Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NFL.com analysts predict 2nd place

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...-for-south

Found this prediction interesting.  They break down various parts of each team to develop a composite, and have the Jags at number 2 in the division, just behind the tacks.  

All comes down to QB play really.  If Bortles can play decent, we have a shot.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

If it comes down to QB play we won't have a snowball's chance in hell this year. He's been the achilles heel for awhile now. I find it hard to believe we'll be behind the tacks this year by one spot. I personally feel we'll be competing with the tinhorns for the basement space.

Everyone keeps sleeping on the clots too. I am not. If Luck is close to 100% they're potentially a 10 win team. Not a big fan of Pagano but Luck truly can carry a team if they keep him upright.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 08-31-2017, 07:10 AM by BritJag.)

The Colts D won't allow him time on the field. They are atrocious. As a great man once said, scru the colts, and tacks if you may. We are winning the division. Say it often enough, see what happens. Time to stop wallowing on the backside before the race even begins.
Success is a journey, not a destination.  Go all out Mighty Jaguars.

(08-31-2017, 06:56 AM)Caldrac Wrote: If it comes down to QB play we won't have a snowball's chance in hell this year. He's been the achilles heel for awhile now. I find it hard to believe we'll be behind the tacks this year by one spot. I personally feel we'll be competing with the tinhorns for the basement space.

Everyone keeps sleeping on the clots too. I am not. If Luck is close to 100% they're potentially a 10 win team. Not a big fan of Pagano but Luck truly can carry a team if they keep him upright.

What on Earth makes you think Luck will he ANYWHERE close to 100% this year? He's yet to throw a football. There's people thinking he may never be the same QB again.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(This post was last modified: 08-31-2017, 07:27 AM by Caldrac.)

(08-31-2017, 07:15 AM)mvannostran Wrote:
(08-31-2017, 06:56 AM)Caldrac Wrote: If it comes down to QB play we won't have a snowball's chance in hell this year. He's been the achilles heel for awhile now. I find it hard to believe we'll be behind the tacks this year by one spot. I personally feel we'll be competing with the tinhorns for the basement space.

What on Earth makes you think Luck will he ANYWHERE close to 100% this year? He's yet to throw a football. There's people thinking he may never be the same QB again.

Yeahhhhhh and people said the same about Manning after he had his neck infused or fixed up. Anything is possible. Luck's a competitor. And father time is on his side right now. Don't sleep on the clots. That's all I am saying. 

Everyone keeps getting all hyped up about our team here locally, which is fine. That's what diehard fans do. But I just can't. They haven't shown us anything since 2007. They haven't shown us anything this pre-season. You just had Marrone announce that their was an open competition for the QB job and then two days later announce that Bortles won it after he threw a pick against scrubs and almost threw a pick six going back the other way 95 yards. 

Not really a ringing endorsement is it? On top of that. We've seen Fournette just ONCE this pre-season and he's already banged up foot wise which is just an on going trend of his coming over from LSU. Plus, the offensive line clearly has issues getting push up front to create running lanes. 

The defense is still questionable for me as well. I don't care about all the shiny new pieces they've added this off season. Still need to see them perform. They didn't play Brady in week one. They let Winston march right down on them twice. And then they let Newton and his offense run us into the ground and then start high fiving each other after they shut down Anderson on the 2nd drive. 

I am not impressed at all. This team has a lot of work to do still. And to think that they're somehow going to go from being an 11 - 34 team over the last three years with the same offensive line in place and the same QB in place you've lost your damn mind. 2nd place? Are you kidding me?

I've been posting on the old MB and this new MB since I was 16 years old, give or take. My memories a bit fuzzy. Any long time poster can tell you at one point I was your typical, optimistic fan. I was the Lt. Dan embracing the storm every off-season hoping to wake up the next day in Shrimp Heaven man. But that Shrimp never comes. LOL.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

If Luck can play, the Colts will be a division contender. If not, they will finish behind us. At this point, I have no idea whether Luck is gonna play at all this season. Maybe he plays game 1 and continues all season, but maybe he misses all 16 games. It's a mystery. I still say it's Tennessee's division to lose and the Texans could surprise some people if the O-Line plays better.

Once Merry Otter gets broke the tacks will be done.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(08-31-2017, 07:24 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(08-31-2017, 07:15 AM)mvannostran Wrote: What on Earth makes you think Luck will he ANYWHERE close to 100% this year? He's yet to throw a football. There's people thinking he may never be the same QB again.

Yeahhhhhh and people said the same about Manning after he had his neck infused or fixed up. Anything is possible. Luck's a competitor. And father time is on his side right now. Don't sleep on the clots. That's all I am saying. 

