Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Fournette = Trent Richardson?

(10-09-2017, 05:17 PM)Firesky Wrote: I love how every running back that comes through here inevitably gets compared to Freddy T. If anything Fournette is a bigger version of MJD. has POWER, speed, great pad level, great out of the backfield and a nose for the mark in short yardage and goal line situations. I'm amazed that no one else sees the parallels yet.

Of the two Jaguars staples, I agree, much more like a giant MJD.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

He reminds me of Curtis Martin but with WAY more power, and a bit more speed. Upright runner with great vision, who knows when to lower the pads, but could use more elusiveness.

I think he’ll be great for a long time.

I don’t get the Freddy comparisons at all though. Freddy did things that no one other than Jim Brown ever did at his size. Barry Sanders is the only other RB to have similar # of carries and post a 4.6 ypc average. And even outside of numbers, I’ve never seen anyone, anywhere, match Freddy in the eye-test.

Sayers had the smoothness and instincts, Sanders had the lethal cut/elusiveness, Bettis had the power, Smith had the longevity/consistency, many have had the speed...

Freddy combined them all. To my eyes he’s still almost incomparable.

I love Leonard thus far though, what he’s done against stacked boxes is nothing short of incredible. And he’s been great receiving too. If he gets better in pass protection he’ll approach being flawless. Not tryin to take away from the young man by expressing my admiration for Fred. But Fred was somethin else. A true honor to watch.

He reminds me of Hershel Walker. Bell cow runner with speed and power who runs slightly upright and is underrated as a pass catcher.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

Back on topic, let's see if we can get a proper list of similarities between Fournette and Richardson going. I'll start...

1. They both play or have played RB in the NFL
2. They are both African-American.
3. Their listed weight is roughly the same at 228 lbs and 229 lbs respectively.
4. They both played college ball in the SEC West.
5. They were both picked in the top 5 picks of their respective drafts.
6. Hmm... anyone else have anything?

(10-12-2017, 10:27 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: Back on topic, let's see if we can get a proper list of similarities between Fournette and Richardson going.  I'll start...

1.  They both play or have played RB in the NFL
2.  They are both African-American.
3.  Their listed weight is roughly the same at 228 lbs and 229 lbs respectively.
4.  They both played college ball in the SEC West.
5.  They were both picked in the top 5 picks of their respective drafts.
6.  Hmm...  anyone else have anything?

They both have an 'o' in their last names...

(10-12-2017, 10:34 AM)scottyg Wrote:
(10-12-2017, 10:27 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: Back on topic, let's see if we can get a proper list of similarities between Fournette and Richardson going.  I'll start...

1.  They both play or have played RB in the NFL
2.  They are both African-American.
3.  Their listed weight is roughly the same at 228 lbs and 229 lbs respectively.
4.  They both played college ball in the SEC West.
5.  They were both picked in the top 5 picks of their respective drafts.
6.  Hmm...  anyone else have anything?

They both have an 'o' in their last names...

Along with an 'e' and 'r' somewhere in their first name. 

Coincidence? I think not... too many similarities here. They are practically the same person.

hey OP.

Step on something sharp.
If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

So we're another year in, how's everyone feeling about LF now?

(12-08-2018, 10:39 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: So we're another year in, how's everyone feeling about LF now?

I feel like if he had an offensive line in front of him, he'd be very effective.

(12-08-2018, 10:39 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: So we're another year in, how's everyone feeling about LF now?

I feel the exact same way I felt about him in March of 2017. 

A one cut powerback that will hit an occasional homerun behind a good line -  needs a runway and doesn't improvise well. 
Big gamble in the top ten. 
A gamble we are clearly losing on atm.

Richardson is still a very bad comparison.

Fragile Freddy meet Limping Leonard.

(12-08-2018, 10:43 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:

I feel the exact same way I felt about him in March of 2017. 

A one cut powerback that will hit an occasional homerun behind a good line -  needs a runway and doesn't improvise well. 

Is it? Richardson's biggest problem was terrible vision and not much of a tackle breaker. Essentially they have the exact same issues, just that fournette can run faster at top speed.

(12-08-2018, 11:05 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(12-08-2018, 10:43 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I feel the exact same way I felt about him in March of 2017. 

Is it? 

Yes. 

