Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
This team doesn't trust Bortles

(10-02-2017, 11:09 AM)Etdavis2006 Wrote:
(10-02-2017, 11:01 AM)spacecoastjag Wrote: Yup. And despite the offense's shortcomings, Bortles put the team in position to win at the end of the game and Lee dropped the game winning ball. 

Bortles had a bad game but I find it humorous that the same people blaming "pick 6 losses" on Bortles as the turning point of games aren't blaming end of the game, game winning DROPS as the reason the Jags lost. 

If "no hands Lee" catches that perfect ball, the Jags are 3-1 and in first place right now.

People are saying that because he was like 40% passing completion on the day lol. If you make plays during th game you never get to the situation where you have to make a presure play. I agree Lee should have made that play but Blake has to play better throughout.

Bortles could play better. Yesterday he put on a clinic in terrible ball placement for most of the game.

Still having Butterfingers Lee as his first option must be maddening. Let apparently doesn't run routes the same way all the time since he seems to be the only guy that Bortles constantly throws behind, and he leads the NFL in dropped passes.

The team has problems on offense. Bortles isn't good, Lee isn't good, the offensive line frequently doesn't get push, Marcedes had his good game for the year now it's time for him to go back into witness relocation, the play calling is seriously misusing Fournette.

Plus the third option is Cole, and he's clearly not ready to continue at this point.

I get the feeling the team will have a new QB next year and probably two different receivers in base offensive sets than the guys that lined up to start yesterday.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2017, 11:32 AM by Etdavis2006.)

(10-02-2017, 11:15 AM)spacecoastjag Wrote:
(10-02-2017, 11:09 AM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: People are saying that because he was like 40% passing completion on the day lol. If you make plays during th game you never get to the situation where you have to make a presure play. I agree Lee should have made that play but Blake has to play better throughout.

I agree. Bortles had a bad game. But without A-Rob, Bortles has been very smart. He's been throwing MANY balls away. He has 7 TDs and only 3 INTs. The completion % is down because we have scrubs at WR like Lee and Cole who can barely catch. The main thing is the turnovers are way way down. 

I mean look around the league. Matt Ryan has 5 TDs and 5 INTs; he's the former MVP. The people calling for a vet at QB like Dalton (4 INTs), Rivers(4 INTs), Flacco (6 INTs), Palmer (5 INTs), Cam Newton (5 INTs), Glennon (5 INTs), Eli (4 INTs), Hoyer (4 INTs), Simien (4 INTs), Watson (4 INTs) and Kizer (8 INTs). 

Sure, the competition % was garbage but Bortles decision making is up. Only 3 INTs playing without A-Rob. 

Only 9 QBs in NFL right now with a better TD/INT ratio than 7-3.

Those stats sound good but when you realize 1 game he put up 4 tds and the rest have been horrible based on contemporary NFL passing game standards then you see the bigger picture. The reality is that he is more of that than last week. He has the ability to play well but he cannot do it consistently and that is the issue. Yesterday was horrible for him. If he completes 60 plus percent like he did in London we win that game. That’s is the reality. I’m hoping it  finally clicks for him one game this year but it looks like it will be up and down. Im expecting he plays exceptional against the squealers.

(10-02-2017, 11:15 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(10-02-2017, 11:09 AM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: People are saying that because he was like 40% passing completion on the day lol. If you make plays during th game you never get to the situation where you have to make a presure play. I agree Lee should have made that play but Blake has to play better throughout.

Bortles could play better. Yesterday he put on a clinic in terrible ball placement for most of the game.

Still having Butterfingers Lee as his first option must be maddening. Let apparently doesn't run routes the same way all the time since he seems to be the only guy that Bortles constantly throws behind, and he leads the NFL in dropped passes.

The team has problems on offense. Bortles isn't good, Lee isn't good, the offensive line frequently doesn't get push, Marcedes had his good game for the year now it's time for him to go back into witness relocation, the play calling is seriously misusing Fournette.

Plus the third option is Cole, and he's clearly not ready to continue at this point.

I get the feeling the team will have a new QB next year and probably two different receivers in base offensive sets than the guys that lined up to start yesterday.

I agree with your assessment. There will be an overhaul on this offense next year. We will add possibly two new qbs (vet and rookie), TE, 2 new wideouts and another guard.

(10-02-2017, 11:01 AM)spacecoastjag Wrote:
(10-02-2017, 10:44 AM)jagherd Wrote: ^ I always respect your opinions, but I just can't agree with this one about the NYJ game.

