Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Extra Possible "Home" Game?

The NFL just announced that the opener between Miami and Tampa Bay is going to move.

Quote:Due to the looming Hurricane Irma, the Dolphins' home game versus the Buccaneers will not be played in Miami on Sunday, the NFL announced Tuesday.

An option is playing the game this Sunday at a neutral site or in Miami later this season.

With the Jaguars opening on the road in Houston, it might be possible (and would make sense) that the game is moved here.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

If this was a college game, canceling the byes in Week 11 would be a no-brainer. They are off the same week. The note that they would then have to play 16 straight games without a bye can make both teams hesitant to go with the simplest solution. That scenario would be like the two years when one team had a Week 1 bye and no interruption in play the rest of the year. My guess is they would rather play as scheduled at a neutral site than give up a late bye week. These teams are wild card contenders, so they need to be healthy when a lot of playoff races heat up - which means resting injured players in Week 11 would be a good idea.

Nothing in the article indicates what possible neutral sites are being considered, but Jacksonville makes sense because it is way out of the storm's path. Orlando also can host a game if Irma continues moving northwest toward the Gulf. Would UCF or wherever the Pro Bowl was played be available?

There will be no extra game at EverBank Field. The NFL decided to postpone the game until Week 11.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...or-week-11

Miami already coughed up a home game for London... they weren't losing that ched to a neutral site...

I think they bye week for "healing" is slightly overhyped.
Yes it helps gets some guys healthy to an extent.... but most teams still practice during the bye... players won't be terribly over-worked by this.

I think postponing to week 11 was a solid decision.
People will be mad... but someone would be mad no matter what solution they took was.

I'm a little surprised UF hasn't canceled/moved their game yet. Maybe they are hoping to get it done in Gainesville and then rush everyone out of town before the storm hits around Sunday?

(09-06-2017, 11:38 AM)Kane Wrote: Miami already coughed up a home game for London... they weren't losing that ched to a neutral site...

Yes it helps gets some guys healthy to an extent.... but most teams still practice during the bye... players won't be terribly over-worked by this.

People will be mad... but someone would be mad no matter what solution they took was.

I'm a little surprised UF hasn't canceled/moved their game yet. Maybe they are hoping to get it done in Gainesville and then rush everyone out of town before the storm hits around Sunday?

The healing stuff is not overhyped at all. In the current CBA, on four consecutive days, no practices are allowed so players do get less on-field work that can cause or worsen injuries. That limitation is proof all 32 teams consider it a big deal to keep everyone healthy and fresh for the playoff races.

(09-06-2017, 11:52 AM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:
(09-06-2017, 11:38 AM)Kane Wrote: Miami already coughed up a home game for London... they weren't losing that ched to a neutral site...

The healing stuff is not overhyped at all. In the current CBA, on four consecutive days, no practices are allowed so players do get less on-field work that can cause or worsen injuries. That limitation is proof all 32 teams consider it a big deal to keep everyone healthy and fresh for the playoff races.

Well aren't you argumentative this morning.

It's overhyped because you can't heal from a major injury in one week. And professional millionaire football players deal with dings and dents throughout the season. Them playing 16 games straight really isn't that much different from playing 4 and then 12 like many teams do...
Or playing 10 and then 6.... still long stretches.

Also... they still get their bye... they can "heal up" from training camp and preseason with a week 1 bye.

(09-06-2017, 11:56 AM)Kane Wrote:
(09-06-2017, 11:52 AM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: The healing stuff is not overhyped at all. In the current CBA, on four consecutive days, no practices are allowed so players do get less on-field work that can cause or worsen injuries. That limitation is proof all 32 teams consider it a big deal to keep everyone healthy and fresh for the playoff races.

Well aren't you argumentative this morning.

It's overhyped because you can't heal from a major injury in one week. And professional millionaire football players deal with dings and dents throughout the season. Them playing 16 games straight really isn't that much different from playing 4 and then 12 like many teams do...

Also... they still get their bye... they can "heal up" from training camp and preseason with a week 1 bye.

Only people who know nothing about football would dare to suggest there is no health benefit to having a bye week in the middle of the regular season. Do I need to list injuries that players can recover from in less than two weeks simply by resting at home? What about injuries that become nagging because players did not get a midseason break? Using the logic that you presented, there would be no bye weeks at all in the NFL schedule format. Think about this too: many of  the dings players get throughout the season can lead up to bigger, more severe injuries by the time playoff races heat up. Both the Buccaneers and Dolph8ins will need to be as healthy as possible in Week 11 because they are playoff contenders and in Week 12, the loss of a bye week can affect their chances of winning the next game.

