Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
It Saddens Me

(08-29-2017, 04:33 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(08-29-2017, 02:02 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: So much privilege in your posting, you should denounce yourself.

What does this even mean? And I'm being serious.

It means that people who have such rosy memories of the past are fortunate (privileged) to have been in a position where those memories are happy ones. It's a privilege that not everyone shares, and those who are changing the present DON'T have the same nostalgia for the past that some do. And it's past time that people who cry to restore the past be confronted with the cold, hard reality that people were disenfranchised so they could have that happy lifestyle and now it's time for payback! So get to the self-flagellation over the past already.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-29-2017, 03:54 PM)You jagibelieve Wrote: Contrary to what some of the comments made regarding my OP, I wasn't specifically calling out any generation (millennials), at least not intentionally.  What I'm getting at is that people have seemed to have lost a certain "pride" in this country and the many things that made it great.  We as a society have become a "me first" kind of society.  I'm specifically talking about what I grew up in and have seen during my lifetime (early 1960's to now).

A simple thing such as cussing was "frowned upon" by peers in school, except in certain groups.  In today's schools discipline is out of control and it isn't "shocking" or frowned upon to see a student cussing a teacher out, or worse, assaulting a teacher.

Becoming pregnant while being single was "frowned upon" especially at a young age.  It used to be that when it did happen, the "baby daddy" would step up and either marry the mother, or at least provide some kind of support.  That doesn't happen today.

Young children (ages 1 - 18) used to have some respect for adults.  Not so much anymore.

People of all ages used to respect The Flag, The National Anthem and what they are about.  Not so much anymore.  Instead you have professional athletes that are supposedly "role models" for kids doing the opposite, and kids are mimicking it.

People weren't "confused" about what gender they were and knew which public restroom to use.  Not so much anymore.  In fact, children as young as 6 or 7 are being indoctrinated regarding gender.  The article in the link should be disturbing to most people, yet many agree with what the school did and what the "teacher" did with a kindergarten class.

"Protesting" today means violence and unrest.  The Antifa punks are nothing more than the "occupy Wall Street" losers.  They expect everything to be "free" and they want "rich people" to pay for it.  It's never crossed their minds to actually go out and work for and achieve something.

Being gay used to mean "being in the closet" because it wasn't socially acceptable.  I can handle and deal with people being openly gay, in fact not only do I work for someone who is, but I also have a brother who is.  What is different is how the lifestyle is constantly shoved down our throats.  I mean, "gay pride"?  What is that?  Do some gay individuals really need to openly express affection for one another in public?  Do we really need events and parades because a small minority of individuals choose to live a different lifestyle?

Without getting into religious discussion, The Ten Commandments have been displayed at many courthouses throughout the country as have crosses in many areas.  Why are they suddenly so "offensive" that they have to be removed?  The same goes for Confederate monuments that have been displayed for many years.

I could go on, but the list is too long.

tldr;  We've lost our way as a society.

Damn kid I didn't realize you were so homophobic.

(08-29-2017, 04:54 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(08-29-2017, 04:33 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: What does this even mean? And I'm being serious.

It means that people who have such rosy memories of the past are fortunate (privileged) to have been in a position where those memories are happy ones. It's a privilege that not everyone shares, and those who are changing the present DON'T have the same nostalgia for the past that some do. And it's past time that people who cry to restore the past be confronted with the cold, hard reality that people were disenfranchised so they could have that happy lifestyle and now it's time for payback! So get to the self-flagellation over the past already.

How old are you? I don't mean that in a demeaning way, just wanting to know what decade your formative years were. I was born in 1972 so what I call my formative years were the 80's. 

I agree that people need to understand there were folks who suffered so others could live prosperously. The problem is with your own verbiage. Payback. The folks you are vowing payback on had nothing to do with the suffering of the aforementioned folks. Didn't have the slightest idea what was going on because we were kids/young adults in a world that didn't have the ability to learn the way we do now through technology. Keep using words like payback and you will never achieve anything other than division. 

You do realize that people weren't born into their lives of their choosing, right? How we were raised, who taught us what, where we were raised geographically, the morals and values we were taught (or in some cases the lack thereof.) Our foundations were laid out for us and built upon as we grew up. Society in our early years shapes how we will view things the rest of our lives, even if on a small scale. I was one of those people who swore up and down I would always be up with the times, always be rolling with whatever was happening around me, would never sound like my parents about "how back in the day." The thing is, you can't help it. And us older folks grew up in very small worlds where we only knew what we were told by our friends in the neighborhood and at school, parents, teachers, the Big Three news channels, the local paper, and the entertainment industry. All of this was very localized. There was no global anything other than the Olympics and the Cold War or Vietnam. 

