Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Mattis breaks with Trump on Iran

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/03/world...trump.html

Let me preface with this: I have a tremendous amount of respect for James Mattis and the job he's doing as Secretary of Defense. For a man that many had pegged as a mouthy warhawk, his dignity and desire for diplomacy have continually impressed me. His dismissive response to the anthem kneeling (or was it something else? Can't even remember which controversy is which) was perfect. "I'm the Secretary of Defense. I defend the country." He's displayed a level of statesmanship far beyond anything Trump could ever hope to show, and an understanding of how the world works that Trump is oblivious to.

In short, General Mattis should be President, and I hope I have the opportunity to vote for him in 2020.

With that aside, with the man that Trump hand-selected to withdraw us from the Iran deal now saying that he thinks it's to our benefit to stay in it--and with very good reason--what does it say about the state of Trump's presidency, perhaps even his state of mind?

To further my Mattis 2020 push a bit, I highly recommend reading his remarks during an event in Kitsap, Washington. He clearly gets it, he understands the world we live in, and while I remain a pretty sharp isolationist, his response to the question about it definitely made me stop and think. I'd like to shake his hand someday and thank him for that.

https://www.defense.gov/News/Transcripts...ashington/

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(10-03-2017, 09:40 PM)TJBender Wrote: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/03/world...trump.html

Let me preface with this: I have a tremendous amount of respect for James Mattis and the job he's doing as Secretary of Defense. For a man that many had pegged as a mouthy warhawk, his dignity and desire for diplomacy have continually impressed me. His dismissive response to the anthem kneeling (or was it something else? Can't even remember which controversy is which) was perfect. "I'm the Secretary of Defense. I defend the country." He's displayed a level of statesmanship far beyond anything Trump could ever hope to show, and an understanding of how the world works that Trump is oblivious to.

In short, General Mattis should be President, and I hope I have the opportunity to vote for him in 2020.

With that aside, with the man that Trump hand-selected to withdraw us from the Iran deal now saying that he thinks it's to our benefit to stay in it--and with very good reason--what does it say about the state of Trump's presidency, perhaps even his state of mind?

To further my Mattis 2020 push a bit, I highly recommend reading his remarks during an event in Kitsap, Washington. He clearly gets it, he understands the world we live in, and while I remain a pretty sharp isolationist, his response to the question about it definitely made me stop and think. I'd like to shake his hand someday and thank him for that.

You are wrong about one thing (or the NYT lied to you), the word "now." Mattis was opposed to withdrawing from the Iran deal even before Trump nominated him for SecDef.

And there's no benefit to our staying in it.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

It says that there are facts you learn as POTUS that you didn't know as a civilian that you have to adjust to.

(This post was last modified: 10-04-2017, 12:46 AM by B2hibry. Edit Reason: Forgot link. )

(10-03-2017, 09:40 PM)TJBender Wrote: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/03/world...trump.html

Gen. Mattis is a smart dude. He knows how to speak tough without backing himself into a corner or disrespecting his boss. In any case, he did not unequivocally state that we should keep the Iran deal. He stated that if all reviewers can agree and that the terms within the agreement can be verified that he thinks it should be renewed. As of right now, Russia and Iran have kept inspectors from verification of section T of the deal.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-iran-n...SKCN1C821N
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

What happens when we pull out of the deal? Iran says, full speed ahead on nuclear weapons. We say, we are reimposing sanctions. Just one big huge problem though. All the other countries who previously joined with us in the sanctions say, "We're not pulling out of the deal. You're on your own." So what would we have accomplished by pulling out of the deal and what is the next step after that? War with Iran?

I think this whole mantra of "It's a bad deal, let's pull out..." should be examined pretty carefully, especially in terms of what comes after we pull out.

(10-04-2017, 07:50 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:  especially in terms of what comes after we pull out.

That's what she said.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(10-04-2017, 07:50 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: What happens when we pull out of the deal?  Iran says, full speed ahead on nuclear weapons.  We say, we are reimposing sanctions.  Just one big huge problem though.  All the other countries who previously joined with us in the sanctions say, "We're not pulling out of the deal.  You're on your own."  So what would we have accomplished by pulling out of the deal and what is the next step after that?   War with Iran?  

I think this whole mantra of "It's a bad deal, let's pull out..." should be examined pretty carefully, especially in terms of what comes after we pull out.

Yeah, because all of those countries that depend on the US for their national defense will surely want to risk that benefit.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(This post was last modified: 10-04-2017, 10:11 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Trump simply stated that everything Obama did was terrible to cause an uproar and get elected

The Presidential Election is about getting elected, not about citing facts or providing the public with honest opinions to lead the US in the proper direction.  Heck, just look at trade with China --- Ivanka's still getting her goods produced in China.

(This post was last modified: 10-04-2017, 12:22 PM by boudreaumw.)

Mattis is a good guy and I agree with him being a statesmen. We really need more like him. Highly qualified for his position and it's shocking he was appointed to the position. Someone must have forced that one on trump or all he heard was mad dog.

