Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags 8th in O-Line Rankings: Pass Blocking Efficiency PFF

I question a lot of PFF grades but I feel this is fair.  Only if we had a real QB

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pr...efficiency

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

We pass the eye test if PFF is nnly grading them on sacks, hits, and pressures. I wondered if batted balls are 100% Blake's fault or the OL is partly responsible.

this just makes blake's struggles all the more pathetic

(10-04-2017, 11:03 AM)Krayz_Jville_D Wrote: this just makes blake's struggles all the more pathetic

This is kind of my sentiments. I want him to be the guy and this makes it that more hard for me to believe he will be. The dude is getting time and is staying clean for the most part and still isn’t accurate. I’m almost tempted to see what Henne can do with the time Bortles has in the pocket

(10-04-2017, 11:59 AM)Etdavis2006 Wrote:
(10-04-2017, 11:03 AM)Krayz_Jville_D Wrote: this just makes blake's struggles all the more pathetic

This is kind of my sentiments. I want him to be the guy and this makes it that more hard for me to believe he will be. The dude is getting time and is staying clean for the most part and still isn’t accurate. I’m almost tempted to see what Henne can do with the time Bortles has in the pocket

Accuracy is mostly on Blake Burtles, obviously, but is it totally his fault that balls get batted down at the LOS? The OL is supposed to help him with that part.

(10-04-2017, 12:16 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:
(10-04-2017, 11:59 AM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: This is kind of my sentiments. I want him to be the guy and this makes it that more hard for me to believe he will be. The dude is getting time and is staying clean for the most part and still isn’t accurate. I’m almost tempted to see what Henne can do with the time Bortles has in the pocket

Accuracy is mostly on Blake Burtles, obviously, but is it totally his fault that balls get batted down at the LOS? The OL is supposed to help him with that part.

I’m not a nfl coach so I could be completely wrong but I believe the reason d-linemen are able to bat down his passes are for a few reasons: he is telegraphing his passes, so they are able to time their jumps; his release has slowed down which is giving them that extra half second to react and jump and he is throwing the same types of passes so they are anticipating the pass coming their way. Garrard had this same issue and these we’re some of the reasons it was happening then. 

Linemen aren’t always gonna block perfect, the pocket will not always be pretty. If he needs everything to be perfect to excel then we will win maybe 2 more games. He’s not a good thrower so it’s not surprising to see he struggles to get the ball over the line when he himself is 6’5.

(10-04-2017, 02:26 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: I’m not a nfl coach so I could be completely wrong but I believe the reason d-linemen are able to bat down his passes are for a few reasons: he is telegraphing his passes, so they are able to time their jumps; his release has slowed down which is giving them that extra half second to react and jump and he is throwing the same types of passes so they are anticipating the pass coming their way. Garrard had this same issue and these we’re some of the reasons it was happening then. 

Linemen aren’t always gonna block perfect, the pocket will not always be pretty. If he needs everything to be perfect to excel then we will win maybe 2 more games. He’s not a good thrower so it’s not surprising to see he struggles to get the ball over the line when he himself is 6’5.

Like I said, we have a cleaner pocket this year with Blake Bortles not being sacked in two games or hit as often. His throwing speed was supposed to increase in the offseason. Blake is the same height as Ben Roethlisberger, but the Steelers have a better OL. We will see the difference Sunday.

It is debatable how much of the Jets loss was on Bortles considering we lost by only three points. Now I am moving on to Pittsburgh.

(10-03-2017, 09:34 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I question a lot of PFF grades but I feel this is fair.  Only if we had a real QB

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pr...efficiency

Blake Bortles has had plenty of time and often a clean pocket on way too may incompletions this season.  

The drops have been a little high, but pale in comparison to the errant throws and bad decisions. 
The awkward delivery on several of the tipped passes, the stare-downs of one receiver, the forced passes into coverage with a check down available, and the poor timing with receivers' breaks/routes ... 

These are all largely the fault of #5 and not the players around him. 

The shame is that his bad games could still be wins for the team sometimes if he'd just cut the mistakes by half. He doesn't need to be perfect to get this team to .500

(10-04-2017, 02:54 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Blake Bortles has had plenty of time and often a clean pocket on way too may incompletions this season.  

