Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
It Saddens Me

The state that this country is in really saddens me, and there is no one person to blame for it.  Not President Clinton, not President Bush, not President Obama and not President Trump.

I'm a bit older I suspect than most posters on this board.  From what I grew up learning and living is a far cry from what we have now.  I'm not saying that anything is "right" or "wrong", but somehow we have lost our way.

I grew up as a "faith member" of a church. (Not discussing religion here).  The lessons taught to me at an early age gave me some morals, most important might be the "do unto others" lesson.

I also grew up in a time when from kindergarten to Senior year in high school we stood and recited the Pledge of Allegiance every morning before starting classes.

In grade school (4th grade if I recall right) our teacher read us The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain.  He didn't mask or hide the fact that the "n word" was used in the book, because it was a common term during the time that the books were written.  I remember watching a series called Roots in the early 70's that was about a slave's life and the lives of his descendants.  I remember even shedding tears as I watched that series wondering how someone could treat another human like that.

I learned about history and the many wars that our country fought.  I learned about the many sacrifices that many people made before us just for us to be free.  What did we to with that?

It seems that today far too many people, especially younger people don't really know or appreciate the history of our nation.  Suddenly things that once were "taboo" are suddenly "the norm".  Certain behaviors or lifestyles that were once frowned upon have not only become the "norm", they are shoved down our throats.  Drug use, homosexuality and now transgender are the new "normal".  Faith, especially one based on Christianity is "looked down upon" by most of these far left groups.

This country is destroying itself from within.

My only somewhat comforting thought is that I probably won't live long enough to see this country collapse, but I do fear for the future of my grandchildren.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

It's funny that what saddens you makes me happy. A more accepting country is a beautiful thing kid. Learn to appreciate it.

(This post was last modified: 08-28-2017, 06:09 PM by wrong_box.)

(08-28-2017, 05:10 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: The state that this country is in really saddens me, and there is no one person to blame for it.  Not President Clinton, not President Bush, not President Obama and not President Trump.

I'm a bit older I suspect than most posters on this board.  From what I grew up learning and living is a far cry from what we have now.  I'm not saying that anything is "right" or "wrong", but somehow we have lost our way.

I grew up as a "faith member" of a church. (Not discussing religion here).  The lessons taught to me at an early age gave me some morals, most important might be the "do unto others" lesson.

I also grew up in a time when from kindergarten to Senior year in high school we stood and recited the Pledge of Allegiance every morning before starting classes.

In grade school (4th grade if I recall right) our teacher read us The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain.  He didn't mask or hide the fact that the "n word" was used in the book, because it was a common term during the time that the books were written.  I remember watching a series called Roots in the early 70's that was about a slave's life and the lives of his descendants.  I remember even shedding tears as I watched that series wondering how someone could treat another human like that.

I learned about history and the many wars that our country fought.  I learned about the many sacrifices that many people made before us just for us to be free.  What did we to with that?

It seems that today far too many people, especially younger people don't really know or appreciate the history of our nation.  Suddenly things that once were "taboo" are suddenly "the norm".  Certain behaviors or lifestyles that were once frowned upon have not only become the "norm", they are shoved down our throats.  Drug use, homosexuality and now transgender are the new "normal".  Faith, especially one based on Christianity is "looked down upon" by most of these far left groups.

My only somewhat comforting thought is that I probably won't live long enough to see this country collapse, but I do fear for the future of my grandchildren.
Right there with ya! I went into the Navy at 20 years old in 1988, and I have seen the world slowly evolve into what we have today...No more nightly family dinners, no Sunday family night sitting and watching The Wonderful World of Disney on Sunday nights...

A couple years or so ago some little [BLEEP] stick kid knocked on our door, I opened the door and some little punk kid having so many piercings he looked like oh what's his name Pinhead from Hellraiser, wearing make up like a girl asking if my daughter was home...I looked at him and blinked a couple times and asked him what the [BLEEP] he was supposed to be...He said it's "ART" and an was "expressing himself" I asked him just what the [BLEEP] he was expressing and he had no answer...He had no idea what the hell he was expressing...I told him what he was projecting was a [BLEEP] weirdo and life long unemployment and slammed the door in his face...