(09-05-2017, 04:44 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: The NFL just announced that the opener between Miami and Tampa Bay is going to move.

Quote:Due to the looming Hurricane Irma, the Dolphins' home game versus the Buccaneers will not be played in Miami on Sunday, the NFL announced Tuesday.

An option is playing the game this Sunday at a neutral site or in Miami later this season.

With the Jaguars opening on the road in Houston, it might be possible (and would make sense) that the game is moved here.

I think that with storm prep and evacuations underway, it was the right decision to reschedule the game. They're better off playing the game at a later date. By Sunday we will already be seeing tropical storm type weather here.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(09-07-2017, 08:26 AM)FBT Wrote: I think that with storm prep and evacuations underway, it was the right decision to reschedule the game. They're better off playing the game at a later date. By Sunday we will already be seeing tropical storm type weather here.

That is obvious now with so many people complaining about gas and water running out.

You can see very clearly here I was not making up the idea it literally hurts players to not have a bye in Week 11.

"Listen, it’s a long season. Let’s be honest about it. It’s a long season, and I think the stretch after our bye week is probably one of the toughest... That bye week will give us an opportunity to kind of get some guys healthy. In this NFL, in the league, you’re going to get banged up week in, week out. For us, that bye week, it comes at an appropriate time. For us, to keep it there would be huge; but I know there are unfortunate situations and it’s out of our hands and it’s up to the NFL and the teams to decide what happens; but we could use that bye at that time."  - Jarvis Landry, Miami Dolphins wide receiver

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2017/09.../23200812/

(This post was last modified: 09-08-2017, 05:11 PM by DarloJAG84.)

(09-06-2017, 07:29 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:
(09-06-2017, 11:56 AM)Kane Wrote: Well aren't you argumentative this morning.

Only people who know nothing about football would dare to suggest there is no health benefit to having a bye week in the middle of the regular season. Do I need to list injuries that players can recover from in less than two weeks simply by resting at home? What about injuries that become nagging because players did not get a midseason break? Using the logic that you presented, there would be no bye weeks at all in the NFL schedule format. Think about this too: many of  the dings players get throughout the season can lead up to bigger, more severe injuries by the time playoff races heat up. Both the Buccaneers and Dolph8ins will need to be as healthy as possible in Week 11 because they are playoff contenders and in Week 12, the loss of a bye week can affect their chances of winning the next game.

Why do you always default to this? People can have differing opinions to you. Your opinion is not fact, it's your opinion.

Everyone is allowed one.

(09-07-2017, 07:00 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: You can see very clearly here I was not making up the idea it literally hurts players to not have a bye in Week 11.

"Listen, it’s a long season. Let’s be honest about it. It’s a long season, and I think the stretch after our bye week is probably one of the toughest... That bye week will give us an opportunity to kind of get some guys healthy. In this NFL, in the league, you’re going to get banged up week in, week out. For us, that bye week, it comes at an appropriate time. For us, to keep it there would be huge; but I know there are unfortunate situations and it’s out of our hands and it’s up to the NFL and the teams to decide what happens; but we could use that bye at that time."  - Jarvis Landry, Miami Dolphins wide receiver

Also.... those teams who have bye weeks in week 5 will have to play 12 straight games in the regular season.. so how is having a bye in week 11 any different to that? Would you say that Atlanta, Denver, New Orleans and Washington are going into the latter stages of the season in a worse off state because they have an early bye week?
[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...

(09-08-2017, 05:07 PM)DarloJAG84 Wrote:
(09-06-2017, 07:29 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: Only people who know nothing about football would dare to suggest there is no health benefit to having a bye week in the middle of the regular season. Do I need to list injuries that players can recover from in less than two weeks simply by resting at home? What about injuries that become nagging because players did not get a midseason break? Using the logic that you presented, there would be no bye weeks at all in the NFL schedule format. Think about this too: many of  the dings players get throughout the season can lead up to bigger, more severe injuries by the time playoff races heat up. Both the Buccaneers and Dolph8ins will need to be as healthy as possible in Week 11 because they are playoff contenders and in Week 12, the loss of a bye week can affect their chances of winning the next game.

Why do you always default to this? People can have differing opinions to you. Your opinion is not fact, it's your opinion.

Everyone is allowed one.

(09-07-2017, 07:00 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: You can see very clearly here I was not making up the idea it literally hurts players to not have a bye in Week 11.

Also.... those teams who have bye weeks in week 5 will have to play 12 straight games in the regular season.. so how is having a bye in week 11 any different to that? Would you say that Atlanta, Denver, New Orleans and Washington are going into the latter stages of the season in a worse off state because they have an early bye week?

