Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Garoppolo to the 49ers for a 2nd

(10-31-2017, 09:02 AM)BlueEyedJag Wrote:
(10-31-2017, 08:11 AM)Achilles Wrote: So he didn't get a new deal as part of the trade so this really works for him. If he plays lights out, all kinds of teams are going to try to sign him.

He could try to work out a long term deal with San Fran, but if you just showed the league you've got the ability, why would you sign with San Francisco?

San Francisco could franchise tag him, but then they're paying I believe 23 million for 1 guy that doesn't wanna be there when their team needs a lot of help in a lot of areas.

There is no way they gave up the 33rd/34th pick in the draft for a half-season rental...

They will sign him long term or franchise him that is 100% barring some kind of injury.

Outside the franchise tag, it's not really their choice though.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 10-31-2017, 11:45 AM by jagherd.)

(10-31-2017, 10:06 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(10-30-2017, 11:43 PM)Upper Wrote: It's weird how this, and Jaguars reddit, are virtually the only places I can find where the consensus is that Garoppolo sucks. Everywhere else it's at least 50/50 and among the "experts" they are pretty convinced he is at worst a solid starter. I mean, I understand it's mostly because he and Blake were the same draft so there is some sort of rivalry bias but it's still weird that he has to be maligned for no real reason.

FWIW  -  I posted just earlier saying I think Garoppolo will do well in SF if they add a few more pieces on offense to help him.  

I'm not sold on the whole "product of the system" take.  At least, not with this guy.

^Agree with this. I  think Garoppolo is a good QB and may be a good starter in this league for a while. 

Yup, the problem is the rest of the 49ers' roster. Oh boy,,, they are bad!

Even with his talent, Jimmy G probably won't be successful there until they get some decent talent and experience on the rest of the roster. Probably gonna take 2-3 years.

This blogger offered some insight into why Hoyer was not involved in the trade, and spoiler: It wasn't about money

https://www.ninersnation.com/2017/10/31/...ck-formula

Did he go cheap for just a SF second round pick? Could we have potentially gotten him or did NE want him solely to go to a NFC team? Did we not try? Is he over rated? There were several discussions here about Jimmy earlier in the season and the potential of him coming here. Did we miss an opportunity?

(10-31-2017, 10:35 PM)JPK Wrote: Did he go cheap for just a SF second round pick? Could we have potentially gotten him or did NE want him solely to go to a NFC team? Did we not try? Is he over rated? There were several discussions here about Jimmy earlier in the season and the potential of him coming here. Did we miss an opportunity?

No. Belichick would have wanted far, far more from us than he took from SF. I posted about it earlier in the thread. Basically, by sending him to SF, he makes the contract not his problem, he avoids any QB controversy, and he gets Garoppolo the hell out of the AFC and onto a team that's five years away from being five years away from the playoffs. He's got his draft capital back and then some, and he never has to worry about having Garoppolo beat him in the playoffs.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(10-31-2017, 09:02 AM)BlueEyedJag Wrote:
(10-31-2017, 08:11 AM)Achilles Wrote: So he didn't get a new deal as part of the trade so this really works for him. If he plays lights out, all kinds of teams are going to try to sign him.

He could try to work out a long term deal with San Fran, but if you just showed the league you've got the ability, why would you sign with San Francisco?

San Francisco could franchise tag him, but then they're paying I believe 23 million for 1 guy that doesn't wanna be there when their team needs a lot of help in a lot of areas.

There is no way they gave up the 33rd/34th pick in the draft for a half-season rental...

They will sign him long term or franchise him that is 100% barring some kind of injury.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21296...-term-deal

"With a potential pick among the top two in the 2018 NFL draft and roughly $60 million in salary-cap space in the offseason, the 49ers ultimately could decide to draft their quarterback of the future or use some of their money to sign a free-agent quarterback such as Washington's [font=Georgia,]Kirk Cousins, sources said.[/font]

If the 49ers decide to not sign Garoppolo to a long-term deal, they could use a franchise tag on him and then dangle him to the highest bidder in a trade."
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

(11-05-2017, 05:46 PM)MikePete54 Wrote: https://twitter.com/FOXSports/status/927226546149924864

lol