Some stay in their little bubble world and never actually learn anything about people, places and things that are different than they are. They don't even want to or it never occurs to them to do so. Some, like myself, go out and experience all kinds of different people, places and things that (hopefully) broaden our views of the world. I am a lot more open minded than most people think and more than many of my friends care for me to be. My husband was born and raised in the county we live in. He's lived in two houses in his 46 years on earth. He was very narrow minded when we married but I have been able to show him that things are not always what they seem and he's beginning to understand how much he doesn't know and is willing to listen even if we end up agreeing to disagree on some issues. 

THIS is where we need to be as a society. Everyone is not going to agree on whatever issue is currently stirring people up. Sometimes we need to be willing to agree to disagree and move on. If it's an issue that needs to be addressed and 'worked on' then we need to be willing to listen to all sides and work toward a resolution that doesn't involve violence.

(08-29-2017, 05:01 PM)The Holy Teal Wrote:
(08-29-2017, 03:54 PM)You jagibelieve Wrote: Contrary to what some of the comments made regarding my OP, I wasn't specifically calling out any generation (millennials), at least not intentionally.  What I'm getting at is that people have seemed to have lost a certain "pride" in this country and the many things that made it great.  We as a society have become a "me first" kind of society.  I'm specifically talking about what I grew up in and have seen during my lifetime (early 1960's to now).

A simple thing such as cussing was "frowned upon" by peers in school, except in certain groups.  In today's schools discipline is out of control and it isn't "shocking" or frowned upon to see a student cussing a teacher out, or worse, assaulting a teacher.

Becoming pregnant while being single was "frowned upon" especially at a young age.  It used to be that when it did happen, the "baby daddy" would step up and either marry the mother, or at least provide some kind of support.  That doesn't happen today.

Young children (ages 1 - 18) used to have some respect for adults.  Not so much anymore.

People of all ages used to respect The Flag, The National Anthem and what they are about.  Not so much anymore.  Instead you have professional athletes that are supposedly "role models" for kids doing the opposite, and kids are mimicking it.

People weren't "confused" about what gender they were and knew which public restroom to use.  Not so much anymore.  In fact, children as young as 6 or 7 are being indoctrinated regarding gender.  The article in the link should be disturbing to most people, yet many agree with what the school did and what the "teacher" did with a kindergarten class.

"Protesting" today means violence and unrest.  The Antifa punks are nothing more than the "occupy Wall Street" losers.  They expect everything to be "free" and they want "rich people" to pay for it.  It's never crossed their minds to actually go out and work for and achieve something.

Being gay used to mean "being in the closet" because it wasn't socially acceptable.  I can handle and deal with people being openly gay, in fact not only do I work for someone who is, but I also have a brother who is.  What is different is how the lifestyle is constantly shoved down our throats.  I mean, "gay pride"?  What is that?  Do some gay individuals really need to openly express affection for one another in public?  Do we really need events and parades because a small minority of individuals choose to live a different lifestyle?

Without getting into religious discussion, The Ten Commandments have been displayed at many courthouses throughout the country as have crosses in many areas.  Why are they suddenly so "offensive" that they have to be removed?  The same goes for Confederate monuments that have been displayed for many years.

I could go on, but the list is too long.

tldr;  We've lost our way as a society.

Damn kid I didn't realize you were so homophobic.

Sorry you are offended by my comments regarding homosexuality cupcake.  I hope that you and your "partner" aren't too offended.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(08-29-2017, 06:17 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(08-29-2017, 05:01 PM)The Holy Teal Wrote: Damn kid I didn't realize you were so homophobic.

Sorry you are offended by my comments regarding homosexuality cupcake.  I hope that you and your "partner" aren't too offended.

Not offended at all. Just feel bad for you and your [BLEEP] world view boy.

(08-29-2017, 06:17 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(08-29-2017, 05:01 PM)The Holy Teal Wrote: Damn kid I didn't realize you were so homophobic.

You can't handle gay pride and yet he's the cupcake? Has gay pride ever seriously impacted you? Your brother is gay but that's like saying "I'm not racist.... I have a black friend!"

