Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Gator fans

We need a new coach. Jim McElwain is a bust of a hire. I'm thinking we throw money at Chip Kelly or Les Miles to bring this program back from the dumps. I'm sitting here praying that we don't end up in deep crap like Tennessee or Texas, but it might be too late. Is Spurrier senile? If not,  He's on the payroll, maybe he can take over coaching

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

It's the very beginning of his 3rd season... He's just now finally got a QB.
The defense is still very good.

I'm not ready to [BLEEP] can the guy until we see how this season unfolds.

I am slightly worried that in 3 offseasons he hasn't been able to recruit and develop a decent OL

(This post was last modified: 09-07-2017, 03:05 PM by J-Mizzal.)

He botched the MICH game, i'm done with the guy, he can win me over if he beats Tenn, UG and FSU

Bob Stoops, Chip Kelly, and Miles would be huge upgrades
<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

(09-07-2017, 03:04 PM)J-Mizzal Wrote: He botched the MICH game, i'm done with the guy, he can win me over if he beats Tenn, UG and FSU

Upgrades how? Recruiting? Play calling? 

You're just throwing out old 'hot' names man...

I don't think Les Miles is an immediate upgrade... he had his short comings too. Never recruited a decent QB really. Had time management issues all the time in games. Hasn't really been relevant since Saban took over the West.
Chip Kelly? I suppose he could come here, run his gimmicky up tempo spread, but it require recruiting a lot of totally different players and would set Florida back.
Stoops.... just no.

How much of that Michigan loss falls directly on Mac? Most of it... but it was a non SEC opponent. Probably one of the better teams we'll see all year. He made a mistake getting funky with his QB choice... but I've said it before and in other posts... the OL is an issue. Whether it is a recruiting problem, or a scheme thing... maybe they just played poorly, it is yet to be determined really.

Mac is on his 3rd season. And he's won the East in his first 2 seasons. I'm not ready to swap him out just yet.

(09-08-2017, 09:46 AM)Kane Wrote:
(09-07-2017, 03:04 PM)J-Mizzal Wrote: He botched the MICH game, i'm done with the guy, he can win me over if he beats Tenn, UG and FSU

Upgrades how? Recruiting? Play calling? 

I don't think Les Miles is an immediate upgrade... he had his short comings too. Never recruited a decent QB really. Had time management issues all the time in games. Hasn't really been relevant since Saban took over the West.
Chip Kelly? I suppose he could come here, run his gimmicky up tempo spread, but it require recruiting a lot of totally different players and would set Florida back.
Stoops.... just no.

How much of that Michigan loss falls directly on Mac? Most of it... but it was a non SEC opponent. Probably one of the better teams we'll see all year. He made a mistake getting funky with his QB choice... but I've said it before and in other posts... the OL is an issue. Whether it is a recruiting problem, or a scheme thing... maybe they just played poorly, it is yet to be determined really.

Mac is on his 3rd season. And he's won the East in his first 2 seasons. I'm not ready to swap him out just yet.

I'm naming guys who won at big programs over a period of time, Mac hasnt dont crap but run his mouth and act like he is Nick Saban Jr.
<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

(09-08-2017, 12:53 PM)J-Mizzal Wrote:
(09-08-2017, 09:46 AM)Kane Wrote: Upgrades how? Recruiting? Play calling? 

Stoops.... just no.

I'm naming guys who won at big programs over a period of time, Mac hasnt dont crap but run his mouth and act like he is Nick Saban Jr.

I think just throwing names at a program spells disaster.
I think every coach should be given 3 full seasons before deciding if he's making progress or should be on the hot seat.

If Mac wins the East (especially now that the east is much improved) he deserves to stay.
Remember how bad UF was under Muschump?
If we fall to a mediocre 6-7 win season, Mac gets some heat for sure.... and the discussion can be had.

Jimmy Mac has only done what no other coach has done before, take his team to the SEC championship in each of his first two seasons. Finally found a decent QB for UF (Franks).... patience bruh. We wasn't going to the natty this year anyway lol

"Patience bruh" wins every debate.
Huh

What a way to win that game!
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Les Miles? Please tell me you are joking?

The way they almost messed up by not using the timeout yesterday, I thought we already had Miles 2.0
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Man.... not much better than beating them Vols... especially after last year.

Les Miles? That guy is garbage. Did you see him the final 3 years at LSU? You thought Florida had a bad offense. He was Florida's offense with less play making. Imagine that.

Chip Kelly? Never should have left college and after watching him coach the past few years doesn't deserve another shot.

The Gators should go after a guy like Bobby Petrino. Sure there is risk, but that guy can call plays, recruit, and he's a winner at a school like freaking Louisville. If not someone like that you have to go get a young up and comer like they did when they got Urbs....it was funny how many people hated that hire and then back tracked when it turned out to be amazing.

Jimmy-Mac is now claiming he, his fam, the players received death threats but never initially reported them

I don’t buy a lot of the crap this guy says nowadays. He is, for lack of a better term, Muschamp-esque

(This post was last modified: 10-24-2017, 09:45 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

They need the UCF head coach, Scott Frost who may now be targeted to go back to coach his alma mater Nebraska.

It took Frost approximately 1 year to develop a really good QB in McKenzie Milton who has a 193.6 QBR with 16 TDs and 3 Ints.  Last year that same QB had a 113 QBR with 10 TDs and 7 Ints.

The problem with McElwain is that his QBs don't get better.  We saw the same thing at FSU under the Jeff Bowden era when Chris Rix was the same QB on day 1 as he was 4 years later (anyone remember Xavier Lee?).  Actually, one could argue that Rix was at his best during his freshman year.