Everyone keeps getting all hyped up about our team here locally, which is fine. That's what diehard fans do. But I just can't. They haven't shown us anything since 2007. They haven't shown us anything this pre-season. You just had Marrone announce that their was an open competition for the QB job and then two days later announce that Bortles won it after he threw a pick against scrubs and almost threw a pick six going back the other way 95 yards. 

Not really a ringing endorsement is it? On top of that. We've seen Fournette just ONCE this pre-season and he's already banged up foot wise which is just an on going trend of his coming over from LSU. Plus, the offensive line clearly has issues getting push up front to create running lanes. 

The defense is still questionable for me as well. I don't care about all the shiny new pieces they've added this off season. Still need to see them perform. They didn't play Brady in week one. They let Winston march right down on them twice. And then they let Newton and his offense run us into the ground and then start high fiving each other after they shut down Anderson on the 2nd drive. 

I am not impressed at all. This team has a lot of work to do still. And to think that they're somehow going to go from being an 11 - 34 team over the last three years with the same offensive line in place and the same QB in place you've lost your damn mind. 2nd place? Are you kidding me?

I've been posting on the old MB and this new MB since I was 16 years old, give or take. My memories a bit fuzzy. Any long time poster can tell you at one point I was your typical, optimistic fan. I was the Lt. Dan embracing the storm every off-season hoping to wake up the next day in Shrimp Heaven man. But that Shrimp never comes. LOL.

you realize, unless they were lying, fournette's foot injury was a stepped on toe right?  nothing to do with his ankle or anything structural

(08-31-2017, 07:15 AM)mvannostran Wrote: What on Earth makes you think Luck will he ANYWHERE close to 100% this year? He's yet to throw a football. There's people thinking he may never be the same QB again.

He hasn't thrown in games, but he's been throwing. The team has said his velocity is the best it's ever been too.

(08-31-2017, 07:56 AM)Krayz_Jville_D Wrote:
(08-31-2017, 07:24 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Yeahhhhhh and people said the same about Manning after he had his neck infused or fixed up. Anything is possible. Luck's a competitor. And father time is on his side right now. Don't sleep on the clots. That's all I am saying. 

you realize, unless they were lying, fournette's foot injury was a stepped on toe right?  nothing to do with his ankle or anything structural

The injury concern is still a carry over from his time at LSU. He's a big cat. I am just worried about his durability. ESPECIALLY behind this offensive line and ESPECIALLY with Bortles as the QB. I am just worried that they're going to put too much on this kid as a rookie and it's going to be a mistake. We didn't really address the offensive line. We had to take Fournette though. I get that. He's a generational type RB prospect according to most analysts and scouts.

(08-31-2017, 07:15 AM)mvannostran Wrote:

There are people who think he wasn't as good as advertised to being with....

but I'ma go back to sippin my tea

(This post was last modified: 08-31-2017, 09:24 AM by Caldrac.)

(08-31-2017, 09:14 AM)Kane Wrote:

Laughing

I'd take Luck in a heartbeat. 43 - 27 as a starter. 132 TD's compared to just 68 INT's. 63.5% completion percentage last year with no running game, no pass protection and no defense. Threw up 31 TD's and only 13 INT's. He's 2015 Bortles statistically EVERY YEAR on winning teams. 

Still cracked the .500 mark with an 8 - 7 record as the starter in 2016 with his body all beat to hell the last two years. Three straight years of 11 - 5 records when he came into the NFL. Is he Peyton Manning? No. Is he Tom Brady? No. Did he live up to his draft expectations and the critics? Absolutely. 

The problem with the clots is Chuck Pagano and Jim Irsay. They should have kept Bruce Arians when they had the chance as the head coach. They would have been much better off. But Luck has more than held up his end of the bargain. Even Manning had good pieces around him. Luck has honestly only had Hilton and that's IT. He had Wayne while he was on the tail end of his career. Luck has done something Bortles, Manziel, Bridgewater, Mariota, Winston, RGIII and a few other recently drafted QB's can't do. And that's carry a football team as an actual franchise Quarterback.

(This post was last modified: 08-31-2017, 09:27 AM by imtheblkranger.)

(08-31-2017, 09:14 AM)Kane Wrote:

Put me on that list.

And Caldrac, I wasn't saying Jax is going to be good. I agree with most of what you said, though I'm not nearly as concerned with Fournette as you.

That being said, 2nd in this division could be 6 wins...
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(This post was last modified: 08-31-2017, 09:59 AM by Caldrac.)

(08-31-2017, 09:24 AM)mvannostran Wrote:
(08-31-2017, 09:14 AM)Kane Wrote: There are people who think he wasn't as good as advertised to being with....

Put me on that list.