Yes, the defense gave up some horribly defensive run plays, TRUE. But,

1. The defense held the Jets to 17 points in regulation (I can't blame the 3 points on the defense that Bortles' goofy INT gave the Jets the ball at point-blank range. The defense holding to only a FG there was huge)

2. Defense recorded 5 sacks
3. Defense got 2 turnovers
4. Defense SCORED a TD
5. And the defense routinely stopped the Jets over, and over, and over again late in the game giving the Jags offense opportunities to try and do something.

^Really,, 

The offense (Lee, Benn, BB, playcalling) needed to step up.

Yup. And despite the offense's shortcomings, Bortles put the team in position to win at the end of the game and Lee dropped the game winning ball. 

Bortles had a bad game but I find it humorous that the same people blaming "pick 6 losses" on Bortles as the turning point of games aren't blaming end of the game, game winning DROPS as the reason the Jags lost. 

If "no hands Lee" catches that perfect ball, the Jags are 3-1 and in first place right now.

Spacecoastjag,,,, NOWHERE in my post did I say anything about "pick-6 losses". As a matter of fact, if you look where I listed the offense needing to step up,, I put LEE, BENN ahead of BB as boneheaded culprits yesterday.

I was just referring to another poster blaming the defense. 
17 points given up (plus 3 from point blank range after an INT)
5 sacks 
2 turnovers
SCORING a TD
Repeatedly stopping the Jets for most of the 3rd and all of the 4th qtrs.

It was a team loss. But, only to me, the offense needed to step up starting with LEE, BENN, BB, playcalling (having LF on the bench in 2 or 3 VERY critical 3rd and shorts was mind-boggling)

(10-02-2017, 11:33 AM)jagherd Wrote:
(10-02-2017, 11:01 AM)spacecoastjag Wrote: Yup. And despite the offense's shortcomings, Bortles put the team in position to win at the end of the game and Lee dropped the game winning ball. 

Spacecoastjag,,,, NOWHERE in my post did I say anything about "pick-6 losses". As a matter of fact, if you look where I listed the offense needing to step up,, I put LEE, BENN ahead of BB as boneheaded culprits yesterday.

I was just referring to another poster blaming the defense. 
17 points given up (plus 3 from point blank range after an INT)
5 sacks 
2 turnovers
SCORING a TD
Repeatedly stopping the Jets for most of the 3rd and all of the 4th qtrs.

It was a team loss. But, only to me, the offense needed to step up starting with LEE, BENN, BB, playcalling (having LF on the bench in 2 or 3 VERY critical 3rd and shorts was mind-boggling)

Agreed. Good teams can play bad and still win games. Jags aren't there yet. The entire team didn't play well and when the game was on the line Lee couldn't make the play.  NFL players need to make that play....you never see Amendola, Edelman, Emmanuel Sanders, etc etc dropping game winning 7-8 yard slants.

A few chronological examples of how Bortles struggled in the jets game:

- His first "throw away" of the game came when Hurns was fairly well covered in the endzone. Bortles had a check down receiver in Fournette open underneath but just stared down Hurns the entire play and chucked it out of the endzone.

- The overthrow to Lewis on the second possession (seam route) was poorly thrown, but Bortles also had O'Shaugnessy very open on the left sideline who didn't have a safety shading him like Lewis did and the DB to his side was giving him major cushion.

- Another unnecessary throwaway occurs late in the first when Bortles stares the left side of the field down and Lee is wide open right in front of him clapping and waving.

- The pass to Cole late in the 2nd quarter on an intermediate in-route was actually well timed with the receiver's break but just delivered woefully high and uncatchable.

- Shortly thereafter Blake forces one to Cole without looking at any other option. He leads him too far this time and the ball sails out of bounds. This play was part of a 14 second three and out.

- Middle of third -  Blake throws a wobbler incomplete into tight coverage that is nearly picked. FB checkdown available.
The pass lacked velocity and was well behind Hurns' route.

- Then comes the deflected sidearm to Fournette over the middle that would have been 5 feet behind the RB anyway if not tipped.

- When Ealy comes free Bortles makes a very bad decision to attempt a throw instead of eating the sack and hands the Jets the ball and easy points near the goal line.  

-  With 1st and goal in the 4th Bortles throws a very inaccurate swing pass to Ivory. Incomplete.

- 3rd and goal with less than a minute and a chance to win it, Bortles stares down Lewis and the pass is tipped at the line. Looked like the LB was also reading Bake's eyes and may have picked the pass had it not been tipped.

- OT - Another batted pass at the line with an odd delivery angle.

- Needing to convert and keep the drive alive in OT, Blake throws an ugly 3rd down wounded duck to Cole that gets there late and inside - thus allowing the defender to react and affect the incompletion.

While no one expects Bortles to be perfect and there is plenty of blame to be shared in this loss  --  this number of mistakes by a QB in one game will almost always result in a loss.

