Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
It Saddens Me

(08-30-2017, 02:52 PM)B2hibry Wrote: As mentioned, every generation recognizes differences. The unfortunate part is the lesson aren't being learned. Generational decline is a real thing, and there is empirical evidence to show today's generation (30 and under) is much worse off in regards to tangible items like wealth, health, etc. This is known, yet gets explained away or ignored as just a different time. There is something to the lack of social skills, lack of drive, lack of concern with health, etc. You would have thought the best of every generation would compound to the current. Just not the case and that knowledge is getting stale and forgotten. Can't put the complete onus on the new generation though. It's up to parents and grand parents to make sure knowledge is passed, and unfortunately, parenting has dropped off out of financial necessity and well, some laziness. Broad generalization on all fronts but that is what you get when measuring a populace.

So true. This is what truly saddens me.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 08-31-2017, 01:08 PM by wrong_box.)

(08-30-2017, 01:43 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(08-30-2017, 01:27 PM)wrong_box Wrote: These are the future leaders of our country and that scares the hell out of me...There are some bright kids out there but every generation this country gets farther behind in education, everything costs more than its worth, wages don't meet the cost of living increase, the amount of debt increases and violence increases and these kids are the ones causing violence and we are supposed be tolerant of that...One day we will end up like Greece and fall from the worlds superpower I'm not confidant that these kids with zero social skills will have what it takes to lead this country...

What you've just described happens with every generation, and Greece hasn't been a superpower since the days of Zeus.

I wasn't meaning to compare Greece as a world power, I was meaning to highlight the fact that Greece has financially spiraled down to insolvency relying on bailouts from foreign countries to survive, which is where I see us heading if we don't get our finances in check

Using the fact that this is simply another generation in which every prior generation swears is bringing this country down is true...

Every generation HAS brought this country down...

The cost of living increases every year more than the wages do, kids have less and less respect for anyone and anything, greed and corruption grows, schools don't teach subjects like they used to but have become more politically correct and terribly afraid to mention certain topics such as Jesus, but can say anything they want about Allah, until Trump repealed the order or law whatever it was banning prayer in public places, kids couldn't pray in schools, with the exception of Muslims (which is bull [BLEEP])...and the list goes on

Yeah..every generation has it's faults, but we are allowing this generation to act as they do with all their protesting (which is just a term they use for rioting and looting)...Oh the government says Oh thats bad, that's disrespectful, that's against the law, and that's as far as they go to stop it...

We didn't get where we are today by the failures of any single generation, we got here by the sum of every preceding generation..

[Image: Youth-Lives-On-Hope-Old-Age-On-Memories..png]
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(08-31-2017, 01:12 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [Image: Youth-Lives-On-Hope-Old-Age-On-Memories..png]
TRUE! While hope is an unknown, memories are fact, but no one wants to learn from memories, which is a problem in it's self...

(08-31-2017, 01:23 PM)wrong_box Wrote:
(08-31-2017, 01:12 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [Image: Youth-Lives-On-Hope-Old-Age-On-Memories..png]
TRUE! While hope is an unknown, memories are fact, but no one wants to learn from memories, which is a problem in it's self...

Memories are the farthest thing on Earth from fact. They are colored by circumstances, nostalgia, and the unknown.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(08-28-2017, 07:49 PM)Jagwired Wrote: Meh, at one time Elvis and the Beatles were bringing about the demise of our country. Before them it was someone/something else.
I believe it is inevitable as we age that we see things as always better before. The we did things the right way back then attitude goes all the way back to the beginning of modern man. Times change, It's called evolution.

There has always been whining and moaning, and this yearning for "The Good Old Days" that weren't all that good to begin with.

The whiners can't see they have become the whiners they always rolled there eyes at and laughed at.

(08-28-2017, 08:34 PM)wrong_box Wrote:
(08-28-2017, 07:04 PM)Frailbones Wrote: I think JIB had a pretty good post but then some of you are saying "right there with ya!" And you're not actually agreeing with what he said.

