Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
House Passes Self Driving Car Legislation

(This post was last modified: 09-07-2017, 06:17 AM by The Real Marty.)

Basically, what this bill does is get the government out of the way of progress.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-...2aeac82c0a
[/url]

[url=https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2017/09/06/the-house-just-paved-the-way-for-more-self-driving-cars/?utm_term=.f32aeac82c0a]
"The legislation attempts to lay out a, well, roadmap for the research and development of self-driving cars. Known as the Self Drive Act, the bill would let companies that are building self-driving cars apply for exemptions from the state and federal regulations that govern safety and design, potentially accelerating the deployment of cars that can navigate the streets themselves."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I know this seems like a good idea, the self driving cars, but I'm not even into a Smart TV because I don't like the idea that the government, or anyone with less than good intentions can hack it. Anyone who says it's not a possibility isn't paying attention.

skynet!
Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine

Johnny Cab

[Image: 18nt12herbielovebug.transformed.jpg]

It's been done.
[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...

So smart cars will be less safe than dumb cars and this is progress? It's all about liability, so your nifty new smart car can kill you and the manufacturer won't get sued. Just a software glitch. It'll be fixed in SmartCar OS version 1.7, due out next year for a $999 upgrade fee.

Tesla just released software update so evacuees could have extended battery life on cars. Software controls the world.

(09-09-2017, 03:55 PM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: It's all about liability, so your nifty new smart car can kill you and the manufacturer won't get sued.  Just a software glitch.  It'll be fixed in SmartCar OS version 1.7, due out next year for a $999 upgrade fee.

Sounds like you want lawyers to run the world.  Don't we already have enough lawsuits?  

Over 30,000 people are killed in car accidents in the United States every year.   If smart cars can cut that figure to 1,000, you want to bog down that kind of progress with a bunch of lawsuits and regulations?   Aren't we already the most over-regulated, over-litigious society in the world? 

If we can clear the way for smart cars, get the government and the courts out of the way, we can lead the world in a huge new industry.   If we don't do this, then once again foreign countries will be beating us to the punch and we will sink further down the list of first world countries in technology.

That idiot I followed this morning who was drifting all over the road with his face bathed in the light of OLED screen sure could use one.

(09-13-2017, 06:39 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(09-09-2017, 03:55 PM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: It's all about liability, so your nifty new smart car can kill you and the manufacturer won't get sued.  Just a software glitch.  It'll be fixed in SmartCar OS version 1.7, due out next year for a $999 upgrade fee.

Sounds like you want lawyers to run the world.  Don't we already have enough lawsuits?  

Over 30,000 people are killed in car accidents in the United States every year.   If smart cars can cut that figure to 1,000, you want to bog down that kind of progress with a bunch of lawsuits and regulations?   Aren't we already the most over-regulated, over-litigious society in the world? 

If we can clear the way for smart cars, get the government and the courts out of the way, we can lead the world in a huge new industry.   If we don't do this, then once again foreign countries will be beating us to the punch and we will sink further down the list of first world countries in technology.

I do not want lawyers to run the world, I want companies to stand behind their products and take responsibility. How about an automatic $1M payout to your family if the smart car kills you. It will give companies a big incentive to fix those glitches.

(09-14-2017, 11:35 AM)Byron LeftTown Wrote:
(09-13-2017, 06:39 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Sounds like you want lawyers to run the world.  Don't we already have enough lawsuits?  

I do not want lawyers to run the world, I want companies to stand behind their products and take responsibility.  How about an automatic $1M payout to your family if the smart car kills you.  It will give companies a big incentive to fix those glitches.

At least $8M per death. A while backs (circa y2k) I calculated the cost of passenger-side airbags at $8M per life saved. That was the federal government's value on lives back then; inflation might make it even more.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

[Image: 12_iRobot.jpg]
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato