Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Trump's Merit System

Trump is converting our immigration policy to include a merit system where one must demonstrate their worth to get in. This has me wondering if our owner Shad Khan would have qualified to immigrate when he first got here under such a system.
'02

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 10-05-2017, 11:59 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

I just think he's trying to kick Melania out of the US unless being a cute gold digger is considered merit.

He immigrated here and was an engineering student. He would have more than qualified.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

I say..... we have enough people in the US....
we should probably just stop taking people in altogether.

(This post was last modified: 10-05-2017, 08:23 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

What exactly is good merit?   The foreign engineering student that is going to take the high paying jobs that represent the future of this country or the hard working blue collar person that is willing to work his [BLEEP] off 12 hours a day for $120.  

Everybody talks about the foreign competition in the construction industry but if you look around corporate america these days ....

(This post was last modified: 10-09-2017, 11:22 PM by HandsomeRob86.)

A merit system is what the rest of the developed world uses and I think it is appropriate for working age immigrants. I agree that we are already having trouble supporting our own entitlements for our older generations, so we certainly should not be taking in people who have no way to provide for themselves here. That said, the idea that if you want to work hard and succeed, the US has a place for you is something I still personally believe.

I hear the accusations that its a 'brain drain' on other countries, but so it has always been, and so it will be. If you want to go somewhere were no skills are required, don't expect it to be awesome. China, for instance, has opportunities that do not exist in the US even if the overall prospect is worse. The right people will always take advantage of what they have to succeed. Its the epitome of the type of person we do not need in the US who thinks that they should be allowed to come here with nothing to offer. We have enough leeches on our own, if we take other nationals, they need to be productive to justify their presence.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(This post was last modified: 10-10-2017, 07:02 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(10-09-2017, 11:21 PM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: A merit system is what the rest of the developed world uses and I think it is appropriate for working age immigrants. I agree that we are already having trouble supporting our own entitlements for our older generations, so we certainly should not be taking in people who have no way to provide for themselves here. That said, the idea that if you want to work hard and succeed, the US has a place for you is something I still personally believe.

I hear the accusations that its a 'brain drain' on other countries, but so it has always been, and so it will be. If you want to go somewhere were no skills are required, don't expect it to be awesome. China, for instance, has opportunities that do not exist in the US even if the overall prospect is worse. The right people will always take advantage of what they have to succeed. Its the epitome of the type of person we do not need in the US who thinks that they should be allowed to come here with nothing to offer. We have enough leeches on our own, if we take other nationals, they need to be productive to justify their presence.

I hate the word "entitlements" people pay into social security all their lives, so it's not like the government is giving them some handout. They are simply getting the money back that the government was holding for them. It's the only way people can survive nowadays since hardly any blue collar jobs offer a retirement package anymore. I normally hate everything Trump comes up with, but this is an idea that is actually long overdue. See, I can give the Devil his due, when he has a decent idea.

(This post was last modified: 10-10-2017, 09:14 AM by jj82284.)

Actually, social security is the problem, not the solution.  It isn't a system that you pay into and then have a return on over time.  That's not the way the system is designed.  The dollars that you pay in today, through the most regressive and onerous tax on the books, goes to pay a current beneficiary through an age based welfare system.  

As for "The only way that someone can make it..." In reality, the challenge is that when you look at the total compensation that an employer is paying to the employee then over 10% goes to payroll taxes, including social security contributions.  If any worker was allowed to have that amount of money work in the private market in an open end investment company (mutual fund) then there would be a boom of generational wealth for ordinary working people.  

(10-10-2017, 09:13 AM)jj82284 Wrote: Actually, social security is the problem, not the solution.  It isn't a system that you pay into and then have a return on over time.  That's not the way the system is designed.  The dollars that you pay in today, through the most regressive and onerous tax on the books, goes to pay a current beneficiary through an age based welfare system.  

As for "The only way that someone can make it..." In reality, the challenge is that when you look at the total compensation that an employer is paying to the employee then over 10% goes to payroll taxes, including social security contributions.  If any worker was allowed to have that amount of money work in the private market in an open end investment company (mutual fund) then there would be a boom of generational wealth for ordinary working people.  

But without entitlement programs how would the politicians buy their votes?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(10-10-2017, 09:13 AM)jj82284 Wrote: Actually, social security is the problem, not the solution.  It isn't a system that you pay into and then have a return on over time.  That's not the way the system is designed.  The dollars that you pay in today, through the most regressive and onerous tax on the books, goes to pay a current beneficiary through an age based welfare system.  

