Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
#2 WR

I think it's pretty obvious that Allen Robinson is the clear cut #1 WR. But who starts opposite of him in base sets? As of now Lee is listed as #2 on the (unofficial) depth chart but is that in name only? Hurns has been the guy to man the spot in previous seasons but considering his injury idk where he stands. Cole & Westbrook have shown up as well this preseason. What's the actual pecking order look like?
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Lee easily
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Lee right now.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Lee is the indisputable #2. He's a superior athlete to Allen Hurns - with more dynamic playmaking ability, greater speed, and better hands. One could make a case for him becoming the #1 by year's end.
Hurns is the slot receiver at this point and may be out of a job next season if the young guys develop and the team wants to keep Lee and Robinson. Hurns needs to show the F.O. that last season's high drop rate won't be the norm.

If you include the slot in the pecking order it's:

Robinson
Lee
Hurns
Westbrook
Cole
Benn

I'm not really interested in arbitrary labeling to an extent. I look at them as the X, Y and Z - I think there is an expectation that Lee should be taking a bigger step but I'm less than sure that is a possibility. I don't like giving players stats they don't have or projecting too far ahead of what they have shown. Lee is now a 4th-year player entering his prime and should be one of his best years as a pro... Lee is a 40-60 Catch guy that maxes out at 5 TD's who has some exciting moments but he doesn't seem to have the reliability of guys that get a ton of targets. The biggest factor is the QB. Lee would excel in a system with a QB that can hit on short and intermediate throws with precision. Robinson and Hurns get more targets because they have the athleticism and Arm length to get more of those inaccurate passes from Blake. He's a nice piece but not a primary read on every down.

Hurns is the most well-rounded receiver in the group because he's the best route runner by a landslide. Hurns has pretty average to more above average athleticism but he is about as technically sound as they come and that has kept him on this team despite having some struggles. I think he still ends up with a majority of catches as long as he doesn't keep dropping them. It's bad enough the QB can't get the ball to him so he has to mitigate the mistakes.

I imagine that Westbrook might come in on a lot of slot reps but not so much on 4 receiver sets, so if Hurns continues dropping the ball or has injury struggles that's where you will see Westbrook.

Benn is very underrated and I love what he offers, he's just this reliable guy. Very Strong, good route runner and blocker . I want to see him get more goal line/short yardage throws

Just remember... Lee was drafted to be the #1 guy. He was drafted before AR15.
Injuries hampered him early... but as he got healthy he really turned it on last season.

I would not be surprised to see him take another step and we could see Bortles not rely on 50-50 balls to ARob as much. (Not that he'll necessarily put it on target to Lee, but I digress)

Hurns was forced into a starting role and he did well with it. But now we're seeing the talent pool of our WR corp relegate Hurns to his 'slot' role I think.
ABC, XYZ... Lee and AR are 1 and 2, and I think we could see numerous guys line up at numerous spots (Lee and Westbrook outside with AR15 in the slot sometimes)

With the serious issues we have at OL and QB... it is nice we have such a 'problem' at WR lol

(09-06-2017, 10:36 AM)TheAll22 Wrote: I'm not really interested in arbitrary labeling to an extent. I look at them as the X, Y and Z -

I think most overlook this. 

The top three play where they play because of their individual skill sets and it's important to note. 

A-Rob at the X is an obvious choice becuase he's physical at the line of scrimmage and can beat press in more ways than one.
(winning the jam, high-pointing the ball, back shoulder catches) 

Lee at Z makes perfect sense as well since he'll line up "off the line" giving him a chance to use his speed to beat press and also allowing him to go in motion on an end-around or a varied pass route. 

Hurns in the Y or slot makes sense because he's very tough making catches over the middle and he runs routes with the precision required to play inside.

This stuff is more important than ranking numbers. Just put the best guys in the spots they'll play the best.

There were 70 receivers in the NFL last year with at least 75 targets. Only 6 of the 70 had sub 50% completion percentage. Two of those six were Allen Robinson and Allen Hurns. Robinson caught 49% of his targets and the QB had a 63.8 passer rating when targeting him. Hurns caught 46% of his targets and the QB had a 68.8 passer rating when targeting him.

Marqise Lee was also in the group of 70. Lee caught 60% of his targets and the QB had a 75.5 passer rating when targeting him. 

I'm not really buying this idea that Robinson and Hurns are more reliable options than Lee.

(09-06-2017, 01:44 PM)JagAU09 Wrote: There were 70 receivers in the NFL last year with at least 75 targets. Only 6 of the 70 had sub 50% completion percentage. Two of those six were Allen Robinson and Allen Hurns. Robinson caught 49% of his targets and the QB had a 63.8 passer rating when targeting him. Hurns caught 46% of his targets and the QB had a 68.8 passer rating when targeting him.

Marqise Lee was also in the group of 70. Lee caught 60% of his targets and the QB had a 75.5 passer rating when targeting him. 

I'm not really buying this idea that Robinson and Hurns are more reliable options than Lee.

How anyone can have watched multiple games of Allen Robinson and say he's less reliable than Lee is mind-blowing...

(09-06-2017, 03:15 PM)JNev Wrote:
(09-06-2017, 01:44 PM)JagAU09 Wrote: There were 70 receivers in the NFL last year with at least 75 targets. Only 6 of the 70 had sub 50% completion percentage. Two of those six were Allen Robinson and Allen Hurns. Robinson caught 49% of his targets and the QB had a 63.8 passer rating when targeting him. Hurns caught 46% of his targets and the QB had a 68.8 passer rating when targeting him.

How anyone can have watched multiple games of Allen Robinson and say he's less reliable than Lee is mind-blowing...

He was a more reliable target in 2016 for Blake.  It's spelled out statistically for you in the post you quoted. 

But it doesn't matter.  They both excel at their individual roles and they both have to do so with inconsistent accuracy from their QB.  

If the QB play improves they will both be big contributors to the offense.

(This post was last modified: 09-06-2017, 04:25 PM by realtorpat.)

The difference is in separation, Lee gets the most out of all three.  It is easier catching passes when their aren't corners all over you.  Arob can beat the one on one but last year was doubled, mugged, and interfered with a ton.  Teams don't respect Hurns deep speed so they cover him tightly and jump underneath routes.  Lee wasn't respected so he basically faced one on one all year and did well.  This is a complementary passing attack that needs to force teams to leave either lee or Arob one on one or commit two safeties deep to open up Hurns underneath or Fournette to do damage.  If we can get the run game going we should have options in the air all year long.
Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine

I think Lee will need to be on top of his game because Westbrook has looked a real threat.
ARob, Lee and Hurns for me, but Westbrook knocking on the door.

Westbrook will be a stud