Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Used/New Car Dealership(s)

Keeping it short and simple. Looking to get a new ride sometime later on this year or early next year if possible. Haven't had to buy a new car since 2007 when I was a senior in high school. Any particular places to hit up some of you fine folks like around here locally in JAX?
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I like Duval Honda.
Huh

(10-03-2017, 08:45 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Keeping it short and simple. Looking to get a new ride sometime later on this year or early next year if possible. Haven't had to buy a new car since 2007 when I was a senior in high school. Any particular places to hit up some of you fine folks like around here locally in JAX?

If you are looking at an economy car like a Civic or Corolla, buy it new. If you are not going to pay the whole thing in cash, get a financing quote from your bank or credit union, and negotiate only on the final price, not on the payments. Test drive several different models. Make a lowball offer and prepare to walk. You'll never get the best price until after you walk out of the dealership.

Never ever lease a car unless you own your own business and the business is paying for it.

For a sports or luxury car, used is a better deal. Check the ads and cars.com frequently, and wait for a really good deal. In the meantime you'll get a good idea of the range of market prices.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(This post was last modified: 10-03-2017, 12:41 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

INTERNET --- Check CARMAX, Cars.com, etc.

I bought 2 cars in great condition for my kids a few years ago...

2013 Hyundai Veloster (18,000 miles) on cars.com from a Mercedes dealership in Marin County San Francisco
2013 Audi A4 (11,000 miles) on Cars.com from an Audi dealership in Sarasota FL

Don't limit yourself to a local dealership.  

... my strategy is to buy a vehicle 2 years old with low miles (e.g. 25,000 miles or less).   that way the big depreciation hit has lowered the car significantly in value but the warranty still exists (provided that it has a clean carfax)

fyi .... I'm driving a 2005 Jeep Wrangler with 167,000 miles and my wife drives a 2005 escalade with 207,000 miles .... don't ask ... lol

I haven't bought new for the past 3 or 4 cars that we have bought. I always try to get a car that is around a year old or less with around 10-15,000 miles on it. Takes a pretty good chunk off the top of the car and the car looks and feels like new. Let it be known, there's a good chance your car was used by a rental car company. (Honda does not sell their car to rental car companies)

(10-03-2017, 08:45 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Keeping it short and simple. Looking to get a new ride sometime later on this year or early next year if possible. Haven't had to buy a new car since 2007 when I was a senior in high school. Any particular places to hit up some of you fine folks like around here locally in JAX?

My advice is to stash away some cash, as much as possible for a down payment.  It really depends on your needs/wants regarding a vehicle.  What kind of vehicle are you looking to purchase?

I personally tend to stay with the bigger dealerships.  By all means STAY AWAY from the smaller dealerships, especially the "buy here, pay here" and "no money down" types of places.

My last truck that I bought is a 2015 Ford F-150.  I bought it last year as the new 2017 models were coming out and they were trying to get rid of the final 2015 models and many of the 2016 models.  Now a big difference with my purchase is the fact that I paid cash for it (minus my trade-in which was a 2003 Dodge Ram 4x4 with 125,000 miles).  Keep in mind, they aren't going to give you much for any kind of trade-in, especially if it's older than say 5 model years.

If you are a member of a credit union, apply in advance for a "pre-approved loan" and get the best rate possible.  This pretty much gives you "cash in hand" along with whatever you've saved for a down payment.  Now keep in mind, the dealer might have some kind of incentive for financing through them that may include a better rate along with more money off the price of the vehicle.

Some DO's and DON'Ts...

NEVER get any "extras" such as "paint protection" or "extra warranty", especially if buying new or late model.  I had one dealer trying to sell me on "free nitrogen" for my tires "for the life of the vehicle".  Nitrogen is no better than just regular air for your tires, especially in Florida.

NEVER fill out a credit application unless they have a financing deal that is better than what you get with your bank/credit union.

ALWAYS reject their first offer and be willing to get up and leave.  They WILL call you back within a day or two.

ALWAYS get any "promises" in writing on the contract.

ALWAYS dispute the "dealer prep fees" on the final contract.  Make them explain to you what that means.  Again, refuse to pay it and tell them if they don't take it off you are leaving.  The thing is, this fee is a legitimate charge, but it's an "arguing point" that will get them down from their offering price.

If they ask you "what kind of payment you want", tell them that it doesn't matter because you have financing already arranged.

As far as dealerships... I bought several vehicles in the past from Mike Shad Ford in Orange Park.  They have since switched to being "Autonation".  My experience since then is that their salespeople were pretty sleazy and tried the "add on" stuff with me.  When I challenged them they then went out and "marked down" my trade-in citing every little ding and scratch.  I would not recommend them at all.

I bought my truck from Duval Ford on the West side, and it was a pleasant experience overall.  Prior to that we bought a Nissan at Nissan of Orange Park, and it was also a pleasant experience.  I've also had good deals with Kieth Pearson Toyota with no complaints.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

My advice is, get out of making car payments as soon as possible, and never go back. Making monthly car payments or carrying a credit card balance is the road to ruin. Getting out of debt is the golden ticket to prosperity.

(10-03-2017, 10:01 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: NEVER get any "extras" such as "paint protection" or "extra warranty", especially if buying new or late model.  I had one dealer trying to sell me on "free nitrogen" for my tires "for the life of the vehicle".  Nitrogen is no better than just regular air for your tires, especially in Florida.

