Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
DOW passes 23K

Closed slightly below. Hope everyone is enjoying their 401k's!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I don't have a 401k but yes, the market has been great.

NBC News had a story last night where they asked the question: "Is it too late to get in?"

When the news media starts running stories like that, it's time to get out.

(10-18-2017, 12:48 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: I don't have a 401k but yes, the market has been great.

And I bet many who voted for Donald don't either. But he's going to take care of the "little man"! 

Just wait until we see "tax reform".
The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

(10-18-2017, 12:17 PM)Adam2012 Wrote:
(10-18-2017, 12:48 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: I don't have a 401k but yes, the market has been great.

And I bet many who voted for Donald don't either. But he's going to take care of the "little man"! 

The majority of employers provide some type of retirement for their employees so an investment account isn't some unicorn the democrats like to make people believe. The sad part is most of these people don't realize that capital gains taxes aren't only for the "rich".

I voted for him and don't have a 401k either.  Just what are you trying to imply?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Ok...

(10-18-2017, 08:42 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(10-18-2017, 12:17 PM)Adam2012 Wrote: And I bet many who voted for Donald don't either. But he's going to take care of the "little man"! 

I voted for him and don't have a 401k either.  Just what are you trying to imply?

I'm trying to imply that Donald will attempt to take credit for anything, even if he had nothing to do with whatever happened.

And a number of his supporters are saying great, the Dow went up, that ain't helping me. And yet they no doubt think "tax reform" will somehow benefit them. I suspect it will benefit people like Trump and those in his cabinet.

I also suspect that we'll get a tax refund, not reform. Politicians love sending out free money. A down payment on future support. Funny how the "small government conservatives" don't seem to be talking about the deficit anymore. Being in power can do that to you.

(10-19-2017, 11:44 AM)Adam2012 Wrote:
(10-18-2017, 08:42 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I voted for him and don't have a 401k either.  Just what are you trying to imply?

I'm trying to imply that Donald will attempt to take credit for anything, even if he had nothing to do with whatever happened.

And a number of his supporters are saying great, the Dow went up, that ain't helping me. And yet they no doubt think "tax reform" will somehow benefit them. I suspect it will benefit people like Trump and those in his cabinet.

I also suspect that we'll get a tax refund, not reform. Politicians love sending out free money. A down payment on future support. Funny how the "small government conservatives" don't seem to be talking about the deficit anymore. Being in power can do that to you.

You sound angry that our economy is doing well. 

FTR, since you quoted me, I'm not a Trump supporter, and I'm not an employee so no 401K. I invest through other avenues - hence my comment "the market has been great."

(This post was last modified: 10-19-2017, 06:54 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(10-17-2017, 08:12 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Closed slightly below. Hope everyone is enjoying their 401k's!

Just goes to show the market momentum that Obama instilled is indestructible, regardless of who is in office

[Image: 200.webp#80-grid1]

(10-18-2017, 08:42 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I voted for him and don't have a 401k either.  Just what are you trying to imply?

Have you even read the tax reform plan?  It drastically helps nearly everyone.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/taxreform

Well for the record, I don't have a 401k plan because what is offered by my employer is crap.  That doesn't mean that I don't have retirement savings, on the contrary I have both a traditional and a Roth IRA that I contribute to and invest.

I don't see anywhere in this thread where President Trump is "taking credit" for anything.  The market is up and has been for quite some time.  It has very little to do with politics or who is in office.  As for me, the fact that the market is doing well is doing well for me.  I'm getting really good returns on my investments.

Tax reform would absolutely benefit somebody like me.  I doubt that I'll get a tax refund since I usually have a tax bill that I have to pay every April even after my employer withholds the amount that I direct them to.  Somehow I EARN "too much" and have to pay higher taxes.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

What in the bloody hell are you talking about?

Anyone else remember how, for years, we’d hear about how a Democrat would come into office and the stock market would increase? We’d always see the argument that it’s because of their economy. Now that it’s happening with Trump, is it his predecessor’s successes or is that argument no longer valid?

(10-19-2017, 07:01 PM)Jest101 Wrote:
(10-19-2017, 11:44 AM)Adam2012 Wrote: I'm trying to imply that Donald will attempt to take credit for anything, even if he had nothing to do with whatever happened.

Have you even read the tax reform plan?  It drastically helps nearly everyone.

Why have you wasted your time reading a plan that has no chance in hell of being enacted in it's present form?