It's a different time and that's neither good nor bad. It's different. You're trying to label all kids and millenials as the same and that's not right. I'm 32 and I still eat at the dinner table every night with my family of 4. We watch movies on Sunday (just watched Trolls... fantastic). So while there is a small group of people who are nut jobs ( on both sides of the aisle), trying to label everyone one thing is the true downfall. Liberal Snowflakes are all the problem! Those conservative racists need  to go!

So yes, things are changing but you need to adapt and change with it. You don't have to change everything but understanding these changes and adapting is how to survive.

Ok that's GREAT! Now answer this...how many others do that? Of course no one can know the exact number but my point is, there are few families who do this anymore...

No I don't need to adapt to "the new world" where people have no idea of what gender they are, or influence their children in kindergarten that they are really not a boy if they feel they are a girl...I don't have to adapt to african americans claiming all white people should give them their houses in atonement for slavery...This whole world is going backwards and people like you encouraging others to embrace and accept this "new world" rather than trying to right the wrongs being committed, are the biggest problem there is...

(08-29-2017, 03:54 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Contrary to what some of the comments made regarding my OP, I wasn't specifically calling out any generation (millennials), at least not intentionally.  What I'm getting at is that people have seemed to have lost a certain "pride" in this country and the many things that made it great.  We as a society have become a "me first" kind of society.  I'm specifically talking about what I grew up in and have seen during my lifetime (early 1960's to now).

A simple thing such as cussing was "frowned upon" by peers in school, except in certain groups.  In today's schools discipline is out of control and it isn't "shocking" or frowned upon to see a student cussing a teacher out, or worse, assaulting a teacher.

Becoming pregnant while being single was "frowned upon" especially at a young age.  It used to be that when it did happen, the "baby daddy" would step up and either marry the mother, or at least provide some kind of support.  That doesn't happen today.

Young children (ages 1 - 18) used to have some respect for adults.  Not so much anymore.

People of all ages used to respect The Flag, The National Anthem and what they are about.  Not so much anymore.  Instead you have professional athletes that are supposedly "role models" for kids doing the opposite, and kids are mimicking it.

People weren't "confused" about what gender they were and knew which public restroom to use.  Not so much anymore.  In fact, children as young as 6 or 7 are being indoctrinated regarding gender.  The article in the link should be disturbing to most people, yet many agree with what the school did and what the "teacher" did with a kindergarten class.

"Protesting" today means violence and unrest.  The Antifa punks are nothing more than the "occupy Wall Street" losers.  They expect everything to be "free" and they want "rich people" to pay for it.  It's never crossed their minds to actually go out and work for and achieve something.

Being gay used to mean "being in the closet" because it wasn't socially acceptable.  I can handle and deal with people being openly gay, in fact not only do I work for someone who is, but I also have a brother who is.  What is different is how the lifestyle is constantly shoved down our throats.  I mean, "gay pride"?  What is that?  Do some gay individuals really need to openly express affection for one another in public?  Do we really need events and parades because a small minority of individuals choose to live a different lifestyle?

Without getting into religious discussion, The Ten Commandments have been displayed at many courthouses throughout the country as have crosses in many areas.  Why are they suddenly so "offensive" that they have to be removed?  The same goes for Confederate monuments that have been displayed for many years.

I could go on, but the list is too long.

tldr;  We've lost our way as a society.

You have made (actually forced) all of the issues to which you now complain.

(This post was last modified: 09-01-2017, 01:18 AM by wrong_box.)

(08-31-2017, 01:31 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(08-31-2017, 01:23 PM)wrong_box Wrote: TRUE! While hope is an unknown, memories are fact, but no one wants to learn from memories, which is a problem in it's self...

Memories are the farthest thing on Earth from fact. They are colored by circumstances, nostalgia, and the unknown.

