Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Week 5 Game Plan

The Jags have had time to analyze their mistakes against the jets and begin implementing their plan to defeat the steelers on the road. 

Listed below are some areas I believe the team should focus upon in Pittsburgh.
  Feel free to agree/disagree with my take and fill us all in on how you are viewing this matchup from an X's and O's perspective. 

DEFENSE:

Watching a bit of the Steelers games on game-pass, I've noticed a few things the Jags will need to study to defend.

They have a few sneaky runs to the outside out of a 3 WR set that are tough to defend when they hit all of their blocking assignments. 

One involves a pulling guard AND Center toward the TE side of the formation. The TE and Tackle jump out to pick up LBs, the guard picks up the DE and the center of all people acts as a lead blocker.  They gashed the ravens a couple of time with this one. It's worth some film study an attempt to identify it from the LBs and SS. 

Another run (usually to the right side) that uses a pulling TE always seems to come when they send in an extra lineman (BJ Finney) and report him as eligible.  This could be a good one to sniff out as well. 

The fact that they are willing to run out of a 3WR set pretty often will make it tough to defend the run from the nickel formation. Colvin and Church will need to be strong in run support. They may need to consider leaving some bigger bodies on the D-Line in the nickel package at times to counter this. (Jones, Ankou, Smoot, Fowler instead of Ngakoue a little more often)

We've seen Bouye play very well, but also give up a few large gains or key 3rd down conversions. He'll have his work cut out with Bryant or Brown challenging him.  Ramsey as well to a lesser extent. Colvin is the man who will need to be most vigilant against their rookie slot receiver. The comeback route to JuJu Smith is effective for them on third down. 

OFFENSE:

On offense the Jags need to do a few things to make better use of their weapons w/o taxing Blake with too much of the load. 

1. Do a much better job managing Fournette's touches situationally. They've admitted their rotation is "not an exact science."
Make it an exact science moving forward. 
 - I'd get LF more consecutive touches in the second and third quarters without spelling him so quickly -  so that he may hit a stride or two. 
 - Save the Grant gadgets for late in the third/early in the fourth if the scoreboard allows. 
 - Give Fournette more redzone opportunities. 

2. Get your other TEs (O'Shaughnessy and Koyack) involved in some underneath routes where they chip and leak out then sit in the soft spot. 

3. Roll out Blake once per series. It's a high percentage play for him and they ignored it last week. 

4. De-Activate Cole for a while. I don't care in it's Benn, McCaffery of Pinkard from the PS. 
Give somebody else a chance to catch the balls he's dropping or not getting open for.  He's talented but he just doesn't look ready. 

Those are my thoughts on how they'll need to approach this game. Certainly you folks have others.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 10-04-2017, 04:53 PM by JaguarsWoman.)

You forgot special teams. One of our mistakes in New York was missing a FG attempt. The absolute worst ST I have seen this season is Marqise Lee's punt return attempt there. Let's put a bigger emphasis on letting the ball bounce into the end zone for a touchback instead of picking it up and running backward.

If Keelan Cole was worse than Max McCaffrey I am sure he would have been a healthy scratch. Moving forward I hope he's targeted less often at one of our hardest games this year.

Expect Jalen Ramsey to cover Antonio Brown and A.J. Bouye to cover Martavis Bryant, who has been struggling this season. Ben Roethisberger has been frustrating Brown with many inaccurate passes, but has been doing his job right when he gets the ball. We need man-to-man coverage back there.

Linebackers: Don't take your eyes off #26. If he gets past them, we are in big trouble. We need to put eight men in the box on RPO (run-pass option) plays.