The drops have been a little high, but pale in comparison to the errant throws and bad decisions. 
The awkward delivery on several of the tipped passes, the stare-downs of one receiver, the forced passes into coverage with a check down available, and the poor timing with receivers' breaks/routes ... 

The shame is that his bad games could still be wins for the team sometimes if he'd just cut the mistakes by half. He doesn't need to be perfect to get this team to .500

We currently are at .500 right now. Of course it is easy to blame #5 for that, but it is not his fault that we have a terrible run defense.

(10-04-2017, 02:35 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:
(10-04-2017, 02:26 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: I’m not a nfl coach so I could be completely wrong but I believe the reason d-linemen are able to bat down his passes are for a few reasons: he is telegraphing his passes, so they are able to time their jumps; his release has slowed down which is giving them that extra half second to react and jump and he is throwing the same types of passes so they are anticipating the pass coming their way. Garrard had this same issue and these we’re some of the reasons it was happening then. 

Like I said, we have a cleaner pocket this year with Blake Bortles not being sacked in two games or hit as often. His throwing speed was supposed to increase in the offseason. Blake is the same height as Ben Roethlisberger, but the Steelers have a better OL. We will see the difference Sunday.

It is debatable how much of the Jets loss was on Bortles considering we lost by only three points. Now I am moving on to Pittsburgh.

That is understandable. It’s always a team game so the team lost. It’s just once we break it down, Bortles seems to have the largest role in the loss. The defense generated 5 sacks, 2 turnovers and a defensive touchdown. The offense was only able to generate 13 points. Poor production like that is square on the qb. When you factor in the 8th best offensive line and they 5th ranked rushing attack it even further indicates How much the qbs is hamstringing this team. 

We used to make all this fuse about him getting sacked to much and no run game and the defense couldn’t stop anyone, that’s why it looks like he struggling. Well all of that is fixed now and he looks worse. I’m still holding out hope for him but it’s not looking good at this point.

(10-04-2017, 03:00 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:
(10-04-2017, 02:54 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Blake Bortles has had plenty of time and often a clean pocket on way too may incompletions this season.  

We currently are at .500 right now. Of course it is easy to blame #5 for that, but it is not his fault that we have a terrible run defense.
I meant "to finish 8 and 8."

And I'm not blaming Blake for the run defense.  I'm blaming Blake very, very specifically for the mistakes he is making. 
They are part of the problem.

(10-04-2017, 03:07 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(10-04-2017, 03:00 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: We currently are at .500 right now. Of course it is easy to blame #5 for that, but it is not his fault that we have a terrible run defense.

I meant "to finish 8 and 8."

And I'm not blaming Blake for the run defense.  I'm blaming Blake very, very specifically for the mistakes he is making. 

Of course if we finish with an 8-8 record this board will explode with complaints Blake Bortles kept us out of the playoffs. That is how they are, whether fans are right or wrong.

My point about the run defense was if you take away a 75-yard TD and a 69-yard TD, we win despite Bortles being terrible.

(10-04-2017, 03:12 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:
(10-04-2017, 03:07 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I meant "to finish 8 and 8."

Of course if we finish with an 8-8 record this board will explode with complaints Blake Bortles kept us out of the playoffs. That is how they are, whether fans are right or wrong.

My point about the run defense was if you take away a 75-yard TD and a 69-yard TD, we win despite Bortles being terrible.

The Jags made so many mistakes in NY that I could make you a list as long as my arm of ways the Jags could have won despite Blake's poor play. 

But that is NOT what this thread is about. It's about pass blocking efficiency. That's why I brought up the QB and not run defense - which is off topic.

(10-04-2017, 03:17 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: The Jags made so many mistakes in NY that I could make you a list as long as my arm of ways the Jags could have won despite Blake's poor play. 

But that is NOT what this thread is about. It's about pass blocking efficiency. That's why I brought up the QB and not run defense - which is off topic.

Blocking efficiency was definitely not on our long list of mistakes Sunday unless you count the time Blake Bortles was almost sacked and somehow escaped to throw a pass.

