Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Talk about the Season Opener

Until this team shows any signs of improvement, I would expect the results of this game to resemble last year's (and the past several year's) performance. Limited offensive production...a few field goals and a garbage time TD or 2. I predict at least 3 camera shots of Todd Wash looking up at the jumbotron in disbelief.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Clearly the tinhorns' pass rush vs the Jags' shaky O-Line is the headline issue in this game.

Other factors include:
- The Jags full starting defense on the field together for the first time vs an offense led by a mid-tier QB and missing it's #2 receiver. Jags will need to force a turnover or two to give their own struggling offense a chance.

- Leonard Fournette behind a questionable O-Line. Can he be effective without consistent open lanes to run through? What does Hackett have up his sleeve to jump-start a faltering run game?

- The Bortles conundrum. Can he settle down early in the game and throw accurately without being down on the scoreboard?
I think he'll need to show this staff that he can do that consistently or he'll end the season on the bench. If he's got that deer in headlights look in the pocket (like the bucs preseason game) every week, I think Marrone will make a change by or before the bye week.

(09-03-2017, 10:49 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: I think it's a winnable game. I'm not saying the Jaguars will definitely win, but considering the situation in Houston it's going to be hard for them to prepare like they usually would, plus it could be played at a neutral location. All of that is to the Jaguars advantage. I do believe if the Jaguars don't run the ball well they'll be lucky to score much, but stopping the run has never been the Texans' greatest strength, they're only around average at it from a statistical point of view, so it's not out of the question if Fournette is actually worthy of his draft position.

All of that being said the Jaguars will need to perform better than in the preseason, because I think that while it's going to be challenging for the texans to prepare the Jaguars aren't a good enough team to take anyone for granted right now.

There is zero chance the game will not be played at NRG Stadium. It was not damaged in any way during the hurricane. Harvey has left Texas and all Texans players are back home. The team is dedicating this season to the city because of Hurricane Harvey, so if the storm's aftermath has any effect on the game, it is in their favor.

Don't worry about individual statistics after only one game. We will be on the road against the division champs with new players and coaches. That is not a situation where we need a single game to judge the team on.

(09-03-2017, 11:26 AM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:
(09-03-2017, 10:49 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: I think it's a winnable game. I'm not saying the Jaguars will definitely win, but considering the situation in Houston it's going to be hard for them to prepare like they usually would, plus it could be played at a neutral location. All of that is to the Jaguars advantage. I do believe if the Jaguars don't run the ball well they'll be lucky to score much, but stopping the run has never been the Texans' greatest strength, they're only around average at it from a statistical point of view, so it's not out of the question if Fournette is actually worthy of his draft position.

All of that being said the Jaguars will need to perform better than in the preseason, because I think that while it's going to be challenging for the texans to prepare the Jaguars aren't a good enough team to take anyone for granted right now.

There is zero chance the game will not be played at NRG Stadium. It was not damaged in any way during the hurricane. Harvey has left Texas and all Texans players are back home. The team is dedicating this season to the city because of Hurricane Harvey, so if the storm's aftermath has any effect on the game, it is in their favor.

Don't worry about individual statistics after only one game. We will be on the road against the division champs with new players and coaches. That is not a situation where we need a single game to judge the team on.
I disagree that this game doesn't deserve judgment. While I could care less that they are "division champs" in a notoriously weak division, I do believe this is an important game. #1 this is a division game. #2 This game can be an important measuring stick for our offensive line and will to run the ball more than in the past. #3 The texans have a weak secondary and are very susceptible to medium range pass plays. This could serve as a confidence booster for Bortles. THis game could very well be determined by individual statisitical performances, albeit, not ideal. In sum, this is the type of game you want to start off the season to measure your strengths and weaknesses for the remainder of the season. In my opinion, this game will speak volumes about how successful or unsuccessful the season will be moving forward.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(09-03-2017, 11:42 AM)B2hibry Wrote:
(09-03-2017, 11:26 AM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: There ...

#3 The texans have a weak secondary ... 

This is the third time I've seen someone state this about the tinhorns when discussing this match-up. 
I don't find it to be accurate. The texans had a top 5 pass defense last season and while losing Bouye stings a bit, he was only starting because of injury and their the starting CB tandem of Kevin Johnson and Jonathan Joseph is a good one.

(09-03-2017, 11:42 AM)B2hibry Wrote:
(09-03-2017, 11:26 AM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: There is zero chance the game will not be played at NRG Stadium. It was not damaged in any way during the hurricane. Harvey has left Texas and all Texans players are back home. The team is dedicating this season to the city because of Hurricane Harvey, so if the storm's aftermath has any effect on the game, it is in their favor.

