Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
State of emergency declared in Alachua County for white supremacist

So, nothing.

Good.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(10-19-2017, 03:30 PM)Kane Wrote: We should all protest every time a Clinton or Obama gives a $500k speech somewhere.

I'm not a fan of their words so they shouldn't be allowed to speak them....

that's how free speech is working these days right?
Kneeling during anthem, is OK!
Having a pro-life speech, is not.
Clogging the roads in an anti-Trump march is OK....
but gathering to talk about conservative view points.... not so much.
Anti-white rhetoric... good.
Not getting behind BLM movement...racist and bad!

Just making sure I'm all up to date on how free speech works....
any other notes?

Black players should not kneel (or silently protest) during the anthem, not speak politics while signed to a NFL contract, or speak publicly on a U.S. president that may be seemed negative.  

Free speech doesn't apply to them because they are second class citizens and should know their place. They are entertainment pieces and have no value in human society?

I hope im right in decoding the dog whistles.
Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

(This post was last modified: 10-19-2017, 05:59 PM by JaguarsWoman.)

(10-19-2017, 05:48 PM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote: Black players should not kneel (or silently protest) during the anthem, not speak politics while signed to a NFL contract, or speak publicly on a U.S. president that may be seemed negative.  

Free speech doesn't apply to them because they are second class citizens and should know their place. They are entertainment pieces and have no value in human society?

I hope I'm right in decoding the dog whistles.

You are wrong on both counts and there are no dog whistles to decode.

Actually what you are really doing is telling two blatant lies.

(10-19-2017, 05:48 PM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote:
(10-19-2017, 03:30 PM)Kane Wrote: We should all protest every time a Clinton or Obama gives a $500k speech somewhere.

I'm not a fan of their words so they shouldn't be allowed to speak them....

that's how free speech is working these days right?
Kneeling during anthem, is OK!
Having a pro-life speech, is not.
Clogging the roads in an anti-Trump march is OK....
but gathering to talk about conservative view points.... not so much.
Anti-white rhetoric... good.
Not getting behind BLM movement...racist and bad!

Just making sure I'm all up to date on how free speech works....
any other notes?

Black players should not kneel (or silently protest) during the anthem, not speak politics while signed to a NFL contract, or speak publicly on a U.S. president that may be seemed negative.  

I'm so glad you got another chance to completely misinterpret peoples' opinion on kneeling for another effort to push your The-White-Man-is-Racist agenda.

I typed out an actual response to this explaining why people are upset, but I realized you have already read it before. You just don't care. You want to believe what you want to believe, and anything that disproves your viewpoint is discarded. 

So, I deleted it because what's the point, right?

(This post was last modified: 10-19-2017, 06:44 PM by Jamies_fried_chicken.)

(10-19-2017, 06:05 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:
(10-19-2017, 05:48 PM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote: Black players should not kneel (or silently protest) during the anthem, not speak politics while signed to a NFL contract, or speak publicly on a U.S. president that may be seemed negative.  

I'm so glad you got another chance to completely misinterpret peoples' opinion on kneeling for another effort to push your The-White-Man-is-Racist agenda.

I typed out an actual response to this explaining why people are upset, but I realized you have already read it before. You just don't care. You want to believe what you want to believe, and anything that disproves your viewpoint is discarded. 

Is it really misinterpretation, or the true thoughts of said people who feel strongly about those players kneeling?

Ive said this before, but I will say it again even though I know your will purposely dismiss it. All White people who hold conservative views are not bigots and have open minded social beliefs and principles I know some personally so I can speak to that. My previous statement was applied to those who think otherwise. 

Regarding your response, and the overall explanation to why people are upset comes down to this. It is on the record that the players have stated this is not a protest against the military, it is to shed light on systematic injustice that by the way YOU and others have deemed "falsehoods", or "fake", which is considered blissful ignorance. 

Are you irritated by me making blunt statements that gets straight to the point?

(10-19-2017, 05:58 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:

I hope I'm right in decoding the dog whistles.

You are wrong on both counts and there are no dog whistles to decode.

Actually what you are really doing is telling two blatant lies.

It..........

Nevermind, you get a pass
Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

(This post was last modified: 10-19-2017, 07:07 PM by homebiscuit.)