And Caldrac, I wasn't saying Jax is going to be good. I agree with most of what you said, though I'm not nearly as concerned with Fournette as you.

I hear you. Six could be enough for 2nd. But I think we'll get four or five knowing our luck. I see it playing out like this to be honest:

1. The tacks win the division with an 11 - 5 record
2. The clots finish in second place with a 9 - 7 record
3. The tinhorns scrape by with solid defense and adequate QB play but finish 7 - 9 
4. We fail as usual due to poor QB play and lineman play and end up 5 - 11

We will be lucky to get 4 wins, let's not worry about second place.

(08-31-2017, 10:07 AM)BklynJag Wrote: We will be lucky to get 4 wins, let's not worry about second place.
I'll bet and take the over on 4 wins.

What are you willing to wager?

(This post was last modified: 08-31-2017, 10:20 AM by leopold332002.)

(08-31-2017, 09:58 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(08-31-2017, 09:24 AM)mvannostran Wrote: Put me on that list.

I hear you. Six could be enough for 2nd. But I think we'll get four or five knowing our luck. I see it playing out like this to be honest:

3. The tinhorns scrape by with solid defense and adequate QB play but finish 7 - 9 

i do not understand the negativity from you and we haven't played one real game yet?
[Image: giphy.gif]

We also have, by far, the worst head coach in the division. I'd be stunned if we finished in 2nd place. If Luck can stay healthy, we'll be dead last in the division.

(This post was last modified: 08-31-2017, 10:29 AM by Caldrac.)

(08-31-2017, 10:17 AM)leopold332002 Wrote:
(08-31-2017, 09:58 AM)Caldrac Wrote: I hear you. Six could be enough for 2nd. But I think we'll get four or five knowing our luck. I see it playing out like this to be honest:

i do not understand the negativity from you and we haven't played one real game yet?

Trust me. I don't get it either. Maybe it's because I am getting old and am growing less and less optimistic and patient and am now prone to cut right through the bull [BLEEP]. 

I used to be heavily optimistic as a fan. I don't like to always be the debbie downer dude but it's just gotten to a really, really bad spot for me as a fan. Just can't tolerate it like I used to. 

Ten years is a long time to go without seeing an actual football team worth your three hours on gamedays. I just have to be honest. From what we've seen over the last few years there's just little to no reason to be excited. 

You can get hyped up on individual players like Ramsey, Ngakoue, Fournette, etc. But it's all for naught if we're still laying eggs and losing games out there. Watching this team has started to cripple my interest in anything and everything football related. At least NFL wise. 

But I still enjoy the message boards. I at least gave them a +2 on their record this year. 5 - 11 is better than the 3 - 13's and the 4 - 12 records we've seen the last few years.

(08-31-2017, 09:21 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(08-31-2017, 09:14 AM)Kane Wrote: There are people who think he wasn't as good as advertised to being with....

Laughing

I'd take Luck in a heartbeat. 43 - 27 as a starter. 132 TD's compared to just 68 INT's. 63.5% completion percentage last year with no running game, no pass protection and no defense. Threw up 31 TD's and only 13 INT's. He's 2015 Bortles statistically EVERY YEAR on winning teams. 

Still cracked the .500 mark with an 8 - 7 record as the starter in 2016 with his body all beat to hell the last two years. Three straight years of 11 - 5 records when he came into the NFL. Is he Peyton Manning? No. Is he Tom Brady? No. Did he live up to his draft expectations and the critics? Absolutely. 

The problem with the clots is Chuck Pagano and Jim Irsay. They should have kept Bruce Arians when they had the chance as the head coach. They would have been much better off. But Luck has more than held up his end of the bargain. Even Manning had good pieces around him. Luck has honestly only had Hilton and that's IT. He had Wayne while he was on the tail end of his career. Luck has done something Bortles, Manziel, Bridgewater, Mariota, Winston, RGIII and a few other recently drafted QB's can't do. And that's carry a football team as an actual franchise Quarterback.

No no... I get it... his stats are pretty good.
And surely, I'd take his last 4 seasons over what we've had...even though in 2015 he was playing pretty poorly and marred with injury.

But he was hyped up and sold as one-in-a-lifetime prospect.
And THAT I haven't seen. He's just a typical first round QB.  I think he was a high floor low ceiling prospect and has filled that out perfectly.
They still need better play (and players) around him for him to do anything other than win the AFCS.
He's not franchise changing type QB he was sold up to be pre-draft though... is all I'm sayin. I guess you can compare him to young guns still fresh and former first round busts... But I compare him to big money QBs. Ryan, Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Ben, 
Hasselbeck could get the clots to an 8-7 record man....
There's a lot of people that think this way too... so I know I'm not crazy.