Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Is Blake Bortles the most scrutinized player in Franchise History?

I'm asking this honestly because what we're witnessing right now is the worst i ever seen from a fanbase to a player and i been a fan of this franchise since the inception. Blaine freakin Gabbert has never been treated this way and he was worst than Blake in every since category. Is the anger towards him is bigger than his lack of performance and the root of it the lack of winning and he's the sacrificial lamb of it? There's not a pro Blake column locally or nationally in sight and every throw in practice in addition to games are being analyze and diagnose like a used car. lol. I'm asking this honestly because the anger and apathy for him and this team is an all time high and if we get off to a bad start this can be 2009 all over again from an attendance standpoint.
[Image: giphy.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Yes.

(09-05-2017, 08:43 PM)leopold332002 Wrote: I'm asking this honestly because what we're witnessing right now is the worst i ever seen from a fanbase to a player and i been a fan of this franchise since the inception. Blaine freakin Gabbert has never been treated this way and he was worst than Blake in every since category. Is the anger towards him is bigger than his lack of performance and the root of it the lack of winning and he's the sacrificial lamb of it? There's not a pro Blake column locally or nationally in sight and every throw in practice in addition to games are being analyze and diagnose like a used car. lol. I'm asking this honestly because the anger and apathy for him and this team is an all time high and if we get off to a bad start this can be 2009 all over again from an attendance standpoint.

I think Leftwich was arguably given more hell and he was arguably a better player.  Don't over-analyze it.  People are mad because we suck and they want to see us get better.  I don't think anything will be as bad as 2009 attendance-wise.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Don't worry about the attendance. there will always be the opposing team's fans in attendance. That is how bad it has gotten on Sunday. I don't know if I am at a jag game or in another city.

Gabbert had a pro throwing motion. Blake has a ugly throwing motion.

(09-05-2017, 09:03 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(09-05-2017, 08:43 PM)leopold332002 Wrote: I'm asking this honestly because what we're witnessing right now is the worst i ever seen from a fanbase to a player and i been a fan of this franchise since the inception. Blaine freakin Gabbert has never been treated this way and he was worst than Blake in every since category. Is the anger towards him is bigger than his lack of performance and the root of it the lack of winning and he's the sacrificial lamb of it? There's not a pro Blake column locally or nationally in sight and every throw in practice in addition to games are being analyze and diagnose like a used car. lol. I'm asking this honestly because the anger and apathy for him and this team is an all time high and if we get off to a bad start this can be 2009 all over again from an attendance standpoint.

I think Leftwich was arguably given more hell and he was arguably a better player.  Don't over-analyze it.  People are mad because we suck and they want to see us get better.  I don't think anything will be as bad as 2009 attendance-wise.

I don't know about that because the hate for Leftwich was bad but not like this because in the case of blake he's getting it from all sides which is local media, national media, and from the fan themselves. I see plenty of articles discussing Jags already scouting 2018 college quarterbacks because there's a forgone conclusion that this season is over and we haven't played a game yet.
[Image: giphy.gif]

It stems from a few things...

Basically after the Gene Smith and Gabbert failures we were at the lowest of the low. Couldn't get worse than that.
Caldwell and Bradley were brought in and what seemed like a concrete plan was put in place for us to get better.
It seemed at the time that ANYBODY would be an upgrade over Gene/Mularkey/Gabbert.

Caldwell/Bradley/Bortles was the new triumvirate. 2015 came and although he was nowhere near perfect , Bortles looked like he was developing into good young QB..our receivers were flying. Although the record was poor, we looked like we were 100% on the rise as a franchise. Caldwell was widely praised, everyone liked Bortles. Bradley seemed out of his depth.

Then last year we saw everything for what it was. Bradley was completely out of his depth. Bortles barely looked like an NFL QB, no run game. Terrible coaching etc etc. We were back to square one. Bradley was rightly fired but Bortles and Caldwell somehow remain after being absolutely awful at their respective jobs.

This regime was meant to fix us and it fell flat on its face despite tons of top draft picks and millions spent in FA.

Now we're in 2017 and the roster STILL isn't ready to compete. Bortles STILL is bad and Caldwell is still here.