It's all over now. The Sound and Fury Signifying Nothing Show is finished and the only narrative proven is that the left will utilize whatever means to squelch free speech. I'm referencing the constant howling, chanting, and jeering while this pinhead was speaking. Rather than disprove his argument with counter arguments based in logic and reason, they chose open contempt and distraction. Were it not for the heavy police presence, no doubt violence would have been unleashed. While Spencer's philosophy is deeply flawed, he scored points by proving the left is not the intellectual base of tolerance it professes to be. The constant childish taunts only served to reinforce their militant sanctimony.

(10-19-2017, 06:43 PM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote:
(10-19-2017, 06:05 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: I'm so glad you got another chance to completely misinterpret peoples' opinion on kneeling for another effort to push your The-White-Man-is-Racist agenda.

Is it really misinterpretation, or the true thoughts of said people who feel strongly about those players kneeling?

Ive said this before, but I will say it again even though I know your will purposely dismiss it. All White people who hold conservative views are not bigots and have open minded social beliefs and principles I know some personally so I can speak to that. My previous statement was applied to those who think otherwise. 

Regarding your response, and the overall explanation to why people are upset comes down to this. It is on the record that the players have stated this is not a protest against the military, it is to shed light on systematic injustice that by the way YOU and others have deemed "falsehoods", or "fake", which is considered blissful ignorance. 

Are you irritated by me making blunt statements that gets straight to the point?

You saying all conservatives aren't racist is irrelevant when you almost always apply the belief that something is racist when it's criticism against people that so happen to be black. This demonstration is a perfect example. Since when has it been socially acceptable to protest the anthem and flag? You think this is a newly held belief since black athletes are doing it? It doesn't matter who is doing it; a lot of people simply don't like it. A demonstrably low number of people are saying they shouldn't have the right. Most are saying they just shouldn't do it out of respect.
They are falsehoods. This outrage is based on lies. There is nothing blissfully ignorant about it. Aside from the death proportion to population statistic, there is nothing to support the idea that police kill black more than whites. That statistic doesn't account for the number of violent encounters each race has with police.
Murder: 51% black, 45.9% white
Robbery: 53% black, 44% white
Burglary: 68% white, 29.5% black
So, out of the main situations people get shot by police, one is mainly white and two were mainly black. The white numbers also include Hispanics. Even though blacks make up only about 13% of the population, they commit an unproportional number of violent crimes compared to their proportion to the general population. Of the above mentioned statistics, there were 241645 incidents. 38.1% of those showed a black offender. They make up about 26% of police shootings.
There's no evidence to support this made-up injustice.

(10-19-2017, 09:18 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:
(10-19-2017, 06:43 PM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote: Is it really misinterpretation, or the true thoughts of said people who feel strongly about those players kneeling?

You saying all conservatives aren't racist is irrelevant when you almost always apply the belief that something is racist when it's criticism against people that so happen to be black. This demonstration is a perfect example. Since when has it been socially acceptable to protest the anthem and flag? You think this is a newly held belief since black athletes are doing it? It doesn't matter who is doing it; a lot of people simply don't like it. A demonstrably low number of people are saying they shouldn't have the right. Most are saying they just shouldn't do it out of respect.
They are falsehoods. This outrage is based on lies. There is nothing blissfully ignorant about it. Aside from the death proportion to population statistic, there is nothing to support the idea that police kill black more than whites. That statistic doesn't account for the number of violent encounters each race has with police.
So, out of the main situations people get shot by police, one is mainly white and two were mainly black. The white numbers also include Hispanics. Even though blacks make up only about 13% of the population, they commit an unproportional number of violent crimes compared to their proportion to the general population. Of the above mentioned statistics, there were 241645 incidents. 38.1% of those showed a black offender. They make up about 26% of police shootings.

Facts are racist.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(10-19-2017, 06:43 PM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote: Is it really misinterpretation, or the true thoughts of said people who feel strongly about those players kneeling?

While I have your attention, I'd like to ask a question. 

There have been comments about 70% of prisoners being in jail for marijuana possession. I find these numbers ridiculous, but I could be wrong. As a LEO, how often does your department arrest someone for marijuana possession? Do you know of anyone in your jurisdiction who ended up in jail just for marijuana possession? If so, were there any for small amounts?

