Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Trump's Merit System

(10-11-2017, 03:39 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(10-11-2017, 02:13 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: It's not subjective at all, it's a point system based on your application and race doesn't play into it at all. You must really hate Trump to ascribe such awfulness to him.

So, point systems are not subjective ?   interesting.

Less subjective than say, using gender, nationality, religion, skin color, etc.

If a Muslim or a gender neutral, or an African, or anyone wants to come here to become an engineer, mathematician, computer programmer or whatever, and they're a high performer, they are going to be given the opportunity to come to this country and succeed.  There's nothing wrong with looking for the brightest and the best.  Other countries somehow manage to do this without raising the ire of the left.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Sounds fairly similar to Japan's system.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(10-11-2017, 04:16 PM)FBT Wrote:
(10-11-2017, 12:19 AM)TJBender Wrote: That is certainly the intent of the program, yes.

That's a pretty racist implication.  The merit system is intended to bring the best from any country regardless of the place of origin as long as they're not coming from a nation that has been identified as supporting terrorism, and even in those instances, I'm sure certain accommodations can be made for someone seeking asylum even under the Trump plan..  To say certain races don't meet the requirements implies there are races that you feel are inferior, and last time I checked, that's pretty much textbook racism, but not surprising coming from the left.  It's not like liberals have ever done anything like that..other than starting the KKK, opposing Civil Rights, and ramming a social welfare system down our throats intended to keep minorities in poverty as a permanent dependent class of democrat voters.  Other than those things, you libs have never been known to be racist, right?

Seriously, from what I understand about this merit system, it has nothing to do with race unless you're an agenda whoring liberal who needs to find any possible way to work that into any situation.  It's a point system based on very specific criteria.  It doesn't matter if you're Eastern European or Mexican or African or Chinese.  These are people who have the potential to become high income earners in our system, which helps the permanent under class that you liberals are so fond of propping up instead of giving them a hand up.  It helps a growing economy so that those who are living in government induced poverty can elevate their status if they want to do so.  So, it makes sense a liberal would be opposed because it would chip away at your base.

You can slap whatever labels you want on me. Doesn't make your take any more accurate than mine. If you seriously intend to tell me that a man who insists on a border wall that wouldn't actually stop anyone, just wreck ecosystems and be a monument to racism and xenophobia, is looking for a truly impartial merit-based system, then sure, believe away. I've got some beachfront property in El Centro with your name on it.

A "merit system" is designed with the knowledge that "undesirables" have no chance of scoring high enough to get in. Yes, it's racist, and yes, that's the intent, because Trump's die hards lick it up, and he's got to do something to keep them from getting bored and moving to his right. If you want to hide behind labels and blame the big bad boogeyman liberals for everything that's wrong with the world, cool. When you're ready to sit at the grown-ups table and respond to a post you disagree with without being as intellectual and thoughtful as Adam2012, go ahead and quote me.

I wonder how many points Melania scored on Donald's merit system, especially as compared to Ivana.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(10-11-2017, 03:39 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(10-11-2017, 02:13 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: It's not subjective at all, it's a point system based on your application and race doesn't play into it at all. You m nu ftust really hate Trump to ascribe such awfulness to him.

So, point systems are not subjective ?   interesting.

No, they aren't, they are objective.

(10-11-2017, 06:36 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(10-11-2017, 04:16 PM)FBT Wrote: That's a pretty racist implication.  The merit system is intended to bring the best from any country regardless of the place of origin as long as they're not coming from a nation that has been identified as supporting terrorism, and even in those instances, I'm sure certain accommodations can be made for someone seeking asylum even under the Trump plan..  To say certain races don't meet the requirements implies there are races that you feel are inferior, and last time I checked, that's pretty much textbook racism, but not surprising coming from the left.  It's not like liberals have ever done anything like that..other than starting the KKK, opposing Civil Rights, and ramming a social welfare system down our throats intended to keep minorities in poverty as a permanent dependent class of democrat voters.  Other than those things, you libs have never been known to be racist, right?

