Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Browns 5 minutes late to land AJ MCCaron

(10-31-2017, 10:59 PM)ShivanWurm Wrote: This with the story that the Browns coaching is super pissed that FO left early Monday and missed out on the  Garappolo trade. Getting the feeling the people in charge in Cleveland don't know what the hell there doing.

I have known that since they decided to trade away their #2 pick that inevitably was going to be a franchise QB. this story just adds snow to the avalanche.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 11-01-2017, 12:06 AM by D6.)

(10-31-2017, 07:09 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: I think their incompetence saved them here.  I don’t think McCarron is going to be anybody’s savior and isn’t worth what was reportedly agreed to, especially considering where the browns will be drafting in each round.

On top of what you mentioned, which I agree with,  the player could easily be on the Free Agent market in March w/o restrictions.   The Browns lucked out big time.

(10-31-2017, 08:12 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Gotta say though, this should tell you all you need to know about McCarron. Cincy wouldn't be trading a potential franchise QB to a division rival.

Absolutely.  They tried to take advantage of a panic move in Northeast Ohio.

(10-31-2017, 10:59 PM)ShivanWurm Wrote: This with the story that the Browns coaching is super pissed that FO left early Monday and missed out on the  Garappolo trade. Getting the feeling the people in charge in Cleveland dont know what the hell there doing.

The Browns organization is pulling in different directions.  They are the NFL definition of dysfunctional.

So the Browns screw up the pursuit of Garoppolo, then, depending on who you believe, either sent their documentation to the Bengals instead of the league office or didn't send it in at all. In the meantime, the man they drafted six months ago to be the franchise QB has now been more or less neutered, given the juggling on and off the bench and now the failed pursuit of two other QBs at the trade deadline. Good thing they spent a second-round pick on a QB they saw greatness in, right? For the record, JuJu Smith-Schuster was drafted ten slots after they got their "franchise QB" who was basically given up on in eight games.

If anyone in the Browns' FO has a job in the morning, ownership has failed. Hue Jackson was a solid HC with the Raiders who got screwed by the team's new GM wanting his own guy (how'd that work out for them?), he's an excellent OC, and I refuse to believe that the dysfunction there has his name all over it. Hell, I was sure when he took the Browns job that he'd become another casualty.

On the plus side, we're going to have one hell of an assistant head coach/QBs next year.

(10-31-2017, 08:29 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(10-31-2017, 08:18 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: Nothing tells you everything we need to know about A.J. McCarron. He was never going to be a franchise QB because the Bungles already had one.

So becase he was on the bench of a team with a guy in place, there's zero chance he could have the talent to be a franchise QB?

I was only saying A.J. McCarron had no chance of being Cincinnati's franchise QB and will have to get that unofficial job title somewhere else.

(This post was last modified: 11-01-2017, 03:23 AM by Bullseye.)

(11-01-2017, 12:01 AM)D6 Wrote:
(10-31-2017, 07:09 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: I think their incompetence saved them here.  I don’t think McCarron is going to be anybody’s savior and isn’t worth what was reportedly agreed to, especially considering where the browns will be drafting in each round.

On top of what you mentioned, which I agree with,  the player could easily be on the Free Agent market in March w/o restrictions.   The Browns lucked out big time.

(10-31-2017, 08:12 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Gotta say though, this should tell you all you need to know about McCarron. Cincy wouldn't be trading a potential franchise QB to a division rival.

Or alternatively, they wanted to maximize the return on losing him.

If they didn't deal him now, he would leave as a free agent.  The MOST they could have gotten in compensation for him leaving would be a 3rd round pick from the league...in 2019, but that is unlikely.  Now that the terms are out for a 2nd rounder, I don't see any team willing to pay more by this offseason, unless Dalton gets hurt/benched and misses the end of the season, and McCarron does well on an extended tryout.

Trading him to Cleveland would have added a 2nd round pick +.

I don't think Cleveland would have been "doomed" had they acquired McCarron.  If they gave him a trial to season's end and he failed, Cleveland has so many draft picks, it would be no big deal.  If he succeeded for them, they only spent a 2nd round pick for a quality QB, and they still have a bunch of picks to build around him.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 11-01-2017, 04:12 AM by ShivanWurm.)

