Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags Owner Shad Khan: President Trump Is the ‘Great Divider’

(10-14-2017, 02:43 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: My take on it:
-I don't have a problem with their protesting. It's protected by the Constitution.

-I do have a problem that they are causing further division in this country by continuing to protest in such a way that is known to be inflammatory. This makes the whole conversation about the meaning of the protest null and void because all people talk about is the anthem and the flag and being disrespected which is a whole other conversation.

-It's ruining the ability to read or listen to articles and comments about the game or general team information because it's all about..... the anthem, the flag and being disrespected. 

-They should not be doing this on the job. None of us can go to work and protest while on the clock, why should they? We don't pay money to watch them protest and listen to all the crap from the commentators. We pay to watch a game. 

-I've said it before, if you want your message heard start in the community. A perfect example is of Malik Jackson and Ernest Wilford going to a school together to talk to kids. More of that is needed.

Agreed almost completely. I don't particularly care that they're doing it on the job. NFL teams are private businesses, and if those private businesses have no problem with their employees conducting themselves in that way, then who am I to judge? The flipside of that is that private businesses have the right to handle employee disputes as they see fit. If a backup safety takes a knee and Jerry Jones fires him on the spot, then hey, that's the risk they take. As long as they're aware that actions have consequences, cool.

Of course, few of them understand that. I promise you the NFLPA has been feeding them lines about how there's no rule that says you have to stand. The star players will never be touched because, let's face it, the only thing that would spark a bigger riot in Dallas than Dak Prescott taking a knee is Jerry Jones cutting Dak Prescott for taking a knee. But some backup safety somewhere is going to take a knee someday down the line, and an owner is going to be pressured by the league office into cutting that safety, then this whole thing hits the courts and wow, you thought we have a mess now? Wait until the NFLPA trots out high-paid attorneys to remind us all that kneeling is protected speech and the team had no right to cut the player for it.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

-I don't have a problem with their protesting. It's protected by the Constitution.

-I do have a problem that they are causing further division in this country by continuing to protest in such a way that is known to be inflammatory. This makes the whole conversation about the meaning of the protest null and void because all people talk about is the anthem and the flag and being disrespected which is a whole other conversation.

-It's ruining the ability to read or listen to articles and comments about the game or general team information because it's all about..... the anthem, the flag and being disrespected. 

-They should not be doing this on the job. None of us can go to work and protest while on the clock, why should they? We don't pay money to watch them protest and listen to all the crap from the commentators. We pay to watch a game. 

-I've said it before, if you want your message heard start in the community. A perfect example is of Malik Jackson and Ernest Wilford going to a school together to talk to kids. More of that is needed.

Regarding the last few points, I think it's pointless to compare NFL players line of work to a normal job. People at normal jobs aren't paid millions, aren't watched by millions at their job and generally aren't role models to tons of people. Most jobs also don't make you stand for the national anthem.  Wildly different.

(This post was last modified: 10-14-2017, 03:34 PM by Caldrac.)

This is where I kind of get lost in all this. People are saying they're doing it on the job yet they're not on the football field when the anthem is being performed. It's not disrupting anything since it's all happening simultaneously. And as far as it being inflammatory. Their protest is about as peaceful as I've seen it. In comparison to the Black Lives Matter movement and Antifa's "peaceful" protests. As far as it being all about the anthem and ruining the game. Thank the media for that. They love this [BLEEP]. They eat it up. Like they've always done. Race has ALWAYS been a [BLEEP] issue in this country. ALWAYS.

The problem I have is with some of these ideas and beliefs that it starts in the community. I agree with this to an extent. The problem that I have seen though is that those moments are watered down into little five to ten minute "feel good" segments just before kick-off and it's not spreading any kind of message. The problem isn't entirely on the communities either. It's more so about police brutality and injustice. 

And that goes for everybody. Not just black people. I often hear right wing conservatives bring up the statistics of being white and being 6x more likely to be shot by the Police. Which is true. But that's kind of redundant at the same time and a pointless argument when you realize white people make up over 60% of our country's population. 

And whether anybody likes it or not black communities are disproportionately targeted. They only make up 13% of the population but make up 50% of the prison population. With most arrests happening over marijuana roughly 7 times out of 10. Which is a joke on it's own. And I've seen the hypocrisy my whole life. It's not some made up myth or bull [BLEEP] fairy tale.

I've grown up poor and lived in poor [BLEEP] ghettos and middle class suburban white neighborhoods. I can personally go into my parent's neighborhood and point out anywhere between 5 to 7 known pot heads and 3 distributors. All white people. Most of whom make a pretty damn good living already with a primary job and just peddle it around for extra income. They've done it for years. And they've never been caught. Why? Because the police don't patrol middle class white neighborhoods.

Growing up near University and Arlington in the early 1990's? Saw two or three cops between the mornings I went to school and when I got off the bus. And they were always looking for pot. That's the truth of it. Police have numbers to meet. And they go fishing in poor communities because they know that's where all the drug slinging is. It's a systematic issue. And people need to be educated on it and take their blinders off.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Very few were boycotting the NFL until Trump opened his big fat mouth. Players took a knee last year and you didn’t hear anything about boycotting. Then Trump got in the middle of a situation that had nothing to do with him, players responded, and now look where we are.

Trump is the master of deflecting. He continues to talk about the NFL. Why? Because it keeps you entertained while he goes after his true agenda.

(10-14-2017, 03:26 PM)Caldrac Wrote: This is where I kind of get lost in all this. People are saying they're doing it on the job yet they're not on the football field when the anthem is being performed. It's not disrupting anything since it's all happening simultaneously. 

If the Walmart employee stands outside their store, in Walmart attire, while protesting then they're going to get fired. They don't have to clock in and be stocking the shelves.

Customers still come inside but it's still disruptive.

(10-14-2017, 03:32 PM)Frailbones Wrote: Very few were boycotting the NFL until Trump opened his big fat mouth. Players took a knee last year and you didn’t hear anything about boycotting. Then Trump got in the middle of a situation that had nothing to do with him, players responded, and now look where we are.

Trump is the master of deflecting. He continues to talk about the NFL.  Why? Because it keeps you entertained while he goes after his true agenda.

Trump should've kept his mouth shut but he didn't. The NFL shouldn't have responded but they did.

Very few did it last year because very few players were protesting. It was easy to ignore. Now it's nonstop attention directed to the players. Whether you believe that Trump's fault or the player's, it doesn't matter to many people. 

Stop pretending like Trump has some secret agenda here. He said what a lot off people agree with. He's not making people feel this way. He's just bring attention to it.

(10-14-2017, 03:26 PM)Caldrac Wrote:

This is where I kind of get lost in all this. People are saying they're doing it on the job yet they're not on the football field when the anthem is being performed. 

They are on the job as soon as they arrive in the stadium. Their job is more than just what they do during the 3 hours of game time.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(10-14-2017, 03:32 PM)Frailbones Wrote: Very few were boycotting the NFL until Trump opened his big fat mouth. Players took a knee last year and you didn’t hear anything about boycotting. Then Trump got in the middle of a situation that had nothing to do with him, players responded, and now look where we are.

Trump is the master of deflecting. He continues to talk about the NFL.  Why? Because it keeps you entertained while he goes after his true agenda.

And what, pray tell, is your spin on Trump's "true agenda"? Feel free to expound. You don't need to remove your tinfoil hat to answer this.

Since congress has been totally ineffective, from what I've seen Trump hasn't done much of anything besides eliminate a few of the regulations that Obama imposed without congressional approval.

Sure he says a lot you or I may disagree with, but that's talk, not action.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(This post was last modified: 10-14-2017, 04:45 PM by Caldrac.)

(10-14-2017, 03:46 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:
(10-14-2017, 03:26 PM)Caldrac Wrote: This is where I kind of get lost in all this. People are saying they're doing it on the job yet they're not on the football field when the anthem is being performed. It's not disrupting anything since it's all happening simultaneously. 

If the Walmart employee stands outside their store, in Walmart attire, while protesting then they're going to get fired. They don't have to clock in and be stocking the shelves.

Okay, so what's your [BLEEP] point? The NFL has 32 owners. If they don't like it they can fire anybody they want and let the Union deal with it. So sick of this double standard bull [BLEEP] argument with people. "Oh I can't do it so why can they?". Same reason why people like Trump can get into office after being publicly embarrassed when bragging about grabbing women by the [BLEEP] or why the scumbag Clinton family can get away with a high body count and political corruption that makes the Bush family blush in envy. It's called double standards. And virtually every side of the political realm and debate on this [BLEEP] is guilty of it. Period.

(10-14-2017, 04:06 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(10-14-2017, 03:26 PM)Caldrac Wrote: This is where I kind of get lost in all this. People are saying they're doing it on the job yet they're not on the football field when the anthem is being performed. 

They are on the job as soon as they arrive in the stadium. Their job is more than just what they do during the 3 hours of game time.

Sure it is.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(10-14-2017, 04:12 PM)D MalabarJag Wrote:

And what, pray tell, is your spin on Trump's "true agenda"? Feel free to expound. You don't need to remove your tinfoil hat to answer this.

Since congress has been totally ineffective, from what I've seen Trump hasn't done much of anything besides eliminate a few of the regulations that Obama imposed without congressional approval.

That’s what he’s deflecting from.

The fact he hasn’t done anything.

(10-14-2017, 04:40 PM)Frailbones Wrote:
(10-14-2017, 04:12 PM)D MalabarJag Wrote: And what, pray tell, is your spin on Trump's "true agenda"? Feel free to expound. You don't need to remove your tinfoil hat to answer this.

That’s what he’s deflecting from.

The fact he hasn’t done anything.
So you think his "true agenda" is to do nothing?

If so he's been wildly successful so far.

(10-14-2017, 04:32 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(10-14-2017, 03:46 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: If the Walmart employee stands outside their store, in Walmart attire, while protesting then they're going to get fired. They don't have to clock in and be stocking the shelves.

Okay, so what's your [BLEEP] point? The NFL has 32 owners. If they don't like it they can fire anybody they want and let the Union deal with it. So sick of this double standard bull [BLEEP] argument with people. "Oh I can't do it so why can they?". Same reason why people like Trump can get into office after being publicly embarrassed when bragging about grabbing women by the [BLEEP] or why the scumbag Clinton family can get away with a high body count and political corruption that makes the Bush family blush in envy. It's called double standards. And virtually every side of the political realm and debate on this [BLEEP] is guilty of it. Period.

You said it wasn't "on the job" It's clearly "on the job". Many people have been fired for something similar. You wanted to say that wearing your TEAM uniform, at the TEAM'S stadium, while on television with your TEAM'S name isn't "on the job". My only point was to show that you're wrong. If you want to respond like a child about something that doesn't apply to me, that's your problem. This clearly bothers you more than it does me.

I never said they shouldn't be allowed to do it. You're just too hot-headed to realize it. I personally don't care enough about this to protest it. I think what they're doing is stupid because it's based on a lie; that's why I don't support what they're doing. I don't think they should be fired.

Khan will say what he needs to say. If he gives any other kind of statement he knows the press will grab him by the family jewels and he does not need that headache. Unfortunately thats how it works now

I bet he still votes Republican and will keep donating $

(10-13-2017, 09:19 PM)rollerjag Wrote: The pitiful thing here is a complete lack of understanding of both the player's protest, and many of the owner's show of support.

Not every American has the same life experience, and no one has the right to force their interpretation of what's appropriate behavior when the anthem is playing on others.

You could also add to that statement what appears to be the disdain shown by the players and owners to some extent as to how this form of protest appears to many veteran's and their families. 

The lack of empathy shown by both sides of this highly charged and emotional issue is just another example of how we continue to allow ourselves to be divided.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(10-14-2017, 09:05 AM)Adam2012 Wrote:
(10-13-2017, 10:59 PM)Ronster Wrote: Understand what? That they are making a problem where there is none? They have an incorrect perception about cop shootings and abuse. This is NOT the 80's anymore. All it is, is liberals using identity politics to divide this country and quite frankly, I AM SICK AND TIRED OF IT... And the owners and NFL are playing right into the left's hands.

If the NFL wants to kill their brand and their reputation then they can continue to spit in our faces OR; they can stop this nonsense and focus on football. It is their choice, they should choose wisely.

No one has spit in my face. Perhaps you just like spit.

I don't get it (actually I do). This issue has been around for two years and now you're "offended"? Breitbart and Donald blow the dog whistle and your ears perk up.

I understand that message boards and social media are where people come to prove their self-righteousness and show us HOW UPSET THEY ARE, but when you start trying to claim that it's football or my country, well, you've really drifted off into drama queen land. Enjoy your visit.
And what of all of those people showing their disdain for Kaepernick's actions last year?

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(10-14-2017, 10:23 AM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(10-14-2017, 09:05 AM)Adam2012 Wrote: No one has spit in my face. Perhaps you just like spit.

I don't get it (actually I do). This issue has been around for two years and now you're "offended"? Breitbart and Donald blow the dog whistle and your ears perk up.

I understand that message boards and social media are where people come to prove their self-righteousness and show us HOW UPSET THEY ARE, but when you start trying to claim that it's football or my country, well, you've really drifted off into drama queen land. Enjoy your visit.
Maybe you weren't paying attention last year. People were offended before Trump said anything. 

You weren't, and that's your choice, but the NFL has to appeal to a wide variety of people. Getting mired in political arguments is incredibly stupid on the part of the NFL, and it was Goodell's response (as well as those of several owners and players) to Trump's throw away statement during a campaign rally that made this into the huge mess it now is. Khan's latest statement just adds more fuel to the fire. Every step along the path this has taken has made this worse for the NFL. Trump's campaign statement was only one of those steps, and should have been ignored. (Everything Trump says about any topic other than national policy should be ignored. His statements are pretty much all exaggerations)
And this is where I disagree with my friends on the right.  He is the president of the United States of America.  There are no throw away statements.  Words have consequences and his statement directly challenged many passive NFL players to respond.
  The sooner his supporters begin to hold him as accountable as they do the opposition party (and that statement goes both ways) the sooner we can come together and actually make America great again.

I've completely forgotten what the original message of all this kneeling was about.

(10-14-2017, 09:02 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I've completely forgotten what the original message of all this kneeling was about.

No worries. I bet most of the kneelers have too.

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

Very proud to have an owner who understands the larger issues involved here, and has the guts to speak out against intentional idiocy, feigned offhandedness, and a straw man of straw men arguments.

Kudos, Shad, and you couldn't be more right. Thank you.

A true American standing up for true American ideals that our soldiers swore to uphold.

(10-14-2017, 09:37 PM)nate Wrote: Very proud to have an owner who understands the larger issues involved here, and has the guts to speak out against intentional idiocy, feigned offhandedness, and a straw man of straw men arguments.  

Kudos, Shad, and you couldn't be more right.  Thank you.

A true American standing up for true American ideals that our soldiers swore to uphold.

Perfectly said.. Now go wipe your [BLEEP] with The American Flag or burn it because real heroes have given the ultimate sacrifice just so you can do It..

Amirite?

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]