I have no idea why it is so difficult for other people to comprehend the difference between 12 weeks after a bye and 16 weeks after a bye.

(09-08-2017, 06:06 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:
(09-08-2017, 05:07 PM)DarloJAG84 Wrote: Why do you always default to this? People can have differing opinions to you. Your opinion is not fact, it's your opinion.

Everyone is allowed one.

I have no idea why it is so difficult for other people to comprehend the difference between 12 weeks after a bye and 16 weeks after a bye.

That's not even close to what I was asking. Try again.

(09-08-2017, 06:08 PM)DarloJAG84 Wrote:
(09-08-2017, 06:06 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: I have no idea why it is so difficult for other people to comprehend the difference between 12 weeks after a bye and 16 weeks after a bye.

That's not even close to what I was asking. Try again.

You want to know why those other teams are better off following 12 straight games than the Buccaneers and Dolphins will be after 16 straight games? Read the article I posted.

(09-08-2017, 06:13 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:
(09-08-2017, 06:08 PM)DarloJAG84 Wrote: That's not even close to what I was asking. Try again.

You want to know why those other teams are better off following 12 straight games than the Buccaneers and Dolphins will be after 16 straight games? Read the article I posted.

No I don't. I didn't say that.

I want to know what YOU think of the teams who have to play 12 straight games after a byein week 5, if a team 'clearly' benefits from a bye in week 11 following 10 straight games. Surely by that logic, the teams who have a bye in week 5 are in more of a disadvantaged position? Especially if they're in playoff contention.

(09-08-2017, 06:18 PM)DarloJAG84 Wrote:
(09-08-2017, 06:13 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: You want to know why those other teams are better off following 12 straight games than the Buccaneers and Dolphins will be after 16 straight games? Read the article I posted.

No I don't. I didn't say that.

I want to know what YOU think of the teams who have to play 12 straight games after a bye in week 5, if a team 'clearly' benefits from a bye in week 11 following 10 straight games. Surely by that logic, the teams who have a bye in week 5 are in more of a disadvantaged position? Especially if they're in playoff contention.

I am basing it on the length of injury reports in Week 5 vs. Week 11. As the season goes on, the IR list grows seemingly for all 32 teams because every week is another game for the players to hurt themselves. It is therefore much more likely for any player to miss a Week 12 game than a Week 6 game. This is very bad for teams that are still playoff contenders in the last five weeks and both teams involved in this situation have a good chance of clinching wild card spots if they stay healthy . . . in Week 11.

(09-08-2017, 06:58 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:
(09-08-2017, 06:18 PM)DarloJAG84 Wrote: No I don't. I didn't say that.

I want to know what YOU think of the teams who have to play 12 straight games after a bye in week 5, if a team 'clearly' benefits from a bye in week 11 following 10 straight games. Surely by that logic, the teams who have a bye in week 5 are in more of a disadvantaged position? Especially if they're in playoff contention.

I am basing it on the length of injury reports in Week 5 vs. Week 11. As the season goes on, the IR list grows seemingly for all 32 teams because every week is another game for the players to hurt themselves. It is therefore much more likely for any player to miss a Week 12 game than a Week 6 game. This is very bad for teams that are still playoff contenders in the last five weeks  and both teams involved in this situation have a good chance of clinching wild card spots if they stay healthy . . . in Week 11.

Yes, but a team who are returning from a bye week in week 6 will have to play 12 straight games. You COULD argue that their players have more chance of getting hurt than those who played week 1-10 and have their bye week in week 11, right? Owing to the fact that they would have played an extra 2 consecutive games than those with a bye week in week 11.

That is what I was asking YOUR view on.. but it's cool, you don't seem to want to answer it.. not to worry.

(09-08-2017, 07:04 PM)DarloJAG84 Wrote:
(09-08-2017, 06:58 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: I am basing it on the length of injury reports in Week 5 vs. Week 11. As the season goes on, the IR list grows seemingly for all 32 teams because every week is another game for the players to hurt themselves. It is therefore much more likely for any player to miss a Week 12 game than a Week 6 game. This is very bad for teams that are still playoff contenders in the last five weeks  and both teams involved in this situation have a good chance of clinching wild card spots if they stay healthy . . . in Week 11.

Yes, but a team who are returning from a bye week in week 6 will have to play 12 straight games. You COULD argue that their players have more chance of getting hurt than those who played week 1-10 and have their bye week in week 11, right? Owing to the fact that they would have played an extra 2 consecutive games than those with a bye week in week 11.

That is what I was asking YOUR view on.. but it's cool, you don't seem to want to answer it.. not to worry.

I was trying to answer the question. We will see what happens when players start getting hurt after Week 5.