Bortles gets the most heat because he is basically the representation of this failed regime. He is an awful QB. To make it worse Tom doubled down on him this year when he had no reasons to do so.

It's tough to get excited for this year because we all know what it will look like. It's year 5 and our Oline is bad. It's year 5 and our QB is still bad. It's year 5 and we aren't anywhere near competing in an awful division. Bortles shouldn't be here. Caldwell shouldn't be here. Hell even Marrone, Wash, and Hackett probably shouldn't be here.

Everyones tired of the "same old same old" and it doesn't look to be changing anytime soon..that's where most of the anger stems from.

For me it is the prolonged losing that is creating this. Blake hasn't been great and his throwing motion/ducks can be hard to watch too often for comfort but he is not nearly as bad as Gabbert.

Fans are just tired of watching the team lose and since he hasn't been good enough to help the team win they have turned on him. It won't matter how much his mechanics/decision making improve, if the team doesn't start winning the masses will still want him run out of town.

(09-05-2017, 09:16 PM)JackCity Wrote: It stems from a few things...

Basically after the Gene Smith and Gabbert failures we were at the lowest of the low. Couldn't get worse than that.
Caldwell and Bradley were brought in and what seemed like a concrete plan was put in place for us to get better.
It seemed at the time that ANYBODY would be an upgrade over Gene/Mularkey/Gabbert.

Caldwell/Bradley/Bortles was the new triumvirate. 2015 came and although he was nowhere near perfect , Bortles looked like he was developing into good young QB..our receivers were flying. Although the record was poor, we looked like we were 100% on the rise as a franchise. Caldwell was widely praised, everyone liked Bortles. Bradley seemed out of his depth.

Then last year we saw everything for what it was. Bradley was completely out of his depth. Bortles barely looked like an NFL QB, no run game. Terrible coaching etc etc. We were back to square one. Bradley was rightly fired but Bortles and Caldwell somehow remain after being absolutely awful at their respective jobs.

This regime was meant to fix us and it fell flat on its face despite tons of top draft picks and millions spent in FA.

Now we're in 2017 and the roster STILL isn't ready to compete. Bortles STILL is bad and Caldwell is still here.

Bortles gets the most heat because he is basically the representation of this failed regime. He is an awful QB. To make it worse Tom doubled down on him this year when he had no reasons to do so.

It's tough to get excited for this year because we all know what it will look like. It's year 5 and our Oline is bad. It's year 5 and our QB is still bad. It's year 5 and we aren't anywhere near competing in an awful division. Bortles shouldn't be here. Caldwell shouldn't be here. Hell even Marrone, Wash, and Hackett probably shouldn't be here.

Everyones tired of the "same old same old" and it doesn't look to be changing anytime soon..that's where most of the anger stems from.

This. Everything.

First of all, "most scrutinized" does not have to be critical. Many people who don't scrutinize Blake Bortles at all hate him. I always liked him, but he is not my favorite Jaguars QB. All the critics say is he turns the ball over too much and has bad footwork and throwing mechanics. Scrutiny is going to skyrocket this season because we don't know if Bortles is legit as a franchise starting QB or not. We already knew Blaine Gabbert was not the guy. Byron Leftwich and David Garrard did not have to be rushed into service when they were rookies, so less scrutiny was required when they started playing games that matter compared to Bortles.

Bortles is a bipolar QB. Once you start loving him he is going to do something to make you hate him. Most of the criticism is well deserved.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Our fans are spoiled by watching the explosive offenses of both UF and FSU on Saturday.

(09-05-2017, 09:11 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: Gabbert had a pro throwing motion. Blake has a ugly throwing motion.

Gabbert could not stay on his feet when pressure mounted around him. Bortles has gotten first downs by running on broken plays.

Most scrutinized player ever?

I'll say Terry Bradshaw.
'02

The QB makes a ton of money. The QB was a first round pick. The QB gave each team last year a gift basket containing a pick 6, a fumble and a number of wobbly passes. He has this year to make up for it.