People used to help their neighbors and expect nothing for it and that neighbor in turn would see someone who helped him do his thing and would come help you do your thing...Today if you want to build a shed your neighbor is apt to shoot you rather help you, or complain about your shed and the HOA makes you take it down...

I hear ya JIB and I remember every year something like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang would come on TV on a Sunday night, or The Sound of music or The Shaggy D.A. or scary movies all through OCT...We were "allowed" to get the tv trays out and sit in the living room and watch while we ate...The Olympics was another thing that was a huge deal back then...

I remember when going out to eat was a HUGE treat...Everyone was so excited! Now it's pretty normal...

People all wrapped up on Facebook with strangers who are their "friends" because the kids have no social skills and don't know how to deal with people face to face and it's easier to just unfriend and block people than it is to make real friends in the real world and deal with real life issues 

Sadly, you are correct, this world is nearly a polar opposite of what it used to be...

(08-28-2017, 05:59 PM)The Holy Teal Wrote: It's funny that what saddens you makes me happy. A more accepting country is a beautiful thing kid. Learn to appreciate it.

Kid?

At what cost for a "more accepting country"?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(08-28-2017, 05:59 PM)The Holy Teal Wrote: It's funny that what saddens you makes me happy. A more accepting country is a beautiful thing kid. Learn to appreciate it.

Doesn't seem to be accepting much of anything...Ya see all these things they call protests which are actually riots? Didn't have that stuff too often in our day...We did marches, and held signs up, chanted but let people drive by and continue on their normal everyday lives...They don't do that today...Today "protesting" is smashing windows of businesses, turning cars over, assaulting police and people who are on the opposite side of the "protesters", blocking roads so people can't go anywhere, and calling everyone who disagrees with them racists...That one kills me, if you disagree with liberals you are a racist somehow...No matter the issue, if you don't agree with the "protesters" you are a racist...

Yanno how we handled that kind of stuff in our day? People knew that even though they don't agree with protesters point of view, that not every one can have everything their way...Things we didn't like, we sucked it up and said, "Well it's not my cup of tea, but I ain't the only one in this here world, and these people have a right to believe what they want to, so I'm just gonna shut up and mind my own business"

(This post was last modified: 08-28-2017, 06:52 PM by The Drifter.)

I've lived through Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Bush, Obama, and now Trump. And I have never seen this country in such a sorry shape as it is today. Antifa using NAZI Facist tactics. Conservatives silenced, BLM Demanding things they have no right to demand (Reparations) and KIDS, Yes KIDS on disability because they think they had a [BLEEP] up life. Life hasn't kicked them in the [BLEEP] hard enough yet for them to think they're [BLEEP] up.
The 70's may have been the worst time to grow up and come of age but Man oh man, we didn't see the [BLEEP] I'm seeing today. We stood for the pledge, Learned history and CIVICS and knew what this country was founded on and it's guiding principles.
Maybe we need to get back to teaching Civics as a requirement to Graduate.........
Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

I think JIB had a pretty good post but then some of you are saying "right there with ya!" And you're not actually agreeing with what he said.

It's a different time and that's neither good nor bad. It's different. You're trying to label all kids and millenials as the same and that's not right. I'm 32 and I still eat at the dinner table every night with my family of 4. We watch movies on Sunday (just watched Trolls... fantastic). So while there is a small group of people who are nut jobs ( on both sides of the aisle), trying to label everyone one thing is the true downfall. Liberal Snowflakes are all the problem! Those conservative racists need to go!

So yes, things are changing but you need to adapt and change with it. You don't have to change everything but understanding these changes and adapting is how to survive.

