Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
State of emergency declared in Alachua County for white supremacist

(10-20-2017, 09:16 PM)rollerjag Wrote:
(10-20-2017, 07:12 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: I read that long ago, rj. That isn't new information. That unarmed number includes people that violently resist and are shot. You used Michael Brown of all people. You know, the guy that strong-arm robbed a convinced store and then physically assaulted a police officer. And he was only shot when he decided to turn around and charge him. Great example of "unarmed".

4% of police shootings are "unarmed" Americans. In 2015, 16 "unarmed" black men were killed by police. SIXTEEN. Let's assume for a moment that police were completely in the wrong here... this is an epidemic you'd have us believe is systematic racism against minorities? Out of the millions of police-to-citizen encounters, 16 "unarmed" black men were killed. Most of whom were fighting arrest.

However, I'll admit that it has happened. That is an issue with police negligence but definitely not a racial bias. The South Carolina shooting and the Florida shooting of the care taker come to mind.

As for your second comment, while you casually dismiss my "anecdotal" evidence, you nonchalantly use actual anecdotal evidence to support the notion that people think that DWB is an actual thing. I gave an actual example of me explained to a black couple that I was looking for a white couple, and they thought I pulled them over because they were black. I explained that to them. I explained everything. They didn't care. They undoubtedly thought they were stopped for DWB, but that's based on stupidity and willful ignorance.

Did you even read the statistics in the DWB link? They are not anecdotal.

So, no response to anything else?

The link is full of percentages that almost exclusively applies to the percentage and proportion to the population argument which is weak. As for my opinion, when the majority of violent crime happens in black neighborhoods, those neighborhoods receive the most attention from police. As a result, more minorities are stopped than their proportion to the population.

Have you ever driven through Lakewood, The Bluff, East Point, College Park, or Hopkins / Adair? I'd imagine you haven't or you have then you didn't slow down. These neighborhoods are almost exclusively black but beg for police. When the police come in, they're stopping mostly black people. Despite what you may believe, traffic stops for routine offenses is typically how police capture more hardened criminals.

Again, just because it's happened, it doesn't mean it's a standard practice. I don't doubt that a white cop has stopped a black man and did it because he's black. I've never heard another officer say or even indicate that they're stopping someone because they're black, but I've heard black officers say that find reasons to stop white men in mostly black neighborhoods. Of course, no one cares when that happens. 

I don't know what your point is with a Wikipedia link. It sources studies that just show blacks are disproportionally stopped, but we've already addressed all of that.

Messages In This Thread
RE: State of emergency declared in Alachua County for white supremacist - by JagNGeorgia - 10-20-2017, 10:03 PM