Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Coaching Staff deserves shout out

As if it weren't obvious, but Gus Bradley will likely never be a HC again after this turnaround. That guy was historically bad; this team was capable of learning how to win last year.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

It tells me Gus Bradley's players quit on him

Poor Gus. He was dealt a real bad hand. A complete tear-down and rebuild. It's hard to keep the players' attention when they lose that many games. He wound up being a sacrificial lamb. There's no way a team can go through 4 years of losing like that and keep up the effort without putting a new coach in there.

Just use your imagination to the best of your ability and picture what the team would be going through in these same scenarios with Gus in charge....the jags would be the butt of a joke every single week.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

(10-23-2017, 02:11 AM)Treestone Ice Wrote: As if it weren't obvious, but Gus Bradley will likely never be a HC again after this turnaround. That guy was historically bad; this team was capable of learning how to win last year.

Yeah he will...He'll land somewhere as a HC on a team that isn't horrible, but just not getting it done on the field...

(10-22-2017, 08:15 PM)temporaryname Wrote: Hmmm, just what we've all been waiting for....Another thinly disguiused Bortles bashing thread...

Why do some feel that honest assessment is bashing? I just don't get. Blake is in year 4 and we're still enamored whenever he has a good game. Even if it's against literally the worst defense in the league. Is he even in the top half of the league statistics wise? Yes, he had a good game yesterday but lets not start pretending he isn't the weakest link. One thing I will say, is that I prefer the coaches just take the leash off and let him throw down field more. I understand they're trying to minimize the costly turnovers but that's only one of 3 things that can happen when you take your shots.

I recall being told that we'd be starting all over again in 2018 because Caldwell is an idiot for keeping around all of these garbage coaches from Bradley's staff.

I recall being told that Coughlin would become the coach before the end of the season.

And just recently I was informed that Bortles career was surely doomed because Marrone was never going to let him throw because he and Hackett run a dinosaur offense.

Laughing

(10-22-2017, 11:57 PM)wrong_box Wrote:
(10-22-2017, 11:44 PM)TJBender Wrote: Respect is earned. Games like this earn it.

and you will flip flop on the next loss...so they are only good when they win and they suck when we lose...Gotcha

Well, no, but points for trying. I've been increasingly positive about this staff and the team's potential, despite my initial dislike of the decision to hire Marrone and keep Bortles. I think Marrone is a much better coach than I gave him credit for, and I still don't think Bortles is the answer. There are still things he could do to prove me wrong, but he's far too inconsistent, and you'd have a hard time trusting him.

There's a huge difference between not being sold on a team and "flip-flopping". I'm not sold yet, mostly because of the quarterback situation, but I really like what I've seen.

(This post was last modified: 10-23-2017, 02:01 PM by Cleatwood.)

(10-23-2017, 01:55 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(10-22-2017, 11:57 PM)wrong_box Wrote: and you will flip flop on the next loss...so they are only good when they win and they suck when we lose...Gotcha

Well, no, but points for trying. I've been increasingly positive about this staff and the team's potential, despite my initial dislike of the decision to hire Marrone and keep Bortles. I think Marrone is a much better coach than I gave him credit for, and I still don't think Bortles is the answer. There are still things he could do to prove me wrong, but he's far too inconsistent, and you'd have a hard time trusting him.

There's a huge difference between not being sold on a team and "flip-flopping". I'm not sold yet, mostly because of the quarterback situation, but I really like what I've seen.
I mostly agree with you. Bortles played very well but let's put it into context.

Just about every QB who has played the Colts has thrown for 300 yards. Kizer (who is unreal bad) threw for 240 and 2 TDs. Wilson threw for 295 but every other QB has thrown for over 300. Hoyer, Mariota, Palmer, Bortles, Goff.... That's not a bunch of world beaters out there. 

So although everyone is happy Blake had a good game, some people need to understand that a lot of us are still skeptical and rightfully so. Blake has done this too many times to just give him the benefit of the doubt. He followed up his "break out" Ravens game with a 145 yard game against the Jets.

If he can come out and play well against the Bengals and Chargers, then he may have turned the corner.

Yes, I think the coaches are relying on something that looks like this 

[Image: free-playbook-strategy-vector.jpg]

RATHER THAN THINKING THE OLE RAH RAH MOTIVATION WILL GET YOU VICTORIES.

I think if Gus was still around, this Colts game may have been our first win at this point in the season.

(10-23-2017, 01:55 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(10-22-2017, 11:57 PM)wrong_box Wrote: and you will flip flop on the next loss...so they are only good when they win and they suck when we lose...Gotcha

Everyone likes what they see when we win, but when we lose they want to fire everyone and the organization is stupid for keeping the coaches from Gus's regime, and Khan is moving the team to London, then when we win again Marrone and the rest of the coaches were the right pick, Bortles, may not be trash, he may be serviceable and the next loss will be back to the everyone sucks get rid of everyone and start over....Thats the [BLEEP] I'm talking about...Not being sold is one thing, but being sold one week and talking playoffs and then the next week saying the coaches dont know [BLEEP] from apple butter, and we have little talent is another

(This post was last modified: 10-24-2017, 01:25 AM by wrong_box.)

