Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Kelvin Benjamin traded to Bills

(10-31-2017, 10:26 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(10-31-2017, 07:54 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: I completely understand the trade from Buffalo's side.

What I don't understand is why Carolina would trade their best WR when they're in the mix of the division still.

I was about to say the same thing. I don't get it at all. First the Dolphins give away an elite RB and now the Panthers trade away the only good WR on their roster when they are still in the playoff picture. What did this accomplish? I have no idea what the Panthers were doing. They have no run game this year and now Cam has no one to throw to.

Jay Ajayi is nowhere near elite. He had one very good season and has been struggling a lot this year. But that trade does not make sense either because he was Miami's best RB by a long shot.

Every year there are several head-scratching trades like this. Carolina's interim GM has some explaining to do.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(10-31-2017, 07:54 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: I completely understand the trade from Buffalo's side.

What I don't understand is why Carolina would trade their best WR when they're in the mix of the division still.

Same here on both sides of the trade.  This trade certainly feels like good news for the Panthers remaining opponents.

(10-31-2017, 08:16 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:

Maybe Kelvin Benjamin was no longer Carolina's best WR.

Their second-best receiver is a tight end who wears the wrong number.

(11-01-2017, 12:16 AM)TJBender Wrote:
(10-31-2017, 08:16 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: Maybe Kelvin Benjamin was no longer Carolina's best WR.

How do you know that guy wears the wrong number?

(11-01-2017, 12:16 AM)TJBender Wrote:
(10-31-2017, 08:16 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: Maybe Kelvin Benjamin was no longer Carolina's best WR.

Funchess has been out playing Benjamin and actually looks to be developing into a decent receiver this year.

(This post was last modified: 11-01-2017, 11:06 AM by Billsfan1212.)

(10-31-2017, 08:32 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

yes he is, and one of the most underrated at that

Whats most concerning is this guy named Kaelin Clay...

After jettisoning Sammy, we had ZERO ability to get deep. We've always had a speed burner for Taylor because he can have a great deep ball. Goodwin went to SF and his replacement Kolby Listenbee couldnt find the field and got cut we had zip. So, we got Clay from CAR and gave him a shot. He ran terrible routes and failed to contribute on ANY level what so ever and we were desperate for ANYTHING. Detonte Thompson comes in and looks like he can play the deep ball threat so we cut Clay after a few weeks of terribleness.

Now, I'm reading CAR GM saying this trade will give guys like Kaelin Clay (CAR picked him back up after trading him) a chance to get on the field!?!?!
uuuuhhhhhh what?!?

I get a duplication in the skill set and Funchess is younger and cheaper. In a 3rd though, we give up (and theres always a chance someone becomes an all pro) a potential bit starter or a plug and play 3rd rd talent. We had 2 picks in each of the 1st 3 rds for a total of 6.  now we are down a 3rd... but I just feel like the chances of that 3rd turning into KB are slim to none. So how badly does CAR want to get other guys on the field?? apparently bad enough to make the trade b/c I dont think its fair compensation.

Maybe something is a foot the public will never know.
More scary, maybe this doesn't work. Taylor is SSOO protective of the ball he wont throw to guys unless they are college open. He does make tough throws, but they are very safe where if they arent caught they fall high, or out of bounds.
KB wont get Sammy separation.   Charles Clay has the benefit of squirting out after the blocking and getting wide open.
KB wont have that so my biggest fear is we dont find a way to utilize him.
We kick WWWAAAAYYYYY to many FG, so hopefully he becomes the difference between 3 and 6 points. 
Fingers crossed

(11-01-2017, 11:01 AM)Billsfan1212 Wrote:
(10-31-2017, 08:32 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: yes he is, and one of the most underrated at that

Whats most concerning is this guy named Kaelin Clay...

After jettisoning Sammy, we had ZERO ability to get deep. We've always had a speed burner for Taylor because he can have a great deep ball. Goodwin went to SF and his replacement Kolby Listenbee couldnt find the field and got cut we had zip. So, we got Clay from CAR and gave him a shot. He ran terrible routes and failed to contribute on ANY level what so ever and we were desperate for ANYTHING. Detonte Thompson comes in and looks like he can play the deep ball threat so we cut Clay after a few weeks of terribleness.

Now, I'm reading CAR GM saying this trade will give guys like Kaelin Clay (CAR picked him back up after trading him) a chance to get on the field!?!?!
uuuuhhhhhh what?!?

I get a duplication in the skill set and Funchess is younger and cheaper. In a 3rd though, we give up (and theres always a chance someone becomes an all pro) a potential bit starter or a plug and play 3rd rd talent. We had 2 picks in each of the 1st 3 rds for a total of 6.  now we are down a 3rd... but I just feel like the chances of that 3rd turning into KB are slim to none. So how badly does CAR want to get other guys on the field?? apparently bad enough to make the trade b/c I dont think its fair compensation.

More scary, maybe this doesn't work. Taylor is SSOO protective of the ball he wont throw to guys unless they are college open. He does make tough throws, but they are very safe where if they arent caught they fall high, or out of bounds.
KB wont get Sammy separation.   Charles Clay has the benefit of squirting out after the blocking and getting wide open.
We kick WWWAAAAYYYYY to many FG, so hopefully he becomes the difference between 3 and 6 points. 
Fingers crossed

What, if anything, do you think this trade says about Zay Jones?

I've read he has lost his confidence and isn't performing up to expectations. Do you think this deal was a hedge against Jones being a disappointment/bust, or wholly unrelated?

I think if he (Benjamin) is healthy and in shape, he'll be a very good red zone threat for you guys.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(11-01-2017, 11:15 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(11-01-2017, 11:01 AM)Billsfan1212 Wrote: Whats most concerning is this guy named Kaelin Clay...

uuuuhhhhhh what?!?

Fingers crossed

What, if anything, do you think this trade says about Zay Jones?

I've read he has lost his confidence and isn't performing up to expectations. Do you think this deal was a hedge against Jones being a disappointment/bust, or wholly unrelated?

I think if he (Benjamin) is healthy and in shape, he'll be a very good red zone threat for you guys.

Bean was on XM last night with Polian and essentially said they plan to move Jones from the X receiver to the slot (Z?). That they'll find ways to get KB involved in the meantime while they fine tune the transition.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(This post was last modified: 11-01-2017, 03:07 PM by Billsfan1212.)

Figured I'd move this here as its more appropriate

Thanks, I hit that up. Long story short... I'm not really sure what the Panthers are thinking. My 1st thought was that it was similar to this in the team believed it was addition by subtraction..... to an extent, the GM is implying via this opening up more time for Funchess and co. Was he a head case? Locker room issue? After listening to Carolina radio and reading the local articles there seems to be a few people talking about weight and desire as well as a trick knee - but it seems to be getting universally panned. My favorite was a write up from somewhere (SI maybe) that rated it a A+ for the Bills and the Panthers grade was :Millen
We NEEDED something. Although he might not be elite, he is far better than anything we have. It really might just be as simple as CAR wants to shake things up and wanted to get something for him if they didnt plan on extending him after 2018... but a 3/7 still seems cheap.
I just hope he fits. Taylor needs guys to be college open. Sammy was the only guy hes ever trusted to grab a 50/50 ball but he could burn. He wont see that kind of separation with KB so hopefully they build a rapport and this isnt a wasted weapon.
I was/am happy, but cant get past what happens to have a team thats 5-3 trade their #1 midseason for a 3?
If it seems to good to be true..... [Image: smile.png]
The writing was on the wall for Dareus and he needed a change. I cant figure out what reasoning besides wanting to feature Funchess that theyd do this.
I think some Buffalo fans are getting a little carried away, throwing around words like ELITE and REAL #1... IMO Good WR, specific skill set - nice accompaniment...NOT Wakins talent though. which is ok bc in a vaccum they essentially turned Cardale Jones(got a 7th sent to CAR), Sammy Watkins, and Darby into Jordan Matthews, EJ Gaines, a 2nd, and Kelvin Benjiman. Compared to the incompetency that has burdened this team for the last 6 years its a nice change of pace.
For the record, at this point I FULLY ADMIT if I was a CAR fan or situations were reversed - Id be SUPER SALTY!!!
For that reason alone I havent logged into my CAR message board account[Image: smile.png]

I really like ZAY. I feel bad for the kid. He had a comment about how hard it was hearing kids make fun of you. He seems to work hard and be a grinder - just in his head a little. I feel like if you are aware enough to be hurt by children laughing at you, the issues are getting to you.
Before last game, he rec/targets/drops were historically bad numbers. a few receptions help make those not as skewed.
It started the 2nd game of the year. with 3 sec left he got wide open and TT threw a ball too high for him but he got both hands on it. Had he have caught it, they would have won the game. Bad pass or drop, he was apparently crying in the locker room after for letting his team down and since then he has been on the wrong side of bad passes, skipped balls, balls hitting him in the hands, and off the numbers. I think its just rookie stuff BUT its important he knows that and doesn't dwell on it. TT kept going back to him and says he trusts him so hopefully now hes moved past it. I was almost comical/unbelievable for a game or two there.
NOW THE INTERESTING PART - Zay has 2 or 3 FANTASTIC Circus CRAZY catches this year. Sadly, theyve all been out of bounds. One was even like 3 or 4 yards out of bounds that I thought was uncatchable and was impressed he pulled it in b/c it looked like a throwaway.