(11-01-2017, 12:09 AM)D6 Wrote:
(10-31-2017, 10:59 PM)ShivanWurm Wrote: This with the story that the Browns coaching is super pissed that FO left early Monday and missed out on the  Garappolo trade. Getting the feeling the people in charge in Cleveland dont know what the hell there doing.

The Browns organization is pulling in different directions.  They are the NFL definition of dysfunctional.

I've thought they have been bad for awhile, but it's like their shooting the bat signal of incompetence this week.

(11-01-2017, 03:37 AM)ShivanWurm Wrote:
(11-01-2017, 12:09 AM)D6 Wrote: The Browns organization is pulling in different directions.  They are the NFL definition of dysfunctional.

I've thought they have been bad for awhile, but it's like there shooting the bat signal of incompetence this week.

Laughing Laughing Laughing 

Great visual and analogy!

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(11-01-2017, 12:01 AM)D6 Wrote:

On top of what you mentioned, which I agree with,  the player could easily be on the Free Agent market in March w/o restrictions.  The Browns lucked out big time.

How did the Browns "luck out" if another team could have easily scooped up A.J. McCarron on March 9? The fact they were willing to give up a second and a third tells me they didn't want to risk missing out on him in free agency. (I know the Browns have a boatload of picks, but they normally don't use them to trade for veteran players.)

So funny... I'm not sure which one is dumber... agreeing to that trade or screwing up that trade. The Browns need to be scrapped and sold for parts.

(10-31-2017, 09:12 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: 91% sure that’s an untrue report.

Browns signed the trade and sent a copy to Bengals to sign and send to NFL. Bengals sent the copy signed only by the Browns.

As if to say "You see what these fools wanted to give us for our Dalton replacement next year abhahahaha within the division bwahahaha"

Welp.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

One of the reporters on ESPN radio suggested that someone in the Browns front office sabotaged the deal on purpose, because they didn't want the trade to go through. It sounds outlandish, but there may be something to it. ESPN reported a couple of days ago that Hue really wanted DeShaun Watson last year and ownership said no, then he begged them to get Jimmy G. and again they told him no, then we have this debacle. It also said he did not want to draft Deshone Kizer, but was basically out-voted. If it were me, I'd just walk away. When they go 0-16, he's gonna be made out to be the scapegoat by the front office anyway. He seems to be getting road blocks put down in front of him with every move he wants to make.

Conversely, Marvin Lewis did not want to lose A.J. McCarron. So why did Mike Brown want to send McCarron to Cleveland? That makes no sense.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...ll-through

(11-01-2017, 05:50 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: One of the reporters on ESPN radio suggested that someone in the Browns front office sabotaged the deal on purpose, because they didn't want the trade to go through. It sounds outlandish, but there may be something to it. ESPN reported a couple of days ago that Hue really wanted DeShaun Watson last year and ownership said no, then he begged them to get Jimmy G. and again they told him no, then we have this debacle. It also said he did not want to draft Deshone Kizer, but was basically out-voted. If it were me, I'd just walk away. When they go 0-16, he's gonna be made out to be the scapegoat by the front office anyway. He seems to be getting road blocks put down in front of him with every move he wants to make.

And everybody was praising what they did acquiring all of those draft picks this year.

LOL

Doesn't matter how many picks you have if you have imbeciles running the FO.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(11-01-2017, 02:59 AM)CBullseye Wrote:
(11-01-2017, 12:01 AM)D6 Wrote: On top of what you mentioned, which I agree with,  the player could easily be on the Free Agent market in March w/o restrictions.   The Browns lucked out big time.

Or alternatively, they wanted to maximize the return on losing him.

If they didn't deal him now, he would leave as a free agent.  The MOST they could have gotten in compensation for him leaving would be a 3rd round pick from the league...in 2019, but that is unlikely.  Now that the terms are out for a 2nd rounder, I don't see any team willing to pay more by this offseason, unless Dalton gets hurt/benched and misses the end of the season, and McCarron does well on an extended tryout.

Trading him to Cleveland would have added a 2nd round pick +.