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

No, it is irrelevant to you because you cant grasp the simple notion that there are people who have complex beliefs that don't fit the typical political identity.  There have been protest for equality on the national stage since the days of Tommy Smith,  Vince Matthews to Mahmoud Abdul-Rahif in the 90's. You know what happened to those people after they silently protested, they were suspended or banned from their respective sports. 

Maybe you don't understand, but the point of protest is to raise awareness in a peaceful manner, everybody is NOT going to agree with the method. Im sure there were people during the Civil rights era who didnt like the way MLK, etc led his protests and boycotts and complained about the "respect" factor, don't you agree?

Again, systematic injustice is root cause the players are trying to bring attention to. The percentage of minorities wrongly convicted of murder is 47%. Plus African Amercians have to wait twice as long to wait for their convictions to be overturned, I read a story ever day of a black person being freed after being wrongly convicted for alot of years. if you dont believe me, read the link below. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/07/us/wr...ation.html

http://www.finalcall.com/artman/publish/...9884.shtml

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/opinion-l...story.html

(This post was last modified: 10-19-2017, 11:49 PM by JagNGeorgia.)

(10-19-2017, 10:24 PM)MalabarJag Wrote: While I have your attention, I'd like to ask a question. 

There have been comments about 70% of prisoners being in jail for marijuana possession. I find these numbers ridiculous, but I could be wrong. As a LEO, how often does your department arrest someone for marijuana possession? Do you know of anyone in your jurisdiction who ended up in jail just for marijuana possession? If so, were there any for small amounts?

I've never worked for the jail, but personal statistics would show about 5% of my arrest were for drugs. I personally don't care about marijuana and wouldn't take someone unless they had more than an ounce. As for the jail in my county, I'd guess 70-80% is for domestic and probation issues. All of this is a guess, however, and I can't say definitively.

As for prison, the Department of Justice says 99.5% of drug offenders in prison are there for trafficking. Trafficking requires (if it was marijuana) would have to exceed 10 pounds. Only 12.5% of that 99.5% number is marijuana-related. 1,525,900 were under the care of correctional facilities, and 94,678 were drug offenders. That 6% so I'd say that 70% number is grossly inaccurate unless I'm misunderstanding something.

All of that is from 2015 so it could vary some.

People are arrested for marijuana. It largely depends on the officer, so some people will take you for a gram while others will just throw it out the window. It does happen, but just being in jail for marijuana isn't the same as prison. I don't know of anyone who has gone to prison for marijuana possession. I've arrested far more people for driving without a valid license than I have marijuana.

(10-19-2017, 10:58 PM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote:

No, it is irrelevant to you because you cant grasp the simple notion that there are people who have complex beliefs that don't fit the typical political identity.  There have been protest for equality on the national stage since the days of Tommy Smith,  Vince Matthews to Mahmoud Abdul-Rahif in the 90's. You know what happened to those people after they silently protested, they were suspended or banned from their respective sports. 

You're deflecting. It's irrelevant because you use racism as the source of disagreement for too many things. It doesn't matter if you say not all white conservatives are racist when your behavior supports a different line-of-thought. 

Maybe you don't understand, but the point of protest is to raise awareness in a peaceful manner, everybody is NOT going to agree with the method. Im sure there were people during the Civil rights era who didnt like the way MLK, etc led his protests and boycotts and complained about the "respect" factor, don't you agree?

I'm fully aware of their point and why they chose to do it during the anthem. Despite Kaepernick saying he would not stand for "the flag", you'd have use believe it isn't a protest against the flag or the anthem. Kaepernick did it because he doesn't like this country, the police, the flag, or the anthem. Now everyone is trying to change the narrative and make it seem exclusive to police injustice when that was only a part of the reason why he did it.

Again, systematic injustice is root cause the players are trying to bring attention to. The percentage of minorities wrongly convicted of murder is 47%. Plus African Amercians have to wait twice as long to wait for their convictions to be overturned, I read a story ever day of a black person being freed after being wrongly convicted for alot of years. if you dont believe me, read the link below. 

No, 47% of those that were wrongly convicted for murder were black. That may be what you're trying to say but it doesn't appear that way. No one says the system is perfect. 2,000 wrongful convictions (1,000 black) over 30 years is almost statistically insignificantly. It's too many, yes, but it doesn't prove some systematic bias against black people. 34% were white... they're not too far behind. Besides, this study doesn't take into account the type of murder convictions. Hell, for all we know, it could be even for all races and we wouldn't know because if we knew how many were actually wrongfully convicted then they wouldn't be in there.

