Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Talk about the Season Opener

(09-04-2017, 02:30 PM)Jagwired Wrote:
(09-04-2017, 02:24 PM)uthill Wrote: If this game comes down to defense then the edge has to go to the Tin horns.

If true it's only a slight edge because of Watt IMO. Outside of him, position for position I like the Jags D.

What about Jadeveon Clowney and Whitney Mercilus? I like Yannicjk Ngakoue and Abry Jones, but they are not on the same level. We do have a big advantage in the secondary.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(09-04-2017, 09:21 AM)B2hibry Wrote: I actually see Harvey as a huge advantage for the Jags. The texans offseason issues haven't been worked out and will carry over to the first game. That storm has been a huge distraction. Good storyline I'm sure the NFL wants to exploit but I don't see it boosting a team to new heights. Don't ya think the Jags organization is aware of this fodder? Incentive to really perfect your game plan and fundamentals.

I would hope the Jaguars pass some on first down early, to keep the defense from honing in on Fournette.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 09-04-2017, 02:58 PM by Jagwired.)

(09-04-2017, 02:49 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: What about Jadeveon Clowney and Whitney Mercilus? I like Yannicjk Ngakoue and Abry Jones, but they are not on the same level. We do have a big advantage in the secondary.

Meh, Yannick had more sacks last year then either. Plus an interception.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(09-04-2017, 02:52 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(09-04-2017, 09:21 AM)B2hibry Wrote: I actually see Harvey as a huge advantage for the Jags. The texans offseason issues haven't been worked out and will carry over to the first game. That storm has been a huge distraction. Good storyline I'm sure the NFL wants to exploit but I don't see it boosting a team to new heights. Don't ya think the Jags organization is aware of this fodder? Incentive to really perfect your game plan and fundamentals.

I would hope the Jaguars pass some on first down early, to keep the defense from honing in on Fournette.
Agree. Mix it up and keep their defense on their toes. Normally play action to combat a quick, penetrating defense but man the Jags play action always leads to weird turnovers.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(09-04-2017, 02:55 PM)Jagwired Wrote:
(09-04-2017, 02:49 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: What about Jadeveon Clowney and Whitney Mercilus? I like Yannicjk Ngakoue and Abry Jones, but they are not on the same level. We do have a big advantage in the secondary.

I think with Cam Robinson, we might be in a better position to block Clowney and Mercilus.

I don't know if I am prepared to put Ngakoue above those guys, but he has a chance-at least statistically-to get off to a much better start than those guys due to the Texans' T situation.

(09-04-2017, 02:49 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:
(09-04-2017, 02:30 PM)Jagwired Wrote: If true it's only a slight edge because of Watt IMO. Outside of him, position for position I like the Jags D.

What about Jadeveon Clowney and Whitney Mercilus? I like Yannicjk Ngakoue and Abry Jones, but they are not on the same level. We do have a big advantage in the secondary.
From what I've heard, Clowney has been nursing a knee. He is also easily frustrated and taken out of the game if he gets blocked. Mercilus is actually the only one I fear.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 09-04-2017, 03:49 PM by SunriseCottage.)

Unfortunately for the Jags, I think that the city of Houston will be looking for someone to take their anger out on over the storm and flooding, and the Jags are the perfect candidate. J.J. Watt has become the "hero" due to his establishment of his fund to help the flood victims, and he will derive inspiration from a thankful crowd who will cheer his every move. If Bortles gets overwhelmed early by a vicious pass rush, and he throws interceptions or fumbles in the pocket, it could be a long, frustrating day. Our best hope is that our defense steps up and creates turnovers, and/or our special teams puts us in position for some easy points.

This is an ambush waiting to happen.

Texans are going to be more hyped than anything ever.

Texans - 34
Jags - 6

(This post was last modified: 09-04-2017, 04:06 PM by JaguarsWoman.)

(09-04-2017, 02:55 PM)Jagwired Wrote:

J.J. Watt was on IR, so that means absolutely nothing.

(09-04-2017, 03:18 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(09-04-2017, 02:55 PM)Jagwired Wrote: Meh, Yannick had more sacks last year then either. Plus an interception.

I think with Cam Robinson, we might be in a better position to block Clowney and Mercilus.

I don't know if I am prepared to put Ngakoue above those guys, but he has a chance-at least statistically-to get off to a much better start than those guys due to the Texans' T situation.

I read after the draft Cam Robinson fell out of the first round because he is a penalty machine. If that is true, I am only concerned about losing 5 or 10 yards.

(This post was last modified: 09-04-2017, 04:15 PM by Bullseye.)