I don't think Cleveland would have been "doomed" had they acquired McCarron.  If they gave him a trial to season's end and he failed, Cleveland has so many draft picks, it would be no big deal.  If he succeeded for them, they only spent a 2nd round pick for a quality QB, and they still have a bunch of picks to build around him.

If the Bengals organization, either the Brown Family, Marvin Lewis,  or the key football in the front office thought A.J. McCarron realistically could be a Franchise QB,  I don't think they would have traded him unless another team offered them the moon.   That much more to a divisional opponent.  

A major reason why I thought this was a bad trade for the Browns is they likely would have passed on a QB in the 1st Round unless the value was through the roof.  The impression the Browns give is they are accumulating and then throwing darts hoping to finally hit the target.

(11-01-2017, 05:14 AM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:
(11-01-2017, 12:01 AM)D6 Wrote: On top of what you mentioned, which I agree with,  the player could easily be on the Free Agent market in March w/o restrictions.  The Browns lucked out big time.

How did the Browns "luck out" if another team could have easily scooped up A.J. McCarron on March 9? The fact they were willing to give up a second and a third tells me they didn't want to risk missing out on him in free agency. (I know the Browns have a boatload of picks, but they normally don't use them to trade for veteran players.)

They still have a realistic chance or better being able to sign him as an UFA.  If they were unable to, they have the resources to solve their QB situation in a much better manner.

If the Browns continue to go in many different directions in terms of front office and coaching,  they will end up screwing up regardless.

(11-02-2017, 07:56 PM)D6 Wrote: If the Bengals organization, either the Brown Family, Marvin Lewis, or the key football in the front office thought A.J. McCarron realistically could be a Franchise QB, I don't think they would have traded him unless another team offered them the moon.That much more to a divisional opponent.  

A major reason why I thought this was a bad trade for the Browns is they likely would have passed on a QB in the 1st Round unless the value was through the roof. The impression the Browns give is they are accumulating and then throwing darts hoping to finally hit the target.

Yet Marvin Lewis sounded happy the Clowns botched the trade. Go figure. That to me indicates Mike Brown made an arbitrary decision without listening to Lewis.

I agree 100% on your second point. If the Browns had any level of competence, their QB would be Carson Wentz. Shasi Brown said during the draft process his strategy of collecting picks is to throw darts. If he misses, he can try again. That is a horrible draft strategy, as we have seen over and over again with the later picks they collect. To me if you need a guy who has been widely projected as a top five pick and have a top five pick, passing on him intentionally to keep trading down is asking for failure. Imagine what our defense would be like without Jalen Ramsey and Dante Fowler.

(11-01-2017, 06:39 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: Conversely, Marvin Lewis did not want to lose A.J. McCarron. So why did Mike Brown want to send McCarron to Cleveland? That makes no sense.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...ll-through

Lewis wasn't gonna say "man. I was hoping we would get rid of him"
Lewis is only suppose to coach the team that is given to him. The gm manages the team so it makes sense that the gm wants to trade a backup qb who they probably can't keep and get some draft picks.

(11-02-2017, 08:47 AM)Rico Wrote:
(11-01-2017, 05:50 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: One of the reporters on ESPN radio suggested that someone in the Browns front office sabotaged the deal on purpose, because they didn't want the trade to go through. It sounds outlandish, but there may be something to it. ESPN reported a couple of days ago that Hue really wanted DeShaun Watson last year and ownership said no, then he begged them to get Jimmy G. and again they told him no, then we have this debacle. It also said he did not want to draft Deshone Kizer, but was basically out-voted. If it were me, I'd just walk away. When they go 0-16, he's gonna be made out to be the scapegoat by the front office anyway. He seems to be getting road blocks put down in front of him with every move he wants to make.

And everybody was praising what they did acquiring all of those draft picks this year.

LOL

Doesn't matter how many picks you have if you have imbeciles running the FO.

Lol. That's true.

They own both of Houston's 1st and 2nd round picks next draft (they got the 1st round pick for trading with Houston to pick Watson ; they got the 2nd round pick from the Brock Osweiler deal). 

Houston has no 1st and 2nd round picks next year (I think), which is good for the Jags. 

But, what Cleveland does with those picks is ANYBODY'S guess!