(10-23-2017, 02:00 PM)Frailbones Wrote:
(10-23-2017, 01:55 PM)TJBender Wrote: Well, no, but points for trying. I've been increasingly positive about this staff and the team's potential, despite my initial dislike of the decision to hire Marrone and keep Bortles. I think Marrone is a much better coach than I gave him credit for, and I still don't think Bortles is the answer. There are still things he could do to prove me wrong, but he's far too inconsistent, and you'd have a hard time trusting him.

I mostly agree with you. Bortles played very well but let's put it into context.

Just about every QB who has played the Colts has thrown for 300 yards. Kizer (who is unreal bad) threw for 240 and 2 TDs. Wilson threw for 295 but every other QB has thrown for over 300. Hoyer, Mariota, Palmer, Bortles, Goff.... That's not a bunch of world beaters out there. 

So although everyone is happy Blake had a good game, some people need to understand that a lot of us are still skeptical and rightfully so. Blake has done this too many times to just give him the benefit of the doubt. He followed up his "break out" Ravens game with a 145 yard game against the Jets.

If he can come out and play well against the Bengals and Chargers, then he may have turned the corner.
I get that...I dont get the ones who change their position more than they change their underwear...They only like what they see when we win if we lose it's because of everything they praised after the last win is total [BLEEP] and we have no one good enuff to step up when player "X" is out until they do something good in the next win and the same play calling they won all the games with sucks when we lose

(10-23-2017, 05:55 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Poor Gus.  He was dealt a real bad hand.  A complete tear-down and rebuild.  It's hard to keep the players' attention when they lose that many games.  He wound up being a sacrificial lamb.  There's no way a team can go through 4 years of losing like that and keep up the effort without putting a new coach in there.

Gus wasn't a sacrificial lamb.  More like a necessary extraction.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

I was telling a friend of mine this weekend (Colts fan, in Indy) that one of the biggest improvements I've seen on this team this year is that even in the games they have lost they don't quit. Last season, when we fell behind in a game it just seemed like the team quit and started just going through the motions. This season, even when behind the team seems to keep fighting. They BELIEVE they can be good this year... IMO the past few seasons that belief was missing.

(This post was last modified: 10-24-2017, 09:19 AM by JaguarKick.)

I agree.  Marrone, as I said when he was hired, is a hell of a coach.  Even looking at our losses, it's not like we've looked awful in any way, shape, or form.

Tennessee was turnovers getting our goat.  The Jets are clearly better than everyone thought. A freak running play, missed FGs, and a London hangover got us.  Random poor special teams play did us in against the Rams; the D still played well.

Blake is severely limited, but they need more regular deep throws sprinkled in like they were today.  Hopefully this was the beginning of such an approach, because if we see a passing performance like this coupled with Fournette I'm not sure anyone could beat us.

This is the first year where I genuinely believe we can beat anyone.

(10-22-2017, 11:41 PM)wrong_box Wrote: But, but, but,... the coaching staff are all holdovers from the Gus regime...They can't be good...The majority of this board was flat out pissed when this coaching staff was retained and screamed the Front Office had no clue how to run a NFL franchise, and Mr Khan was intentionally sabotaging this franchise so he could move it to London...FIRE EVERYONE RIGHT NOW!!!!

Today (and almost every win) they are great but next loss it's the same ol crap as above...

Pick a side and quit flip flopping, great when we win, stupid no nothings when we lose and should be fired before the crowd clears the stadium...

Why do you say that? You know that is not true at all. No, it is not funny.

(This post was last modified: 10-25-2017, 01:08 AM by wrong_box.)

(10-24-2017, 04:14 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:
(10-22-2017, 11:41 PM)wrong_box Wrote: But, but, but,... the coaching staff are all holdovers from the Gus regime...They can't be good...The majority of this board was flat out pissed when this coaching staff was retained and screamed the Front Office had no clue how to run a NFL franchise, and Mr Khan was intentionally sabotaging this franchise so he could move it to London...FIRE EVERYONE RIGHT NOW!!!!

Today (and almost every win) they are great but next loss it's the same ol crap as above...

Pick a side and quit flip flopping, great when we win, stupid no nothings when we lose and should be fired before the crowd clears the stadium...

Why do you say that? You know that is not true at all. No, it is not funny.
good lord...its sarcasm mixed with truth about what posters said on this board

(This post was last modified: 10-25-2017, 04:11 PM by Teal Time Radio.)

I called it from the getgo with Tom on as GM role and Doug as coach. And Hackett has been the truth the inspector gadget this year. And Todd most wanted canned. Fielding a monster D.
Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags