Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Trade for Eli?

(10-10-2017, 01:52 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: https://www.google.com/amp/s/nyg.247spor...682251/Amp

For purposes of just discussion how would you guys feel about this move? 

They are discussing this topic on 1010xl. 

What do you think would take to make this move? How would you feel about this move. 

Personally I would say no but it is an intriguing idea once I actually thought about it objectively.

I would not.

There is an understandable urgency to ensure this team's ability to succeed at the highest level is achieved.    There is a limit to how much this team can achieve with little to no production at the team's most important position.  The status quo keeps that limit in place.  On the other hand, acquiring a QB like Manning would presumably remove that limit, or at least raise the ceiling of possibilities this team can achieve.

However, there are also questions regarding how high and for how long that ceiling would be raised by acquiring someone like Manning.

First there is the obvious concern about how high he could lift that ceiling.  Yes, Eli Manning has the resume that would make him an attractive candidate for QB here.  However, with those accomplishments-which includes two Super Bowl championships-there comes 14 years of experience.  The immutable laws of football physics apply to QBs, too, including Manning.  How much has those laws (time and years of punishment) impacted him?  How much of the Giants' failures in this 0-5 start are attributable to him and diminishing skills?  If he is unable to overcome the talent shortcomings on the Giants, how would he do that with the Jaguars?  Furthermore, he would be coming to the Jaguars in mid-season in this scenario.  While RBs like Herschel Walker and Eric Dickerson could be able to make a mid season move quite seamlessly, to perform at a high level, a QB would have to have a command of the entire offense.  His intelligence is not questioned, but there is legitimate concern about how much offense could he pick up in mid-season and be effective as the Jaguars' starter?

All of this presumes he'd want to play for the Jaguars in the first place.  While the talent in Jacksonville is finally at a level that should enable the team to contend, we are talking about the same guy who forced a draft day trade because he did not want to play for the Chargers.  Who is to say he wouldn't feel similar apprehension about playing for the Jaguars?  Who is to say he wouldn't be turned off by the idea of playing in Jacksonville after his entire career living in New York, or being alienated by the lack of loyalty after all of those years as a Giant?  Perhaps under those circumstances, Manning might retire rather than be traded here.

Furthermore, even overcoming these considerations for this year, what of the longer term?  Even if he completed this season with the Jaguars, how much longer could he be expected to play, and at what level?  He would have to be brought here with his salary.  What would that do to the Jaguars' ability to retain key free agents in 2018 (T. Smith, M. Lee, A. Robinson) and beyond?

The price for acquiring a player like Manning is also a concern.  A head coach that has been losing with him and is clearly on the hot seat might be reluctant, to say the least, to trade away an experienced, accomplished QB like Manning.  He has won at a higher level than any Giants QB dating back at least to Y.A. Tittle.  He is about as close to a Giants' icon at the position than anyone.  Aside from dealing away the player that seemingly represents his best chance to turn things around to the pint he can save his own job, he wouldn't want to be known as the guy who traded away Manning (even though the Giants have a GM).  Under those circumstances, the Giants would inflate the cost for acquiring him.

I just don't think trading for him would have the short term benefits and longer term value those who advocate dealing for him envision.

This is not to say the team could not benefit from an upgrade at QB.  I just think the position would best be upgraded with a younger player.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 10-10-2017, 10:21 PM by D6.)

(10-10-2017, 02:41 PM)JackCity Wrote: A washed 37 who might play a other year or two? No. Especially given they'll want a 1st or a 2nd.

I would be very surprised if the Giants would trade Eli Manning for less than a 1st Round pick and something else.

Well...Deion likes the trade.

https://www.facebook.com/NFL/videos/10155652399701263/

Hell I would take Glennon for a 3rd pick.
Jaguars | Pacers | Purdue | Team USA

(10-11-2017, 08:34 AM)Browntrouser Wrote: Hell I would take Glennon for a 3rd pick.

I wouldn't.

(10-11-2017, 08:34 AM)Browntrouser Wrote: Hell I would take Glennon for a 3rd pick.

[Image: steveconfused.gif]

Why?  He sucks

Eli for a 3rd is a no brainer. Of course I would. Possibly even for a 2nd. But I would need atleast 3 more years from him.

