Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Griff's QB Mid-Season Rankings

(11-06-2017, 08:19 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(11-06-2017, 07:19 PM)JackCity Wrote: So several of the top teams in the NFL are using lots of college style plays and concepts in their offense this year. 

Hopefully we can stop doing the whole "pro style" arguments this year. The NFL and college style are pretty close. Learning to take snaps under center isn't difficult and is practiced alot.

Just not the style Doug and Tom wants to play 
Our passing scheme is very rudimentary (but effective) and the rest is just handing the ball off. In terms of a QB adjusting from the college game to the NFL our current offense would probably be the easiest transition they'll have at the NFL level.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 11-06-2017, 09:50 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(11-06-2017, 03:16 PM)Kane Wrote: Just wondering after this past weeks games....

anyone still thinking Mayfield makes it out of the first round?

How about this mock?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/27426...-breakdown

I'd be super happy if we ended up with Mayfield!  Big Grin

(11-06-2017, 09:09 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(11-06-2017, 08:19 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Just not the style Doug and Tom wants to play 
Our passing scheme is very rudimentary (but effective) and the rest is just handing the ball off. In terms of a QB adjusting from the college game to the NFL our current offense would probably be the easiest transition they'll have at the NFL level.

Don't you think our passing game is simplified due to the fact that Blake Bortles has struggled so much in the past? I know going forward we want to focus on the run, but I think if we had a QB who was able to handle more, our passing scheme might be a bit more advanced. I truly believe we would like to do more with the passing scheme, but we are limited with the QB we have.

I checked out about 7 different mock drafts (Bleacher Report, S.I., Sporting News, etc.) and it is very surprising how differently these reputable sources rate the quarterback class of 2018. The following q.b.'s were rated #1 by at least one website:

Darnold
Mayfield
Rosen
Rudolph
Jackson
Finley (yes, one site had him 1st)

The teams who are likely to pick a quarterback in the 1st 2 rounds (or add a high-priced free agent like Smith or Cousins) are:

Browns
Jets
Giants
Cardinals
Redskins
Steelers
Chargers
Jaguars

That gives us 8 teams and 8 quarterbacks (including the 2 free agents). It certainly is possible, however, that Darnold and Finley remain in school which would make things more difficult for the Jaguars.

The Jaguars would be crazy, in my opinion, to sign either free agent. Too much money for guys that are slightly above average and who are both around 30 years old already (Smith slightly older). Of the 6 possible draft choices, who is most likely to fall to the Jaguars when they pick somewhere in the mid-20's? It seems that Darnold, Jackson and Rosen will be gone. Rudolph, Mayfield and Finley are most likely to be available with Mayfield being the most unpredictable since some have him actually dropping to the mid 2nd round or later due to his height.

If Bortles is able to maintain his performance level of the previous 2 games, it will certainly complicate this decision.My opinion is that they need to pull the trigger in round 1 this year. Bortles will never be more than a decent game manager who requires a great running game and strong defense to succeed. Of the guys possibly available, Mayfield and Rudolph would be my top choices. Naturally there are concerns about both such as the lack of defense in their conference and the offensive schemes both play in. Despite these concerns, the Jaguars' future would be best by selecting Mayfield. The guy just seems to have the "it" factor. He has traits of Brett Favre and Drew Brees (especially the gunslinger mentality). Brees' lack of height will not stop him from eventually becoming a 1st ballot hall of famer so why can't Mayfield succeed? If he hasn't been selected by around pick 20, the Jags would be wise to trade up and take this potential NFL franchise quarterback.

(11-06-2017, 09:46 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

How about this mock?

(11-06-2017, 09:09 PM)JackCity Wrote: Our passing scheme is very rudimentary (but effective) and the rest is just handing the ball off. In terms of a QB adjusting from the college game to the NFL our current offense would probably be the easiest transition they'll have at the NFL level.

Don't you think our passing game is simplified due to the fact that Blake Bortles has struggled so much in the past? I know going forward we want to focus on the run, but I think if we had a QB who was able to handle more, our passing scheme might be a bit more advanced. I truly believe we would like to do more with the passing scheme, but we are limited with the QB we have.

That's precisely why. They've expanded the play book the last few weeks but it's still pretty basic. Yup an upgrade at QB would make our offense much more dangerous.  With the way it's set up it would be an easy transition for a college QB to operate in, especially with the defense and run game to lean on.

(11-09-2017, 02:51 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(11-06-2017, 09:46 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I'd be super happy if we ended up with Mayfield!  Big Grin

Don't you think our passing game is simplified due to the fact that Blake Bortles has struggled so much in the past?
I know going forward we want to focus on the run, but I think if we had a QB who was able to handle more, our passing scheme might be a bit more advanced. I truly believe we would like to do more with the passing scheme, but we are limited with the QB we have.

That's precisely why. They've expanded the play book the last few weeks but it's still pretty basic. Yup an upgrade at QB would make our offense much more dangerous.  With the way it's set up it would be an easy transition for a college QB to operate in, especially with the defense and run game to lean on.

Yep. 

I agree wholeheartedly.  Glad the kid is coming around a bit, but an upgrade there could make this team really tough to beat. 

I suppose how Blake finishes the season will determine whether they move up to get their guy or stand pat and take the one that falls.

(11-06-2017, 09:46 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

How about this mock?

(11-06-2017, 09:09 PM)JackCity Wrote: Our passing scheme is very rudimentary (but effective) and the rest is just handing the ball off. In terms of a QB adjusting from the college game to the NFL our current offense would probably be the easiest transition they'll have at the NFL level.

That's part of it but not having true deep threat or a number 1 WR is a big part as well.  When you have no deep threat or a WR teams have to double there is only so much you can do in the passing game.   Blake still has half a season to prove himself

(11-09-2017, 12:26 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(11-06-2017, 09:46 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I'd be super happy if we ended up with Mayfield!  Big Grin

That's part of it but not having true deep threat or a number 1 WR is a big part as well.  When you have no deep threat or a WR teams have to double there is only so much you can do in the passing game.   Blake still has half a season to prove himself

C'mon man. It's because Blake is a terrible deep ball passer. We could have Julio Jones on one side and Tyreek Hill on the other and Bortles still couldn't get them the ball. It's just something he struggles with. Cole has shown the ability to get deep and be a playmaker, so it's not like we have nothing in that regard when it comes to WR. 

You say Blake still has half a season to prove himself, but I've seen enough to know he is holding this team back. He has too many limitations in his game that force us to play a more simplified scheme. We could do so many more things on offense if we just had a more well rounded QB. We don't necessarily have to get an Aaron Rodgers type, just someone who shows the threat to be able to win the game with his arm. We're so close to being a Superbowl team, I can taste it. We just need a QB to get us over that last hump.

(This post was last modified: 11-09-2017, 03:46 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(11-09-2017, 01:32 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(11-09-2017, 12:26 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: That's part of it but not having true deep threat or a number 1 WR is a big part as well.  When you have no deep threat or a WR teams have to double there is only so much you can do in the passing game.   Blake still has half a season to prove himself

C'mon man. It's because Blake is a terrible deep ball passer. We could have Julio Jones on one side and Tyreek Hill on the other and Bortles still couldn't get them the ball. It's just something he struggles with. Cole has shown the ability to get deep and be a playmaker, so it's not like we have nothing in that regard when it comes to WR. 

You say Blake still has half a season to prove himself, but I've seen enough to know he is holding this team back. He has too many limitations in his game that force us to play a more simplified scheme. We could do so many more things on offense if we just had a more well rounded QB. We don't necessarily have to get an Aaron Rodgers type, just someone who shows the threat to be able to win the game with his arm. We're so close to being a Superbowl team, I can taste it. We just need a QB to get us over that last hump.
He was bad last year but 2015 he led the league by passes of 20 yards or more by a good margin.  He has shown before that he can do it. He hasn't been holding this team back as of late

(11-09-2017, 03:44 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(11-09-2017, 01:32 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: C'mon man. It's because Blake is a terrible deep ball passer. We could have Julio Jones on one side and Tyreek Hill on the other and Bortles still couldn't get them the ball. It's just something he struggles with. Cole has shown the ability to get deep and be a playmaker, so it's not like we have nothing in that regard when it comes to WR. 

He was bad last year but 2015 he led the league by passes of 20 yards or more by a good margin.  He has shown before that he can do it.  He hasn't been holding this team back as of late

But what happened in 2016?
We know we're missing AR15 to catch those 50/50 balls this season... so perhaps we'll give him a pass this year for being more of a dink and dunker... then again... play calling is skewed this way on purpose. Less downfield shots, less INTs... 
Bortles... if the coaches have to simplify and vanilla up your offense for you... it ain't a good look, imo.

(This post was last modified: 11-09-2017, 03:54 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(11-09-2017, 03:48 PM)Kane Wrote:
(11-09-2017, 03:44 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: He was bad last year but 2015 he led the league by passes of 20 yards or more by a good margin.  He has shown before that he can do it.  He hasn't been holding this team back as of late

We know we're missing AR15 to catch those 50/50 balls this season... so perhaps we'll give him a pass this year for being more of a dink and dunker... then again... play calling is skewed this way on purpose. Less downfield shots, less INTs... 
Bortles... if the coaches have to simplify and vanilla up your offense for you... it ain't a good look, imo.

In the post you quoted I said he was bad last year.

I would love to draft Mayfield, Rosen, or Rudolph but anyone who thinks we will give up what it takes to trade into the top 5 from the 20s is going to be sad.

There will be teams that will pick way higher than us and have a lot more picks than us to get their QB before us. We can only hope one falls

(11-09-2017, 03:44 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(11-09-2017, 01:32 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: C'mon man. It's because Blake is a terrible deep ball passer. We could have Julio Jones on one side and Tyreek Hill on the other and Bortles still couldn't get them the ball. It's just something he struggles with. Cole has shown the ability to get deep and be a playmaker, so it's not like we have nothing in that regard when it comes to WR. 

He was bad last year but 2015 he led the league by passes of 20 yards or more by a good margin.  He has shown before that he can do it.  He hasn't been holding this team back as of late

He was pretty good in 2015, but somewhere along the way he lost it. I don't know what happened, but he regressed big time and he has never been able to regain that form. Should we wait forever and hope that he finds his way back? What if he never gets back to his 2015 form? Can we afford to wait when we spent so much in free agency to improve the defense? 

He hasn't been holding us back this year, because we dumbed down the offensive scheme to be something he could handle. You don't think that will bite us in the butt somewhere in the future? Once we start getting into the playoffs against really good teams who realize what we are doing, they are simply gonna stack the box and blitz the heck outta Bortles and we'll be exposed. What we are doing now, is more like a band-aid instead of a long term solution. We need to find that long term solution, because if we attach ourselves to Bortles long term, we'll always be limited in the things we can do offensively.

[/quote]

Teams learned how to defend Blake. They stopped playing cover 3 against us and went back to almost exclusively soft cover 2s. Blake has been dead last in the league on deep balls since then. Not that this iteration of our team really cares.

(11-09-2017, 03:51 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(11-09-2017, 03:48 PM)Kane Wrote: But what happened in 2016?

I would love to draft Mayfield, Rosen, or Rudolph but anyone who thinks we will give up what it takes to trade into the top 5 from the 20s is going to be sad.

Why are you so sure of this? Other teams have done it and in many cases it has paid off. We have very few other needs and no other need is nearly as important as getting a QB of the future, so why wouldn't we trade up?

(This post was last modified: 11-09-2017, 04:43 PM by JackCity.)

(11-09-2017, 10:35 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-09-2017, 02:51 AM)JackCity Wrote: That's precisely why. They've expanded the play book the last few weeks but it's still pretty basic. Yup an upgrade at QB would make our offense much more dangerous.  With the way it's set up it would be an easy transition for a college QB to operate in, especially with the defense and run game to lean on.

Yep. 

I agree wholeheartedly.  Glad the kid is coming around a bit, but an upgrade there could make this team really tough to beat. 

I suppose how Blake finishes the season will determine whether they move up to get their guy or stand pat and take the one that falls.

We have a really talented team and the last thing I want to be is one of those teams who can't get to the next level because of the QB. Look at the chiefs, red hot start but as the weeks go by Alex Smith is reverting back to who he is.  

Honestly think we can win a playoff game with our current set up but why not complete the puzzle and get an above average QB.

My worry is that Bortles shows enough down the stretch from them to be comfortable with him starting next year so they refrain from attacking the position. 

If the decision is made for a new QB to start next year, I have little doubt this front office will make it a main priority and get the job done. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see us move up in the draft if Coughlin/Caldwell fall in love with a QB.   

I have a sneaky suspicion Coughlin will love Mayfield and Rosen.

(11-09-2017, 04:40 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(11-09-2017, 10:35 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Yep. 

We have a really talented team and the last thing I want to be is one of those teams who can't get to the next level because of the QB. Look at the chiefs, red hot start but as the weeks go by Alex Smith is reverting back to who he is.  

Honestly think we can win a playoff game with our current set up but why not complete the puzzle and get an above average QB.

My worry is that Bortles shows enough down the stretch from them to be comfortable with him starting next year so they refrain from attacking the position. 

If the decision is made for a new QB to start next year, I have little doubt this front office will make it a main priority and get the job done. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see us move up in the draft if Coughlin/Caldwell fall in love with a QB.   

If we do that, then our front office should be put in the same category as the Cleveland Browns. 

I agree with you though. I believe we may very well move up, depending on who our front office targets in the draft. I too believe our front office likes Mayfield and Rosen. I know you won't agree with this, but I can see them also liking Mason Rudolph. He's a big, accurate passer with nice touch, especially on his deep throws. I'd be perfectly happy with any of those 3, but I'm a little more hesitant on Rosen, because of all the recent injuries. When he's healthy, he's really good though.

(This post was last modified: 11-09-2017, 10:46 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(11-09-2017, 04:22 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(11-09-2017, 03:51 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: In the post you quoted I said he was bad last year.

Why are you so sure of this? Other teams have done it and in many cases it has paid off. We have very few other needs and no other need is nearly as important as getting a QB of the future, so why wouldn't we trade up?

I don't think any have said we won't or don't want to draft a QB.  I just don't think Tom will move up 15 spots

(11-09-2017, 04:40 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(11-09-2017, 10:35 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Yep. 

With Henne becoming a FA and the trade of Allen I think it's a guarantee we draft a QB within the first 3 rounds

(11-09-2017, 03:51 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(11-09-2017, 03:48 PM)Kane Wrote: But what happened in 2016?

Yeah... but it was actually the same Blake, AR just wasn't coming down with as many 50/50 balls.
The OL actually protected better in 2016 than 2015. Run blocking was improved slightly from 15 to 16 as well. Bortles mechanics may have regressed... but he was ultimately the same QB throwin chunk balls and INTs... we just didn't get the completions we had a year prior and Bortles forced too many.

Now, they aren't even attempting those passes.
Which people can make an excuse for if they want... but you shouldn't have to tear down a 4th year player and trim up your playbook. That is when it should be opened. Now granted... this is Bortles first full year under TC, Doug, Nate as OC.... so maybe we're seeing results from a good coach staff building up a player...

I would need to see the Blake VS the clots/bungles Blake for 7/8 remaining games for me to think he has a long term future in J-Ville.
I don't think we'll be moving up for a QB if Bortles plays well enough to take us to the playoffs. And I do think Mayfield and Rudolph are top 10 selections.

Went to the AF/WYO game tonight and could see why scouts like Josh Allen. He can fit the ball in really tight windows and has good zip on the ball and can go from hash to hash. However, can also see why teams are sour on him,if he doesn't have a clean pocket he tends to be short on the deep ball. Also,Wyoming doesn't run a pro style offense or anything close to it because there were a lot of deep ball's and almost nothing over the middle. Kid definitely has potential and the arm strength when has time to set his feet but he didn't look like a top pick in the draft. My comp for him would be Brock Osweiler, can make every throw when he has time but inconsistent accuracy on deep balls when pressured and often times just hits the hot read due to spread system

1A- Mayfield
1B- Rudolph
3- Rosen
4- Darnold

Hopefully one of these guys fall. Wouldn't draft any other QB in the 1st if one of these guys dont fall.