I'm sorry that you feel society is doomed but you're probably not the first person of a generation to feel that way.

I for one am glad that if either of my children happens to be gay, that they are growing up in a more accepting society. Not one where they feel like they can't be themselves.

(08-28-2017, 05:10 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: snip

Ok, now for a younger person's reply. I'm 34. Or 33. Maybe 32. I really have a hard time remembering which shoe goes on what foot these days, so the math involved in figuring that out is beyond me. Regardless, I am an early millennial. I know you weren't intending to call out a generation, but that's kind of what it looks like you did.

Personally, I hate the term millennial, because I'm one only by the misfortune of having been born a couple of years too late. I blame my parents for waiting seven years to pop out a child instead of four. Either way, I dislike the connotation that the term carries, and I resent that I'm grouped in with that bunch. It's like being the guy who was legit just trying to head down to the corner store for a six pack and ended up in a picture with the neo-Nazis and their adorable little tiki torches, then woke up the next morning to find that his job was gone, his girlfriend packed up and left, his family had disowned him and a random Chinaman had pissed on his rug.

Moving right along, what you see as a country destroying itself I see as a country reinventing itself. You might not like what it's becoming, and you may be surprised to hear that I don't. There are a few sides to that. One, of course, is the culture that allowed a President who stops just short of openly endorsing white supremacy to take office and remain there. My thoughts there are pretty well known. Needless to say, the sooner a North Korean missile accidentally knocks the space station out of orbit and it lands on that rug of his, the better off we'll all be.

I too was part of an institution that attempted to instill certain morals and whatever in me. It was an atrocious experience, as my family was very involved and I got to see firsthand how hateful the group of people pulling the strings really were. It prompted me to expand my horizons, research, read, so some basic study of other institutions and come to a place I'm happy with. I think I'm all the better for having been exposed to it, but not for the reasons you're getting at.

I also grew up reciting the Pledge, but following the Pledge, our school principal, whose face was on every TV in the school in the mornings, would have us remain standing for a moment of silence. I spoke with my history teacher and explained my objection, then told her I would be taking my seat for the moment of silence. She understood, and we agreed that as long as I stood for the Pledge, I could sit respectfully and quietly during the moment of silence. A few classmates asked me why I was sitting, and you know what? No riots happened. No one threatened anyone's life on Twitter, probably because Twitter was still quite a few years in the future, but a few dialogues were started. To be perfectly blunt, my greatest regret from high school was not having it in me the day the assistant principal was in our classroom for the Pledge to sit down right in front of him. I chickened out and showed great disrespect to my history teacher. There was a reason: this was a week or so before graduation, and I'd already been in trouble with the principal recently enough for something else. I wanted to walk more than I wanted to sit. Moral of that story: sitting for a moment of silence isn't disrespectful of whatever one was intended to do with that silence, and kneeling for the national anthem is not disrespectful of the anthem. Being loud, making gestures, causing a scene, riding an exercise bike, walking back to your seat with two beers in each hand, that's disrespectful. Silently kneeling is a way of respecting the anthem and starting a dialogue that begins with, "Hey, Colin, why'd you kneel?".

The banning of certain books from school libraries is a despicable practice. Altering those books to remove the "offensive" words is a dangerous one.

Societies evolve. In the 1860s, the thought of black people and white people being equals was unheard of. In the 1930s, the thought of a black man marrying a white woman was violently offensive. In the 1950s, homosexuality was outright illegal almost nationwide. Marijuana is coming back into play because it's no more harmful for you than alcohol (and really much less harmful than tobacco, which people in the 1920s used constantly) but is being shown to have actual health benefits. No one credible is arguing that heroin or meth are safe and should be used. The concept of transgender isn't fully understood, but who's to say that being transgender is any different a concept than being gay, which almost everyone accepts now? This nation is becoming more tolerant in many ways, and that's good.

What's not good is that the current generation is using "tolerance" as a veil for creating and spreading their own brand of intolerance. Revising history is a dark, dangerous road to go down. Moving Confederate monuments to private grounds is ok. Burying them in basements, defacing or destroying them as they stand is not. You don't have to think a certain way about life, the universe and stuff, but to censure or ridicule someone purely because they think one way and you think another isn't acceptable. It's certainly not ok when the talking heads that this generation look up to make a point of deriding certain ways of thinking as often as they can. And this all applies to everyone along all facets of the political landscape.