The deal is off the table for anything less than 3 years. But I'd still go after a top QB in the draft.

On one of the radio shows the offer of a 2018 3rd rounder and 2019 3rd round for Eli. I would do that in a heat beat. You can still draft a guy in the first round next year to sit behind Eli for the next year or two and still have a second round pick and 5 third day picks. The 2019 draft would literally be BAP the entire draft.

To me it’s kind of a no brained. Eli would still hand the ball of 30 plus times a game just like Blake and the run game would be even more potent because we would have a quality passer. When Eli does throw those 25-30 times agame we are possible getting closer to a 65% completion rate rather than a 55% completion rate. He’s good enough to understand to take what he gets but also can make the deep throws and intermediate throws to have this offense moving. He wouldn’t be the focal point tho.

H would get a bye week in the next 3 weeks and get to work with Westbrook, Hurns, Lee, Strong, Cole Lewis, O’Shaunasse

You realize he is a career 59% passer while Blake is 58%, right? It took Eli like 6 years before he had a season over 60%.

Sixth-round pick. That's it. Maybe a conditional six that escalates to a third-rounder depending on the team's postseason performance. Manning is a QB in very rapid decline.

(10-11-2017, 11:14 PM)TJBender Wrote: Sixth-round pick. That's it. Maybe a conditional six that escalates to a third-rounder depending on the team's postseason performance. Manning is a QB in very rapid decline.

This is about all I would do here.  Manning isn't some huge upgrade and he's old and declining.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

What do you think Coughlin is feeling on this?
Jaguars | Pacers | Purdue | Team USA

Any QB acquired in the offseason would have to learn the playbook, then he'd have to develop some chemistry with the WRs, and those things are supposed to happen in the offseason and training camp.

That's why I would stay with what we have and make the change after the season is over.

The Manning advocacy is predicated on this team being able to reach the Super Bowl with him.

I'm not too sure about that at the moment.

if this team were significantly better against the run, in addition to the pass rushing and ball hawking skills they showed, then I would strongly consider such a move this year. But absent that improvement, making a deal for a guy like Manning would ultimately prove to be a waste of whatever draft pick(s) we gave up in compensation for him.

Make no mistake, this team can stop the run if it wants to do so. Right now they are caught up in the rush and cover persona and selling out for sacks and big plays. I am okay wwith that as long as they make the big plays.

The real issue is the lack of talent on offense. Unless we magically find 3 players for our offensive line, a tight end, and Eli brings ODB with him, the results will remain relatively the same.

I don't see Eli as an answer. The Jaguars have faced the Giants in games where Blake flat out out-played Eli.

I'm thinking even if it means paying Blake his $19 mil for next year that we go ahead and keep riding him. Next year if we can find our future QB early in the draft then go for it, but keep riding Blake until our future is ready to play.
'02

No. Just no.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(10-12-2017, 11:19 AM)Jags02 Wrote: I don't see Eli as an answer. The Jaguars have faced the Giants in games where Blake flat out out-played Eli.

I'm thinking even if it means paying Blake his $19 mil for next year that we go ahead and keep riding him. Next year if we can find our future QB early in the draft then go for it, but keep riding Blake until our future is ready to play.

Under most circumstances, I'd agree with this.

However, I think this defense-if it can improve against the run-can be potentially Super Bowl caliber.

While the team could use an upgrade at G and a younger RT, the team can run the ball well enough to contend.

What it lacks is a trustworthy QB. 

To maximize the open contention window, I think a younger (than the 2004 class), veteran QB is the ideal.

Cousins fits that ideal, but will the skins let him walk?  If so, would they let him walk as a FA or will they require a trade to let him go.

Somehow I do not believe Garoppolo ever leaves New England.  Brady is 40, and there were reports the Pats turned up their noses at Cleveland's offer of their 2nd first round pick (12th pick overall, IIRC).

I think this leaves guys like Dalton, McCarron, maybe Flacco should Baltimore move on from him.

I'm starting to lean toward the idea of using the cap to retain current talent.

That means going for a mid-tier-short-term QB (like Keenum) and drafting a rookie that would start in year two, or even after the bye-week of his rookie year.

Eli is too much of a gamble at this point in his career.