma
3rd: Kyle Allen - QB - Houston

(09-13-2017, 02:22 PM)BlueEyedJag Wrote: Hoping we will win enough to not be in a position to take one of the top QBs.

Hoping we get into a spot where we can grab the a top TE/OG/RT in the 1st 2 rounds a take a QB in the 3rd/4th.

This team is building a Ball Control team with Power Run and Defense.  We just invested into Fournette so why not give him more pieces to make his job easier.  The style Coughlin wants doesn't require a Gunslinger to carry the team.

I'm with you on the first two picks. Nelson is monster in the run game. Andrews prolly the 1st QB taken so might not snag him but he seems great also.

(09-13-2017, 02:22 PM)BlueEyedJag Wrote: Hoping we will win enough to not be in a position to take one of the top QBs.

This team is building a Ball Control team with Power Run and Defense.  We just invested into Fournette so why not give him more pieces to make his job easier.  The style Coughlin wants doesn't require a Gunslinger to carry the team.

I really like Nelson in the first round, also. It's unusual to take guards in the 1st round, but with Fournette it would be a great move. The tight end is also a huge need and Andrews would be a great fit. As far as wishful thinking, I'd love to see Corey Mayfield somehow become available- either when the Jags pick in round 1 (I'm expecting pick 18-25) or as a trade up in round 2. The Jags could always pick up a tight end in free agency to fill that need.

Another huge day for Mason Rudolph. He threw for over 400 yards and 5 touchdowns in the 1st half. Pitt may not be great, but he totally shred their defense. If he keeps this up, he may pass both Darnold and Rosen come draft time.

Josh Rosen is gonna be a NFL star, guy has it all

Rudolph is a system QB, that Oklahoma st system inflate stats, see Brandon Weeden
<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

Josh Rosen is QB1 IF he comes out.