Seriously, from what I understand about this merit system, it has nothing to do with race unless you're an agenda whoring liberal who needs to find any possible way to work that into any situation.  It's a point system based on very specific criteria.  It doesn't matter if you're Eastern European or Mexican or African or Chinese.  These are people who have the potential to become high income earners in our system, which helps the permanent under class that you liberals are so fond of propping up instead of giving them a hand up.  It helps a growing economy so that those who are living in government induced poverty can elevate their status if they want to do so.  So, it makes sense a liberal would be opposed because it would chip away at your base.

You can slap whatever labels you want on me. Doesn't make your take any more accurate than mine. If you seriously intend to tell me that a man who insists on a border wall that wouldn't actually stop anyone, just wreck ecosystems and be a monument to racism and xenophobia, is looking for a truly impartial merit-based system, then sure, believe away. I've got some beachfront property in El Centro with your name on it.

A "merit system" is designed with the knowledge that "undesirables" have no chance of scoring high enough to get in. Yes, it's racist, and yes, that's the intent, because Trump's die hards lick it up, and he's got to do something to keep them from getting bored and moving to his right. If you want to hide behind labels and blame the big bad boogeyman liberals for everything that's wrong with the world, cool. When you're ready to sit at the grown-ups table and respond to a post you disagree with without being as intellectual and thoughtful as Adam2012, go ahead and quote me.

Undesirable has nothing to do with race unless you believe every time you aren't selected for a team or hired for a job it's based on race. If so that's a sad lens to view your life through, more worthy of JFC than an Attack Helicopter.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(10-11-2017, 06:57 PM)rollerjag Wrote: I wonder how many points Melania scored on Donald's merit system, especially as compared to Ivana.

They each had employment, personal means, and an education, so both easily make the cut.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(10-11-2017, 08:57 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(10-11-2017, 03:39 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: So, point systems are not subjective ?   interesting.

No, they aren't, they are objective.

(10-11-2017, 06:36 PM)TJBender Wrote: You can slap whatever labels you want on me. Doesn't make your take any more accurate than mine. If you seriously intend to tell me that a man who insists on a border wall that wouldn't actually stop anyone, just wreck ecosystems and be a monument to racism and xenophobia, is looking for a truly impartial merit-based system, then sure, believe away. I've got some beachfront property in El Centro with your name on it.

Undesirable has nothing to do with race unless you believe every time you aren't selected for a team or hired for a job it's based on race. If so that's a sad lens to view your life through, more worthy of JFC than an Attack Helicopter.

I can't believe I'm actually on the Trump side with this one, but I have to agree. "Undesirables" and race have nothing to do with one another. When it comes to illegals, I view "undesirables" as MS-13 members. It has nothing to do with race. It has everything to do with the fact that they are violent criminals who commit horrible crimes. I see nothing wrong what so ever with letting in what we as humans would call contributing members of society and keeping out criminals.

(10-11-2017, 06:57 PM)rollerjag Wrote: I wonder how many points Melania scored on Donald's merit system, especially as compared to Ivana.

Regardless of my hatred for Trump, Melania studied Design and Photography in her native land and she speaks 6 languages. The woman is pretty bright. Personally, I believe she is much more intelligent than her half-wit husband. She would've had no problem getting into this country without her husband's influence.

No one has actually said how the merit system is racist. They’re pretty much all responses that acknowledge how we aren’t getting the best from other countries, but it’s racist to do anything about it.

(10-12-2017, 12:41 AM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: No one has actually said how the merit system is racist. They’re pretty much all responses that acknowledge how we aren’t getting the best from other countries, but it’s racist to do anything about it.

The ones calling it racist seem to think that people with brown skin aren’t smart enough or hard working enough to get in on their merit.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Is there anything to be said for letting more poor people in to use as a food source?

(10-12-2017, 01:06 AM)JackCity Wrote: Is there anything to be said for letting more poor people in to use as a food source?

Not until they come out with some really good recipes first.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(10-12-2017, 01:06 AM)JackCity Wrote: Is there anything to be said for letting more poor people in to use as a food source?

