Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Yet another reason to fire caldwell, UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thumbs Down 

Was offered 2 first rounders back in 2014 to drop a few slots.  Bortles would of been on the board still

https://www.bigcatcountry.com/2017/8/25/...rade-offer
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

lol .... probably would have gotten stuck with a dud like Derek Carr

If you believe through your evaluation of a player that he is indeed a franchise quarterback you pick him regardless of trade offers. That offer and rejection doesn't bother me, a GM should think that way. His evaluation of Bortles on the other hand... that's the issue. Same with his evaluation of Luke. Can't miss that bad on QB and LT and expect to hold a glorified GM position in the NFL that only 32 people get to do.

(This post was last modified: 08-27-2017, 01:27 PM by MalabarJag.)

(08-27-2017, 01:20 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: lol .... probably would have gotten stuck with a dud like Derek Carr

Maybe Bortles would look great and Carr would be the bust had Gus had Carr instead of Bortles.

I agree that not trading down was a mistake. At the time I wanted the Jags to trade down, but Caldwell just doesn't know how. Even if Bortles can't turn it around the 2014 draft was a success with ARob, Lee, Linder, and Telvin.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

This was a rumor that a guy at ESPN included in an article and stated the rumor as fact.

Sounds like it's probably still just a rumor to me. Would be interesting to hear what Caldwell refute or confirm it.

It's very bad judgement if true, but I wouldn't count on that being the case.

I don't even know what to say

My problem with taking Bortles #3 overall

1. He never has been a "natural thrower" of the football. A big red flag right there

2. Bortles has never shown signs of high intelligence, wonderlick score etc. Look at the great Qb's playing today. They beat you more with their mind than talent.

3. Going into that draft, I have yet to see anyone (draft guru, draft board, etc.) have him ranked in the top 5 of that draft. Caldwell seems to have that smartest man in the room syndrome. The problem is he is not.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

I don't know if Caldwell deserves to be fired, but might this go down as another mistake?

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/n...602629001/

I think I'd rather have Smith here than Smoot.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me 1000 times, shame on David Caldwell.

(08-27-2017, 02:02 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I don't know if Caldwell deserves to be fired, but might this go down as another mistake?

Smith has always looked like a beast in preseason. He gets lost in the shadows when the season starts.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(08-27-2017, 03:06 PM)B2hibry Wrote:
(08-27-2017, 02:02 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I don't know if Caldwell deserves to be fired, but might this go down as another mistake?

Smith has always looked like a beast in preseason. He gets lost in the shadows when the season starts.

Yeah, but when has Smoot looked like a beast?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(08-27-2017, 03:07 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(08-27-2017, 03:06 PM)B2hibry Wrote: Smith has always looked like a beast in preseason. He gets lost in the shadows when the season starts.

Yeah, but when has Smoot looked like a beast?

Smoot isnt a pure pass rusher, now I dont know if Dave drafted him to be that, but he is a solid run stopper which is has done a good job of it.
<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

(08-27-2017, 01:18 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: Was offered 2 first rounders back in 2014 to drop a few slots.  Bortles would of been on the board still

https://www.bigcatcountry.com/2017/8/25/...rade-offer

So another unsubstantiated twitter rumor from the twitter mill?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Yea I don't feel like going down the rabbit hole on this. Rumors are rumors. If its true then that kind of sucks, but who really knows? Not worth agonizing over something that is so far in the past and nothing can be done about it

(08-27-2017, 01:26 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: If you believe through your evaluation of a player that he is indeed a franchise quarterback you pick him regardless of trade offers. That offer and rejection doesn't bother me, a GM should think that way. His evaluation of Bortles on the other hand... that's the issue. Same with his evaluation of Luke. Can't miss that bad on QB and LT and expect to hold a glorified GM position in the NFL that only 32 people get to do.

Pretty much this. They say it all the time "if you think he's your franchise QB, then you do what you need to in order to get him"

Sadly they just missed on that evaluation.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

A case could be made as this evidence of the crappy coaching we've had during the gus era.  As it always seems our people go to teams and actually are productive.
[Image: 0KIO8ln.gif]

People just need to relax. Calm down and just accept that this franchise is the worst in the NFL and will continue to be the worst for many years to come. Maybe someday in the future we luck out and finish 6-10 or something.

Just enjoy those few precious wins each year and lower your expectations.