Meh, at one time Elvis and the Beatles were bringing about the demise of our country. Before them it was someone/something else.
I believe it is inevitable as we age that we see things as always better before. The we did things the right way back then attitude goes all the way back to the beginning of modern man. Times change, It's called evolution.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(08-28-2017, 07:49 PM)Jagwired Wrote: Meh, at one time Elvis and the Beatles were bringing about the demise of our country. Before them it was someone/something else.
I believe it is inevitable as we age that we see things as always better before. The we did things the right way back then attitude goes all the way back to the beginning of modern man. Times change, It's called evolution.

Don't you ever.. Ever.. I mean ever... Talk about The King like that..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

[Image: old.jpg]
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 08-28-2017, 08:35 PM by wrong_box.)

(08-28-2017, 07:04 PM)Frailbones Wrote: I think JIB had a pretty good post but then some of you are saying "right there with ya!" And you're not actually agreeing with what he said.

It's a different time and that's neither good nor bad. It's different. You're trying to label all kids and millenials as the same and that's not right. I'm 32 and I still eat at the dinner table every night with my family of 4. We watch movies on Sunday (just watched Trolls... fantastic). So while there is a small group of people who are nut jobs ( on both sides of the aisle), trying to label everyone one thing is the true downfall. Liberal Snowflakes are all the problem! Those conservative racists need  to go!

So yes, things are changing but you need to adapt and change with it. You don't have to change everything but understanding these changes and adapting is how to survive.

Ok that's GREAT! Now answer this...how many others do that? Of course no one can know the exact number but my point is, there are few families who do this anymore...

No I don't need to adapt to "the new world" where people have no idea of what gender they are, or influence their children in kindergarten that they are really not a boy if they feel they are a girl...I don't have to adapt to african americans claiming all white people should give them their houses in atonement for slavery...This whole world is going backwards and people like you encouraging others to embrace and accept this "new world" rather than trying to right the wrongs being committed, are the biggest problem there is...

(08-28-2017, 05:10 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: The state that this country is in really saddens me, and there is no one person to blame for it.  Not President Clinton, not President Bush, not President Obama and not President Trump.

Back in my day we worked 15 hour shifts in the mine every day for a nickel and a half and didn't complain at all. Drank warm milk and old bread for breakfast, lunch and dinner and we were grateful for it too! Those "transgenders" should march their high heels down to local mine and see how long they'd last. 

Pisses me off seeing youngsters like yourself on the internet giving out, you wouldn't survive a minute back in my day. Maybe your one of those "hippie" kids who thinks he's the next Nick Cave.  Cut your hair and go out and get a job!

(08-28-2017, 07:04 PM)Frailbones Wrote: I think JIB had a pretty good post but then some of you are saying "right there with ya!" And you're not actually agreeing with what he said.

It's a different time and that's neither good nor bad. It's different. You're trying to label all kids and millenials as the same and that's not right. I'm 32 and I still eat at the dinner table every night with my family of 4. We watch movies on Sunday (just watched Trolls... fantastic). So while there is a small group of people who are nut jobs ( on both sides of the aisle), trying to label everyone one thing is the true downfall. Liberal Snowflakes are all the problem! Those conservative racists need  to go!

That's kind of like telling people who lived through the Great Depression to adapt to the craziness of the 60's and 70's and the excess of the 80's. They dealt with it because they had to, but I'm sure it was still quite distasteful to many. Just because people adapt don't mean they accept.

You sound a lot like my father. He's 51. He also fears the direction our country is headed in. His biggest notice though is that things that were once considered science fiction or fiction are now becoming a reality by the year. 

He's embraced technology to an extent. But he stays away from social media. No facebook, no snapchat, no instagram and no twitter. That doesn't mean he's dumb. He's very sharp. He loves posting videos of his fishing skills here in N-FL on Youtube and he's also really big on building things from scratch. He's built himself and myself and my brothers all really good gaming PC's. He's been playing World of Warcraft now for over 10 years in between fishing and what not. 

