Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Is Blake Bortles the most scrutinized player in Franchise History?

I honestly think Gabbert is the guy he has improved, he should be starting in Arizona.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 09-06-2017, 06:28 AM by BritJag.)

Personally, I feel as though basic grammar should be a requirement for any college entrant, yet alone graduate. I cringe to think my alma mater produces such products.

As an aside, Byron Letwich has a Superbowl ring, deservedly. He won games as a backup when his #1 was injured, as expected of a good reserve, the year they won the title. Jax can berate him till the St. John's River refumes, he contributed beyond its confines.

To Bortles, talk time is over. Ball in your hands. Are you going to personally help Jags lose, as you have done since drafted? Or are you going to be a factor to propel wins? Ifs and buts are for lovers, freaking get a half decent record for Jah's sake.

Leftwich...dang you spell check

(09-05-2017, 10:49 PM)Jags02 Wrote: Most scrutinized player ever?

I'll say Terry Bradshaw.

i was talking about in Jaguars history but in the historical context it's T.O.
[Image: giphy.gif]

(09-05-2017, 08:43 PM)leopold332002 Wrote: I'm asking this honestly because what we're witnessing right now is the worst i ever seen from a fanbase to a player and i been a fan of this franchise since the inception. Blaine freakin Gabbert has never been treated this way and he was worst than Blake in every since category. Is the anger towards him is bigger than his lack of performance and the root of it the lack of winning and he's the sacrificial lamb of it? There's not a pro Blake column locally or nationally in sight and every throw in practice in addition to games are being analyze and diagnose like a used car. lol. I'm asking this honestly because the anger and apathy for him and this team is an all time high and if we get off to a bad start this can be 2009 all over again from an attendance standpoint.

I have a lot of issues with the team. More so to do with Dave Caldwell and not so much on Blake Bortles. When you draft a Quarterback at No. 3 and on draft day or the day after tell the fans and media that he's a work in progress. A bit of a project player. He has a high ceiling, etc. And you tell us that you want him to sit during his rookie year and then go all in prematurely. That's my biggest problem with the front office and past coaching staff. 

When you choose to retain Henne, the man that was supposed to be your insurance policy for at least 16 games while Blake learned the NFL system and speed and worked on his mechanics. That's a problem. You didn't bring in any real veteran leadership to coach this kid up. You didn't really draft or keep the talent pool churning at the most critical position in all of professional sports. 

Bortles is getting his butt kicked by the fans because this has just been an on going nightmare since 2008. We let Gabbert slide a bit. Because the team was going through some monumental changes. We had a new owner step in. We were moving on from Gene Smith and Del Rio. It was a different feel overall. We at least felt like we had more of an excuse to be terrible because the talent wasn't really there on the roster. 

This fanbase was teased in 2015. BIG TIME. Probably the biggest tease we ever felt. We all wanted to believe. We all drank the Kool-Aid for the most part. And then to let us down in 2016 and then follow that up with some garbage performances in the last four weeks. Of course he's going to be heavily slammed by the fans. 

I have ALWAYS been routinely optimistic and up beat on our forums about this team. I really have. Last year that slowly started to change. Like I said in another thread. I don't know if it's because I am getting old and less patient nearing 30 years of age next year in April. Or if it's just the fact that it's been since my last year of high school that this team was a play-off caliber team. It's probably a combination of both. 

But this team needs something.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

QB is always scrutinized. When you say team history and then bring up the national media it stilts the conversation some. Tony Romo was skewered way way more than anything Bortles receives. Remember that botched hold that lost them a playoff game? Yeah it is only now that he is done that people are more fond of him here in Big D.

I will say as someone that is in a different city using the message boards to collate stories, it doesn't seem that bad. Overall I think the team is viewed poorly nationally.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(09-05-2017, 09:11 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: Gabbert had a pro throwing motion. 

Professional throwing himself into the fetal position motion...

It's just the current state of the league and the dumbed-down "click-bait" generation of the internet.

Any QB (especially those selected early) will be subject to mass boom or bust judgement. The judgement will be premature, unfair and often unfounded. Some of it will be correct, and much of it will be garbage. That's just how it is.

Those who choose to attempt to defend a struggling young quarterback against criticism are simply urinating into hurricane-force winds. This thread won't change anything. Nor will the OP repeatedly lashing out at anyone who says something negative about Blake.

(09-06-2017, 12:01 AM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote:
(09-05-2017, 10:05 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: Gabbert could not stay on his feet when pressure mounted around him. Bortles has gotten first downs by running on broken plays.

Gabbert throws spirals, bortles throws wobbly ducks

Jamarcus Russell and Kyle Boller throws spirals too, that doesnt mean crap they still suck

At the end of the day Bortles is better then all of them but gets treated like he is one of the worst QBs ever, Bortles puts up TDs and yards, yes he throws a lot of INTs but he TDs out weigh them, now i'm not saying Bortles is good but the OP is right he gets treated like QBs that completely suck.
<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

Gabbert definitely was the most scrutinized. The fact that Genius (not) Gene drafted him and someone said one time that he looked scared, everyone rode with it.