If I had free nitrogen for life I'd be like Walt Whitman (Breaking Bad) attempting to combine 2 parts nitrogen with 1 part oxygen and pretty much have free whip-its for life.

Is there a way to know whether a car has been flooded? Is this disclosed on the Carfax?
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

(10-04-2017, 04:50 PM)PF* Wrote: Is there a way to know whether a car has been flooded? Is this disclosed on the Carfax?

Carfax only has stuff that’s reported.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(10-04-2017, 02:59 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: My advice is, get out of making car payments as soon as possible, and never go back.  Making monthly car payments or carrying a credit card balance is the road to ruin.  Getting out of debt is the golden ticket to prosperity.

[Image: captain-obvious-1.jpg]

Are CarMax and Cars.com reliable options? I've never considered using them, preferring private sales instead.

Appreciate all the tips and advice. I have been hunting around on Carmax online here and there. I am really looking for a mid size type of vehicle. Something that can fit up to maybe six to eight people. But I don't want the soccer van vehicle. Thinking family ride at this point nearing thirty and aiming for a kid or two soon.

I drive a 2007 Kia Spectra. I can't complain. I am barely over 110,000 miles on it. But it feels like it's time to upgrade. Right now though I am waiting on my wife to finish up school in November to see if she can hopefully get a good job here and start helping out with her car payment. We had to trade her old 2001 Honda Passport in last year. Got a good deal on a 2013 Toyota Corrola.

Deep down I would want a Ford Raptor or F-150. Or a Toyota Tundra or Tacoma. I was a fan of the GMC Canyon growing up as well. Toyota has this really cool FJ Cruiser that I keep circling back on when I think family mid size but not soccer van style. More modern looking. We'll see. Patience is key here I am sure. I always look at these things as long term investments. I don't want to be in and out of a car every two to four years. I prefer to ride something into the dirt.

I actually plan on keeping the Kia I have. Too much invested into it to trade away.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(10-04-2017, 07:53 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Appreciate all the tips and advice. I have been hunting around on Carmax online here and there. I am really looking for a mid size type of vehicle. Something that can fit up to maybe six to eight people. But I don't want the soccer van vehicle. Thinking family ride at this point nearing thirty and aiming for a kid or two soon.

I drive a 2007 Kia Spectra. I can't complain. I am barely over 110,000 miles on it. But it feels like it's time to upgrade. Right now though I am waiting on my wife to finish up school in November to see if she can hopefully get a good job here and start helping out with her car payment. We had to trade her old 2001 Honda Passport in last year. Got a good deal on a 2013 Toyota Corrola.

Deep down I would want a Ford Raptor or F-150. Or a Toyota Tundra or Tacoma. I was a fan of the GMC Canyon growing up as well. Toyota has this really cool FJ Cruiser that I keep circling back on when I think family mid size but not soccer van style. More modern looking. We'll see. Patience is key here I am sure. I always look at these things as long term investments. I don't want to be in and out of a car every two to four years. I prefer to ride something into the dirt.

I actually plan on keeping the Kia I have. Too much invested into it to trade away.

Regarding the part in bold, I was a bit older than you are right now when I finally learned that lesson.  Eventually after saving money over the years I am able to be at a point in my life where I can purchase a vehicle and not have to finance it.  I owned my last truck for 12 years and the truck before that for right around 10 years.  Our "family" vehicle right now is a 2013 Nissan Pathfinder which was the last vehicle that I financed.  It's been paid off for nearly two years.  Prior to that we had a Jeep Grand Cherokee for pretty close to 10 years.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I have a 17 year old Mazda Tribute(Ford Escape basically) here in New England and keep an 11 year old Tribute in FLorida. I will keep both until the bitter end as neither one owes me a thing at this point.

I used a car buying service last time I bought a car.

I actually really liked it. They got me at least $2000 more for my trade-in than I was expecting.

(10-04-2017, 04:50 PM)PF* Wrote: Is there a way to know whether a car has been flooded? Is this disclosed on the Carfax?

That's a really great point.  There are probably tens of thousands of flood damaged cars on the market today, and the reputation of used car dealers is not good.  

Personally, I would take the car to a mechanic I could trust, but otherwise-

https://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/how-t...d-car.html

(10-05-2017, 06:46 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

That's a really great point.  There are probably tens of thousands of flood damaged cars on the market today, and the reputation of used car dealers is not good.  

Personally, I would take the car to a mechanic I could trust, but otherwise-

https://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/how-t...d-car.html

CarMax claims in their ads that none of their cars have ever suffered any flood damage but this is something that concerns me about buying a car sight unseen from someone like CarMax.

I would never buy a car, especially now with the recent flooding, from a side of the road type used car dealer.

My family and I have always had luck buying certified pre-owned cars from Atlantic Infiniti. Also, these are good tips above on how to "play the game" so to speak. You have to continue to walk out and show them that you really don't care whether or not you walk out of there with a car. Also, never believe the salesperson when he says "I have permission from my manager to lower the offer to $XXX today but it's only good today" crap.

(10-04-2017, 07:53 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Appreciate all the tips and advice. I have been hunting around on Carmax online here and there. I am really looking for a mid size type of vehicle. Something that can fit up to maybe six to eight people. But I don't want the soccer van vehicle. Thinking family ride at this point nearing thirty and aiming for a kid or two soon.

Get what you want -- you'll most likely be dead in 50-60 years so what's it really matter.  

If you do end up getting a bigger vehicle, the Tahoe's seem to be popular for toting kids around and still looking somewhat sporty

Go for it !!!