He used to be a little less caring and more rough around the edges when I was growing up in his late 20's and 30's. Getting older though he's often told me it creates a higher sense of mortality. That as you get older you appreciate time more. He's trying to teach me every little trick and skill he knows. From installing A.C's, planting and gardening our own food and fixing up roofs and cars and cleaning and taking apart fishing rods and reels. 

He just sees that the last few generations that have come up behind him are pretty much spoiled and have their heads so far up their [BLEEP] it's amazing that they can even breath. I hate the fact that I am considered a "millenial" because I honestly feel that I was raised differently than the "typical" millenial we think of today. 

The best techniques and skills are passed down from the survivors. He's just trying to make sure we all know how to take care of ourselves when the [BLEEP] hits the fan. Not doomsday prepper level. But basics. So we don't get robbed down the line when he's gone.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(08-28-2017, 09:14 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:

That's kind of like telling people who lived through the Great Depression to adapt to the craziness of the 60's and 70's and the excess of the 80's. They dealt with it because they had to, but I'm sure it was still quite distasteful to many. Just because people adapt don't mean they accept.
What I'm saying is that sometimes change isn't all bad and learning to adapt to it is crucial. Black people had to use different restrooms and drink from different water fountains. That was the norm. People had to adapt and change to the new "norm" of sharing their bathroom with black people.

Now, it's the same with gay people and transgender. The people who are most upset with this tend to be older people who don't see a reason to change it. Just like the then older generation of the 70's didn't understand why black people should be allowed to use the same restroom as white people.

If we were still stuck in the old days, would it really be that much better?

We are entering a Fourth Turning, a generational crisis point. Strauss-Howe generational theory posits 4 repeating phases, each phase roughly 20-25 years and one complete turning every 80-100 years.

1 - High.
2 - Awakening.
3 - Unraveling.
4 - Crisis.

And the 4 generational archetypes Prophet, Nomad, Hero and Artist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strauss%E2...nal_theory

(This post was last modified: 08-29-2017, 12:37 PM by wrong_box.)

(08-29-2017, 08:53 AM)Frailbones Wrote:
(08-28-2017, 09:14 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: That's kind of like telling people who lived through the Great Depression to adapt to the craziness of the 60's and 70's and the excess of the 80's. They dealt with it because they had to, but I'm sure it was still quite distasteful to many. Just because people adapt don't mean they accept.
What I'm saying is that sometimes change isn't all bad and learning to adapt to it is crucial. Black people had to use different restrooms and drink from different water fountains. That was the norm. People had to adapt and change to the new "norm" of sharing their bathroom with black people.

Now, it's the same with gay people and transgender. The people who are most upset with this tend to be older people who don't see a reason to change it. Just like the then older generation of the 70's didn't understand why black people should be allowed to use the same restroom as white people.

I will be 50 in January...The black/white divide has changed drastically during my generation and has been much improved from the generations before ours...It's not perfect, but black people have as many rights as we do and every chance to succeed as we do...

As we age we become more accepting but there are certain things we (my generation) will never accept such as, not knowing your gender, this shouldn't even be a debate or even a question...

we have no problem with gay people, we don't understand them, but they probably don't understand us either...

Protesting for something you actually believe in, we actually encourage except for today's generation don't protest, they riot, they loot, they destroy property that belongs to people and businesses that have no affiliation with what they are protesting, they keep other people from doing their normal day to day activities, they use racism as an excuse for anything and everything, people who tattoo their whole face and then put piercings all over their face and cry because they can't find a job, and cry because they feel like they are being ostracized...

Calling for the killing of Police officers isn't free speech, it's encouraging murder

Today's generation wants the world to function according to their wants and to hell what anyone else wants, they don't give a damm about anyone else's feelings or beliefs...

Today's generation is all about do whatever you want, it doesn't matter if it's right, wrong. or illegal, just do whatever you want as long as it feels good it's fine...

Respect??? They all scream they get no respect from anyone but they sure as [BLEEP] won't give any respect to anyone else...