What comforts me in all this is that America will emerge all the better from this. We always do. This is a period of great reflection and great learning for America. This is the millennials figuring out who we are. Unfortunately, it's coming by way of incendiary leaders like Trump and Sanders, and people like Clinton who have taught us all not to trust anyone. It's a messy country right now, but it's our country to fix, and I do hope you're on your porch shouting at kids long enough to be a part of it and see the end result.

...grandpa

(08-29-2017, 08:10 AM)Caldrac Wrote: You sound a lot like my father. He's 51. He also fears the direction our country is headed in. His biggest notice though is that things that were once considered science fiction or fiction are now becoming a reality by the year. 

He's embraced technology to an extent. But he stays away from social media. No facebook, no snapchat, no instagram and no twitter. That doesn't mean he's dumb. He's very sharp. He loves posting videos of his fishing skills here in N-FL on Youtube and he's also really big on building things from scratch. He's built himself and myself and my brothers all really good gaming PC's. He's been playing World of Warcraft now for over 10 years in between fishing and what not. 

He used to be a little less caring and more rough around the edges when I was growing up in his late 20's and 30's. Getting older though he's often told me it creates a higher sense of mortality. That as you get older you appreciate time more. He's trying to teach me every little trick and skill he knows. From installing A.C's, planting and gardening our own food and fixing up roofs and cars and cleaning and taking apart fishing rods and reels. 

He just sees that the last few generations that have come up behind him are pretty much spoiled and have their heads so far up their [BLEEP] it's amazing that they can even breath. I hate the fact that I am considered a "millenial" because I honestly feel that I was raised differently than the "typical" millenial we think of today. 

The best techniques and skills are passed down from the survivors. He's just trying to make sure we all know how to take care of ourselves when the [BLEEP] hits the fan. Not doomsday prepper level. But basics. So we don't get robbed down the line when he's gone.

I would have to say that I agree with you, I hate that I am considered a millennial. I too was raised the same way. My father was tough but he busted his [BLEEP] for our family and without him I would not be the man that I am today.

This is going to sound incredibly selfish however it is what it is. There is one advantage being part of such a "Dumbed Down Generation." If you are smarter than the average person of your age, you can live quite a nice life. Income disparity is on the rise, IMO, it has a lot to do with our "Dumbed Down Generation". Corruption certainly plays it's role, but in poor countries the smart people are the ones with all the money. This seems to be coming more common here in the US.

Every time someone talks about homosexuality being shoved down their throat, I just laugh. It's priceless.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 08-30-2017, 03:08 AM by HandsomeRob86.)

(08-29-2017, 10:11 AM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: We are entering a Fourth Turning, a generational crisis point.  Strauss-Howe generational theory posits 4 repeating phases, each phase roughly 20-25 years and one complete turning every 80-100 years.  

1 - High.
2 - Awakening.
3 - Unraveling.
4 - Crisis.  

And the 4 generational archetypes Prophet, Nomad, Hero and Artist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strauss%E2...nal_theory

There is no way Millenials can fit that 'Hero' mold. We do not compare to the greatest generation at all. It would take a lot of weeding out to get to those who could even try.

Edit: I also hate being lumped in with millennials, the dividing line should be the 90's not the 80's.

(08-29-2017, 06:23 PM)The Holy Teal Wrote:
(08-29-2017, 06:17 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Sorry you are offended by my comments regarding homosexuality cupcake.  I hope that you and your "partner" aren't too offended.

Not offended at all. Just feel bad for you and your [BLEEP] world view boy.

Wait, your mad and don't agree with his worldview and your calling it crap? I thought you were open and accepting!

You need to acknowledge that his worldview is equally valid as yours is.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(08-29-2017, 05:58 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(08-29-2017, 04:54 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: It means that people who have such rosy memories of the past are fortunate (privileged) to have been in a position where those memories are happy ones. It's a privilege that not everyone shares, and those who are changing the present DON'T have the same nostalgia for the past that some do. And it's past time that people who cry to restore the past be confronted with the cold, hard reality that people were disenfranchised so they could have that happy lifestyle and now it's time for payback! So get to the self-flagellation over the past already.

How old are you? I don't mean that in a demeaning way, just wanting to know what decade your formative years were. I was born in 1972 so what I call my formative years were the 80's. 

