Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
***Official Miami Dolphins at Baltimore Ravens Thread***

(This post was last modified: 10-27-2017, 12:06 AM by JaguarsWoman.)

(10-26-2017, 11:57 PM)D6 Wrote:
(10-26-2017, 07:20 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: I don't care about the Dolphins. I just always want the Ravens to lose because of their mere existence. (Ohio native who knows Browns fans.)

Cleveland got the Browns nickname, team colors, and history back. The same can't be said for any other city that lost it's franchise. The Baltimore Ravens are NOT the Cleveland Browns.

I know they aren't. So do Browns fans who suffered three years with no football. People who root for the new Browns hate the Ravens.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(10-27-2017, 12:04 AM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:
(10-26-2017, 11:57 PM)D6 Wrote: Cleveland got the Browns nickname, team colors, and history back. The same can't be said for any other city that lost it's franchise. The Baltimore Ravens are NOT the Cleveland Browns.

I know they aren't. So do Browns fans who suffered three years with no football. People who root for the new Browns hate the Ravens.

Three years of no football was in part because the new Cleveland Browns Stadium was built on the same site as the old stadium.  That was Cleveland's choice. 

Baltimore went 12 seasons w/o NFL Football.  St. Louis is now up to 9,  when combining the 7 seasons after the Cardinals left before the Rams came and these last two seasons.  These cities will never get the nicknames, logos, and history back.

(10-26-2017, 11:11 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:
(10-26-2017, 11:04 PM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: Well at least we will gain tie breakers over both of these terrible teams now. Beat Ravens and they beat Miami.

Baltimore beating Miami does not give us a tiebreaker over the Dolphins. What helps us with a Dolphins loss is the possibility of a better conference record.

Ugh, 26-0 Wallbash

There is a procedure where if Miami, Baltimore, and Jacksonville tied at the end of the year where common opponents W-L-T matter. 

Either way you slice it, we gain from Baltimore winning this game because we actually hold a head to head tie breaker over them.

(10-27-2017, 12:12 AM)D6 Wrote:
(10-27-2017, 12:04 AM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: I know they aren't. So do Browns fans who suffered three years with no football. People who root for the new Browns hate the Ravens.

Three years of no football was in part because the new Cleveland Browns Stadium was built on the same site as the old stadium.  That was Cleveland's choice. 

Baltimore went 12 seasons w/o NFL Football.  St. Louis is now up to 9,  when combining the 7 seasons after the Cardinals left before the Rams came and these last two seasons.  These cities will never get the nicknames, logos, and history back.

That did not prevent longtime Browns fans from hating the Ravens more than any other team. They still felt robbed. I probably would root for the Ravens sometimes if I had no local acquaintances who are diehard Browns fans and hate the team. But the way it is, I just can't do it.

(10-27-2017, 01:43 AM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:
(10-27-2017, 12:12 AM)D6 Wrote: Three years of no football was in part because the new Cleveland Browns Stadium was built on the same site as the old stadium.  That was Cleveland's choice. 

That did not prevent longtime Browns fans from hating the Ravens more than any other team. They still felt robbed. I probably would root for the Ravens sometimes if I had no local acquaintances who are diehard Browns fans and hate the team. But the way it is, I just can't do it.

Luckily, you have 31 other teams to root for

There was no helmet to helmet hit, it was shoulder to helmet. Are we saying this should be illegal now too? Maybe you have to only hit with your arms in the future?

Again, this is 95% on Joe Flacco. He was trying to get the 1st down and paid the ultimate price for it. He will learn to slide earlier after this incident.

If the NFL wants to prevent these types of hits, then don't let the QB run past the LOS.

(10-27-2017, 09:44 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: There was no helmet to helmet hit, it was shoulder to helmet. Are we saying this should be illegal now too? Maybe you have to only hit with your arms in the future?

Again, this is 95% on Joe Flacco. He was trying to get the 1st down and paid the ultimate price for it. He will learn to slide earlier after this incident.  

If the NFL wants to prevent these types of hits, then don't let the QB run past the LOS.

I think they should do away with the protect the QB slide. It opens up the head for these types of "bang bang" plays. Illegal hit or not, on purpose or not, in real time, it just looks like football to me. Everything looks worse when you slo mo it.

If a QB is gonna tuck and run, he's a runner. Get tackled, or get out of bounds, the slide stuff is nonsense. 
Probably not a popular opinion but I always agreed with old man Vic when he said remove the facemasks from the helmets to reduce head to head collisions lol

(10-27-2017, 09:52 AM)Kane Wrote:
(10-27-2017, 09:44 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: There was no helmet to helmet hit, it was shoulder to helmet. Are we saying this should be illegal now too? Maybe you have to only hit with your arms in the future?

