Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Changes i would make

The team.doesn't trust bortles to throw much if anything, why play him he is great at times but he seems to very low whens hes low no happy medium.

Why not give henne or nassib a try, im sure they can hit on slats and posts just as good. Play consertive and let the running game and defense work.

Second, why not pick up V,jax, he could be our Arob replacement for the year. He's older but he can catch the ball in 50/50.

Thoughts.
Jags 4 Life

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Why do you think we never gave Chad Henne a try? Why do you think Henne is better than Blake Bortles? I know you have been a Jaguars fan long enough to remember 2014.

Yeah ive been a jags fan since 95, I don't think henne is better, but I know he can dink and dunk, bortles I feel has lost all confidence in himself. I think he needs to take some time and think and work on his mental game as the position he is in he will.never be good enough. I still feel with him we can win, but the team has to encourage him, pick him up after a bad throw, series or game. He can't do it himself hea not a leader.
Jags 4 Life

(10-03-2017, 12:36 AM)cdnjagfan14 Wrote: The team.doesn't trust bortles to throw much if anything, why play him he is great at times but he seems to very low whens hes low no happy medium.

Why not give henne or nassib a try, im sure they can hit on slats and posts just as good. Play consertive and let the running game and defense work.

Second, why not pick up V,jax, he could be our Arob replacement for the year. He's older but he can catch the ball in 50/50.

Thoughts.

The team will certainly be cautious with how much they turn Bortles loose on certain opponents.

They won't turn to the next QB in line until Bortles totally costs them the game in consecutive weeks. 

"Second"  If this front office starts signing 34 year old receivers I'll be the first one handing out torches and pitchforks at EverBank. That would be incredibly stupid.  Westbrook is coming back in a few weeks and most of the receiving issues are with the QB and not the receivers. (Yes I know Lee and Cole have ridiculous drop percentages at the moment, but it still is a smaller factor than the inaccuracy from the QB) 

What they need to do is figure out smarter ways (situations) to use Fournette without increasing his touches, involve Koyack and O'Shaughnessy more in the short passing game, and take a really long and hard look at ways to help the run defense.

They need to be much more deliberate about when and where they make these RB substitutions. 

I also think they should show pass (3WR) more often to keep the box cleaner. Especially when Westbrook is back. You can run successfully out of an "11" personnel grouping successfully if you can also complete a few passes from it.

I agree, I am a Bortles supporter, but with injuries and wrs drops, why not bring in a proven vet. for min. , run out of the I, and 3 wr sets, I don't get this take out our best runner in goaline situations save 4nett? Why not just give him a breather when we at midfield.

Changes need to be made, we had a very favorable schedule, we need to learn how to win.

Good teams find ways to win even on off days.
Jags 4 Life

At 2-2, with two blowout wins, one blowout loss and one overtime loss, I'm not sure I'd change much. I'd keep trying to make things work better. Refine the play calling a little, maybe.

Before the season, if we'd known we would have the results we've had so far, I think most of us would have been pretty happy.

(10-03-2017, 12:36 AM)cdnjagfan14 Wrote: The team.doesn't trust bortles to throw much if anything, why play him he is great at times but he seems to very low whens hes low no happy medium.

Thoughts.
You think things are bad now with Bortles?  Put Henne in there. He'll have you longing for Blake within a drive or two.  Anyone suggesting otherwise needs to have their eyes checked.

Signing an old receiver with knee issues for the sake of doing something is pointless.  As frustrating as the drops are, the best approach would be to wait on Westbrook to get back in a few weeks, and hope that his impressive preseason carries over.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(10-03-2017, 07:51 AM)FBT Wrote:

Thoughts.
You think things are bad now with Bortles?  Put Henne in there. He'll have you longing for Blake within a drive or two.  Anyone suggesting otherwise needs to have their eyes checked.

Signing an old receiver with knee issues for the sake of doing something is pointless.  As frustrating as the drops are, the best approach would be to wait on Westbrook to get back in a few weeks, and hope that his impressive preseason carries over.

Exactly.

One has to wonder why we insist on keeping Henne on the roster year after year. Even though "he knows the playbook", I think we need a fresh look at backup QB on this team. Henne has run his course.

(10-03-2017, 08:14 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(10-03-2017, 07:51 AM)FBT Wrote: You think things are bad now with Bortles?  Put Henne in there. He'll have you longing for Blake within a drive or two.  Anyone suggesting otherwise needs to have their eyes checked.

Exactly.

One has to wonder why we insist on keeping Henne on the roster year after year. Even though "he knows the playbook", I think we need a fresh look at backup QB on this team. Henne has run his course.
You can rest assure that next year, there will be 2 new QBs on this team.

(10-03-2017, 08:14 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(10-03-2017, 07:51 AM)FBT Wrote: You think things are bad now with Bortles?  Put Henne in there. He'll have you longing for Blake within a drive or two.  Anyone suggesting otherwise needs to have their eyes checked.

Exactly.

I think the issue with Henne still being around this year is that with Couglhin coming in, there were a lot of changes needed on the roster, and Henne was seen as serviceable (being generous).  Competition for Bortles SHOULD have been brought in, but I think the talent pool to pick from was a little weak to begin with.  Odds are, we'll have a completely different group of QBs on the roster when OTAs kick off next year.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

(10-03-2017, 09:37 AM)FBT Wrote:
(10-03-2017, 08:14 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Exactly.