[Image: tumblr_m37o6jFPwW1rpvum9o1_500.gif]

(This post was last modified: 10-12-2017, 08:30 AM by TJBender.)

(10-12-2017, 01:03 AM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(10-12-2017, 12:41 AM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: No one has actually said how the merit system is racist. They’re pretty much all responses that acknowledge how we aren’t getting the best from other countries, but it’s racist to do anything about it.

The ones calling it racist seem to think that people with brown skin aren’t smart enough or hard working enough to get in on their merit.
No, it's that I think the system will be twisted to ensure that even the many that would get in on merit still won't be allowed entry.

(10-12-2017, 08:30 AM)TJBender Wrote:
(10-12-2017, 01:03 AM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: The ones calling it racist seem to think that people with brown skin aren’t smart enough or hard working enough to get in on their merit.
No, it's that I think the system will be twisted to ensure that even the many that would get in on merit still won't be allowed entry.

OK, so you think the system isn’t racist, but Republicans willuse it that way? I’m not sure how you think it’ll happen if the system is based on numbers.

(This post was last modified: 10-12-2017, 10:03 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(10-12-2017, 08:57 AM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:
(10-12-2017, 08:30 AM)TJBender Wrote: No, it's that I think the system will be twisted to ensure that even the many that would get in on merit still won't be allowed entry.

OK, so you think the system isn’t racist, but Republicans willuse it that way? I’m not sure how you think it’ll happen if the system is based on numbers.

I'm not sure how you think numbers can't be manipulated to reach a desired outcome.

(This post was last modified: 10-12-2017, 10:58 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

[quote pid='1042442' dateline='1507761394']
(10-11-2017, 04:16 PM)FBT Wrote: It's a point system based on very specific criteria.  It doesn't matter if you're Eastern European or Mexican or African or Chinese.  These are people who have the potential to become high income earners in our system, which helps the permanent under class that you liberals are so fond of propping up instead of giving them a hand up.  It helps a growing economy so that those who are living in government induced poverty can elevate their status if they want to do so.  So, it makes sense a liberal would be opposed because it would chip away at your base.

[/quote]
I agree that it's not about race so I'll be specific in the fact that I think we need minimum wage workers just as much as we need persons in other professional industries.  If we want our hostel (e.g. hotel housekeeping, etc.) and agricultural (e.g. farming) to succeed in the the US we need heavy contribution from the outside whether it be mexicans, indians, asians or whatever.  Our kids today don't want to support those industries so 10-20 years from now we're going to need significant contribution from the outside -- kind of like we're currently getting in California and Florida

I kind of like your macro-level thinking that everyone ultimately benefits but I just don't want to see IT geeks and Engineers ONLY coming to the US although it seems to be happening tremendously in corp america right now.

(10-12-2017, 01:03 AM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:

"hard working enough" --- thanks for adding that as I think a lot of people think merit is specific to wealth and education

(10-11-2017, 09:21 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

Regardless of my hatred for Trump, Melania studied Design and Photography in her native land and she speaks 6 languages. The woman is pretty bright. Personally, I believe she is much more intelligent than her half-wit husband. She would've had no problem getting into this country without her husband's influence.

lol ... you just have to say you studied "Design and Photography" and you're in? Great.

I think she studied Trophy Wife 101 and passed with flying colors. I guess a rich moron is better than an middle class moron.
The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

(10-12-2017, 11:16 AM)Adam2012 Wrote:
(10-11-2017, 09:21 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Regardless of my hatred for Trump, Melania studied Design and Photography in her native land and she speaks 6 languages. The woman is pretty bright. Personally, I believe she is much more intelligent than her half-wit husband. She would've had no problem getting into this country without her husband's influence.

lol ... you just have to say you studied "Design and Photography" and you're in? Great.

I think she studied Trophy Wife 101 and passed with flying colors. I guess a rich moron is better than an middle class moron.

Got to love playing that what-if game as an excuse to denigrate with the term "moron." If that doesn't work, be sexist and go with "Trophy Wife."
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]