Do you not know how this works? Once the lobbyists and politicians get through with it it will be unrecognizable.

Why do think it's been over 30 years since real reform has been enacted? It's hard work and takes a long time to do it right. I don't see Donald as having the work ethic or policy knowledge to get it done. Now - will they throw something together and call it reform? Probably. Will it help corporations? No doubt. Will it help the working man? We'll see.

We'll not doubt get a "huge" tax refund. Free money!!! And how come no one is yelling "The deficit! The deficit!!"? Donald certainly doesn't care and now you don't either.

Welcome to the Democratic Party.

(10-20-2017, 11:30 AM)Adam2012 Wrote:
(10-19-2017, 07:01 PM)Jest101 Wrote: Have you even read the tax reform plan?  It drastically helps nearly everyone.

Why have you wasted your time reading a plan that has no chance in hell of being enacted in it's present form?

Do you not know how this works? Once the lobbyists and politicians get through with it it will be unrecognizable.

Why do think it's been over 30 years since real reform has been enacted? It's hard work and takes a long time to do it right. I don't see Donald as having the work ethic or policy knowledge to get it done. Now - will they throw something together and call it reform? Probably. Will it help corporations? No doubt. Will it help the working man? We'll see.

We'll not doubt get a "huge" tax refund. Free money!!! And how come no one is yelling "The deficit! The deficit!!"? Donald certainly doesn't care and now you don't either.

Tax cuts should be codified to take place next year so that no additional "refund" takes place. 

Tax reform will improve the economy. 

The deficit cannot be reduced without spending reform no matter how much the economy grows.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(10-20-2017, 02:43 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(10-20-2017, 11:30 AM)Adam2012 Wrote: Why have you wasted your time reading a plan that has no chance in hell of being enacted in it's present form?

Tax cuts should be codified to take place next year so that no additional "refund" takes place. 

The deficit cannot be reduced without spending reform no matter how much the economy grows.

And how is President Trump coming with the spending reform?  Last I heard, he had pledged to never touch Social Security or Medicare, and to increase the defense budget.  That's about 80% of the budget, isn't it?

(10-20-2017, 11:30 AM)Adam2012 Wrote:
(10-19-2017, 07:01 PM)Jest101 Wrote: Have you even read the tax reform plan?  It drastically helps nearly everyone.

You do understand that The President doesn't write policy don't you?

As far as the huge tax "refund", I would bet that the majority of people that get a tax "refund" either pay very little tax or they don't actually pay taxes at all.

(10-20-2017, 02:49 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(10-20-2017, 02:43 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Tax cuts should be codified to take place next year so that no additional "refund" takes place. 

And how is President Trump coming with the spending reform?  Last I heard, he had pledged to never touch Social Security or Medicare, and to increase the defense budget.  That's about 80% of the budget, isn't it?

Medicaid is a big part of the budget, as is interest on the debt.

You are right that there will probably not be any spending reform, but the President can only approve or veto spending. The budget is the responsibility of congress. Trump has cut spending where he has control, such as payments to the UN. Admittedly these are a drop in the bucket.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(This post was last modified: 10-20-2017, 07:45 PM by Adam2012.)

(10-20-2017, 05:30 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(10-20-2017, 11:30 AM)Adam2012 Wrote: Why have you wasted your time reading a plan that has no chance in hell of being enacted in it's present form?

You do understand that The President doesn't write policy don't you?

As far as the huge tax "refund", I would bet that the majority of people that get a tax "refund" either pay very little tax or they don't actually pay taxes at all.

You don't seem to know how the legislative process works. Please read up on how tax reform happened under Ronald Reagan.

The president is leader of his party and gets the most media attention. He needs to be the one who sells any kind of tax plan to the American people. Ronald Reagan worked his butt off selling his plan and it took a while. But he actually knew what he was talking about.

Also - we all realize how many who get a refund don't pay taxes - that's why I called it free money. Which apparently doesn't bother you or other Trumpsters. Worrying about deficits are so old school. 

And I hope everyone understands that you don't know what you are supporting. The public relations info is just that - pr. The actual bill is being written in secret. Kind of like repeal and replace.

(10-20-2017, 02:49 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(10-20-2017, 02:43 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Tax cuts should be codified to take place next year so that no additional "refund" takes place. 

Tax reform will improve the economy. Wow - such a clear talking point. We know it will help some. I wonder who?
The deficit certainly can't be reduced if you take in less while you spend the same, or more. I thought Trump wasn't some same old type of politician. That didn't last long.