I think he has the potential to be good. We NEED him to be good. He was unfairly kinda made the #1b/c by default and just wasnt ready. Hopefully he recovers and it dosent ruin him but he seems to be too much of a grinder to not at least have a good shot at it.

(11-01-2017, 02:37 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(11-01-2017, 11:15 AM)Bullseye Wrote: What, if anything, do you think this trade says about Zay Jones?

Bean was on XM last night with Polian and essentially said they plan to move Jones from the X receiver to the slot (Z?). That they'll find ways to get KB involved in the meantime while they fine tune the transition.

X is the primary outside position that A-Rob played for us - lines up at the line and must beat the jam. (split-end)
Y is the slot.
Z is where Lee used to play - lines up outside and off the line, free to motion, run the end-around etc.  (flanker)

Now we have the answer people were waiting for about Kelvin Benjamin being traded away.

(10-31-2017, 09:20 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I have to wonder if there was a rift between Benji and the Diva...

[Image: cam_cowboy.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1]

http://www.12up.com/posts/5749113-cam-ne..._aid=41147

Funchess and Benjamin were essentially the same type of WR.

Not saying it was the right/wrong move either way...

But apparently they feel good about the young guys behind them. (Curtis Samuel)

Run CMC is gonna be a busy dude.
Also, I think they get Olsen back soon?

(11-01-2017, 04:12 PM)Kane Wrote: Funchess and Benjamin were essentially the same type of WR.

Not saying it was the right/wrong move either way...

But apparently they feel good about the young guys behind them. (Curtis Samuel)

Run CMC is gonna be a busy dude.
Also, I think they get Olsen back soon?

Sounds like GO will be back sooner than later.
Even trying to be unbias-- If im a panthers fan, I think this run nonsense is silly.

This appears to be a complete spin article that if im a panthers fan makes it worse...
http://www.panthers.com/news/article-2/W...0dfddcdcfd
Philly Freaking Brown? Not to mention the lowly BILLS receiving core has cut him 2x.

I always wanna get behind my teams moves and 'trust the process' but if my team started telling me trading my x WR was to open up the freaking run game?!?!
Hell, I dealt with trading Sammy. It left em high and dry this year at WR, but they told us it was for the future and it was easier to grasp and adjust to.
I feel like even saying "we didnt want him at 8+ next yr so letting him go for SOMETHING now" is the smart play and would have its supporters...
Not this will help our running game and get scrubs on the field...

Billsfan, I'd really love to talk the trade with you but I honestly can't handle the books you keep writing. No offense, I just don't have that kind of attention span.

I tend to think there was probably a rift between Kelvin and cam. Kelvin is a talented player, and it helps the bills either way, but Kelvin takes plays off, he's shown up to camp way out of shape, he looks like he puts minimal effort into the game of football and his stats and play on the field reflect that.

He's decent but he could be way better. Maybe the new scenery will motivate him. Either way, the bills probably should have just kept Sammy, and now they've been scrambling ever since to patch the hole he left.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

(11-01-2017, 03:13 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-01-2017, 02:37 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Bean was on XM last night with Polian and essentially said they plan to move Jones from the X receiver to the slot (Z?). That they'll find ways to get KB involved in the meantime while they fine tune the transition.

X is the primary outside position that A-Rob played for us - lines up at the line and must beat the jam. (split-end)
Y is the slot.
Z is where Lee used to play - lines up outside and off the line, free to motion, run the end-around etc.  (flanker)
The above is correct.

For further clarification, in formations where a TE is utilized, Y is the usual designation for the TE.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(11-02-2017, 09:54 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(11-01-2017, 03:13 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: X is the primary outside position that A-Rob played for us - lines up at the line and must beat the jam. (split-end)
Y is the slot.
The above is correct.

For further clarification, in formations where a TE is utilized, Y is the usual designation for the TE.

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification guys. Then they would be moving Jones to the Y. They didn't specify the receiver spot at the point. They said KB will be the X and move Jones to the slot.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

To be fair to the Panthers. They had their best season without Benjamin.

This really jacks up my fantasy football this week... Most of my flex/wr/rbs are on a bye this week... Going to have to play Corey Davis(who I have been holding out hope for) against a beast secondary, or Benji... Who probably won't see more than 5-10 snaps in this game. I wish I had better WRs available lol.

(11-02-2017, 11:34 AM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: This really jacks up my fantasy football this week... Most of my flex/wr/rbs are on a bye this week... Going to have to play Corey Davis(who I have been holding out hope for) against a beast secondary, or Benji... Who probably won't see more than 5-10 snaps in this game. I wish I had better WRs available lol.

I'm willing to bet you could pick up Ryan Anderson on the wire..