Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
MLB considers expansion, radical realignment

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Interesting, I could see a lot of the over 30+ people hating it due to changing everything they grew up with. I am sure they would still play some inter-league games well I guess it would be inter-region games in this case. Not sure how I feel about it overall.

But maybe something like this would give baseball a shot in the arm in popularity.
Jaguars | Pacers | Purdue | Team USA

If the Yankees and Dodgers manage to make it to the World Series, the matchup will do tons to help the popularity rebound for MLB. For baseball fans, it doesn't get much sexier than that.

While I think this realignment proposal has some merit, and would create some strong regional rivalries, I think you're right that purists would hate the move. But, it would create more interest in the game if they followed a plan similar to this one for sure. The purists are still complaining about the DH rule, so they're never going to be happy. Do what's best for the league.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(This post was last modified: 10-19-2017, 10:10 AM by Scarecrow.)

I don't understand how this would do anything for baseball popularity.

It's going to spread the talent even thinner than it already is. It's inevitable though that they have a team back in Montreal.

I don't like the idea of adding wild card games either.

I am in favor of shortening the schedule to 156 games and giving the players a day off each week.

If you have to have a team in Montreal move the Rays north and call it even. Keep it at 30 teams and not much else has to change to realign things. The Expos can stay in the AL East. You can still shorten the season to 156 games. Instead of adding wild card teams maybe make the wild card round a quick 3 game series?

Can we get the DH in the NL too while we're at it? Keep things the same for teams in both leagues.

(10-19-2017, 10:00 AM)FBT Wrote: If the Yankees and Dodgers manage to make it to the World Series, the matchup will do tons to help the popularity rebound for MLB.  For baseball fans, it doesn't get much sexier than that.

While I think this realignment proposal has some merit, and would create some strong regional rivalries, I think you're right that purists would hate the move.   But, it would create more interest in the game if they followed a plan similar to this one for sure.  The purists are still complaining about the DH rule, so they're never going to be happy.  Do what's best for the league.

MLB can't lose as far as the NLCS goes.  If the Cubs pull off a miraculous comeback (odds are about as good as you winning the Lotto) then they're going to have a ton of eyes on the World Series for a Yankees vs Cubs matchup.

If they Yankees win the ALCS then MLB will be happy with Cubs or Dodgers I would think. 

As for the bold I agree.  This is what has to be done.

The DH is the worst thing they ever did. It took almost all the strategy out of the game and turned it into a batting contest.

OTOH, I think it positively impacted attendance as people who don't understand the nuances of real baseball can come to the park, look at their cellphones all night and see (or hear) lots of hitting. American League baseball isn't worth watching for this purist. Unfortunately, I am stuck in an AL city so I watch almost nothing.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!