I agree that people need to understand there were folks who suffered so others could live prosperously. The problem is with your own verbiage. Payback. The folks you are vowing payback on had nothing to do with the suffering of the aforementioned folks. Didn't have the slightest idea what was going on because we were kids/young adults in a world that didn't have the ability to learn the way we do now through technology. Keep using words like payback and you will never achieve anything other than division. 

You do realize that people weren't born into their lives of their choosing, right? How we were raised, who taught us what, where we were raised geographically, the morals and values we were taught (or in some cases the lack thereof.) Our foundations were laid out for us and built upon as we grew up. Society in our early years shapes how we will view things the rest of our lives, even if on a small scale. I was one of those people who swore up and down I would always be up with the times, always be rolling with whatever was happening around me, would never sound like my parents about "how back in the day." The thing is, you can't help it. And us older folks grew up in very small worlds where we only knew what we were told by our friends in the neighborhood and at school, parents, teachers, the Big Three news channels, the local paper, and the entertainment industry. All of this was very localized. There was no global anything other than the Olympics and the Cold War or Vietnam. 

Some stay in their little bubble world and never actually learn anything about people, places and things that are different than they are. They don't even want to or it never occurs to them to do so. Some, like myself, go out and experience all kinds of different people, places and things that (hopefully) broaden our views of the world. I am a lot more open minded than most people think and more than many of my friends care for me to be. My husband was born and raised in the county we live in. He's lived in two houses in his 46 years on earth. He was very narrow minded when we married but I have been able to show him that things are not always what they seem and he's beginning to understand how much he doesn't know and is willing to listen even if we end up agreeing to disagree on some issues. 

THIS is where we need to be as a society. Everyone is not going to agree on whatever issue is currently stirring people up. Sometimes we need to be willing to agree to disagree and move on. If it's an issue that needs to be addressed and 'worked on' then we need to be willing to listen to all sides and work toward a resolution that doesn't involve violence.

I'm your age, and my words were the intentions of those people I was describing. It's evident in how the political discourse is proceeding that the goal is revenge on the past, nothing more.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(08-30-2017, 10:15 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(08-29-2017, 05:58 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: How old are you? I don't mean that in a demeaning way, just wanting to know what decade your formative years were. I was born in 1972 so what I call my formative years were the 80's. 

I'm your age, and my words were the intentions of those people I was describing. It's evident in how the political discourse is proceeding that the goal is revenge on the past, nothing more.

I'm not so sure that the entire problem with today's society is purely political...Technology and poor parenting have a huge roll in the kids behavior today...The kids today are so wrapped up in social media that they have very few REAL friends and hundreds of friends they have never met on social media who they interact with rather than face to face interaction...Watch a teenager for a day and see what they do...They are so dependent on their phones they won't even go to the bathroom without their phone, yet when the rare event where several teenagers are together they don't really even talk, they all just sit there staring at their phones showing each other what so and so said...They have ZERO social skills...To top that off, the teenagers believe most of everything they read on the internet...

Another major problem with the young people today is they were brought up with the tv as a baby sitter...Between video games, bazillions of cable channels, movies there isn't or wasn't very much any parental or social interaction, the majority of which was online...Iv'e heard some parents say they really don't care what their kids are doing as long as they aren't bothering them...

Today's society has no patience...They were born into the world of instant gratification which in it's self might not be such a bad thing...You want a meal throw something in the microwave for a few minutes and there you go...You want to hear a certain song. you don't need to wait for it to come on the radio, just watch/listen to it online...Those things are great, but when it comes to relationships, they rely on the internet or social media to find "LOVE"...I have to laugh like hell when I see the same people on FB change their status to "In a relationship" after talking to someone for a couple days and they are so much "IN LOVE" and a week later they are openly fighting  on FB, changing their status back to single only to change it back to In a relationship within a week...

The entire school system is [BLEEP] and nothing but [BLEEP]...They teach you how to take a test, but not how to retain knowledge...My stepson is now 21 but when he graduated from high school and had to mail things for college applications, he had no idea how to address an envelope, no idea how to look something up in the phone book, no idea how to fill out a job application, but by God he can tell you how to do anything on a smart phone and knows all the cheat codes for every popular video games...

(08-30-2017, 11:20 AM)wrong_box Wrote:
(08-30-2017, 10:15 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I'm your age, and my words were the intentions of those people I was describing. It's evident in how the political discourse is proceeding that the goal is revenge on the past, nothing more.