Just watching them play - you see two different athletes. They don't look the same. 

In three playoff games with the colts Richardson had 4 carries for one yard. 

In three playoff games with the Jags Fournette had 282 all purpose yards and 4 touchdowns. 

Let's get real here.  Fournette was not a wise top ten selection. But he's no Trent [BLEEP] Richardson.

(This post was last modified: 12-08-2018, 11:30 AM by SamusAranX.)

(12-08-2018, 11:11 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(12-08-2018, 11:05 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: Is it? 

Yes. 

Just watching them play - you see two different athletes. They don't look the same. 

In three playoff games with the Jags Fournette had 282 all purpose yards and 4 touchdowns. 

Let's get real here.  Fournette was not a wise top ten selection. But he's no Trent [BLEEP] Richardson.

He may not be quite into bust territory yet but it’s abundantly clear now he was quite over drafted

(12-08-2018, 11:11 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(12-08-2018, 11:05 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: Is it? 

Yes. 

Cherry picking the playoffs is much too small a sample size to draw any useful conclusion between them.

The most telling thing about Trent Richardson is that a lot of people thought he'd be good in Indianapolis and that his problem was loaded boxes in Cleveland. Turns out he just wasn't a good running back.

I get a strong feeling Fournette will be lumped in with him in a few more seasons.

(12-08-2018, 11:23 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(12-08-2018, 11:11 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Yes. 

Cherry picking the playoffs is much too small a sample size to draw any useful conclusion between them.

The most telling thing about Trent Richardson is that a lot of people thought he'd be good in Indianapolis and that his problem was loaded boxes in Cleveland. Turns out he just wasn't a good running back.

I get a strong feeling Fournette will be lumped in with him in a few more seasons.

LOL

Whatever.  That's not cherry picking. 
That's a clear illustration that one can be a useful back in the NFL and one simply cannot.
Bad comparison.

(12-08-2018, 11:25 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(12-08-2018, 11:23 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: Cherry picking the playoffs is much too small a sample size to draw any useful conclusion between them.

LOL

That's a clear illustration that one can be a useful back in the NFL and one simply cannot.
Bad comparison.

Really? We could talk about Fournette's last ten carries of the playoffs last year to make a point about how ineffective he could be over a few carries, but what does that really show?

His playoffs performance from last year really says a lot more about how bad the Steelers defense was in that game than anything else.

(12-08-2018, 11:40 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(12-08-2018, 11:25 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: LOL

Bad comparison.

Really? We could talk about Fournette's last ten carries of the playoffs last year to make a point about how ineffective he could be over a few carries, but what does that really show?

His playoffs performance from last year really says a lot more about how bad the Steelers defense was in that game than anything else.

Oh dear God. 

You don't think the colts only giving t-rich 4 carries over three playoff games while LF27 got 70+ touches over an identical stretch speaks to the effectiveness of one player compared to the other?? 

C'mon.  It's a bad comp. Give it up.  Plenty to gripe about within reason. Richardson failed to function as an NFL RB epically -- Fournette struggles without good blocking and can't improvise but can still be a functional piece of an offense with occasional HRs.    Apples and oranges.

(12-08-2018, 11:49 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(12-08-2018, 11:40 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: Really? We could talk about Fournette's last ten carries of the playoffs last year to make a point about how ineffective he could be over a few carries, but what does that really show?

Oh dear God. 

You don't think the colts only giving t-rich 4 carries over three playoff games while LF27 got 70+ touches over an identical stretch speaks to the effectiveness of one player compared to the other?? 

C'mon.  It's a bad comp. Give it up.  Plenty to gripe about within reason. Richardson failed to function as an NFL RB epically -- Fournette struggles without good blocking and can't improvise but can still be a functional piece of an offense with occasional HRs.    Apples and oranges.

I believe it actually says more about the QBs on each team than the running backs, but take from it what you will.

(12-08-2018, 12:00 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(12-08-2018, 11:49 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Oh dear God. 

I believe it actually says more about the QBs on each team than the running backs, but take from it what you will.

If Leonard Fournette falls off the same cliff of complete uselessness that Richardson did, then get back in here, resurrect your pet thread, and pat yourself on the back till the cows come home. I'll celebrate your victory and deprecate my own posts with great fervor. 

Until then...  bad comp.