I think they should do away with the protect the QB slide. It opens up the head for these types of "bang bang" plays. Illegal hit or not, on purpose or not, in real time, it just looks like football to me. Everything looks worse when you slo mo it.

If a QB is gonna tuck and run, he's a runner. Get tackled, or get out of bounds, the slide stuff is nonsense. 
Probably not a popular opinion but I always agreed with old man Vic when he said remove the facemasks from the helmets to reduce head to head collisions lol

I agree with your opinion. If the QB stayed on his feet and just took the contact, there is far less chance of getting concussed than what happened last night. 

The NFL is already losing viewership, sissifying (its a word now) the game even more by removing face masks probably wouldn't be the greatest thing.

(This post was last modified: 10-27-2017, 10:39 AM by TJBender.)

"They should just put a skirt on the quarterback."

-Jack Lambert

(This post was last modified: 10-27-2017, 10:44 AM by Kane.)

(10-27-2017, 10:39 AM)TJBender Wrote:

"They should just put a skirt on the quarterback."

-Jack Lambert

[Image: 9k=][Image: 299478ed188b06a07bc9906b09d3bd4b--packer...ackers.jpg]

To get a first down, Flacco had to keep running. Giving himself up on the play sooner would guarantee he had no chance of getting it.

KIko Alonso was clearly trying to knock out Joe Flacco. The fact that his shoulder hit Flacco's helmet was not an accident. Alonso should have also gotten an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty that counts towaerd the two strikes rule for yelling at John Harbaugh on Baltimore's sideline.

Did anyone see this kitty in the second half? Listen to Tony Romo's funny narration.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highl...olute-gold

(10-27-2017, 01:42 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: Did anyone see this kitty in the second half? Listen to Tony Romo's funny narration.

Don't you have cats? Is that your cat?

(10-27-2017, 03:07 PM)Brett Wrote:
(10-27-2017, 01:42 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: Did anyone see this kitty in the second half? Listen to Tony Romo's funny narration.

Don't you have cats? Is that your cat?

LOL I have one cat and adopted her right here in Gainesville.

(10-27-2017, 03:12 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:
(10-27-2017, 03:07 PM)Brett Wrote: Don't you have cats? Is that your cat?

LOL I have one cat and adopted her right here in Gainesville.

Just saying....she could have escaped and ran away to Baltimore. I would recheck the litter box.

(10-27-2017, 03:29 PM)Brett Wrote:
(10-27-2017, 03:12 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: LOL I have one cat and adopted her right here in Gainesville.

Just saying....she could have escaped and ran away to Baltimore. I would recheck the litter box.

I don't want to derail the thread, but FYI my cat does not look similar to that one.

I assume it is a stray. Good thing he did not see the mascot ravens.

I was listening to some commentary on SiriusXM NFL Radio on my way home from work, and what they were talking about kind of makes sense.  I'm paraphrasing here, but the idea behind the commentary is that once ANY player crosses the line of scrimmage he becomes a runner and should have no protections (as with the slide rule).  I tend to agree with that.

I take back my earlier comment that the Miami player should have been ejected.  After looking at replays of the play, it wasn't a cheap shot and really had no chance of being avoided.  By the time Flacco started to slide the defender had already committed to the hit.  Look at it this way.  If you are a defender and see a player from the opposing team advancing the ball and running towards you, are you going to let up just because the player is a QB or are you going to try to make a play and prevent a first down?

I hate seeing injuries, but this is a violent sport and it happens.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(10-27-2017, 06:32 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I was listening to some commentary on SiriusXM NFL Radio on my way home from work, and what they were talking about kind of makes sense. I'm paraphrasing here, but the idea behind the commentary is that once ANY player crosses the line of scrimmage he becomes a runner and should have no protections (as with the slide rule). I tend to agree with that.

I take back my earlier comment that the Miami player should have been ejected. After looking at replays of the play, it wasn't a cheap shot and really had no chance of being avoided. By the time Flacco started to slide the defender had already committed to the hit. Look at it this way. If you are a defender and see a player from the opposing team advancing the ball and running towards you, are you going to let up just because the player is a QB or are you going to try to make a play and prevent a first down?

I hate seeing injuries, but this is a violent sport and it happens.

No player is allowed to hit the QB when he is sliding. At that point the QB is a defenseless player. Even if the hit was not dirty, by rule it deserved a flag. I often wonder why flags are not thrown when sliding QBs are hit because it is obviously unnecessary roughness.

Lost in the discussion is Baltimore's center not being flagged for UR when he pushed Kiko Alonso in the back. Wouldn't that be offsetting penalties?