You are right, Social Security and Medicare are a Ponzi scheme. But that doesn't change the fact that people pay into the system and are rightfully "entitled" to the promised payback at the end. Had that money been invested in an index fund the interest at retirement would be more than the government payout. It's not welfare (although it was for those collecting at the beginning).

Which brings up an annoyance of mine, conflating Medicare and Medicaid. Medicaid is welfare.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(10-09-2017, 11:21 PM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: That said, the idea that if you want to work hard and succeed, the US has a place for you is something I still personally believe.

I agree with that statement but it needs to apply to all industries.  If we want agriculture in this country to succeed, one could argue that 20 years from now the immigrant working 12 hours per day out in the fields is just as important, if not more important, to the US economy as the immigrant sitting at Google working on software support.  I mean, seriously, when was the last time any of the millennials picked up a hammer or changed their auto oil ?  Not a knock on millennials because I think they are far in advanced than us when it relates to IT and engineering algorithms and software application but I'm just saying we need an immigration system that merits good work ethics across all industries.

Eugenics by immigration.

(10-10-2017, 09:59 PM)TJBender Wrote: Eugenics by immigration.

Are you saying certain races wont meet the merit system requirements?

(10-10-2017, 11:42 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:
(10-10-2017, 09:59 PM)TJBender Wrote: Eugenics by immigration.

Are you saying certain races wont meet the merit system requirements?

That is certainly the intent of the program, yes.

(10-11-2017, 12:19 AM)TJBender Wrote:
(10-10-2017, 11:42 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: Are you saying certain races wont meet the merit system requirements?

No it's not, you're being ridiculous.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(10-10-2017, 11:42 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: Are you saying certain races wont meet the merit system requirements?

No, are YOU saying they can’t show merit?

(10-11-2017, 09:20 AM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:
(10-11-2017, 12:19 AM)TJBender Wrote: That is certainly the intent of the program, yes.

No, are YOU saying they can’t show merit?

I'm saying that "merit" is a very subjective thing, and if word is passed around that "dirty Mexicans" have less merit than western Europeans, then it is, as it is designed to be, Eugenics by immigration.

(10-11-2017, 01:46 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(10-11-2017, 09:20 AM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: No, are YOU saying they can’t show merit?

I'm saying that "merit" is a very subjective thing, and if word is passed around that "dirty Mexicans" have less merit than western Europeans, then it is, as it is designed to be, Eugenics by immigration.

It's not subjective at all, it's a point system based on your application and race doesn't play into it at all. You must really hate Trump to ascribe such awfulness to him.

(10-11-2017, 02:13 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(10-11-2017, 01:46 PM)TJBender Wrote: I'm saying that "merit" is a very subjective thing, and if word is passed around that "dirty Mexicans" have less merit than western Europeans, then it is, as it is designed to be, Eugenics by immigration.

It's not subjective at all, it's a point system based on your application and race doesn't play into it at all. You must really hate Trump to ascribe such awfulness to him.

So, point systems are not subjective ?   interesting.

That's a pretty racist implication.  The merit system is intended to bring the best from any country regardless of the place of origin as long as they're not coming from a nation that has been identified as supporting terrorism, and even in those instances, I'm sure certain accommodations can be made for someone seeking asylum even under the Trump plan..  To say certain races don't meet the requirements implies there are races that you feel are inferior, and last time I checked, that's pretty much textbook racism, but not surprising coming from the left.  It's not like liberals have ever done anything like that..other than starting the KKK, opposing Civil Rights, and ramming a social welfare system down our throats intended to keep minorities in poverty as a permanent dependent class of democrat voters.  Other than those things, you libs have never been known to be racist, right?

Seriously, from what I understand about this merit system, it has nothing to do with race unless you're an agenda whoring liberal who needs to find any possible way to work that into any situation. It's a point system based on very specific criteria. It doesn't matter if you're Eastern European or Mexican or African or Chinese. These are people who have the potential to become high income earners in our system, which helps the permanent under class that you liberals are so fond of propping up instead of giving them a hand up. It helps a growing economy so that those who are living in government induced poverty can elevate their status if they want to do so. So, it makes sense a liberal would be opposed because it would chip away at your base.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]