Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bowanko on the bubble? Traded to Ravens

That was a subject kicked around in post game last night.

Lageman and Boselli were saying he'd have a better shot of making the roster if he were C than at G.

They expressed concern that he can't hold up against the bigger, more physical DTs at G, but that his athleticism would serve him well at C, especially in a zone scheme.

I share their concern about Bowanko holding up against bigger guys, but given the issues on our OL, can we afford to cut a guy like him right now?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

to think... he was just in the conversation for starting LG a week ago... to think how bad our OL is................

To put it simply, I feel like it's a S&C issue with Bowanko. Bowanko needs to add a little bulk- very similar to Luke Joeckel - super athletic, a great feat, but plays like a total (insert emasculating term of choice). Joeckel always played kinda scared, like he actually couldn't engage because he was kind of scared of contact. You can't be a successful OLineman if you are going to play passively and scared. Bowanko is fortunately not as bad a LJ though. He has the arm length and height and shoulder frame you want - but he's too skinny.

(09-01-2017, 11:43 AM)TheAll22 Wrote: To put it simply, I feel like it's a S&C issue with Bowanko. Bowanko needs to add a little bulk- very similar to Luke Joeckel - super athletic, a great feat, but plays like a total (insert emasculating term of choice). Joeckel always played kinda scared, like he actually couldn't engage because he was kind of scared of contact. You can't be a successful OLineman if you are going to play passively and scared. Bowanko is fortunately not as bad a LJ though. He has the arm length and height and shoulder frame you want - but he's too skinny.

Yeah. He needs to bulk up and play more decisively when facing the bigger DTs. 

Remember he was drafted to be an athletic C in a zone blocking scheme.  Right now he's a bit of a square peg in a round hole at guard or center for this team. 

It's likely that they've tried to bulk him up a bit, but two long term injury re-habs have nixed that plan.

I mentioned this during the game last night. It appeared he was in competition with Shatley over a roster spot. The Sad fact of the matter is that Shatley plays center and guard at a higher level than Bow. Bows two Joeckel like whiffs last night might have sealed his fate. Shame because I've been a fan since the Virginia days and really thought he would pan out at one of the guard positions.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(09-01-2017, 11:37 AM)Bullseye Wrote: That was a subject kicked around in post game last night.

Lageman and Boselli were saying he'd have a better shot of making the roster if he were C than at G.

They expressed concern that he can't hold up against the bigger, more physical DTs at G, but that his athleticism would serve him well at C, especially in a zone scheme.

I share their concern about Bowanko holding up against bigger guys, but given the issues on our OL, can we afford to cut a guy like him right now?

Over the past couple of weeks, Bowanko has shown an inability to deal with physical DTs at the G position.  The guy ends up in the backfield a good portion of the time.  I'd say that makes him a bubble player, especially if there are better options that hit the wire in the next couple of days.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

The whole unit in general has looked flat and scary more times than not. I really wonder how bad Nick Mangold is right now. And why no one has bothered trying to pick him up for a one year deal.

We're so bad at the G spots IMHO I would be fine with them bringing Mangold in to play Center JUST to put Linder back at LG or RG for 2017 until we can find permanent solutions hopefully in 2018.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

At this point, I wouldn't have a problem with cutting any of our O-Linemen after Linder and Robinson. They're pretty much all bad.

Bowanko is table scraps. Lagerman lets his bias towards certain college programs color his take of players.

I feel like the huge question on the OL is Bowanko vs Shatley, and if it's my money here I'm keeping Bowanko.
'02

He is not good. I could care less if he makes the team or not.

(09-01-2017, 11:07 PM)Jags02 Wrote: I feel like the huge question on the OL is Bowanko vs Shatley, and if it's my money here I'm keeping Bowanko.

I'd have agreed with you a year ago, but Shatley has looked better than Bow this preseason. 
I think Bowanko's injuries may have done him in unfortunately.

Just been traded to the Ravens

We must be deep at the position

No word on return. I'll assume a 7th rounder.

What did we get?

(09-02-2017, 01:52 PM)JackCity Wrote: Just been traded to the Ravens

That is interesting. I know the Ravens needed a center, but Bowanko is not starter material.

I liked Bo, but could never get it going. Wonder what we got in return, and if it's the only trade we'll be making.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(09-02-2017, 02:07 PM)mvannostran Wrote: I liked Bo, but could never get it going. Wonder what we got in return, and if it's the only trade we'll be making.

Probably a late round pick. At this point we just need to cut players as quickly as possible.

(09-02-2017, 01:52 PM)JackCity Wrote: Just been traded to the Ravens

Source?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.