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2017, 02:04 PM by jseymour.)

(10-02-2017, 10:15 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(10-02-2017, 09:51 AM)Jay Carter 904 Wrote: Like I've said forever now. Let him throw with his natural hand.

Left.

Cause you can tell he isn't throwing naturally.

Once he's cut at the end of the season a team with a good QB may sign him and have him spend a year on the bench reworking himself to throw with his dominant hand. Would be truly humorous if that fixed his wobbly passes and scatter shot accuracy issues.

He is not fixable. He is not a natural thrower. You could put a barn 30 yards in front of him and on his best day would hit through the double doors 5% of the time. He hardly ever hits a receiver in stride. I still think he is using the wrong arm for throwing.

Trade Fowler and a 3rd for Jimmy G. Patriots need defense bad.

I would give the new guy a shot after the buy. Don't chance 17 million dollars for mediocracy
Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

We should have kept and started Brandon Allen.
'02

(10-02-2017, 01:41 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: A few chronological examples of how Bortles struggled in the jets game:

- His first "throw away" of the game came when Hurns was fairly well covered in the endzone. Bortles had a check down receiver in Fournette open underneath but just stared down Hurns the entire play and chucked it out of the endzone.

- The overthrow to Lewis on the second possession (seam route) was poorly thrown, but Bortles also had O'Shaugnessy very open on the left sideline who didn't have a safety shading him like Lewis did and the DB to his side was giving him major cushion.

- Another unnecessary throwaway occurs late in the first when Bortles stares the left side of the field down and Lee is wide open right in front of him clapping and waving.

- The pass to Cole late in the 2nd quarter on an intermediate in-route was actually well timed with the receiver's break but just delivered woefully high and uncatchable.

- Shortly thereafter Blake forces one to Cole without looking at any other option. He leads him too far this time and the ball sails out of bounds. This play was part of a 14 second three and out.

- Middle of third -  Blake throws a wobbler incomplete into tight coverage that is nearly picked. FB checkdown available.

- Then comes the deflected sidearm to Fournette over the middle that would have been 5 feet behind the RB anyway if not tipped.

- When Ealy comes free Bortles makes a very bad decision to attempt a throw instead of eating the sack and hands the Jets the ball and easy points near the goal line.  

-  With 1st and goal in the 4th Bortles throws a very inaccurate swing pass to Ivory. Incomplete.

- 3rd and goal with less than a minute and a chance to win it, Bortles stares down Lewis and the pass is tipped at the line. Looked like the LB was also reading Bake's eyes and may have picked the pass had it not been tipped.

- Needing to convert and keep the drive alive in OT, Blake throws an ugly 3rd down wounded duck to Cole that gets there late and inside - thus allowing the defender to react and affect the incompletion.

While no one expects Bortles to be perfect and there is plenty of blame to be shared in this loss  --  this number of mistakes by a QB in one game will almost always result in a loss.

Great work rewatching game tape as usual!

Sad (but true)recap though.

(10-02-2017, 01:41 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: A few chronological examples of how Bortles struggled in the jets game:

Great rundown NYC. I'm not sure what those claiming Bortles had "an average" game were watching. When he goes south, he has the worst ball placement in the league by a country mile. 

Throwing 4 yards behind your target crossing the field only 10 yards in front of you is mind blowingly inaccurate.

Maybe next week we will be talking about how good he played again. Is next week the up or down week?
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(10-01-2017, 04:52 PM)FBT Wrote:
(10-01-2017, 04:42 PM)Flagler Jagsfan Wrote: I've been under the misconception that if our defense dominates, we can attain a "winning season", even with Blake's inconsistent play. But it's painfully obvious now, Blake will stop all momentum this team can create.

Tough to be a dominating defense if you can’t stop the run. Bortles sucked, but he wasn’t the one letting NY gash the defense for more than 250 yards on the ground, and almost 500 yards total offense. 

He did nothing to offset that, but if this team wants to win with power running and stout defense, they failed miserably today.  We already know if you put it on Bortles to win, it won’t happen.

Other than the 2000 Baltimore Ravens,  the power running/  stout defense formula didn't hold up over the course of a season in many decades.  Eventually,  one or more things go wrong.   The margin of error seems razor thin.  It's a credit to Doug Marrone that he won 9 games in Buffalo in the 2014 season with one of the least desirable QB situations in the NFL.

It's clear at this point Bortles is not the solution at quarterback and it's becoming untenable to mainatain a contrary stance.

(10-02-2017, 05:28 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: Maybe next week we will be talking about how good he played again.  Is next week the up or down week?

[Image: giphy.gif]