(08-29-2017, 12:33 PM)wrong_box Wrote:
(08-29-2017, 08:53 AM)Frailbones Wrote: What I'm saying is that sometimes change isn't all bad and learning to adapt to it is crucial. Black people had to use different restrooms and drink from different water fountains. That was the norm. People had to adapt and change to the new "norm" of sharing their bathroom with black people.

I will be 50 in January...The black/white divide has changed drastically during my generation and has been much improved from the generations before ours...It's not perfect, but black people have as many rights as we do and every chance to succeed as we do...

As we age we become more accepting but there are certain things we (my generation) will never accept such as, not knowing your gender, this shouldn't even be a debate or even a question...

we have no problem with gay people, we don't understand them, but they probably don't understand us either...

Protesting for something you actually believe in, we actually encourage except for today's generation don't protest, they riot, they loot, they destroy property that belongs to people and businesses that have no affiliation with what they are protesting, they keep other people from doing their normal day to day activities, they use racism as an excuse for anything and everything, people who tattoo their whole face and then put piercings all over their face and cry because they can't find a job, and cry because they feel like they are being ostracized...

Calling for the killing of Police officers isn't free speech, it's encouraging murder

Today's generation wants the world to function according to their wants and to hell what anyone else wants, they don't give a damm about anyone else's feelings or beliefs...

Today's generation is all about do whatever you want, it doesn't matter if it's right, wrong. or illegal, just do whatever you want as long as it feels good it's fine...

Respect??? They all scream they get no respect from anyone but they sure as [BLEEP] won't give any respect to anyone else...

So much privilege in your posting, you should denounce yourself.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Contrary to what some of the comments made regarding my OP, I wasn't specifically calling out any generation (millennials), at least not intentionally.  What I'm getting at is that people have seemed to have lost a certain "pride" in this country and the many things that made it great.  We as a society have become a "me first" kind of society.  I'm specifically talking about what I grew up in and have seen during my lifetime (early 1960's to now).

A simple thing such as cussing was "frowned upon" by peers in school, except in certain groups.  In today's schools discipline is out of control and it isn't "shocking" or frowned upon to see a student cussing a teacher out, or worse, assaulting a teacher.

Becoming pregnant while being single was "frowned upon" especially at a young age.  It used to be that when it did happen, the "baby daddy" would step up and either marry the mother, or at least provide some kind of support.  That doesn't happen today.

Young children (ages 1 - 18) used to have some respect for adults.  Not so much anymore.

People of all ages used to respect The Flag, The National Anthem and what they are about.  Not so much anymore.  Instead you have professional athletes that are supposedly "role models" for kids doing the opposite, and kids are mimicking it.

People weren't "confused" about what gender they were and knew which public restroom to use.  Not so much anymore.  In fact, children as young as 6 or 7 are being indoctrinated regarding gender.  The article in the link should be disturbing to most people, yet many agree with what the school did and what the "teacher" did with a kindergarten class.

"Protesting" today means violence and unrest.  The Antifa punks are nothing more than the "occupy Wall Street" losers.  They expect everything to be "free" and they want "rich people" to pay for it.  It's never crossed their minds to actually go out and work for and achieve something.

Being gay used to mean "being in the closet" because it wasn't socially acceptable.  I can handle and deal with people being openly gay, in fact not only do I work for someone who is, but I also have a brother who is.  What is different is how the lifestyle is constantly shoved down our throats.  I mean, "gay pride"?  What is that?  Do some gay individuals really need to openly express affection for one another in public?  Do we really need events and parades because a small minority of individuals choose to live a different lifestyle?

Without getting into religious discussion, The Ten Commandments have been displayed at many courthouses throughout the country as have crosses in many areas.  Why are they suddenly so "offensive" that they have to be removed?  The same goes for Confederate monuments that have been displayed for many years.

I could go on, but the list is too long.

tldr;  We've lost our way as a society.

(08-29-2017, 02:02 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: So much privilege in your posting, you should denounce yourself.

What does this even mean? And I'm being serious.