Neither plan went into effect for Bortles or Gabbert. Both were supposed to sit.
If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

Byron without question. And I think part of that was because we had Garrard who was basically at the same level. The Leftwich Garrard debates were epic. We don't have that now because our backup is clearly worse.

Was Aaron Rodgers the last QB project that was really allowed bench time to develop? We have a history of saying that is our plan but then doing something different like rushing them onto the field.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(09-06-2017, 12:52 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: Was Aaron Rodgers the last QB project that was really allowed bench time to develop?  We have a history of saying that is our plan but then doing something different like rushing them onto the field.

Seems the days of developmental players are over.

WE WANT IT AND WE WANT IT NOW DAMMIT!!.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(This post was last modified: 09-06-2017, 06:23 PM by leopold332002.)

(09-06-2017, 09:48 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: It's just the current state of the league and the dumbed-down "click-bait" generation of the internet.

Any QB (especially those selected early) will be subject to mass boom or bust judgement. The judgement will be premature, unfair and often unfounded.  Some of it will be correct, and much of it will be garbage.  That's just how it is.

Those who choose to attempt to defend a struggling young quarterback against criticism are simply urinating into hurricane-force winds.  This thread won't change anything. Nor will the OP repeatedly lashing out at anyone who says something negative about Blake.

So you're telling me that it's okay for internet trolls to go out their way to Bash a player and even spread lies on him but you're condemning people like me that want to defend the negativity towards him? I don't mind people criticizing his play but what I can't stand this people being jerks about it and someone like you at times turn a blind eye to it knowing that they are hijacking a particular topic.

(09-06-2017, 05:25 PM)leopold332002 Wrote:
(09-06-2017, 09:48 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: It's just the current state of the league and the dumbed-down "click-bait" generation of the internet.

Any QB (especially those selected early) will be subject to mass boom or bust judgement. The judgement will be premature, unfair and often unfounded.  Some of it will be correct, and much of it will be garbage.  That's just how it is.

Those who choose to attempt to defend a struggling young quarterback against criticism are simply urinating into hurricane-force winds.  This thread won't change anything. Nor will the OP repeatedly lashing out at anyone who says something negative about Blake.

So you're telling me that it's okay for internet trolls to go out their way to Bash a player and even spread lies on him but you're condemning people like me that want to defend the negativity towards him? I don't mind people criticizing play but why I can't stand this people being jerks about it and someone like you at times turn a blind eye to it knowing that they are hijacking a particular topic.

I don't mean to condemn you or anyone else that chooses to defend him. I'm simply saying that your efforts are futile and will continue to be futile until he helps the team win games instead of turning the ball over too often. 

I hope he does.

No, the front office has failed to resolve the QB position and Bortles is going into this season being here 1 season too long unfortunately.

Nope. The trail of tears extends back to roughly 2002. Since then, there has been random bed wetting from the usual suspects about the hot subject of the day.
What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...ur-respect

Imagine if we had even a mediocre QB, we'd actually be able to compete for the division title in the weak AFC South. But no matter how talented our WR's are, or how much the D has improved, or that we drafted Fournette - the NFL is all about the QB and that is the one area where the Jaguars have failed worse than anyone...

2018 may be our year though, with a bumper crop of QB's. You have to figure that at some point the Jags will strike gold..

(09-06-2017, 07:29 PM)navyjagfan Wrote: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...ur-respect

Imagine if we had even a mediocre QB, we'd actually be able to compete for the division title in the weak AFC South.  But no matter how talented our WR's are, or how much the D has improved, or that we drafted Fournette - the NFL is all about the QB and that is the one area where the Jaguars have failed worse than anyone...

2018 may be our year though, with a bumper crop of QB's.  You have to figure that at some point the Jags will strike gold..

How did the Jags fail in that department worst than anyone? Please explain that to me

(09-06-2017, 07:51 PM)leopold332002 Wrote:
(09-06-2017, 07:29 PM)navyjagfan Wrote: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...ur-respect

Imagine if we had even a mediocre QB, we'd actually be able to compete for the division title in the weak AFC South.  But no matter how talented our WR's are, or how much the D has improved, or that we drafted Fournette - the NFL is all about the QB and that is the one area where the Jaguars have failed worse than anyone...

2018 may be our year though, with a bumper crop of QB's.  You have to figure that at some point the Jags will strike gold..

How did the Jags fail in that department worst than anyone? Please explain that to me

LOL Exactly the Browns have had 20 different starting QBs since like 2005
<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

(09-06-2017, 07:51 PM)leopold332002 Wrote:

Pretty easy to figure out - we've drafted in the top 5 for an NFL record 6 consecutive times, starting with Justin Blackmon in 2012. Gus Bradley has the record for the worst winning percentage of any coach in the modern era.  

Keeping the same QB is not a sign of success when they lead to losing seasons one after another.