Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Used/New Car Dealership(s)

(10-03-2017, 08:45 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Keeping it short and simple. Looking to get a new ride sometime later on this year or early next year if possible. Haven't had to buy a new car since 2007 when I was a senior in high school. Any particular places to hit up some of you fine folks like around here locally in JAX?

My advice is to stash away some cash, as much as possible for a down payment.  It really depends on your needs/wants regarding a vehicle.  What kind of vehicle are you looking to purchase?

I personally tend to stay with the bigger dealerships.  By all means STAY AWAY from the smaller dealerships, especially the "buy here, pay here" and "no money down" types of places.

My last truck that I bought is a 2015 Ford F-150.  I bought it last year as the new 2017 models were coming out and they were trying to get rid of the final 2015 models and many of the 2016 models.  Now a big difference with my purchase is the fact that I paid cash for it (minus my trade-in which was a 2003 Dodge Ram 4x4 with 125,000 miles).  Keep in mind, they aren't going to give you much for any kind of trade-in, especially if it's older than say 5 model years.

If you are a member of a credit union, apply in advance for a "pre-approved loan" and get the best rate possible.  This pretty much gives you "cash in hand" along with whatever you've saved for a down payment.  Now keep in mind, the dealer might have some kind of incentive for financing through them that may include a better rate along with more money off the price of the vehicle.

Some DO's and DON'Ts...

NEVER get any "extras" such as "paint protection" or "extra warranty", especially if buying new or late model.  I had one dealer trying to sell me on "free nitrogen" for my tires "for the life of the vehicle".  Nitrogen is no better than just regular air for your tires, especially in Florida.

NEVER fill out a credit application unless they have a financing deal that is better than what you get with your bank/credit union.

ALWAYS reject their first offer and be willing to get up and leave.  They WILL call you back within a day or two.

ALWAYS get any "promises" in writing on the contract.

ALWAYS dispute the "dealer prep fees" on the final contract.  Make them explain to you what that means.  Again, refuse to pay it and tell them if they don't take it off you are leaving.  The thing is, this fee is a legitimate charge, but it's an "arguing point" that will get them down from their offering price.

If they ask you "what kind of payment you want", tell them that it doesn't matter because you have financing already arranged.

As far as dealerships... I bought several vehicles in the past from Mike Shad Ford in Orange Park.  They have since switched to being "Autonation".  My experience since then is that their salespeople were pretty sleazy and tried the "add on" stuff with me.  When I challenged them they then went out and "marked down" my trade-in citing every little ding and scratch.  I would not recommend them at all.

I bought my truck from Duval Ford on the West side, and it was a pleasant experience overall.  Prior to that we bought a Nissan at Nissan of Orange Park, and it was also a pleasant experience.  I've also had good deals with Kieth Pearson Toyota with no complaints.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Messages In This Thread
Used/New Car Dealership(s) - by Caldrac - 10-03-2017, 08:45 AM
RE: Used/New Car Dealership(s) - by Monty - 10-03-2017, 11:26 AM
RE: Used/New Car Dealership(s) - by MalabarJag - 10-03-2017, 11:42 AM
RE: Used/New Car Dealership(s) - by HURRICANE!!! - 10-03-2017, 12:38 PM
RE: Used/New Car Dealership(s) - by UCF Knight - 10-03-2017, 01:23 PM
RE: Used/New Car Dealership(s) - by jagibelieve - 10-03-2017, 10:01 PM
RE: Used/New Car Dealership(s) - by HURRICANE!!! - 10-04-2017, 03:11 PM
RE: Used/New Car Dealership(s) - by homebiscuit - 10-04-2017, 06:43 PM
RE: Used/New Car Dealership(s) - by PF* - 10-04-2017, 04:50 PM
RE: Used/New Car Dealership(s) - by Bchbunnie4 - 10-04-2017, 05:42 PM
RE: Used/New Car Dealership(s) - by PF* - 10-04-2017, 06:53 PM