(10-04-2017, 12:18 AM)B2hibry Wrote:

Gen. Mattis is a smart dude. He knows how to speak tough without backing himself into a corner or disrespecting his boss. In any case, he did not unequivocally state that we should keep the Iran deal. He stated that if all reviewers can agree and that the terms within the agreement can be verified that he thinks it should be renewed. As of right now, Russia and Iran have kept inspectors from verification of section T of the deal.

Therein lies the rub.  He knows as well as anyone the likelihood that Iran is going to live up to their end of the agreement, as has already been proven out since it was signed.  He also knows that many of the very groups tasked with monitoring compliance have been rebuffed by Iran and their Russian buddies.  All signs point toward withdrawing no matter what he's indicated.

Mattis is a good and thoughtful man.  He's not the hot head many on the left expected him to be, and if they had educated themselves in the slightest, they would have understood this from the beginning, but the politicization of every appointment allowed them to portray him as a war hawk.  That's never been his MO in the past, but let's not allow facts to get in the way of a good old political hit job.

He's tough as nails, and he fully understands how to use rhetoric to project strength, an there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.  He's not afraid to use the military if called upon.  I just don't think that's his first preference in any situation.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(10-05-2017, 04:41 PM)FBT Wrote:
(10-04-2017, 12:18 AM)B2hibry Wrote: Gen. Mattis is a smart dude. He knows how to speak tough without backing himself into a corner or disrespecting his boss. In any case, he did not unequivocally state that we should keep the Iran deal. He stated that if all reviewers can agree and that the terms within the agreement can be verified that he thinks it should be renewed. As of right now, Russia and Iran have kept inspectors from verification of section T of the deal.

Therein lies the rub.  He knows as well as anyone the likelihood that Iran is going to live up to their end of the agreement, as has already been proven out since it was signed.  He also knows that many of the very groups tasked with monitoring compliance have been rebuffed by Iran and their Russian buddies.  All signs point toward withdrawing no matter what he's indicated.

Mattis is a good and thoughtful man.  He's not the hot head many on the left expected him to be, and if they had educated themselves in the slightest, they would have understood this from the beginning, but the politicization of every appointment allowed them to portray him as a war hawk.  That's never been his MO in the past, but let's not allow facts to get in the way of a good old political hit job.

He's tough as nails, and he fully understands how to use rhetoric to project strength, an there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.  He's not afraid to use the military if called upon.  I just don't think that's his first preference in any situation.

what about now? 

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/...4121491457

Mattis must have a book coming out ghost written by James Comey.

(06-04-2020, 07:54 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Mattis must have a book coming out ghost written by James Comey.

Have you jumped ship from Mattis now too? You have quite a lot of posts praising him the last few years, why the change of heart

I still like Mattis. Don't have to agree with everything he thinks, though.

Thanks for that.  No need to read another word of this post or thread.

“Donald Trump is the first president in my lifetime who does not try to unite the American people – does not even pretend to try,” Mattis said. “Instead he tries to divide us. We are witnessing the consequences of three years of this deliberate effort. We are witnessing the consequences of three years without mature leadership.”

(06-04-2020, 11:26 AM)JagJohn Wrote: “Donald Trump is the first president in my lifetime who does not try to unite the American people – does not even pretend to try,” Mattis said. “Instead he tries to divide us. We are witnessing the consequences of three years of this deliberate effort. We are witnessing the consequences of three years without mature leadership.”

Well, in his defense he was out of the country for Obama's presidency.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(06-04-2020, 09:10 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(06-04-2020, 07:54 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Mattis must have a book coming out ghost written by James Comey.

Have you jumped ship from Mattis now too? You have quite a lot of posts praising him the last few years, why the change of heart

I don't mind Mattis. He is entitled to his opinion even if the timing is peculiar.

(06-04-2020, 12:46 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(06-04-2020, 09:10 AM)JackCity Wrote: Have you jumped ship from Mattis now too? You have quite a lot of posts praising him the last few years, why the change of heart

I don't mind Mattis. He is entitled to his opinion even if the timing is peculiar.

I agree.

Mattis is respectable, but I’m not sure how much a president can or should be personally held accountable with regards to being a uniter-in-chief or divider-in-chief.

Changes in cultural values over time is what will bring this about, along with legislation aimed at protecting the rights and opportunities for ALL people.

Tackling the tough problems through effective leadership, maintaining dignity & integrity of office, and improving country reputation and reliability in the international community is all the President should be concerned with.
"We believe in victory!"   - Gus Bradley
"I don't want to believe.  I want to know."   - Carl Sagan

(06-04-2020, 04:39 PM)KodiakJag Wrote:
(06-04-2020, 12:46 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: I don't mind Mattis. He is entitled to his opinion even if the timing is peculiar.

I agree.

Mattis is respectable, but I’m not sure how much a president can or should be personally held accountable with regards to being a uniter-in-chief or divider-in-chief.

Changes in cultural values over time is what will bring this about, along with legislation aimed at protecting the rights and opportunities for ALL people.

Tackling the tough problems through effective leadership, maintaining dignity & integrity of office, and improving country reputation and reliability in the international community is all the President should be concerned with.

How would you grade Trump on these things?