I haven't really seen 1 single QB make progress over their time at UF under Muschamp or McElwain

I'm a little selfish in the fact that I root for both, UF and FSU, since the sports bars are much more fun when both teams are winning.  Right now, it kind of sucks watching both offenses.

(10-24-2017, 09:03 AM)jaglyn Wrote: Jimmy-Mac is now claiming he, his fam, the players received death threats but never initially reported them

I don’t buy a lot of the crap this guy says nowadays. He is, for lack of a better term, Muschamp-esque

I believe it. My son was with the team when Driskel was there and you wouldn’t believe what people would say to him and his family. It was brutal.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(10-24-2017, 09:29 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: They need the UCF head coach, Scott Frost who may now be targeted to go back to coach his alma mater Nebraska.

It took Frost approximately 1 year to develop a really good QB in McKenzie Milton who has a 193.6 QBR with 16 TDs and 3 Ints.  Last year that same QB had a 113 QBR with 10 TDs and 7 Ints.

The problem with McElwain is that his QBs don't get better.  We saw the same thing at FSU under the Jeff Bowden era when Chris Rix was the same QB on day 1 as he was 4 years later (anyone remember Xavier Lee?).  Actually, one could argue that Rix was at his best during his freshman year.

I haven't really seen 1 single QB make progress over their time at UF under Muschamp or McElwain

I'm a little selfish in the fact that I root for both, UF and FSU, since the sports bars are much more fun when both teams are winning.  Right now, it kind of sucks watching both offenses.

Scott Frost has already said he prefers to stay at UCF, and his mentor Tony Dungy has been tweeting articles about how Nebraska missed their chance to have him.

I'm sure hoping he stays.  He's in the best recruiting ground he can be in and has gotten some pretty good commitments as of late.  If he goes to Florida he could turn them around in a year or two, just needs to get the athletes.

(10-24-2017, 04:30 PM)UCF Knight Wrote: Scott Frost has already said he prefers to stay at UCF, and his mentor Tony Dungy has been tweeting articles about how Nebraska missed their chance to have him.

I'm sure hoping he stays.  He's in the best recruiting ground he can be in and has gotten some pretty good commitments as of late.  If he goes to Florida he could turn them around in a year or two, just needs to get the athletes.

That's good.  I didn't realize Frost and Dungy were friends.

I actually googled Mike Riley and just realized Nebraska gave him a 1-year extension through 2020 back in Sept 2017.  Lol .... so perhaps they are committed to him after all.  he's currently making $2.9m whereas Frost is making $2.0m

Les Miles? And all of the FSU fans in unison say, "hell yeah!!!" lol

From a pure coaching standpoint I think Mac deserves the rest of this year to show improvement and take some big strides towards a playoff run next season.

On the other hand, if he did fabricate the death threats like some have reported, then that makes me suspicious of everything he does, and he already has a borderline shady demeanor. So if he made that stuff up, he should be fired immediately.

Les miles can recruit but his offense was abysmal and that's really more of the same for the Gators.

Bob stoops? I'll agree with whoever said just no.

Chip Kelly? Heard rumors he might land at UCLA and that's probably a better fit for him and the Gators.

Now Lane kiffin, I think is a phenomenal coach. He can recruit, he can develop talent, but as a coach he's had his own maturity/personality issues. Has he grown past them? If so he would be a strong hire.

I really like Scott Frost, but would he really make the jump to Florida if he wouldn't even make the jump to his Alma mater? Gainesville is very close so he wouldn't have to really uproot his whole life to relocate, but it sounds like he's happy at UCF and I don't blame him. He's done excellent work and that program will only continue to get better.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

(10-25-2017, 10:30 PM)Achilles Wrote: From a pure coaching standpoint I think Mac deserves the rest of this year to show improvement and take some big strides towards a playoff run next season.

On the other hand, if he did fabricate the death threats like some have reported, then that makes me suspicious of everything he does, and he already has a borderline shady demeanor. So if he made that stuff up, he should be fired immediately.

Les miles can recruit but his offense was abysmal and that's really more of the same for the Gators.

Bob stoops? I'll agree with whoever said just no.

Chip Kelly? Heard rumors he might land at UCLA and that's probably a better fit for him and the Gators.

Now Lane kiffin, I think is a phenomenal coach. He can recruit, he can develop talent, but as a coach he's had his own maturity/personality issues. Has he grown past them? If so he would be a strong hire.

I really like Scott Frost, but would he really make the jump to Florida if he wouldn't even make the jump to his Alma mater? Gainesville is very close so he wouldn't have to really uproot his whole life to relocate, but it sounds like he's happy at UCF and I don't blame him. He's done excellent work and that program will only continue to get better.

I'm with you here. Mac won the SEC east two years in a row, he deserves a little credit. But then many credit his previous two years with Muschamps leftover defense... He's an offensive guy and his offenses have been down right offensive.
I've always hate how it seemed like he was gonna cry after every win. Acting like every game was the big game kinda irked me... But I've been a staunch supporter and the options thrown out to replace him don't quite tickle my fancy...
But if he made up death threats... man... ain't no way around that. Why would anyone do that is beyond me.
I hope he's cleared of any wrong doing there...... not to save his job... but his reputation as a decent human lol

As for the list of replacement candidates?
Les Miles? Chip Kelly? LANE KIFFIN? It's like big recent coach names are all people know anymore...

Scott Frost? Now we're getting somewhere.... If we replace Mac, I hope it's a young up and coming coach... Not some cast off on his 3rd or 4th stop.
Mike Norvell and Tony Elliott are a couple names to look into, imo.