It could mean black people receive more attention on their cases and thus get their convictions overturned.

Your numbers don't help your argument. Hispanics have the lowest amount of time waiting for the wrongful conviction to be overturned. I thought the system was prejudiced against black and brown people? These articles are poorly worded. "Wrongdoing"? They don't even explain what "wrongdoing" includes. None of this proves your argument, but it seems your argument has shifted from police brutality to the court system..?

(10-19-2017, 04:01 PM)Kane Wrote: I know the laws regarding free speech on state funded campuses.
I'm talking about the irony and double-standard from many on the left who think free speech is all fine and dandy until some idiot with a myopic view of things wants to speak freely. Then it's protests and rioting galore to prevent said speech from being free, so to speak.

Have you ever read the First Amendment? It specifies there shall be no law prohibiting speech. Do I need to post a copy of the actual text to show you why FOS is permitted for guys like Richard Spencer?

(10-20-2017, 12:43 AM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:
(10-19-2017, 04:01 PM)Kane Wrote: I know the laws regarding free speech on state funded campuses.
I'm talking about the irony and double-standard from many on the left who think free speech is all fine and dandy until some idiot with a myopic view of things wants to speak freely. Then it's protests and rioting galore to prevent said speech from being free, so to speak.

Have you ever read the First Amendment? It specifies there shall be no law prohibiting speech. Do I need to post a copy of the actual text to show you why FOS is permitted for guys like Richard Spencer?

You totally aren’t grasping what he’s saying at all. It has nothing to do with the actual amendment, but the protesters trying to stop him from being able to exercise his right to free speech.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(10-19-2017, 11:43 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:
(10-19-2017, 10:24 PM)MalabarJag Wrote: While I have your attention, I'd like to ask a question. 

I've never worked for the jail, but personal statistics would show about 5% of my arrest were for drugs. I personally don't care about marijuana and wouldn't take someone unless they had more than an ounce. As for the jail in my county, I'd guess 70-80% is for domestic and probation issues. All of this is a guess, however, and I can't say definitively.

As for prison, the Department of Justice says 99.5% of drug offenders in prison are there for trafficking. Trafficking requires (if it was marijuana) would have to exceed 10 pounds. Only 12.5% of that 99.5% number is marijuana-related. 1,525,900 were under the care of correctional facilities, and 94,678 were drug offenders. That 6% so I'd say that 70% number is grossly inaccurate unless I'm misunderstanding something.

People are arrested for marijuana. It largely depends on the officer, so some people will take you for a gram while others will just throw it out the window. It does happen, but just being in jail for marijuana isn't the same as prison. I don't know of anyone who has gone to prison for marijuana possession. I've arrested far more people for driving without a valid license than I have marijuana.

(10-19-2017, 10:58 PM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote: No, it is irrelevant to you because you cant grasp the simple notion that there are people who have complex beliefs that don't fit the typical political identity.  There have been protest for equality on the national stage since the days of Tommy Smith,  Vince Matthews to Mahmoud Abdul-Rahif in the 90's. You know what happened to those people after they silently protested, they were suspended or banned from their respective sports. 

You're deflecting. It's irrelevant because you use racism as the source of disagreement for too many things. It doesn't matter if you say not all white conservatives are racist when your behavior supports a different line-of-thought. 

I'm fully aware of their point and why they chose to do it during the anthem. Despite Kaepernick saying he would not stand for "the flag", you'd have use believe it isn't a protest against the flag or the anthem. Kaepernick did it because he doesn't like this country, the police, the flag, or the anthem. Now everyone is trying to change the narrative and make it seem exclusive to police injustice when that was only a part of the reason why he did it.

No, 47% of those that were wrongly convicted for murder were black. That may be what you're trying to say but it doesn't appear that way. No one says the system is perfect. 2,000 wrongful convictions (1,000 black) over 30 years is almost statistically insignificantly. It's too many, yes, but it doesn't prove some systematic bias against black people. 34% were white... they're not too far behind. Besides, this study doesn't take into account the type of murder convictions. Hell, for all we know, it could be even for all races and we wouldn't know because if we knew how many were actually wrongfully convicted then they wouldn't be in there.

It could mean black people receive more attention on their cases and thus get their convictions overturned.

