Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Sacks / Takeaways

(This post was last modified: 10-04-2017, 04:46 AM by Tyler1Reformed.)

Seriously, haven't we been near last in these categories for the longest time? 

Sacks - 18 (1st)
Interceptions - 5 (5th)
FF's - 6 (T-2nd) 
FF Recovered - 3 (1st)
FF TD's - 2 (1st) 

This is through four games. That's quite telling from a team that was basically the bottom of the list for all categories. Makes it even more sickening we have no QB right now.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

We fix that run defense to just middle of the road and we're a shut down defense.

Though if we're going to be good somewhere and struggle somewhere, I'd rather it be the way it is now.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

But then there's still the QB situation we still have..

(10-04-2017, 07:50 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: But then there's still the QB situation we still have..

Right, which is why I said at the end it just makes this situation even more sickening of not having a QB lol...

ALSO - #1 in the league in passing yards allowed (588) HOLY HELL can we please get a QB!

As great as this is, it's fair to question the legitimacy of the sample thus far. We did great against 3 cellar dwellar offensive lines/QBs and the one good offense we played manhandled our dline. The Steelers also very good oline will be a huge test that will help provide a much more balanced picture.

(10-04-2017, 08:36 AM)Upper Wrote: As great as this is, it's fair to question the legitimacy of the sample thus far. We did great against 3 cellar dwellar offensive lines/QBs and the one good offense we played manhandled our dline. The Steelers also very good oline will be a huge test that will help provide a much more balanced picture.

That's how the schedule draw works. Doesn't matter who it's against, it's 1/4 of the season so it's legit numbers no matter how you look at it. The defense is coming to play every game and I would hate to be in their mind as they work and work each game and see Bortles drop duds when realistically we should be at least 3-1 if not 4-0.

(10-04-2017, 09:32 AM)Tyler1Reformed Wrote:
(10-04-2017, 08:36 AM)Upper Wrote: As great as this is, it's fair to question the legitimacy of the sample thus far. We did great against 3 cellar dwellar offensive lines/QBs and the one good offense we played manhandled our dline. The Steelers also very good oline will be a huge test that will help provide a much more balanced picture.

That's how the schedule draw works. Doesn't matter who it's against, it's 1/4 of the season so it's legit numbers no matter how you look at it. The defense is coming to play every game and I would hate to be in their mind as they work and work each game and see Bortles drop duds when realistically we should be at least 3-1 if not 4-0.

But...that's not true at all. Opponent absolutely matters, 1/4 of the season isn't a great sample size, and "should be 3-1 if not 4-0" is completely unrelated to potential legitimacy and more importantly future performance in sacks/takeaways.

Well, that same Texans' OL without Brown still led an offense that put up FIFTY SEVEN (57) points against Tennessee last week, and over thirty against New England the week before.

Furthermore, our D Line played okay against Tennessee until like the 3rd turnover that put Tennessee in Jags territory.  After that, the D simply wore down.

I agree that Pittsburgh will be a good test.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(10-04-2017, 09:49 AM)Upper Wrote:
(10-04-2017, 09:32 AM)Tyler1Reformed Wrote: That's how the schedule draw works. Doesn't matter who it's against, it's 1/4 of the season so it's legit numbers no matter how you look at it. The defense is coming to play every game and I would hate to be in their mind as they work and work each game and see Bortles drop duds when realistically we should be at least 3-1 if not 4-0.

But...that's not true at all. Opponent absolutely matters, 1/4 of the season isn't a great sample size, and "should be 3-1 if not 4-0" is completely unrelated to potential legitimacy and more importantly future performance in sacks/takeaways.

Ok.

(10-04-2017, 04:46 AM)Tyler1Reformed Wrote: Seriously, haven't we been near last in these categories for the longest time? 

Sacks - 18 (1st)
Interceptions - 5 (5th)
FF's - 6 (T-2nd) 
FF Recovered - 3 (1st)
FF TD's - 2 (1st) 

This is through four games. That's quite telling from a team that was basically the bottom of the list for all categories. Makes it even more sickening we have no QB right now.

While I don't know that we'll finish top 5 in all of those categories (doubtful) there is no doubting that this staff was preaching turnovers all off-season and the team has received the message and adopted the adjustments in technique and scheme. 

Even if these numbers fade a bit after facing better offenses, I expect the Jags will remain in the upper third of the league in these stats and near the top on a couple of them. Especially if our starters in the secondary remain healthy.  
(knocks on wood*)

Thus far Todd Wash's statements about this defense being a more aggressive one than years past have been proven true. 
Now they have to find a way to do this and still stop the run more effectively.

(10-04-2017, 09:32 AM)Tyler1Reformed Wrote: That's how the schedule draw works. Doesn't matter who it's against, it's 1/4 of the season so it's legit numbers no matter how you look at it. The defense is coming to play every game and I would hate to be in their mind as they work and work each game and see Bortles drop duds when realistically we should be at least 3-1 if not 4-0.

Yeah but if you've watched all the games in their entirety, then this D definitely passes the eyeball test. The tempo, hustle and hitting have been outstanding except for few exceptions. The last several years we have been frustrated at watching them "not get there" no matter who was the opponent. Now as I watch I am more stunned to see the opposing QB get rid of and connect on almost any pass. Hopefully they shore up the few weak spots the Jets exploited before Sunday. This will be a huge coaching test for Doug. He clearly has the pieces to be successful on defense but he will have to be able to add some wrinkles like the Jets did to us in the redzone.

(10-04-2017, 03:37 PM)RealJagsFan Wrote: Yeah but if you've watched all the games in their entirety, then this D definitely passes the eyeball test.

The secondary definitely does. I don't think this is a top pass rushing unit though. Solidly above average probably, but I think us leading in sacks is more opponent based than truly elite.

(10-04-2017, 07:30 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: We fix that run defense to just middle of the road and we're a shut down defense.

Though if we're going to be good somewhere and struggle somewhere, I'd rather it be the way it is now.

We are not close to being a shut down defense until we are just as good against the run as we currently are against the pass.

(10-04-2017, 08:36 AM)Upper Wrote: As great as this is, it's fair to question the legitimacy of the sample thus far. We did great against 3 cellar dweller offensive lines/QBs and the one good offense we played manhandled our d-line. The Steelers also very good o-line will be a huge test that will help provide a much more balanced picture.

No team with an OL that bad can score 57 points against a team with a very good DL. That leaves us with two basement OLs - if you can prove the one in Baltimore is that bad. I am not so sure it is because Cincinnati's problems are on offense.

Opponents "absolutely" matter in college, not the NFL. The Browns almost beat the Steelers. What does that tell you?