To be honest he is the 3rd QB that has under performed for us we have been conditioned to not expect them to improve. I used to count the number of time Byron didn't stumble dropping back to pass only because it was the lower number.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

Leftwich was hated on more but Bortles is close. Both of their motions were terrible. Both will be out of the league in 2 years. Bortles will join him is what I mean. Both set our team back several years.

Coulda had Big Ben and Derek Carr

Our fanbase has a bad reputation – among NFL FO people – of wanting to running players out of town at the first sign of trouble, ESPECIALLY QBs.

I promise you this: If Bortles is indeed not the guy and goes elsewhere - the next QB we draft, if he doesn't play like a potential HoFer, he will likely get it worse than Bortles. This has happened so many times with this fanbase that the cycle keeps repeating itself until we get a QB like Tom Brady (which is asking a lot, BTW).

On one hand, this can be seen as this: Our fanbase doesn't settle for average or even above average like a few teams seem to do. We tend to demand the best – and to some degree, that's perfectly OK. Why the hell should anyone think that finishing 6-10 is ok? It's not, as far as I'm concerned. Wanting the team to win more is not a crime.

But on the other hand, it can be seen as this: We expect far too much, too soon and have no patience for rebuilds because we've been through them before and think that everything should always go according to plan. Thing is, you have to have the right coach or it won't work, regardless of how great the GM is. Unfortunately, DC chose the wrong coach and it cost us 2 years we could've used to work our way up to playoff status. If he had chosen a HC with more experience, it likely would've gone much smoother than it has.

(09-05-2017, 10:05 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:
(09-05-2017, 09:11 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: Gabbert had a pro throwing motion. Blake has a ugly throwing motion.

Gabbert could not stay on his feet when pressure mounted around him. Bortles has gotten first downs by running on broken plays.

Gabbert throws spirals, bortles throws wobbly ducks

(09-05-2017, 11:54 PM)jrvegeeta Wrote: Our fanbase has a bad reputation – among NFL FO people – of wanting to running players out of town at the first sign of trouble, ESPECIALLY QBs.

I This has happened so many times with this fanbase that the cycle keeps repeating itself until we get a QB like Tom Brady (which is asking a lot, BTW).

On one hand, this can be seen as this: Our fanbase doesn't settle for average or even above average like a few teams seem to do. We tend to demand the best – and to some degree, that's perfectly OK. Why the hell should anyone think that finishing 6-10 is ok? It's not, as far as I'm concerned. Wanting the team to win more is not a crime.

But on the other hand, it can be seen as this: We expect far too much, too soon and have no patience for rebuilds because we've been through them before and think that everything should always go according to plan. Thing is, you have to have the right coach or it won't work, regardless of how great the GM is. Unfortunately, DC chose the wrong coach and it cost us 2 years we could've used to work our way up to playoff status. If he had chosen a HC with more experience, it likely would've gone much smoother than it has.

"promise you this: If Bortles is indeed not the guy and goes elsewhere - the next QB we draft, if he doesn't play like a potential HoFer, he will likely get it worse than Bortles. ". 

Not true at all. If we had even an average QB like Alex Smith this year/next year he'd be praised non stop.

(This post was last modified: 09-06-2017, 10:14 PM by Jaguarmeister.)

I'm not angry at him, I just realize what the odds are that he pans out at this point and they aren't in his favor.  I know when to take the proverbial teal colored glasses off.  I'm still rooting for him to have a rebound type season.  The best thing for all concerned is for him to play top 10 ball this year (and win some games and not be the primary reason we give games away) and become the guy we drafted him to be.  That would also allow us flexibility in the 1st round next year instead of needing to think heavily about drafting a QB or even reaching for one if we're not at the very top of the draft.  The truth is at this point we should probably grab a guy in the 1st next year anyway (assuming we're in position or can maneuver into position to get him) regardless of how well Bortles might play this year.  It's just very unfortunate how things have played out.

Quite frankly I see just as much if not more anger from those here that defend Bortles from the warranted criticism of his game to this point.  The evidence that he very likely isn't the guy is getting to be overwhelming.  There's nothing wrong with still believing in him if you do, but there's just no need to take personal offense to any criticism written about him because it's not going to stop until he goes away or plays a lot more consistent and gets some more wins under his belt.