Tell that to the Jewish people who survived the Nazi death camps and the people who survived the great depression, WW2, Vietnam, Korean war, Desert Storm surviors...How about Kent State? That's not nostalgia, ATTICA ATTICA ATTICA wasn't a battle cry for a fictional event...MLK's "I Have A Dream" speech is certainly none of what you described memories as...Jim Jones committed a huge massacre getting his religious followers to drink poison...What was that guy name in Waco David Koresh sure brainwashed hundreds of followers and let them get killed...Memories are certainly FACT...

(08-31-2017, 10:02 PM)nate Wrote:
(08-28-2017, 08:34 PM)wrong_box Wrote: Ok that's GREAT! Now answer this...how many others do that? Of course no one can know the exact number but my point is, there are few families who do this anymore...

No I don't need to adapt to "the new world" where people have no idea of what gender they are, or influence their children in kindergarten that they are really not a boy if they feel they are a girl...I don't have to adapt to african americans claiming all white people should give them their houses in atonement for slavery...This whole world is going backwards and people like you encouraging others to embrace and accept this "new world" rather than trying to right the wrongs being committed, are the biggest problem there is...

(08-29-2017, 03:54 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Contrary to what some of the comments made regarding my OP, I wasn't specifically calling out any generation (millennials), at least not intentionally.  What I'm getting at is that people have seemed to have lost a certain "pride" in this country and the many things that made it great.  We as a society have become a "me first" kind of society.  I'm specifically talking about what I grew up in and have seen during my lifetime (early 1960's to now).

A simple thing such as cussing was "frowned upon" by peers in school, except in certain groups.  In today's schools discipline is out of control and it isn't "shocking" or frowned upon to see a student cussing a teacher out, or worse, assaulting a teacher.

Becoming pregnant while being single was "frowned upon" especially at a young age.  It used to be that when it did happen, the "baby daddy" would step up and either marry the mother, or at least provide some kind of support.  That doesn't happen today.

Young children (ages 1 - 18) used to have some respect for adults.  Not so much anymore.

People of all ages used to respect The Flag, The National Anthem and what they are about.  Not so much anymore.  Instead you have professional athletes that are supposedly "role models" for kids doing the opposite, and kids are mimicking it.

People weren't "confused" about what gender they were and knew which public restroom to use.  Not so much anymore.  In fact, children as young as 6 or 7 are being indoctrinated regarding gender.  The article in the link should be disturbing to most people, yet many agree with what the school did and what the "teacher" did with a kindergarten class.

"Protesting" today means violence and unrest.  The Antifa punks are nothing more than the "occupy Wall Street" losers.  They expect everything to be "free" and they want "rich people" to pay for it.  It's never crossed their minds to actually go out and work for and achieve something.

Being gay used to mean "being in the closet" because it wasn't socially acceptable.  I can handle and deal with people being openly gay, in fact not only do I work for someone who is, but I also have a brother who is.  What is different is how the lifestyle is constantly shoved down our throats.  I mean, "gay pride"?  What is that?  Do some gay individuals really need to openly express affection for one another in public?  Do we really need events and parades because a small minority of individuals choose to live a different lifestyle?

Without getting into religious discussion, The Ten Commandments have been displayed at many courthouses throughout the country as have crosses in many areas.  Why are they suddenly so "offensive" that they have to be removed?  The same goes for Confederate monuments that have been displayed for many years.

I could go on, but the list is too long.

tldr;  We've lost our way as a society.

You have made (actually forced) all of the issues to which you now complain.

Shame on you JIB!!! Your're a big meany doo doo head for causing all this chaos !

(09-01-2017, 01:09 AM)wrong_box Wrote:
(08-31-2017, 01:31 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Memories are the farthest thing on Earth from fact. They are colored by circumstances, nostalgia, and the unknown.

