Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Griff's QB Mid-Season Rankings

(11-05-2017, 10:56 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(11-05-2017, 10:20 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Didn't realize Darnold announced he's staying in school

Just have to wait and see, it won't surprise me if we sign Bortles and I doubt Tom and Dave trades away all there high future picks.  One of those QBs will be there when we pick,  I could see 2 of the top 5 being there when we pick

We don't necessarily have to sign Bortles to retain him. He's already locked in at $19 million for next season. All we have to do is just keep him on the roster, but why do that when we could sign FA QB with a better skill set like Josh McCown for a much cheaper price tag? That just doesn't make sense to me. 

As for 2 of the top 5 QB's being there when we pick, you do realize that Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen and Lamar Jackson are all underclassmen? The probability of them all entering the draft is unlikely, especially with Rudolph and Mayfield already looking like they are locked in as first round picks. That would create a lot of competition in round 1. I could easily see Darnold or Rosen, perhaps both staying in school and improving their draft stock for 2019. If that happens, it would create even less of a chance for us to get a franchise QB in this coming draft.

Given the very few needs we have on this team other than QB right now, why not go all in to get a franchise QB? I'd rather overpay now and get our QB for the next 10-12 years rather than sit on our hands and gamble while the window of opportunity slowly shuts. Who knows the next time we'll have this many key pieces in place on our current roster?

Mccown is absolutely horrible. He does not have a better skillset than Blake. In no world do the jags have a better chance of winning with an old, journeyman, backup QB.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-05-2017, 12:05 PM)Achilles Wrote:
(11-05-2017, 10:56 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: We don't necessarily have to sign Bortles to retain him. He's already locked in at $19 million for next season. All we have to do is just keep him on the roster, but why do that when we could sign FA QB with a better skill set like Josh McCown for a much cheaper price tag? That just doesn't make sense to me. 

As for 2 of the top 5 QB's being there when we pick, you do realize that Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen and Lamar Jackson are all underclassmen? The probability of them all entering the draft is unlikely, especially with Rudolph and Mayfield already looking like they are locked in as first round picks. That would create a lot of competition in round 1. I could easily see Darnold or Rosen, perhaps both staying in school and improving their draft stock for 2019. If that happens, it would create even less of a chance for us to get a franchise QB in this coming draft.

Given the very few needs we have on this team other than QB right now, why not go all in to get a franchise QB? I'd rather overpay now and get our QB for the next 10-12 years rather than sit on our hands and gamble while the window of opportunity slowly shuts. Who knows the next time we'll have this many key pieces in place on our current roster?

Mccown is absolutely horrible. He does not have a better skillset than Blake. In no world do the jags have a better chance of winning with an old, journeyman, backup QB.

On a short term basis, while we transition to a rookie QB, I would absolutely take Josh McCown over Bortles. McCown is way more protective of the ball than Bortles and he is more accurate. We're not talking about either as a long term solution. Instead, I definitely wouldn't use either past the 2018 season season. With that in mind, I just don't see paying Bortles $19 million, when he plays like a backup QB and he'd be gone in 2019.

If Bortles plays this way the rest of the season I dont want a QB in the first.

(This post was last modified: 11-05-2017, 07:02 PM by JackCity.)

(11-05-2017, 10:56 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(11-05-2017, 10:20 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Didn't realize Darnold announced he's staying in school

He hasn't said he's entering the draft either. As of right now its far more likely he stays in school. Multiple reports saying thats the case also.

(11-05-2017, 05:54 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: If Bortles plays this way the rest of the season I dont want a QB in the first.

Bortles played great. Has a decent amount of bad defenses down the stretch to show he's worth the option. I think I'd still draft a QB early though.

(This post was last modified: 11-05-2017, 07:16 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(11-05-2017, 07:00 PM)JackCity Wrote: He hasn't said he's entering the draft either. As of right now its far more likely he stays in school. Multiple reports saying thats the case also.

(11-05-2017, 05:54 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: If Bortles plays this way the rest of the season I dont want a QB in the first.

Bortles played great. Has a decent amount of bad defenses down the stretch to show he's worth the option. I think I'd still draft a QB early though.

The Bengals dont have a bad defense. No QB that I recall has said they are entering the draft, Rosen and Jackson could stay as well if they wanted to

(11-05-2017, 07:14 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(11-05-2017, 07:00 PM)JackCity Wrote: He hasn't said he's entering the draft either. As of right now its far more likely he stays in school. Multiple reports saying thats the case also.

The Bengals dont have a bad defense.  No QB that I recall has said they are entering the draft, Rosen and Jackson could stay as well if they wanted to

Nope they're very solid. Bortles had his merry way with them. Some great playcalling by Hackett also.

Yup they usually declare towards the end of the year. So far most reports have said Rosen and Jackson will be declaring.

(11-05-2017, 07:23 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(11-05-2017, 07:14 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: The Bengals dont have a bad defense.  No QB that I recall has said they are entering the draft, Rosen and Jackson could stay as well if they wanted to

Nope they're very solid. Bortles had his merry way with them. Some great playcalling by Hackett also.

Yup they usually declare towards the end of the year. So far most reports have said Rosen and Jackson will be declaring.

The reports mean nothing, all it that is speculation

(11-05-2017, 07:33 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(11-05-2017, 07:23 PM)JackCity Wrote: Nope they're very solid. Bortles had his merry way with them. Some great playcalling by Hackett also.

The reports mean nothing, all it that is speculation

Actually they tend to be pretty accurate most years. Would be a big surprise if Darnold declared this year. Rosen likely won't return with how bad UCLA/Mora are.  Jackson's a bit of wild card but barring injury he seems to be heading this year too.