I think the issue with Henne still being around this year is that with Couglhin coming in, there were a lot of changes needed on the roster, and Henne was seen as serviceable (being generous).  Competition for Bortles SHOULD have been brought in, but I think the talent pool to pick from was a little weak to begin with.  Odds are, we'll have a completely different group of QBs on the roster when OTAs kick off next year.

Agreed.  But still think we dropped the ball with Watson. But time will tell.
Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

(10-03-2017, 08:32 AM)Frailbones Wrote: You can rest assure that next year, there will be 2 new QBs on this team.

No I can't. That assumption would be stupid because we have not seen Ryan Nassib yet and Blake Bortles is locked up for a fifth season.

(10-03-2017, 10:05 AM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:
(10-03-2017, 08:32 AM)Frailbones Wrote: You can rest assure that next year, there will be 2 new QBs on this team.

No I can't. That assumption would be stupid because we have not seen Ryan Nassib yet and Blake Bortles is locked up for a fifth season.
How many times do people have to spell it out for you?

Bortles is not "locked up" for a 5th season. They picked up his option which means they can sign him in 2018 for a boat load of money OR cut him and nothing happens. Guess which one they are more likely to do?

And you really think Nassib will be on this team next year? QB is clearly the Jags weakest unit and if you think any QB from this team is coming back next year, I have a land full of gum drops and rainbows to sell you.

(10-03-2017, 09:53 AM)Teal Time Radio Wrote:
(10-03-2017, 09:37 AM)FBT Wrote: I think the issue with Henne still being around this year is that with Couglhin coming in, there were a lot of changes needed on the roster, and Henne was seen as serviceable (being generous).  Competition for Bortles SHOULD have been brought in, but I think the talent pool to pick from was a little weak to begin with.  Odds are, we'll have a completely different group of QBs on the roster when OTAs kick off next year.

Agreed.  But still think we dropped the ball with Watson. But time will tell.

How did we drop the ball with Deshaun Watson? He was a first round pick and we needed Leonard Fournette.

FBT, the way I see it is Chad Henne brings continuity until Tom Coughlin gets his guy.

(10-03-2017, 10:08 AM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:
(10-03-2017, 09:53 AM)Teal Time Radio Wrote: Agreed.  But still think we dropped the ball with Watson. But time will tell.

How did we drop the ball with Deshaun Watson? He was a first round pick and we needed Leonard Fournette.

FBT, the way I see it is Chad Henne brings continuity until Tom Coughlin gets his guy.
Watson at 4. Robinson in the 2nd round and Hunt in the 3rd round.

That's why we potentially dropped the ball.

(This post was last modified: 10-03-2017, 10:22 AM by JaguarsWoman.)

(10-03-2017, 10:10 AM)Frailbones Wrote:
(10-03-2017, 10:08 AM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: How did we drop the ball with Deshaun Watson? He was a first round pick and we needed Leonard Fournette.

Watson at 4. Robinson in the 2nd round and Hunt in the 3rd round.

That's why we potentially dropped the ball.

Every draft analyst thought Leonard Fournette was going to be a top five pick and most if not all slotted him at #4. Nobody said anything similar to that about Deshaun Watson.

The jury is still out on Watson. Lets not crown him yet. Let's see if he can continue his success as more game tape becomes available.

(10-03-2017, 10:08 AM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:
(10-03-2017, 09:53 AM)Teal Time Radio Wrote: Agreed.  But still think we dropped the ball with Watson. But time will tell.

As long as Henne stays on the sideline it brings continuity.  The minute he has to go out and play, that gets blown up.

BTW, you keep saying we've got Bortles "locked up" for a 5th year, and that's not an accurate statement.  We picked up the option for the fifth year.  Barring injury, the team is not committed to keeping him next year.  They can release him and they're not on the hook for anything.  The only way they are is if he can't pass a physical in March.

We need a sure handed 3rd down reciver.we.can trust.

Can dede be that I hope so and more.
Jags 4 Life

(10-03-2017, 01:28 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:

Thoughts.

The team will certainly be cautious with how much they turn Bortles loose on certain opponents.

They won't turn to the next QB in line until Bortles totally costs them the game in consecutive weeks. 

"Second"  If this front office starts signing 34 year old receivers I'll be the first one handing out torches and pitchforks at EverBank. That would be incredibly stupid.  Westbrook is coming back in a few weeks and most of the receiving issues are with the QB and not the receivers. (Yes I know Lee and Cole have ridiculous drop percentages at the moment, but it still is a smaller factor than the inaccuracy from the QB) 

What they need to do is figure out smarter ways (situations) to use Fournette without increasing his touches, involve Koyack and O'Shaughnessy more in the short passing game, and take a really long and hard look at ways to help the run defense.

They need to be much more deliberate about when and where they make these RB substitutions. 

I also think they should show pass (3WR) more often to keep the box cleaner. Especially when Westbrook is back. You can run successfully out of an "11" personnel grouping successfully if you can also complete a few passes from it.

This has been my biggest gripe so far with the team. Bortles needs someone other than the RB where he can safely check the ball down to and occasionally run a decent seam route and get separation. Marcedes isn't that person. Outside of his fluke game against Baltimore he has struggled to gain separation from the opposition most weeks. Getting Koyack and O'Shaughnessy involved more will only help our passing offense. I don't understand why the coaching staff seems to be reluctant to do this. If they lack the confidence in these two players then they need to explore the Free Agent wire. Gary Barnidge is still available. Assuming he's healthy, I have no doubt he could come in as a vet and make an immediate impact.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."