Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
D-Line Rotation/Depth post-bye

This line is finally built to have multiple looks and keep fresh legs on the field that can harass quarterbacks.
Just look at this depth:

WSDE: Yannick Ngakoue,  Dante Fowler, Lerentee McCray (if needed) 
NT: Marcell Dareus , Abry Jones, Eli Ankou
DT: Malik Jackson, Dareus, Sheldon Day, (Campbell if desired in nickel)
SSDE: Calais Campbell, Dawuane Smoot, (Fowler in nickel possibly)

That's a pretty impressive group.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

That is a very impressive group. Dareus has to help our run defense. I also would not be shocked if he is a two year guy. I know his contract is longer than that but I am pretty sure his guaranteed money stuff ends after the 2018 season.

On a side note. I would say if Jackson is not cut in the offseason I guarantee Colvin is gone but I think Colvin is gone no mater what. To be honest I thnk our LB's and starting DB's are making Colvin look good.
Jaguars | Pacers | Purdue | Team USA

(11-01-2017, 10:08 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: This line is finally built to have multiple looks and keep fresh legs on the field that can harass quarterbacks.
Just look at this depth:

WSDE: Yannick Ngakoue,  Dante Fowler, Lerentee McCray (if needed) 
NT: Marcell Dareus , Abry Jones, Eli Ankou
DT: Malik Jackson, Dareus, Sheldon Day, (Campbell if desired in nickel)
SSDE: Calais Campbell, Dawuane Smoot, (Fowler in nickel possibly)

That's a pretty impressive group.

It is, and the flexibility it provides is considerable, because there are no fewer than six guys capable of rushing the passer-Ngakoue, Fowler, Campbell, Jackson, Dareus and Day.  The size enables better run defense and odd fronts on occasion.

There could be a "speed" DL of Ngakoue, Day, Campbell, and Fowler using tackles, or if we utilized a TC like all DE pass rush, Smoot and McCray could rush from inside as well.

I also think the addition of Dareus could enable Jackson to get healthier due to fewer reps.

In fact, looking at that group overall, I think it is the most talented and deepest group overall in team history.

More/better pass rushers than either the 1999 or JDR era teams.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We finally have the horses on the dline.  

Sheldon Day is probably our #4 in the pecking order for interior players which is mighty impressive. Even a guy like Ankou has flashed when he's played and was impressive for the Texans.  

I'd like to see them really knuckle down on run fits this week. They're getting after the QB at an insane rate but in the run they've played sloppy and the same effort hasn't really been there imo. Have faith they'll come good.

(11-01-2017, 10:22 AM)JackCity Wrote: We finally have the horses on the dline.  

Sheldon Day is probably our #4 in the pecking order for interior players which is mighty impressive. Even a guy like Ankou has flashed when he's played and was impressive for the Texans.  

I'd like to see them really knuckle down on run fits this week. They're getting after the QB at an insane rate but in the run they've played sloppy and the same effort hasn't really been there imo. Have faith they'll come good.

While I'd like to hope the run defense improves this week (it might if what Bengals fans say about their OL is true), I don't know if we will see how much it will improve until Dareus learns the defense and is fully incorporated into it.  I'd say by the Arizona game or so.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

It's an impressive and complete group.
If Dareus manages to find motivations the quality and the rotation will be even more impressive. Sheldon Day has shown progress, Ankou played well when called up, depth is definitely there. I want to see Smoot improve as well.
It will be important to be able to rotate players and have them fresh.

(11-01-2017, 02:31 PM)irontrooper83 Wrote: It's an impressive and complete group.
If Dareus manages to find motivations the quality and the rotation will be even more impressive. Sheldon Day has shown progress, Ankou played well when called up, depth is definitely there. I want to see Smoot improve as well.

Good thing about Smoot is he is a rookie and has great talent to learn from. Not all rookies are studs right off the bat.
Jaguars | Pacers | Purdue | Team USA

(11-01-2017, 02:48 PM)Browntrouser Wrote:
(11-01-2017, 02:31 PM)irontrooper83 Wrote: It's an impressive and complete group.

Good thing about Smoot is he is a rookie and has great talent to learn from. Not all rookies are studs right off the bat.

That - and he's actually made a handful of good plays against the run already.

(11-01-2017, 02:48 PM)Browntrouser Wrote:

Of course, i didn't mean to complain about his performances so far, just looking forward to his development and with all the talent on the line he surely has lots of guys to learn from and to rely on.
Great situation for him.

(11-01-2017, 02:48 PM)Browntrouser Wrote: Good thing about Smoot is he is a rookie and has great talent to learn from. Not all rookies are studs right off the bat.

Smoot is not a stud right off the bat either, but could be very productive in the rotation.