Your numbers don't help your argument. Hispanics have the lowest amount of time waiting for the wrongful conviction to be overturned. I thought the system was prejudiced against black and brown people? These articles are poorly worded. "Wrongdoing"? They don't even explain what "wrongdoing" includes. None of this proves your argument, but it seems your argument has shifted from police brutality to the court system..?

His point is racism. America is racist, Mother Earth is racist, economics is racist, law is racist, history, philosophy, music, art, the news, the military, the police, fire fighters, car manufacturers, sports, money, banks, Wall Street, colleges, airplanes, coffee, bacon, trees, the beach, horses, cows, hurricanes, earthquakes, the Dutch, internet message boards, pistols, tanks, Six Flags and Disney. Everything, everywhere, all the time is racist against black people.

Except fire ants, those little [BLEEP] hate every one indiscriminately.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(10-19-2017, 11:43 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:

(10-19-2017, 10:58 PM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote: No, it is irrelevant to you because you cant grasp the simple notion that there are people who have complex beliefs that don't fit the typical political identity.  There have been protest for equality on the national stage since the days of Tommy Smith,  Vince Matthews to Mahmoud Abdul-Rahif in the 90's. You know what happened to those people after they silently protested, they were suspended or banned from their respective sports. 

Simple and rational, but JFC will either ignore, deflect,  or say something asinine because everyone is racist towards him. 

I've seen people burn flags and disrespect it long before the players were kneeling for the anthem that were white and I can assure you the videos on Youtube show a strong reaction towards the white people as well.  It's an easy google search JFC, go take a look.

Without commenting on their accuracy, I believe the protesters agree the numbers are disproportional, they disagree with the conclusions you reach from them, and the reasons they are disproportional.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(10-20-2017, 07:09 AM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(10-20-2017, 12:43 AM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: Have you ever read the First Amendment? It specifies there shall be no law prohibiting speech. Do I need to post a copy of the actual text to show you why FOS is permitted for guys like Richard Spencer?

You totally aren’t grasping what he’s saying at all. It has nothing to do with the actual amendment, but the protesters trying to stop him from being able to exercise his right to free speech.

Like protesters have the ability to stop him.

(10-20-2017, 11:38 AM)rollerjag Wrote: Without commenting on their accuracy, I believe the protesters agree the numbers are disproportional, they disagree with the conclusions you reach from them, and the reasons they are disproportional.

Someone can disagree with it, but it doesn't mean they have a rational point.

The more violent encounters you have with police, the more likely you are to get shot. I'm not even sure their argument would allow them to disagree with my argument. In one poll, 73% of black Americans said police violence is a serious problem. I don't know how many times I pulled someone over for a traffic offense and they literally freak out thinking they're going to die. All the while, I've given them no reason to believe that to be a possibility. My point here is that if black Americans think violence is a serious issue with police, if they increase the number of encounters (violent encounters), then the natural response is to believe that they're increasing the chances of getting killed. How then can they disagree with my conclusion?

(This post was last modified: 10-20-2017, 02:29 PM by jradMITEX.)

When people start throwing out %, I always ask should a person or individual be treated any different because their race commits or doesn't commit crimes at a different rate than other races? I think they shouldn't be. So when they say black people are only 13% yet the commit a disproportional amount of crime, it insinuates to me that it is cool if all the black people are treated the same way innocent or guilty as the tiny fraction of the population that commit the crimes. Less than 1% of the black population commits these heinous crimes that are being referenced. Lost in those numbers and %, something hard to quantify in an aggregate way, is what amount of those people weren't doing something that should have gotten them killed or were those people dealt with differently because of their race. That is where the large % oversimplification fails, it cannot describe anecdotally what is strictly anecdotal. Also what is going unmentioned is the history and past transgressions that are seeped into the consciousness of segments of society. That can't be ignored and is definitely a factor in the opinions of individuals.
I disagree with the above conclusion on the individual level, if I have no criminal record but I look like someone who might, should I not fear being grouped with other people that do? Or worry about being profiled?

(10-20-2017, 11:47 AM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:
(10-20-2017, 07:09 AM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: You totally aren’t grasping what he’s saying at all. It has nothing to do with the actual amendment, but the protesters trying to stop him from being able to exercise his right to free speech.

Like protesters have the ability to stop him.

[Image: giphy.gif]