Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Imagine if this team had a consistently average QB

(This post was last modified: 10-09-2017, 10:13 AM by StroudCrowd1.)

(10-09-2017, 10:08 AM)spacecoastjag Wrote:
(10-08-2017, 09:11 PM)VisitingCobra Wrote: I'm trying to think how Garrard would do on this team.  2007 season?

But then again, there are some things Bortles does better than Garrard did in his days.

Yeah, try every throw but a slant. That's all Garrard could do.

Just a word of advice, you aren't allowed to make fun of other QB's abilities when you are supporting Bortles' abilities. It's a bad look.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(10-09-2017, 09:03 AM)BklynJag Wrote: Hear me out, What if we traded for Eli Manning. The Giants are 0-5 and season is done. Coughlin is familiar with him. With protection, Manning is an accurate QB. Giants feel the QB they drafted might be something. Maybe a 3rd or 4th rounder can bring Eli here.

I'd much rather have Bortles this year and Alex Smith from next year forward than Eli Manning from now forward.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(10-09-2017, 03:21 AM)jrvegeeta Wrote: I am coming to the realization that Bortles isn't right for this team....but I get the feeling that if he goes to some place like Arizona or New Orleans, he's going to end up playing like a different QB than he did here. Hell, Brees threw just as many picks during his time in SD as Bortles did. Excluding his rookie year, which he didn't even see the field, he threw 53 INTs. SD felt that was too many and let him walk.

And before someone says it, yes, I have a right to compare them - nobody thought Brees was going to win a super bowl with NO and be an eventual HoFer.

Some players are late bloomers that require going to another team, usually to someone who can fix whatever issues they had during their time with their previous team. If you think Bruce Arians can't fix Bortles' mechanics, then you really don't understand why Carson Palmer has played better in Arizona than in any other cities he's played for.

I tried to explain this to people for years. Coaching is everything. Look at the difference of Marrone/Coughlin vs Gus Bradley. 

Neither Gus or Marrone are QB gurus/OC's. I like Marrone a lot but if Bortles went to Arians, Belichick, Payton, Shanahan, Gruden, or anywhere with an offensive mind, he could do great. 

On the flip side, these posters don't realize that Alex Smith WITHOUT Andy Reid is NOT a good QB.

(This post was last modified: 10-09-2017, 10:22 AM by BklynJag.)

(10-09-2017, 10:03 AM)spacecoastjag Wrote: This brooklyn guy is a wind up doll. ANY QB is going to struggle when you run, run, pass on 3rd and long with zero WRs every game, all game. The OC is awful. Most passing situations are always in 3rd and long.

Alex smith is not good because of Alex Smith. Alex Smith is good because of Andy Reid. I'm looking forward to watching the next QB in Jacksonville be WORSE than Bortles so the inept posters will actually get a clue.

Bortles is doing everything the Jags are asking of him; managing the game. The Jags RIGHT NOW have the worst receiving corps in the league. Dede should help that later on but right now they aren't good.

And to educate you, Bortles led the game winning drive vs. the Jets. Marquise Lee lost that game. Bortles should be 4-1 despite the defense giving up over 300 rushing yards.

Wow, you are blind. First off, we do not have the worst WR core in the league, just stop. Outside of t Titans game, Hackett has been calling good games, I mean he has Blake as QB, he could only do so much.

(10-09-2017, 10:11 AM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(10-09-2017, 09:03 AM)BklynJag Wrote: Hear me out, What if we traded for Eli Manning. The Giants are 0-5 and season is done. Coughlin is familiar with him. With protection, Manning is an accurate QB. Giants feel the QB they drafted might be something. Maybe a 3rd or 4th rounder can bring Eli here.

I'd much rather have Bortles this year and Alex Smith from next year forward than Eli Manning from now forward.

True, but there is no guarantee we get Alex Smith. He is the MVP of the league right now so far this season, don't see Kansas City parting with him so fast.

(This post was last modified: 10-09-2017, 10:36 AM by spacecoastjag.)

Eli Manning CAREER INT rate  3.1%    with a 59.9% completion %

Blake Bortles CAREER INT rate  3.0%  with a 58.5% completion %

Yeah, real huge upgrade there. Eli was good because he had Tom Coughlin, a running game, and a defense for most of his career. The same reason Bortles is (3-2) this year and should be (4-1).

(10-09-2017, 10:08 AM)jessepeck1213 Wrote:
(10-09-2017, 10:03 AM)spacecoastjag Wrote: This brooklyn guy is a wind up doll. ANY QB is going to struggle when you run, run, pass on 3rd and long with zero WRs every game, all game. The OC is awful. Most passing situations are always in 3rd and long.