The pocket is good usually but there is nowhere to go with the ball when everyone of your receivers is below average. In 2006 when Brady had nobody to throw to they went 3TEs over half the time it was so bad. Blake is not the best but I still think he is one of the top 32 QBs on the planet.

(This post was last modified: 10-04-2017, 03:58 PM by Etdavis2006.)

(10-04-2017, 03:46 PM)myrick31 Wrote: The pocket is good usually but there is nowhere to go with the ball when everyone of your receivers is below average.  In 2006 when Brady had nobody to throw to they went 3TEs over half the time it was so bad.  Blake is not the best but I still think he is one of the top 32 QBs on the planet.

It seems that when poor qb play is the topic wideouts not being open is always brought up. I feel this is because most fans can’t see who is open when watching the game and are just not willing to go watch the all-22 film. I love the game and all it’s inctracies and will not sit for 2 hours dissecting every single player on ever single play. 

It is very hard for me to believe that a team that played a lot of man on Sunday; with subpar corners, had every single person covered like a blanket on every play. I will not accept that narrative and I challenge who ever believes that to produce that evidence. What I did see was poor passes thrown to wide open players on simple slant routes. I actually witnessed that. 

The 2006 patriots also went 12-4 so it must not have been that bad during that season.

I do agree that Blake isn’t the absolute worst qb. He definitely has the ability to play at a high level and be a top qb. He just isn’t doing that and doesn’t appear to be making that leap in his career.

(10-04-2017, 03:46 PM)myrick31 Wrote: The pocket is good usually but there is nowhere to go with the ball when everyone of your receivers is below average. In 2006 when Brady had nobody to throw to they went 3TEs over half the time it was so bad. Blake is not the best but I still think he is one of the top 32 QBs on the planet.

Bill Belicheat loves having more than one TE on the field. He also has an elite TE whose only problem is being so injury-prone and those injuries were mostly after 2006 IIRC. So I do not think Tom Brady had no WRs to throw to that year just because they ran a lot of multi-TE sets. But that is beside the point.

Top 32 QBs on the planet is not saying much, but I always thought he is better than people give him credit for.

(10-04-2017, 03:56 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote:
(10-04-2017, 03:46 PM)myrick31 Wrote: The pocket is good usually but there is nowhere to go with the ball when everyone of your receivers is below average.  In 2006 when Brady had nobody to throw to they went 3TEs over half the time it was so bad.  Blake is not the best but I still think he is one of the top 32 QBs on the planet.

It seems that when poor qb play is the topic wideouts not being open is always brought up. I feel this is because most fans can’t see who is open when watching the game and are just not willing to go watch the all-22 film. 

There are numerous examples of Bortles not hitting the open guy. 

Like Hurns on this designed roll-out (one of only two roll outs I remember vs the jets). 

Blake took a sack but had time to heave this one to the endzone where Hurns was headed down the sideline after winning a hitch and go route.

[Image: Screen_Shot_2017_10_04_at_4_16_00_PM.png]

I've got six more like this from the jets match up but have to get to some work stuff right now.

(10-04-2017, 04:23 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(10-04-2017, 03:56 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: It seems that when poor qb play is the topic wideouts not being open is always brought up. I feel this is because most fans can’t see who is open when watching the game and are just not willing to go watch the all-22 film. 

There are numerous examples of Bortles not hitting the open guy. 

Like Hurns on this designed roll-out (one of only two roll outs I remember vs the jets). 

Blake took a sack but had time to heave this one to the endzone where Hurns was headed down the sideline after winning a hitch and go route.

[Image: Screen_Shot_2017_10_04_at_4_16_00_PM.png]

I've got six more like this from the jets match up but have to get to some work stuff right now.

Yeah it’s just hard for me to believe every single play no one is open. This is prime example of Blake just missing a play that should have been made.

(10-04-2017, 04:44 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: Yeah it’s just hard for me to believe every single play no one is open. This is prime example of Blake just missing a play that should have been made.

Often someone is open and Blake Bortles misses him, instead throwing to a guy who is covered.