I disagree that this game doesn't deserve judgment. While I could care less that they are "division champs" in a notoriously weak division, I do believe this is an important game. #1 this is a division game. #2 This game can be an important measuring stick for our offensive line and will to run the ball more than in the past. #3 The texans have a weak secondary and are very susceptible to medium range pass plays. This could serve as a confidence booster for Bortles. THis game could very well be determined by individual statisitical performances, albeit, not ideal. In sum, this is the type of game you want to start off the season to measure your strengths and weaknesses for the remainder of the season. In my opinion, this game will speak volumes about how successful or unsuccessful the season will be moving forward.

I guess you don't really understand judging a team requires having a bigger sample size than just one game. The first game is very important to us for several reasons; judging all of our active players individually is not one of them. We will know more by the end of the month, when the team has better chemistry among old and new players. I will judge players a lot in Week 1 - just not to  the point of saying this guy is great and that guy sucks.

(09-03-2017, 12:07 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:
(09-03-2017, 11:42 AM)B2hibry Wrote: I disagree that this game doesn't deserve judgment. While I could care less that they are "division champs" in a notoriously weak division, I do believe this is an important game. #1 this is a division game. #2 This game can be an important measuring stick for our offensive line and will to run the ball more than in the past. #3 The texans have a weak secondary and are very susceptible to medium range pass plays. This could serve as a confidence booster for Bortles. THis game could very well be determined by individual statisitical performances, albeit, not ideal. In sum, this is the type of game you want to start off the season to measure your strengths and weaknesses for the remainder of the season. In my opinion, this game will speak volumes about how successful or unsuccessful the season will be moving forward.

I guess you don't really understand judging a team requires having a bigger sample size than just one game. The first game is very important to us for several reasons; judging all of our active players individually is not one of them. We will know more by the end of the month, when the team has better chemistry among old and new players. I will judge players a lot in Week 1 - just not to  the point of saying this guy is great and that guy sucks.
I guess you don't understand football and that each player is judged and scrutinized the day they walk in the door. No doubt teams should improve throughout the year, but if you think this isn't important in measuring roster progress, you're naive. They have been game planning for the season opener dare I say more than a month. Crap teams brush off games, especially division ones, and say "ol well, we'll prepare for the next one". Additionally, you don't think the judging of the individual Fournette is important? How about the individual Bortles? Jack? Ramsey? Campbell? These are key pieces that will dictate success moving forward.

P.S. Bet your [BLEEP] Bortles will get judged if he tosses an Int or two!
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

I hope the Jags win this game. It's been so.long since it's happened, I can't even remember what it feels like. Houston has beaten Jax 13 of the last 15 games. That includes winning the last 6 games in a row. The only 2 games that Houston lost to Jax was during that dreadful 2013 season of theirs. But, before that, they won another 7 in a row vs Jax.

Cmon Jags, it's time to stop being the Tinhorns' "whipping boys".

The second poster in that thread sounds like he belongs over here lol

If we lose, please don't start fire this guy threads. We're not good, so just watch and see what happens.

(09-03-2017, 12:37 PM)jagherd Wrote: I hope the Jags win this game. It's been so.long since it's happened, I can't even remember what it feels like. Houston has beaten Jax 13 of the last 15 games. That includes winning the last 6 games in a row. The only 2 games that Houston lost to Jax was during that dreadful 2013 season of theirs. But, before that, they won another 7 in a row vs Jax.

C'mon Jags, it's time to stop being the Tinhorns' "whipping boys."

Saturday, December 24, 2016. How did you feel on that day when Blake Bortles finally won a game throwing over 300 yards and no interceptions and Jalen Ramsey reaching the end zone for his first career pick six? I would imagine you can remember being happy during and after that game against a division rival.

Now it is time to see a great game against the Texans with an improved defense. I am looking forward to it.

(This post was last modified: 09-03-2017, 01:10 PM by JagFan81.)

(09-03-2017, 03:38 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: It is going to be a crazy atmosphere there in Houston. We all know the unfortunate event that occurred with the recent hurricane and I feel like the Texans will be playing their hearts out for the city, and the fans will be rocking. That being said, week 1 should always end up being a close game. Team has had all offseason to gameplan. Last season they nearly beat the Packers. We will finally get to see a Marrone, Hackett, and Wash gameplan, which I am intrigued to see. I most definitely expect a run heavy offense, but against that D line combined with the Jags O line it will be very tough to run (or pass for that matter). On defense I am really hoping to see some different looks, especially on 3rd down. Is Wash basically going to run the Bradley defense or will he change it up? Would like to see creative ways to generate pressure to force an errant throw in the hands of the extremely talented Jags secondary. All they really need is some pressure to force a throw, and I feel pretty confident they'll make plays.

