Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
49ers trade for 2015 first round pick Lake Tomlinson

Detroit gets a 4th rounder for their 2015 first round pick.  Guard Lake Tomlinson, hmmmm

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

He has a great name, that's about all I know about him. Thankfully we have a resident Lions fan around here to weigh in

(08-31-2017, 02:44 PM)JNev Wrote: He has a great name, that's about all I know about him. Thankfully we have a resident Lions fan around here to weigh in

Now you also know what position he plays.

I think it's amazing how teams are willing to move on from players who can't play but other teams hold out hope trying to catch lightning in a bottle which sets teams back 5 to 7 years.

Kap - gone
Ragland - gone
Alex Smith - gone
Drew Brees - gone
Tomlinson - gone

Now don't get me wrong, sometimes certain situations forces teams to move players. Bc it's not like Brees, etc can't play.

But when you hold on to the Leftwich's, Gabbert's, and Bortles' of the world, it sets a team back for several years.

(08-31-2017, 06:02 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I think it's amazing how teams are willing to move on from players who can't play but other teams hold out hope trying to catch lightning in a bottle which sets teams back 5 to 7 years.

Kap - gone
Ragland - gone
Alex Smith - gone
Drew Brees - gone
Tomlinson - gone

Now don't get me wrong, sometimes certain situations forces teams to move players. Because it's not like Brees, etc can't play.

But when you hold on to the Leftwichs, Gabberts, and Bortleses of the world, it sets a team back for several years.

Bucky Brooks explained this in one of his Scout's Notebook articles a few months ago. It's the old "one man's trash is another man's treasure" philosophy. Sometimes it works out. In many cases the player was a misfit, which is what happened to Reggie Ragland and Colin Kaepernick. Alex Smith was simply demoted because of Kaepernick became the hot hand in San Francisco. Drew Brees was a free agent coming off major right shoulder surgery after mentoring a top five draft pick. Kapernick was the product of Jim Harbaugh's system and in the end wanted to play somewhere else. So Regland could have a good career with his new team, just like Smith and Brees did, because he was simply not wanted in Buffalo.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-31-2017, 02:44 PM)JNev Wrote: He has a great name, that's about all I know about him. Thankfully we have a resident Lions fan around here to weigh in

It turned out that the Lions received a 2019 5th Round Pick for Laken Tomlinson.

Though Laken Tomlinson has high character,  he didn't come close to living up to his draft billing as pick # 28 in 2015.  It was disappointing when the Lions passed on Texas DT Malcom Brown.  The Patriots took advantage of the opportunity shortly afterwards.  

Tomlinson was a starter as a rookie but lost his starting job in October, 2016.  Tomlinson regained his job because of injuries.  He had his moments but overall was too inconsistent both pass blocking and run blocking.  Not to mention too many penalties.  

Based on Tomlinson having no versatility beyond playing both Guard positions and him falling behind Joe Dahl,  on the depth chart for a backup position,  I'm thrilled the Lions got a 5th Round pick for him.

(08-31-2017, 06:02 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I think it's amazing how teams are willing to move on from players who can't play but other teams hold out hope trying to catch lightning in a bottle which sets teams back 5 to 7 years.

Kap - gone
Ragland - gone
Alex Smith - gone
Drew Brees - gone
Tomlinson - gone

Now don't get me wrong, sometimes certain situations forces teams to move players. Bc it's not like Brees, etc can't play.

But when you hold on to the Leftwich's, Gabbert's, and Bortles' of the world, it sets a team back for several years.

We didn't hold onto Leftwich too long, he was benched and cut after barely losing the QB battle in pre-season

Gabbert was wayy too long but the bigger crime and same with Bortles is that there is no fallback option. Rush, Kizer, Mahomes might only be pre-season studs and you can find a list of reasons not to take QB's because it's a high failure rate but you have to bid if you want to win the Jackpot

The Jags had a back-up plan (albeit Tom's back-Up plan) in Garrard who was a 4th rounder, taken in Brunell's Prime

Kap - gone
Ragland - gone
Alex Smith - gone
Drew Brees - gone
Tomlinson - gone

I think in the case of Laken Tomlinson,  it came down to a player not progressing well enough, despite a good work ethic and character.  Tomlinson is easy to root for.  But he was over drafted to begin with by former G.M. Martin Mayhew. 

With Tomlinson not even the primary backup Guard option,  not having the versatility to play Tackle and/ or Center,  and the Lions receiving a 5th Round pick offer in 2019 for Tomlinson ( which also freed up a roster spot ),  it's a trade that currently G.M. Bob Quinn had to make for all practically purposes.   This trade could also provide a chip that can be the difference in making another trade.  The Lions desperately need help at DE because of injury and suspension.