Tell that to the Jewish people who survived the Nazi death camps and the people who survived the great depression, WW2, Vietnam, Korean war, Desert Storm surviors...How about Kent State? That's not nostalgia, ATTICA ATTICA ATTICA wasn't a battle cry for a fictional event...MLK's "I Have A Dream" speech is certainly none of what you described memories as...Jim Jones committed a huge massacre getting his religious followers to drink poison...What was that guy name in Waco David Koresh sure brainwashed hundreds of followers and let them get killed...Memories are certainly FACT...

You're confusing memories with objective facts. History, my dear boy, was written by the winners. What you've done is demonstrate the nostalgic folly of the OP, the things you list there are the BAD things that happened (sans MLK, though many remember that as bad too), while he was feting the GOOD things which he merely perceived to be true in his narrow sphere of personal knowledge. It's ok to be nostalgic, we all have our own triggers that cause us to want the simpler times of our youth, but adults realize that those good things we remember aren't always as wonderful as we remember them. And you also can't go home again.

(09-01-2017, 01:20 AM)wrong_box Wrote:
(08-31-2017, 10:02 PM)nate Wrote: You have made (actually forced) all of the issues to which you now complain.

Shame on you JIB!!! Your're a big meany doo doo head for causing all this chaos !

Well, it's not like this stuff didn't happen in his generation too.

(This post was last modified: 09-01-2017, 12:46 PM by wrong_box.)

(09-01-2017, 07:10 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(09-01-2017, 01:09 AM)wrong_box Wrote: Tell that to the Jewish people who survived the Nazi death camps and the people who survived the great depression, WW2, Vietnam, Korean war, Desert Storm surviors...How about Kent State? That's not nostalgia, ATTICA ATTICA ATTICA wasn't a battle cry for a fictional event...MLK's "I Have A Dream" speech is certainly none of what you described memories as...Jim Jones committed a huge massacre getting his religious followers to drink poison...What was that guy name in Waco David Koresh sure brainwashed hundreds of followers and let them get killed...Memories are certainly FACT...

You're confusing memories with objective facts. History, my dear boy, was written by the winners. What you've done is demonstrate the nostalgic folly of the OP, the things you list there are the BAD things that happened (sans MLK, though many remember that as bad too), while he was feting the GOOD things which he merely perceived to be true in his narrow sphere of personal knowledge. It's ok to be nostalgic, we all have our own triggers that cause us to want the simpler times of our youth, but adults realize that those good things we remember aren't always as wonderful as we remember them. And you also can't go home again.

WRONG! Objective facts are also memories...All of which I mentioned and much much more are memories...I will admit that some memories change over time but not all do...If a Jewish man who survived the Nazi death camps tells his story, it's from memories...Pretty much anything told from the past is a memory, sometimes info is added to the story making it a tale of sorts, but it's still a memory...

Tell me...where do memories originate from? Never mind, I'll tell you...Memories come from things that really happened that people remember

(09-01-2017, 07:32 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(09-01-2017, 01:20 AM)wrong_box Wrote: Shame on you JIB!!! Your're a big meany doo doo head for causing all this chaos !

Well, it's not like this stuff didn't happen in his generation too.

and he caused it all...he's a big meanie doo doo head for doing so

(09-01-2017, 12:44 PM)wrong_box Wrote:
(09-01-2017, 07:10 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: You're confusing memories with objective facts. History, my dear boy, was written by the winners. What you've done is demonstrate the nostalgic folly of the OP, the things you list there are the BAD things that happened (sans MLK, though many remember that as bad too), while he was feting the GOOD things which he merely perceived to be true in his narrow sphere of personal knowledge. It's ok to be nostalgic, we all have our own triggers that cause us to want the simpler times of our youth, but adults realize that those good things we remember aren't always as wonderful as we remember them. And you also can't go home again.

WRONG! Objective facts are also memories...All of which I mentioned and much much more are memories...I will admit that some memories change over time but not all do...If a Jewish man who survived the Nazi death camps tells his story, it's from memories...Pretty much anything told from the past is a memory, sometimes info is added to the story making it a tale of sorts, but it's still a memory...