Vegas has the Jags as 5.5 dogs and an overall total O/U at 40. I see a 24-20 game, and I hope it has the Jags on top. Go Jags.

I agree with this. We never play well @ Houston and last year was as good as we have and of course we still managed to lose. I honestly can't think of a time I wouldn't want to play Houston more than this week. Watt has been a rallying tool for that city and Sunday they will be there for him. Missed most of last season, against this O line... I just hope Blake's insurance is up to date.

I agree also that we will go heavy on Fournette.  Going to be a big test against a strong 7. We'll see what we picked on Sunday. I do have some hope, that Packers game seemed to knock something out this team last year, they came out with such intensity then we had the awful calls, lost, and wet the bed in San Diego, season done. 
If we can just get some confidence, give ourselves something to build on.

I think D will be our decider in terms of what season we have . We need the D to take the next step and creating turnovers and scoring points. That's the mark of a great D and we just don't do it enough. I want Wash to be aggressive, make us the new Blitzburgh for all I care, but that isn't in the Gus playbook. I still get angry moments remembering Ngakoue in man coverage on TY Hilton.....

(09-03-2017, 11:26 AM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:

First off the stadium has been in use as a shelter, they may have ceased that by now, but it doesn't mean the general state of the city would allow for an NFL game to be played on Sunday. Remember, it's not just about the stadium being in shape to play, it's about all of the infrastructure needed to allow a game to be played, too.

We'll see how it goes, but parts of the city are still flooded, and may stay that way for at least several more days, plus the problems with things like burning chemicals and recovery from infrastructure damage that will take quite a while to repair.

(09-03-2017, 01:02 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:
(09-03-2017, 12:37 PM)jagherd Wrote: I hope the Jags win this game. It's been so.long since it's happened, I can't even remember what it feels like. Houston has beaten Jax 13 of the last 15 games. That includes winning the last 6 games in a row. The only 2 games that Houston lost to Jax was during that dreadful 2013 season of theirs. But, before that, they won another 7 in a row vs Jax.

C'mon Jags, it's time to stop being the Tinhorns' "whipping boys."

Saturday, December 24, 2016. How did you feel on that day when Blake Bortles finally won a game throwing over 300 yards and no interceptions and Jalen Ramsey reaching the end zone for his first career pick six? I would imagine you can remember being happy during and after that game against a division rival.

Now it is time to see a great game against the Texans with an improved defense. I am looking forward to it.

Against the Tinhorns? The past schedule I'm looking at shows Houston beat the Jags on 12/18/16 by a score of 21-20. 

I don't remember them looking very good against Houston for quite a while now. I hope that changes this week.

(09-03-2017, 03:26 PM)jagherd Wrote:
(09-03-2017, 01:02 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: Saturday, December 24, 2016. How did you feel on that day when Blake Bortles finally won a game throwing over 300 yards and no interceptions and Jalen Ramsey reaching the end zone for his first career pick six? I would imagine you can remember being happy during and after that game against a division rival.

Against the Tinhorns? The past schedule I'm looking at shows Houston beat the Jags on 12/18/16 by a score of 21-20. 

I don't remember them looking very good against Houston for quite a while now. I hope that changes this week.

That was Gus Bradley's last game with the Jaguars. Now A.J. Bouye is on the visiting team's sideline, which makes him a wild card (along with the stupid comments DeAndre Hopkins made about Jalen RAmsey). Speaking of Ramsey, I think most of us liked what we saw of him that day including an end zone pass breakup and interception.

Probably a blowout. At least 5 sacks for Texans and don't expect running room. Plus it will be an emotional game for the Texans.

(09-03-2017, 07:22 PM)BklynJag Wrote: Probably a blowout. At least 5 sacks for Texans and don't expect running room. Plus it will be an emotional game for the Texans.

You don't think Leonard Fournette can make running room for himself? There is a reason everyone projected him as a top five pick. I know the OL needs to give him some holes, but #27 is not just another RB. If Fournette can do what he was drafted for, we will dominate TOP and it won't be a blowout.

No way we win this game. Looking on to week 2 already

(09-03-2017, 11:06 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: No way we win this game. Looking on to week 2 already

With the Texans starting Savage there's still a chance for a low-scoring win. Week two I just don't see us stopping that offense. If you're looking at week 2 already, then you might as well just start looking at week 3.
'02

LOL

You guys are already chalking up an 0-2 start.

Sheesh. You've never even seen our starting defense take the field! Stop living in fear.