Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
iPhone 8+ vs Galaxy S8

So I'm eligible to upgrade my work phone and these are my options. I'm an Android guy all day, have had Apple before though. 

I'm looking at comparisons and while the iPhone seems to be faster in general, is there really any feature that would sway me back to the dark side that I should look at?

I'm going to Verizon this afternoon to get hands on with both.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

i have a galaxy s7 edge which i'm sticking with.

my wife just upgraded from a galaxy 5 to a galaxy S8 plus and loves it. she always stated she was switching to the i-phone but loved the samsung especially now that they're close in comparison to the picture quality.

daughter has iphone 6 (and is sticking with I-phone) and son has galaxy s7 edge and each love their phones

.... FWIW the verizon worker was really talking up the galaxy but i know i-phone people love theirs as well so i don't think you can go wrong either way. i started samsung simply because the i-phone screens used to be so small

I had a Galaxy S6, liked it ok, wasn't crazy about the Samsung tie-ins. Probably not recent enough to help you compare, never had an iphone. The lack of a headphone jack would bug me.

I do like my new LG G6, I'm comfortable with Android. Nice dual rear camera, the glass cover for which I've already cracked.

Hope this all helps.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

I love iMessage too much. Just about everyone I usually text with has an Iphone so it makes it a lot easier.

Loved my old Galaxy BTW. You really can't go wrong.

After going to Verizon I think I've decided on the S8. It's a lot better than the S7, even if Samsung does have the dumb bloatware in it.

I played around with the iPhone 8 a bit and well.... It's an iPhone.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

if your droid i'd stick with droid or hold out and get an X.

I currently have a lg g6 which was half off and I love this phone. It is kinda nice to not do the which is better thing and play on the other platform.
Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine

Look into Chinese phones they have for sale..
You can get incredibly high spec phones, with better batteries at much lower prices than a Samsung or iPhone. Usually around 200/300 dollars cheaper for similar specs.

Shop around and you can get some really good deals.

Well this phone is from my employer and they have very limited selections. I can't pick any phone I want. If I could I'd get the Pixel XL 2. They won't offer the iPhone X for us either.

My choices are literally S7 or S8 and iPhone 6/7/8
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

I personally don't like an "I" anything.  I had an iPhone once... and hated it.  It wasn't so much the device, it's the fact that I don't want to use "iTunes" in order to manage content on my phone.  Granted, this might have changed since I gave an Apple device a try... I don't know.

The other problem that I had with an iPhone is that there is no support for somebody that uses Linux as their desktop OS, which is what I use.

Finally, just my opinion "I" anything seems to be a "hipster" kind of thing, at least in my experience.  I stopped being "hip" 20+ years ago.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(10-05-2017, 10:38 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I personally don't like an "I" anything.  I had an iPhone once... and hated it.  It wasn't so much the device, it's the fact that I don't want to use "iTunes" in order to manage content on my phone.  Granted, this might have changed since I gave an Apple device a try... I don't know.

The other problem that I had with an iPhone is that there is no support for somebody that uses Linux as their desktop OS, which is what I use.

Finally, just my opinion "I" anything seems to be a "hipster" kind of thing, at least in my experience.  I stopped being "hip" 20+ years ago.

Generally in the same boat. I hate the forced nature of that good forsaken iTunes. I haven't had an iPhone since the 5, so I wasn't sure if the updates were anything significant, and from what I could tell, they weren't. It may have a faster processor, but that's about it. The S8 is significantly sleeker and comfortable in my hand. Plus, Android. 

Literally the only real issue I have with Samsung phones is the pre-installed bloatware and their stupid "TouchWiz" interface. I'm honestly surprised they haven't offered a bare bones model yet, though that's the appeal of the Pixel
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(10-05-2017, 07:15 PM)JackCity Wrote: Look into Chinese phones they have for sale..
You can get incredibly high spec phones, with better batteries at much lower prices than a Samsung or iPhone. Usually around 200/300 dollars cheaper for similar specs.

Shop around and you can get some really good deals.

Can't.  We're no longer importing from China.

(10-05-2017, 10:38 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I personally don't like an "I" anything.  I had an iPhone once... and hated it.  It wasn't so much the device, it's the fact that I don't want to use "iTunes" in order to manage content on my phone.  Granted, this might have changed since I gave an Apple device a try... I don't know.

I'll be out of town, will you keep the kids off my lawn?
- Bob Marley

I stick with droid because I like custom roms that have no bloatware, better battery management and allows for more customization

(10-08-2017, 12:48 PM)rollerjag Wrote:

I'll be out of town, will you keep the kids off my lawn?

Nope.  Deal with it.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I went from a Samsung S4 to an iPhone 7 Plus. I love it. iTunes isn't an issue because I don't have music on my phone. It suits my needs just fine and I can face time with my grandson.  Wink

#neverapple
Jaguars | Pacers | Purdue | Team USA

(10-05-2017, 03:47 PM)rollerjag Wrote: I had a Galaxy S6, liked it ok, wasn't crazy about the Samsung tie-ins. Probably not recent enough to help you compare, never had an iphone. The lack of a headphone jack would bug me.

I do like my new LG G6, I'm comfortable with Android. Nice dual rear camera, the glass cover for which I've already cracked.

Hope this all helps.

iPhone does have a headphone jack technically speaking.  The charging port serves that purpose, and with a cheap adapter, you can charge and use your ear buds if desired.

I've been inclined to prefer the iPhone simply because I've got everything tied into my iTunes account so it's just easy.  I just replaced an I7 Plus that got destroyed at the game on Sunday  The new I8Plus is a nice phone.  Significantly faster than the last iteration.  Added wireless charging among other new features.  There were some kinks to work out initially because Apple was rushing out the 8 before the IOS was fully baked, but I think they've gotten much of that worked out 3 updates into the process.

I think it's just a preference thing.  I've used Android for work, but even my company switched over to iPhones last year.  I liked the interface, but I'm just so used to Apple products that I was happy when they switched..
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Pixel 2 of course
Jaguars | Pacers | Purdue | Team USA

(10-18-2017, 09:01 AM)FBT Wrote:
(10-05-2017, 03:47 PM)rollerjag Wrote: I had a Galaxy S6, liked it ok, wasn't crazy about the Samsung tie-ins. Probably not recent enough to help you compare, never had an iphone. The lack of a headphone jack would bug me.

Hope this all helps.

iPhone does have a headphone jack technically speaking.  The charging port serves that purpose, and with a cheap adapter, you can charge and use your ear buds if desired.

I wasn't aware of this feature, good to know.
- Bob Marley

(10-19-2017, 09:01 AM)Browntrouser Wrote: Pixel 2 of course

Not one of my options unfortunately since it's my work phone. I mentioned above that they only offer select phones.

I received my S8 last week and I'm extremely happy with it. Improves on the S7 in every way IMO.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS