Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Don't run Fournette into the ground

(10-16-2017, 04:46 PM)Upper Wrote:
(10-16-2017, 02:21 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Last week people were saying keep Ivory off the field and give MORE touches to Fournette.

(10-09-2017, 04:32 PM)Upper Wrote: I am one of the many who have said that. Why is this being brought up though? It's obviously an argument based on long term preservation, not to try to call it as a victory for one side or another after a month. If, and more likely when, Fournette is hobbled and banged up (if not worse) in week 14 in the heat of the division/playoff race we might wish we had curtailed his carries a bit when we were ahead by 2+ scores late in some of these games.

Well, not everyone. I still had a long term preservation approach.

(10-16-2017, 02:56 PM)JackCity Wrote: Like Marrone said in his presser. When we win there's been zero complaints about Fournettes touches.  When we lose its seems he's either had gotten too much or not enough.

"UpperRDL 17 points 4 days ago
I didn't watch the clip because they are both awful, but it's not a diss to acknowledge that Fournette's workload and running style could lead to a shorter than average career. They need to start curtailing his carries where possible. For example, as great as Fournette's 90 yard TD was, it might be wise to let Ivory close out a game when we are up by 2 scores with 4 minutes left in the future."

And that was me on reddit the middle of last week, after a win. I've been doing my best to keep the big picture mindset.

You quoting yourself is very on brand lmao

I agree, there was no real need for him in on those snaps. Ivory could have done the job quite easily.   

But as far as managing him touch wise I think they've done a decent job.  You can't impose a touch limit because invariably you will have to change it depending on game script and how the two backs are doing. It's fruitless to say "Okay LF7 will get 20 touches on Sunday and that's it". 

What they say they're doing is judging it throughout the game and letting Wheatley dictate the rotation by how they're running , fatigue, situation etc etc. It appears to be the case based on everything we've seen. Granted they can sharpen up in situations like the end of the Steelers.  

It's a run heavy scheme with two workhorse backs. The reality is these guys are going to be hit alot and they're going to get tired. Hopefully we don't end up ruining Fournette in our attempt to hide a terrible QB.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(10-16-2017, 12:40 PM)haveaseat Wrote:
(10-16-2017, 03:53 AM)Upper Wrote: We dodged a major bullet today. I still wouldn't call it out of the woods quite yet everyone knows how tricky ankles can be the next day after the adrenaline wears off, but fingers crossed.

Regardless, while I certainly haven't been alone I have probably been the most consistent person saying we need to use Fournette more judiciously. Unfortunately the guys in charge don't seem to care about Fournette's 3rd/4th/5th/etc seasons. Which is understandable Coughlin is the oldest front office man in the league and Caldwell is on some of the thinnest ice in the league. Just sucks as a long term invested fan to see the FO care so little about the long term future.

#WinTodayIGuess

So if they didn’t run him into the ground you guys would conversely complain that we’re not even trying to win. You play to win the game.

(10-16-2017, 05:05 PM)JackCity Wrote: You quoting yourself is very on brand lmao

I agree, there was no real need for him in on those snaps. Ivory could have done the job quite easily.   

But as far as managing him touch wise I think they've done a decent job.  You can't impose a touch limit because invariably you will have to change it depending on game script and how the two backs are doing. It's fruitless to say "Okay LF7 will get 20 touches on Sunday and that's it". 

What they say they're doing is judging it throughout the game and letting Wheatley dictate the rotation by how they're running , fatigue, situation etc etc. It appears to be the case based on everything we've seen. Granted they can sharpen up in situations like the end of the Steelers.  

It's a run heavy scheme with two workhorse backs. The reality is these guys are going to be hit alot and they're going to get tired. Hopefully we don't end up ruining Fournette in our attempt to hide a terrible QB.

Haha, proper documentation is key. And yes it's obviously game dependent you don't go in with a pitch count. There have been 3 blowouts where we could have probably lightened Fournette's load by a good 20 or so total. That will add up.

If we're running 4net into the ground, what are the Chiefs doing with Hunt. Hunt has considerably more yards than 4net, but the Jaguars overall have considerably more rushing yards the the Chiefs. This tells me the Chiefs are using Hunt much more while the Jaguars are least spelling 4net with Ivory. 

There is always a need to excercize caution especially after seeing him twist his ankle, but 4net is young and I'm not sensing any signs that he's slowing down or nearing a rookie wall. 
'02

It doesn't go by yardage though...

Looking at this week, Fournette might be in more pain than he's letting on.

I'm thinking back to when I rolled my ankle. It put me out of work for a month, but it was mainly a pain issue. I see Marrone saying how he came back and was ready to play in the game, and that reminded me how soon after I thought I was fine. The thing is, it takes a little while for the swelling to really kick in. At those moment he's probably in agony, but you know he'll tough through it and not let on. 
'02

(10-17-2017, 03:43 PM)Jags02 Wrote: Looking at this week, Fournette might be in more pain than he's letting on.

I'm thinking back to when I rolled my ankle. It put me out of work for a month, but it was mainly a pain issue. I see Marrone saying how he came back and was ready to play in the game, and that reminded me how soon after I thought I was fine. The thing is, it takes a little while for the swelling to really kick in. At those moment he's probably in agony, but you know he'll tough through it and not let on. 

Ha, call me nuts, but it might be a little different for a professional football player. 

A month?

The problem is you're running Fournette into the waiting arms of defenses who are drooling to put a lick on him so they don't have to deal with him. He's facing the most stacked boxes in the NFL. It's not a matter of giving him the ball but how you do it. You're doing him a disservice by not keeping defenses honest with a decent QB and a passing game. It's a sure way to get him injured.

(This post was last modified: 10-18-2017, 07:55 AM by Nikowho.)

I'm inclined to agree with haveaseat. This smacks of the Gabbert era, in which there was a horrendous QB, bad Oline, and no true playmaking passing threats, and an older, banged up Mojo having to take handoffs time and time again while facing the most stacked boxes in the league.

We all saw how that went. I'm concerned that is how this season is going to play out. Let's just hope a competent rookie QB or veteran is brought in next year to alleviate the issue, because if this is the game plan for more than one year, Fournette's going to get beaten up.

Ankles are tricky especially for a guy with a history of ankle issues like Fournette. They should be very conservative with him. Ankle injuries if not healed fully cause long term laxity issues in the ligaments. Meaning an increase in the chance of re injury and a loss of mobility. You can look at the play and the way he twisted the ankle and conclude he is already suffering some ankle laxity issues. His ankle seems to turn on its own and didn't really appear to be in an awkward position.

https://www.seccountry.com/lsu/source-ls...ic-problem

This article from last year touched on it. They should keep a long term view of the situation and not just play him for this week but consider how long the season is.