I wonder what Finley will do. He'd probably make it into the top 2 rounds this year. Staying could make him a top 20 pick or it could make nothing more than a id round guy. Very risky.

(This post was last modified: 11-05-2017, 11:37 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

[Image: head_slap_gif_by_sarah3ddepp-d5jk6xs.gif]

Are you insane? Just because we're beating bad teams, doesn't mean he's the long term answer.

(11-05-2017, 07:14 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

The Bengals dont have a bad defense.  No QB that I recall has said they are entering the draft, Rosen and Jackson could stay as well if they wanted to

Scoring 23 points against the Bengals is not that great of a feat. The Bengals are not a good defense or a bad defense. They are just so-so. What won us the game is a dominant defense.

(11-05-2017, 09:09 PM)JackCity Wrote: I wonder what Finley will do. He'd probably make it into the top 2 rounds this year. Staying could make him a top 20 pick or it could make nothing more than a id round guy. Very risky.

If i'm Finley, I stay in school. The kid has potential. If he keeps improving, I could see him being a high first rounder in 2019. As it stands now, there is already a ton of top tier QB's who should be in this coming draft. He has a much better chance to be taken in round 1, if he opts for another year of college.

(11-05-2017, 11:33 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

[Image: head_slap_gif_by_sarah3ddepp-d5jk6xs.gif]

Are you insane? Just because we're beating bad teams, doesn't mean he's the long term answer.

(11-05-2017, 07:14 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: The Bengals dont have a bad defense.  No QB that I recall has said they are entering the draft, Rosen and Jackson could stay as well if they wanted to

Scoring 23 points against the Bengals is not that great of a feat. The Bengals are not a good defense or a bad defense. They are just so-so. What won us the game is a dominant defense.

The Bengals do have a good defense.  I think you missed the part where I said if he plays like this the rest of the year

(11-06-2017, 12:05 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(11-05-2017, 11:33 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [Image: head_slap_gif_by_sarah3ddepp-d5jk6xs.gif]

The Bengals do have a good defense.  I think you missed the part where I said if he plays like this the rest of the year

No. I didn't miss it. It has taken up until this season for Bortles to start playing like an average QB for a few games. If he continues to play like an average QB, we still need to draft one. Average QB's shouldn't be paid $19 million. Beyond 2019, he'll be an UFA anyways. If we don't take a QB in this draft, we'll be putting ourselves in quite a situation. Even if we do the unthinkable and keep Bortles for 2018, what do we do after that? You certainly don't overpay for Bortles limited skill set, but if you keep him in 2018 at $19 million, he's gonna think he's worth that kind of money on a long term deal. Anybody that would give him that kind of money needs to have their head examined.

Bortles is playing better, which IMO just means we won't need to break the bank on a FA QB next year.
If he keeps it up you can play him at 19 mil but still should draft some insurance... I'd go best QB in the 2nd if this is the path we take.

That way if Bortles falters we have a plan in place for the future. Don't be sold on what could very well be fool's gold.

(11-06-2017, 11:19 AM)Kane Wrote: Bortles is playing better, which IMO just means we won't need to break the bank on a FA QB next year.
If he keeps it up you can play him at 19 mil but still should draft some insurance... I'd go best QB in the 2nd if this is the path we take.

That way if Bortles falters we have a plan in place for the future. Don't be sold on what could very well be fool's gold.

Given with who I believe will be there in the 2nd (Josh Allen, Clayton Thorsen or Luke Falk), I'd rather pass on a QB altogether than take one of those guys. I see bust written all over them. We don't have any other needs so important, that we can't still take a QB in the first round and then select players like a TE in the 2nd and an OG in the 3rd. I consider TE and OG a need, but not major ones. QB is still a major need, even if you don't take into account the 2018 season. Looking at 2019, it'll be a huge need and we can't pass on taking a first round QB in such a great QB class. What if the 2019 QB class sucks and we decide to pass on franchise guys in the 2018 draft? I don't wanna be like the Cleveland Browns.

Just wondering after this past weeks games....

anyone still thinking Mayfield makes it out of the first round?

(11-06-2017, 03:16 PM)Kane Wrote: Just wondering after this past weeks games....

Thinking Rosen/Mayfield/Rudolph are locks in 1st....also think Jackson stays in.

The ones that I watch as guys that might shoot up boards/into the 1st are:  Riley Ferguson - Memphis and Ryan Finley - NC State.

Allen might come back into the 1st if he WOWS in Combine/Pro Day but I see him/Faulk/Ferguson/Finley being the 2nd round QBS.

Think Darnold sees how deep this class is and goes back to school.

So several of the top teams in the NFL are using lots of college style plays and concepts in their offense this year. 

Hopefully we can stop doing the whole "pro style" arguments this year. The NFL and college style are pretty close. Learning to take snaps under center isn't difficult and is practiced alot.

(11-06-2017, 03:16 PM)Kane Wrote: Just wondering after this past weeks games....

I'd be shocked if he wasn't taken in round 1. For one, if he's there when we pick, I'd be running to the podium with his name on my paper.

(This post was last modified: 11-06-2017, 08:24 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(11-06-2017, 07:19 PM)JackCity Wrote: So several of the top teams in the NFL are using lots of college style plays and concepts in their offense this year. 

Hopefully we can stop doing the whole "pro style" arguments this year. The NFL and college style are pretty close. Learning to take snaps under center isn't difficult and is practiced alot.

Just not the style Doug and Tom wants to play

How about this mock?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/27426...-breakdown