Alex smith is not good because of Alex Smith. Alex Smith is good because of Andy Reid. I'm looking forward to watching the next QB in Jacksonville be WORSE than Bortles so the inept posters will actually get a clue.

Bortles is doing everything the Jags are asking of him; managing the game. The Jags RIGHT NOW have the worst receiving corps in the league. Dede should help that later on but right now they aren't good.

And to educate you, Bortles led the game winning drive vs. the Jets. Marquise Lee lost that game. Bortles should be 4-1 despite the defense giving up over 300 rushing yards.

Give it up, dude. Last year it was the scoring defense, this year it's the receivers and OC. Bortles just isn't that good.

What are you talking about? Bortles is 3-2 and should be 4-1. He will be here next year too.

(10-09-2017, 08:24 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Even though Bortles is God-awful, I will give credit where it is due. He has reduced his game changing, back bre4aking turnovers. If he continues that, we will certainly win 7 or 8 games this year.

^ This. I'm really happy so far by the way Bortles has been smarter with the ball. He's doing a much better job this year of throwing the ball away when needed, and using his legs instead of forcing an errant throw (the run he made yesterday when he dove head-first to get a crucial 1st down was an awesome play). 

Aside from that boneheaded INT vs the Jets, with a defender right in front of him which gave the Jets 3 points,  Bortles has been MUCH better so far with decisions. 

His accuracy however is still a concern, no doubt. The announcer yesterday (Rich Gannon? I think) mentioned that he couldn't understand why PITT would be playing a zone defense against Bortles. Playing zone against him gives BB much wider areas to throw a ball into, taking away the need to be very accurate most of the time. 
 Gannon said that because of Bortles' accuracy issues, teams should be playing man coverage, which would make it much tougher for Bortles to succeed unless he could improve accuracy.

(This post was last modified: 10-09-2017, 10:36 AM by spacecoastjag.)

(10-09-2017, 10:18 AM)BklynJag Wrote:

Wow, you are blind. First off, we do not have the worst WR core in the league, just stop. Outside of t Titans game, Hackett has been calling good games, I mean he has Blake as QB, he could only do so much.

Which receiving core currently in the league is WORSE than Hurns/Lee? I mean Lee leads the NFL in drops and Hurns has zero breakaway ability to beat a corner. Guy is a possession WR.  Marquise Lee wouldn't be starting for ANY other team in the league and Hurns almost got cut in camp. Go ahead homer and name one team............

(10-09-2017, 10:07 AM)Frailbones Wrote:

Bortles threw the ball once in the 2nd half dude. Once.

Bortles is not good and the team wins games without him. I mean he threw for 95 yards and they won 30-9.....

^WOW, I didn't realize that. 

One pass? One pass?! 

Winning with a stellar defense and a rushing attck, I LOVE IT!   That's playoff season type of football right there.

(This post was last modified: 10-09-2017, 10:46 AM by The Real Marty.)

(10-09-2017, 10:37 AM)jagherd Wrote:
(10-09-2017, 10:07 AM)Frailbones Wrote: Bortles threw the ball once in the 2nd half dude. Once.

Bortles is not good and the team wins games without him. I mean he threw for 95 yards and they won 30-9.....

^WOW, I didn't realize that. 

One pass? One pass?! 

Winning with a stellar defense and a rushing attck, I LOVE IT!   That's playoff season type of football right there.

One pass in the entire second half.   Not even a completed pass.   3 whole plays in the 3rd quarter.  No first downs in the 3rd quarter.   18 straight running plays to close out the game.  

Unbelievable.   I laugh every time I think about it. 

When Marrone answered the question, "How many times do you want Blake to throw the ball?"   And he answered, "Zero."  He was SERIOUS.

(This post was last modified: 10-09-2017, 10:47 AM by spacecoastjag.)

(10-09-2017, 10:11 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(10-09-2017, 10:08 AM)spacecoastjag Wrote: Yeah, try every throw but a slant. That's all Garrard could do.

Just a word of advice, you aren't allowed to make fun of other QB's abilities when you are supporting Bortles' abilities. It's a bad look.

Bortles has all of the records in franchise history at age 25. I'll support Coughlin's choice as Jags QB over some mindless internet warriors. You clowns can bring up Alex Smith, Cousins, Tebow, Kaepernick, and Brandon Allen every week. I'll support Bortles and the WINNING because Coughlin knew what needed to be done with a head coach, a top 10 scoring defense, and a running game----everything I've said the past 2 years and everything Garrard had.

(10-09-2017, 10:45 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(10-09-2017, 10:37 AM)jagherd Wrote: ^WOW, I didn't realize that. 

One pass? One pass?! 

One pass in the entire second half.   Not even a completed pass.   3 whole plays in the 3rd quarter.  No first downs in the 3rd quarter.   18 straight running plays to close out the game.  