I'm not so sure that the entire problem with today's society is purely political...Technology and poor parenting have a huge roll in the kids behavior today...The kids today are so wrapped up in social media that they have very few REAL friends and hundreds of friends they have never met on social media who they interact with rather than face to face interaction...Watch a teenager for a day and see what they do...They are so dependent on their phones they won't even go to the bathroom without their phone, yet when the rare event where several teenagers are together they don't really even talk, they all just sit there staring at their phones showing each other what so and so said...They have ZERO social skills...To top that off, the teenagers believe most of everything they read on the internet...

Another major problem with the young people today is they were brought up with the tv as a baby sitter...Between video games, bazillions of cable channels, movies there isn't or wasn't very much any parental or social interaction, the majority of which was online...Iv'e heard some parents say they really don't care what their kids are doing as long as they aren't bothering them...

Today's society has no patience...They were born into the world of instant gratification which in it's self might not be such a bad thing...You want a meal throw something in the microwave for a few minutes and there you go...You want to hear a certain song. you don't need to wait for it to come on the radio, just watch/listen to it online...Those things are great, but when it comes to relationships, they rely on the internet or social media to find "LOVE"...I have to laugh like hell when I see the same people on FB change their status to "In a relationship" after talking to someone for a couple days and they are so much "IN LOVE" and a week later they are openly fighting  on FB, changing their status back to single only to change it back to In a relationship within a week...

The entire school system is [BLEEP] and nothing but [BLEEP]...They teach you how to take a test, but not how to retain knowledge...My stepson is now 21 but when he graduated from high school and had to mail things for college applications, he had no idea how to address an envelope, no idea how to look something up in the phone book, no idea how to fill out a job application, but by God he can tell you how to do anything on a smart phone and knows all the cheat codes for every popular video games...
Boy. You sure do like generalizing don't you?

You're so out of touch with young people it's insane. It's not the teachers fault that he doesn't know how to mail something, it's probably yours. Kids do learn how to mail things in fact having a pen pal still exists to this day. But you wouldn't know that because you have zero interest in what the younger generation is doing these days. Let's just blame it all on technology and the teachers but not hold parents (including yourself) accountable. 

Try teaching your kid how to mail something, write an application or use a phone book. Ultimately, they're YOUR child.

(This post was last modified: 08-30-2017, 12:39 PM by wrong_box.)

(08-30-2017, 12:12 PM)Frailbones Wrote:
(08-30-2017, 11:20 AM)wrong_box Wrote: I'm not so sure that the entire problem with today's society is purely political...Technology and poor parenting have a huge roll in the kids behavior today...The kids today are so wrapped up in social media that they have very few REAL friends and hundreds of friends they have never met on social media who they interact with rather than face to face interaction...Watch a teenager for a day and see what they do...They are so dependent on their phones they won't even go to the bathroom without their phone, yet when the rare event where several teenagers are together they don't really even talk, they all just sit there staring at their phones showing each other what so and so said...They have ZERO social skills...To top that off, the teenagers believe most of everything they read on the internet...

Boy. You sure do like generalizing don't you?

You're so out of touch with young people it's insane. It's not the teachers fault that he doesn't know how to mail something, it's probably yours. Kids do learn how to mail things in fact having a pen pal still exists to this day. But you wouldn't know that because you have zero interest in what the younger generation is doing these days. Let's just blame it all on technology and the teachers but not hold parents (including yourself) accountable. 

Try teaching your kid how to mail something, write an application or use a phone book. Ultimately, they're YOUR child.

you have no idea what and how I parent my kids..My kids have many useful skills that most kids their age don't have that aren't taught in schools due to our teachings...I'm not out of touch with kids, I am simply appalled by how far the school system has degraded...They pick and choose what to teach, omit lots of history and anything that might cause controversy, the standard for education has dramatically decreased... No shop classes, no Home Economics classes, PE is almost non existent, no life skill classes, no creative writing classes, and cursive writing is not even taught in Pa. Try knowing something about a person before you judge them

(08-30-2017, 12:33 PM)wrong_box Wrote:
(08-30-2017, 12:12 PM)Frailbones Wrote: Boy. You sure do like generalizing don't you?

you have no idea what and how I parent my kids..My kids have many useful skills that most kids their age don't have that aren't taught in schools due to our teachings...I'm not out of touch with kids, I am simply appalled by how far the school system has degraded...They pick and choose what to teach, omit lots of history and anything that might cause controversy, the standard for education has dramatically decreased...Try knowing something about a person before you judge them
Says the guy who is generalizing an entire generation.....

(This post was last modified: 08-30-2017, 12:47 PM by wrong_box.)

(08-30-2017, 12:35 PM)Frailbones Wrote:
(08-30-2017, 12:33 PM)wrong_box Wrote: you have no idea what and how I parent my kids..My kids have many useful skills that most kids their age don't have that aren't taught in schools due to our teachings...I'm not out of touch with kids, I am simply appalled by how far the school system has degraded...They pick and choose what to teach, omit lots of history and anything that might cause controversy, the standard for education has dramatically decreased...Try knowing something about a person before you judge them
Says the guy who is generalizing an entire generation.....
Maybe you should open your eyes and pay attention to what's really happening with the kids of the world today

(08-30-2017, 12:45 PM)wrong_box Wrote:
(08-30-2017, 12:35 PM)Frailbones Wrote: Says the guy who is generalizing an entire generation.....
Maybe you should open your eyes and pay attention to what's really happening with the kids of the world today
They're growing up in a completely different time than you or I. 

You want them to me more like you and your generation? Maybe you should open your eyes and your mind to the fact that they're different. Just like you grew up in a different time period than the generation before you. You had you own problems and worries that your parents didn't understand. 

Every generation has good things and bad things about them but you are making it out to seem like this entire generation will blow up the world. The young kids today will probably be the first generation to cure cancer. Technology is growing at such a rapid pace that kids today learn to adapt to it extremely quickly which is a good thing. Some kids social skills are poor but guess what.... every generation has kids that are like. I see it every single day.

So instead of just proclaiming that this generation is completely incompetent, try attempting to understand them. After all, they are still very young.

(08-30-2017, 01:09 PM)Frailbones Wrote:
(08-30-2017, 12:45 PM)wrong_box Wrote: Maybe you should open your eyes and pay attention to what's really happening with the kids of the world today
They're growing up in a completely different time than you or I. 

You want them to me more like you and your generation? Maybe you should open your eyes and your mind to the fact that they're different. Just like you grew up in a different time period than the generation before you. You had you own problems and worries that your parents didn't understand. 

Every generation has good things and bad things about them but you are making it out to seem like this entire generation will blow up the world. The young kids today will probably be the first generation to cure cancer. Technology is growing at such a rapid pace that kids today learn to adapt to it extremely quickly which is a good thing. Some kids social skills are poor but guess what.... every generation has kids that are like. I see it every single day.

So instead of just proclaiming that this generation is completely incompetent, try attempting to understand them. After all, they are still very young.
These are the future leaders of our country and that scares the hell out of me...There are some bright kids out there but every generation this country gets farther behind in education, everything costs more than its worth, wages don't meet the cost of living increase, the amount of debt increases and violence increases and these kids are the ones causing violence and we are supposed be tolerant of that...One day we will end up like Greece and fall from the worlds superpower I'm not confidant that these kids with zero social skills will have what it takes to lead this country...

(08-30-2017, 01:27 PM)wrong_box Wrote:
(08-30-2017, 01:09 PM)Frailbones Wrote: They're growing up in a completely different time than you or I. 

These are the future leaders of our country and that scares the hell out of me...There are some bright kids out there but every generation this country gets farther behind in education, everything costs more than its worth, wages don't meet the cost of living increase, the amount of debt increases and violence increases and these kids are the ones causing violence and we are supposed be tolerant of that...One day we will end up like Greece and fall from the worlds superpower I'm not confidant that these kids with zero social skills will have what it takes to lead this country...

What you've just described happens with every generation, and Greece hasn't been a superpower since the days of Zeus.

As mentioned, every generation recognizes differences. The unfortunate part is the lesson aren't being learned. Generational decline is a real thing, and there is empirical evidence to show today's generation (30 and under) is much worse off in regards to tangible items like wealth, health, etc. This is known, yet gets explained away or ignored as just a different time. There is something to the lack of social skills, lack of drive, lack of concern with health, etc. You would have thought the best of every generation would compound to the current. Just not the case and that knowledge is getting stale and forgotten. Can't put the complete onus on the new generation though. It's up to parents and grand parents to make sure knowledge is passed, and unfortunately, parenting has dropped off out of financial necessity and well, some laziness. Broad generalization on all fronts but that is what you get when measuring a populace.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]