(09-04-2017, 03:48 PM)SunriseCottage Wrote: Unfortunately for the Jags, I think that the city of Houston will be looking for someone to take their anger out on over the storm and flooding, and the Jags are the perfect candidate. J.J. Watt has become the "hero" due to his establishment of his fund to help the flood victims, and he will derive inspiration from a thankful crowd who will cheer his every move. If Bortles gets overwhelmed early by a vicious pass rush, and he throws interceptions or fumbles in the pocket, it could be a long, frustrating day. Our best hope is that our defense steps up and creates turnovers, and/or our special teams puts us in position for some easy points.

Agreed.  Hopefully we can force an early turnover against them and take an early lead.

(09-04-2017, 03:53 PM)rocdee Wrote: This is an ambush waiting to happen.

Texans - 34
Jags - 6

I could see this happening, but I hope not.

(This post was last modified: 09-04-2017, 05:42 PM by JaguarsWoman.)

I told you so! Now you all have to believe me.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...rg-stadium

Quote:The league never suggested otherwise in the wake of Hurricane Harvey, but Jaguars owner Shad Khan previously offered to switch home dates with their AFC South rival.

(09-04-2017, 04:13 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(09-04-2017, 03:53 PM)rocdee Wrote: Thiis is an ambush waiting to happen.

Texans - 34
Jags - 6

I could see this happening, but I hope not.

I can't see that happening. We can lose, but it won't be a blowout.

(09-04-2017, 02:48 AM)haveaseat Wrote: ^ I don't think so. I mean this is Florida. If we had a Lombardi for every hurricane or tropical storm we'd be an elite dynasty. The devastation in Houston is unfortunate and terrible but in no way as tragic as Katrina. The lack of government involvement was sickening.

The Saints where terrible the year of Katrina, they got Brees the next year.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(This post was last modified: 09-04-2017, 09:55 PM by BritJag.)

Are we set at kickoff and punt returns? Is Grant the main kickoffs guy? What about punts...with Greene out of the picture? I expect Joe DeCamillis to make a difference in STs this year. We should see much improvement there which will go a long way towards securing Ws.
Success is a journey, not a destination.  Go all out Mighty Jaguars.

(09-04-2017, 09:41 PM)BritJag Wrote: Are we set at kickoff and punt returns?  Is Grant the main kickoffs guy? What about punts...with Greene out of the picture?  I expect Joe DeCamillis to make a difference in STs this year.  We should see much improvement there which will go a long way towards securing Ws.

Lee was money at KR last season.  He'll likely continue unless they trust Grant to take over. Westbrook is your likely PR, but there are several players on the roster with experience returning punts including Cole.

(09-04-2017, 02:03 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote:
(09-03-2017, 11:11 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Clearly the tinhorns' pass rush vs the Jags' shaky O-Line is the headline issue in this game.

Other factors include:
- The Jags full starting defense on the field together for the first time vs an offense led by a mid-tier QB and missing it's #2 receiver....

I think you're being very generous calling Tom Savage a mid tier QB. I'm having trouble thinking of 3 other teams that he would start on.

Yes. It's generous. I'm aware of that. But I think considering him to be such is the best way to analyze the match-up despite his inconsistencies.

Cheers mate. I am very comfortable with all four guys: Lee/Grant at KR, Westbrook/Cole at PR.
Success is a journey, not a destination.  Go all out Mighty Jaguars.

Stopping the tacks offense isn't hard at all, just have to play with some intensity like our last game with them. I expect a win against the tacks for sure, don't care what they've improved on. They drafted a receiver with their first pick, and he'll be useless two times out of the year, so....

(09-04-2017, 02:49 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:
(09-04-2017, 02:30 PM)Jagwired Wrote: If true it's only a slight edge because of Watt IMO. Outside of him, position for position I like the Jags D.

Campbell and Ngakoue both had more sacks than Clowney or Mercilus last year.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(09-04-2017, 11:37 PM)Sosa Wrote: Stopping the tacks offense isn't hard at all, just have to play with some intensity like our last game with them. I expect a win against the tacks for sure, don't care what they've improved on. They drafted a receiver with their first pick, and he'll be useless two times out of the year, so....

We need him to be useless more than two times this year.

I think the Texans are going to kill us personally.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Just wanted to note that last year was Bouye's come out year (and he was excellent,) however he was the Texans #4 CB at the start of the 2016 season. The Texans still have Jonathan Joseph, Kareem Jackson, and Kevin Johnson as the original starting 3, so I'm not sure where the weak CB situation idea comes from.