Tell me...where do memories originate from? Never mind, I'll tell you...Memories come from things that really happened that people remember

You're welcome to believe that your memories are facts, but anecdotes aren't data. Simple fact.

(09-01-2017, 04:28 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(09-01-2017, 12:44 PM)wrong_box Wrote: WRONG! Objective facts are also memories...All of which I mentioned and much much more are memories...I will admit that some memories change over time but not all do...If a Jewish man who survived the Nazi death camps tells his story, it's from memories...Pretty much anything told from the past is a memory, sometimes info is added to the story making it a tale of sorts, but it's still a memory...

You're welcome to believe that your memories are facts, but anecdotes aren't data. Simple fact.

ok so memories are made up tales that never happened...Gotcha...The people suffering from PTSD will thank you for this information, as will people who suffered traumatic experiences, the only people who won't like that little bit of info are people who relish  happy memories

(09-02-2017, 03:44 PM)wrong_box Wrote:
(09-01-2017, 04:28 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: You're welcome to believe that your memories are facts, but anecdotes aren't data. Simple fact.

ok so memories are made up tales that never happened...Gotcha...The people suffering from PTSD will thank you for this information, as will people who suffered traumatic experiences, the only people who won't like that little bit of info are people who relish  happy memories
You're just not understanding what he's saying. It has nothing to do with PTSD.

(This post was last modified: 09-02-2017, 04:50 PM by wrong_box.)

(09-02-2017, 04:11 PM)Frailbones Wrote:
(09-02-2017, 03:44 PM)wrong_box Wrote: ok so memories are made up tales that never happened...Gotcha...The people suffering from PTSD will thank you for this information, as will people who suffered traumatic experiences, the only people who won't like that little bit of info are people who relish  happy memories
You're just not understanding what he's saying. It has nothing to do with PTSD.

I'm understanding just fine, bad memories and traumatic experiences cause PTSD, therefore memories are more than just objective facts...When people recall memories, they are recalling things that happened

(09-02-2017, 03:44 PM)wrong_box Wrote:
(09-01-2017, 04:28 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: You're welcome to believe that your memories are facts, but anecdotes aren't data. Simple fact.

ok so memories are made up tales that never happened...Gotcha...The people I bysuffering from PTSD will thank you for this information, as will people who suffered traumatic experiences, the only people who won't like that little bit of info are people who relish  happy memories

No, as I said, the memories of individuals are colored by time and nostalgia. Every old generation bemoans the young generation, always. 

Now that WB is old, he and the OP just cant accept that truth.

(09-02-2017, 06:17 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(09-02-2017, 03:44 PM)wrong_box Wrote: ok so memories are made up tales that never happened...Gotcha...The people I bysuffering from PTSD will thank you for this information, as will people who suffered traumatic experiences, the only people who won't like that little bit of info are people who relish  happy memories

No, as I said, the memories of individuals are colored by time and nostalgia. Every old generation bemoans the young generation, always. 

I already said every generation goes through this, still not every memory is nostalgia, I'm sure that not a single memory a Nazi death camp survivor is feeling nostalgic when telling their story... 

"nos·tal·gia    a sentimental longing or wistful affection for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal associations: .

https://www.google.com/search?q=nostalgi...e&ie=UTF-8

(09-02-2017, 09:13 PM)wrong_box Wrote:
(09-02-2017, 06:17 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: No, as I said, the memories of individuals are colored by time and nostalgia. Every old generation bemoans the young generation, always. 

I already said every generation goes through this, still not every memory is nostalgia, I'm sure that not a single memory a Nazi death camp survivor is feeling nostalgic when telling their story... 

"nos·tal·gia    a sentimental longing or wistful affection for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal associations: .

https://www.google.com/search?q=nostalgi...e&ie=UTF-8

OF course, but they aren't romanticizing their childhoods to the detriment of the current generations either.