If you think that this team is good at anything - drafting, talent evaluation, coaching, player development - you will just be disappointed. So don't stress yourself out and don't waste your entire Sunday watching Jags football. Listen to it more like background noise.

Life is much easier with this approach.

(This post was last modified: 08-27-2017, 05:48 PM by MalabarJag.)

(08-27-2017, 05:04 PM)archer56 Wrote:

A case could be made as this evidence of the crappy coaching we've had during the gus era.  As it always seems our people go to teams and actually are productive.

Exactly!

Caldwell drafted Smith, who, according to the Bengals, is a good player. It was up to the coaching staff to make him better and allow him to play. I can't blame a GM for trading a player the coaching staff had given up on after three years.

There are some decisions where I didn't like what Caldwell did, but as far as actual picks and free agent signings it's hard to say just how much is on Caldwell vs. the coaches. Since 2013, no DB, whether a draft pick of free agent, has improved from year 1 to year 2 with the Jags. That's true of RB, OL, and LB too (Telvin was just as good as a rookie).

(08-27-2017, 05:05 PM)navyjagfan Wrote: People just need to relax.  Calm down and just accept that this franchise is the worst in the NFL and will continue to be the worst for many years to come.  Maybe someday in the future we luck out and finish 6-10 or something.  

If you think that this team is good at anything - drafting, talent evaluation, coaching, player development - you will just be disappointed.  So don't stress yourself out and don't waste your entire Sunday watching Jags football.  Listen to it more like background noise.  

Bite your tongue. Every year the Jags win the offseason.

(08-27-2017, 01:55 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: My problem with taking Bortles #3 overall

1. He never has been a "natural thrower" of the football.  A big red flag right there

2. Bortles has never shown signs of high intelligence, wonderlick score etc.  Look at the great Qb's playing today.  They beat you more with their mind than talent.

3. Going into that draft, I have yet to see anyone (draft guru, draft board, etc.) have him ranked in the top 5 of that draft.   Caldwell seems to have that smartest man in the room syndrome.  The problem is he is not.

I didn't like the Bortles pick at the time either, but there were a lot of mock drafts with Bortles going to Houston with the top pick. If he wasn't in the top five he was at least generally considered the #1 QB prospect that year.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(08-27-2017, 05:31 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(08-27-2017, 05:04 PM)archer56 Wrote: A case could be made as this evidence of the crappy coaching we've had during the gus era.  As it always seems our people go to teams and actually are productive.

Exactly!

Caldwell drafted Smith, who, according to the Bengals, is a good player. It was up to the coaching staff to make him better and allow him to play. I can't blame a GM for trading a player the coaching staff had given up on after three years.

There are some decisions where I didn't like what Caldwell did, but as far as actual picks and free agent signings it's hard to say just how much is on Caldwell vs. the coaches. Since 2013, no DB, whether a draft pick of free agent, has improved from year 1 to year 2 with the Jags. That's true of RB, OL, and LB too (Telvin was just as good as a rookie).

(08-27-2017, 05:05 PM)navyjagfan Wrote: People just need to relax.  Calm down and just accept that this franchise is the worst in the NFL and will continue to be the worst for many years to come.  Maybe someday in the future we luck out and finish 6-10 or something.  

If you think that this team is good at anything - drafting, talent evaluation, coaching, player development - you will just be disappointed.  So don't stress yourself out and don't waste your entire Sunday watching Jags football.  Listen to it more like background noise.  

Bite your tongue. Every year the Jags win the offseason.

(08-27-2017, 01:55 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: My problem with taking Bortles #3 overall

1. He never has been a "natural thrower" of the football.  A big red flag right there

2. Bortles has never shown signs of high intelligence, wonderlick score etc.  Look at the great Qb's playing today.  They beat you more with their mind than talent.

3. Going into that draft, I have yet to see anyone (draft guru, draft board, etc.) have him ranked in the top 5 of that draft.   Caldwell seems to have that smartest man in the room syndrome.  The problem is he is not.

I didn't like the Bortles pick at the time either, but there were a lot of mock drafts with Bortles going to Houston with the top pick. If he wasn't in the top five he was at least generally considered the #1 QB prospect that year.

Yeah pretty much everyone started putting Bortles as the #1 QB close to draft time. It was Teddy all year then Bortles stock shot up. Brunell said Blake was the best in the draft, a lot of people thought he was.

And that being said, he very well could have been if he wasn't saddled with Gus for 3 years.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

The Pats wanted Bortles more than Garappalo.