When Marrone answered the question, "How many times do you want Blake to throw the ball?"   And he answered, "Zero."  He was SERIOUS.

That's awesome! Heck yeah he was serious. If a team doesn't have to do anything but smother on defense and smash-mouth rushing,, why in the world wouldn't they just do that? 

Good stuff.

(This post was last modified: 10-09-2017, 10:49 AM by spacecoastjag.)

(10-09-2017, 10:45 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(10-09-2017, 10:37 AM)jagherd Wrote: ^WOW, I didn't realize that. 

One pass? One pass?! 

Of course. Marrone is from George O'Leary Georgia Tech coaching tree of smash mouth football. That's why he and Coughlin get along so well. It doesn't matter who the QB is....they know what wins football games unlike Gus Bradley---a top scoring defense and a running game.

(10-09-2017, 10:45 AM)spacecoastjag Wrote:
(10-09-2017, 10:11 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Just a word of advice, you aren't allowed to make fun of other QB's abilities when you are supporting Bortles' abilities. It's a bad look.

Bortles has all of the records in franchise history at age 25. I'll support Coughlin's choice as Jags QB over some mindless internet warriors. You clowns can bring up Alex Smith, Cousins, Tebow, Kaepernick, and Brandon Allen every week. I'll support Bortles and the WINNING because Coughlin knew what needed to be done with a head coach, a top 10 scoring defense, and a running game----everything I've said the past 2 years and everything Garrard had.
You act like Coughlin had a choice. It was Bortles because there was no one else better available.

Next year however? Rookie class looks promising and there could be some good FAs available.

The team is winning without good QB play which is not a recipe for long term success in the NFL. Bortles had a great game against Baltimore but outside of that, he's been average to below average.

(10-09-2017, 10:49 AM)spacecoastjag Wrote:
(10-09-2017, 10:45 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: One pass in the entire second half.   Not even a completed pass.   3 whole plays in the 3rd quarter.  No first downs in the 3rd quarter.   18 straight running plays to close out the game.  

Of course. Marrone is from George O'Leary Georgia Tech coaching tree of smash mouth football. That's why he and Coughlin get along so well. It doesn't matter who the QB is....they know what wins football games unlike Gus Bradley---a top scoring defense and a running game.

They know you need a good QB too.  Coughlin has not had crappy QBs in the NFL. 

We will have a better QB on the roster next year.  They just couldn't fix everything this year.

Bortles is a great qb in london. his only place with a winning record is in london. 3-1 record in london. I know jags have had 5 games in london,but one game was with henne at qb.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

(10-09-2017, 11:11 AM)Jest101 Wrote:
(10-09-2017, 10:49 AM)spacecoastjag Wrote:   

They know you need a good QB too.  Coughlin has not had crappy QBs in the NFL. 

We will have a better QB on the roster next year.  They just couldn't fix everything this year.

That's what YOU think. Coughlin will be drafting ALL o-line, defense, and WRs. Book it.

(10-09-2017, 11:23 AM)spacecoastjag Wrote:
(10-09-2017, 11:11 AM)Jest101 Wrote: They know you need a good QB too.  Coughlin has not had crappy QBs in the NFL. 

That's what YOU think. Coughlin will be drafting ALL o-line, defense, and WRs. Book it.

I bet that they will draft a QB at some point next year. However, idk if they'll play a rookie right away, especially if the Jags are successful this year with their defense and running attack. If they look good, and eye next season as a "we can go far right now" expectation, they'll probably start a veteran QB (whether it be Bortles or someone else).   Just my opinion.

But yes,, O-line and WR should be drafted (even though the O-line is playing terrific so far),, and maybe some interior DL guys. Campbell and Jackson can't play forever.

lol Bortles is gone next year. Aint no way they're paying big money to a guy to hand the ball off most of the game. Coughlin preaches ball security and Bortles is the walking opposite of that.

Marrone took Kyle Orton to the playoffs. We're game planning around Bortles until FA or the draft.

What type of contract would you offer Alex Smith? He'll be 34 next year, so 4 year/$80 million? Don't have to force a pick on a QB in the draft. If someone they like is there in the mid/late 1st or 2nd round from 2018-2020, select him, but it won't be a desperation pick.

(10-09-2017, 12:31 PM)git\er_done Wrote: What type of contract would you offer Alex Smith? He'll be 34 next year, so 4 year/$80 million? Don't have to force a pick on a QB in the draft. If someone they like is there in the mid/late 1st or 2nd round from 2018-2020, select him, but it won't be a desperation pick.
I'm not so sure Smith will even be available next year.

Chiefs look really good and if they go to the AFC Championship game, are they really going to just let him walk?